readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/20/18 3:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
PG Toliver
SG Atkins
SF Currie
PF Delle Donne
C Thomas

Also, I have a feeling coming out of training camp AJ Alix will make the Mystics roster.

I seriously doubt Atkins starts. Because TRP = Defense + rebounds. I do think she'll be very important, especially before Tayler is ready to play. It depends on how quickly she picks up the defensive schemes.

Of course, if TRP doesn't start, she'll help Cloud anchor the defense on the 2nd team, which is a good thing.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/20/18 3:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

My starting lineup:

PG: Toliver
SG: Currie
SF: TRP
PF: EDD
C: Thomas

RAF I kinda like this lineup, though I think when Hill is really healthy she will be the starter. At which point I would start Currie at the SF (even though she's getting toward the end of her career) instead of TRP. TRP to me has always been a decent backup but not really a starter. The only reason not to do that might be that Mo is a better scorer so can come in with the 'second' squad to be a scorer...especially since Cloud is not a scorer so it could offset that issue.

I agree. Currie over TRP because of offense. I wonder if SWK has done the work to earn some minutes.

~rAf
Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/20/18 3:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

My starting lineup:

PG: Toliver
SG: Currie
SF: TRP
PF: EDD
C: Thomas

RAF I kinda like this lineup, though I think when Hill is really healthy she will be the starter. At which point I would start Currie at the SF (even though she's getting toward the end of her career) instead of TRP. TRP to me has always been a decent backup but not really a starter. The only reason not to do that might be that Mo is a better scorer so can come in with the 'second' squad to be a scorer...especially since Cloud is not a scorer so it could offset that issue.

Also Mo is a better 3pointshooter so that she can spread the floor around EDD. When TRP is on the floor with EDD they just help of her and she bricks all those open jumpers and people wonder why EDD has so little assists Rolling Eyes Laughing

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/20/18 5:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt TRP and Currie both start purely because they're the primary 3s. Then you just make your bench and rotations awkward by having loads of 2s on the bench that don't really play together. Also you'd like more ballhandling on the perimeter than you get from one guard plus TRP+Currie (admittedly mitigated by having EDD, assuming she's healthy that week).

Basically, I expect TRP/Currie to be far more a platoon at one spot than playing together.

PostPosted: 04/20/18 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Thibault is that high in Atkins, I wonder if she stands a chance to start at SG?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 04/20/18 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
If Thibault is that high in Atkins, I wonder if she stands a chance to start at SG?

He better be really high on her because he took this uninvited to draft rookie for biggest need for a few weeks rather than take best player available that could also fit a need. Did the Vadeeva camp discourage him, because their frontline is weak as is. Nurse would give them a little more versatility than Atkins. And how do you pass on combo guard Lexie Brown who gives you a little bit of local flavor plus she could potentially become your future starting PG? I dunno.... maybe Atkins works out for him, but I’m not seeing this genius of Thibault that everybody else seems to see. You can’t ride the Jordan and Meesseman train forever.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/20/18 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The issue with both these lineups is that there are only two shooters (EDD and Toliver) and really, only two scorers. It's not like you have to focus much attention on the other three, so there are plenty of defensive options. Here's just one:

Concentrate on containing Toliver and let EDD get 30 (or however many she can produce being guarded one-on-one). If Toliver is held to 15 or less, and the other starters are controlled with one-on-one defense that helps on Toliver, Washington will have trouble scoring enough to win.

PostPosted: 04/20/18 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The issue with both these lineups is that there are only two shooters (EDD and Toliver) and really, only two scorers. It's not like you have to focus much attention on the other three, so there are plenty of defensive options. Here's just one:

Concentrate on containing Toliver and let EDD get 30 (or however many she can produce being guarded one-on-one). If Toliver is held to 15 or less, and the other starters are controlled with one-on-one defense that helps on Toliver, Washington will have trouble scoring enough to win.

So who do you start at SG? Who can shoot better than Currie...and is ready to play game 1. I do get that TRP and Currie are the SFs, so one will get subbed out early. But I think my lineup (prior to Hill being ready to play) will start and finish games unless a shooter gets hot. Cloud can run point to move KTO to SG, but Cloud is not a shooter or scorer. Check Mo's stats - she's always been a scorer and her outside shooting is the best of her career. Granted she can no longer bully into the paint, bust a move and score

~rAf
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/21/18 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is no answer, I don't think, unless TRP or Currie develop into consistent perimeter scorers ... or Hill, for that matter.

PostPosted: 04/21/18 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Currie is 2” taller and stronger than TRP, so it makes sense that Currie would be slotted at the SF. The SF is more likely to find themselves battling in the paint for a rebound. That’s the way the official Mystics have them slotted. Currie at SF and TRP at SG.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/21/18 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Currie is 2” taller and stronger than TRP, so it makes sense that Currie would be slotted at the SF. The SF is more likely to find themselves battling in the paint for a rebound. That’s the way the official Mystics have them slotted. Currie at SF and TRP at SG.

I simply can't slot a player as "shooting guard" when they can't shoot. TRP provides significant value to the team, but outside shooting is not one of them.

~rAf
toad455

PostPosted: 04/21/18 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about starting Toliver and Cloud? This could also give AJ Alix a roster spot. Though it seems unlikely they'll go with just 4 posts

PG: Cloud/Alix?
SG: Toliver/SWK/Hill
SF: Currie/TRP/Atkins
PF: Delle Donne/Hawkins/Peters or Hines-Allen?
C Thomas/Sanders

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 04/21/18 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve decided to go with SWK as the starter until Hill is ready. She’ll be trying to keep that job. She can shoot and drive.

Toliver/Cloud
Walker-Kimbrough/Atkins/Hill(until 100%)
Currie/Ruffin-Pratt
Delle Donne/Hawkins/(Hines-Allen vs Peters vs Taylor)
KThomas/Sanders

Last edited by Shades on 04/21/18 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 04/21/18 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
What about starting Toliver and Cloud? This could also give AJ Alix a roster spot. Though it seems unlikely they'll go with just 4 posts

PG: Cloud/Alix?
SG: Toliver/SWK/Hill
SF: Currie/TRP/Atkins
PF: Delle Donne/Hawkins/Peters or Hines-Allen?
C Thomas/Sanders

I think you are on the right track. On defense Cloud and Tolliver would switch - Cloud defending the 2, Tolliver the 1.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/21/18 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really liked SWK in college. Last year she just looked pretty tentative and one of her problems even in college was always lack of confidence. If somehow Mike can make her think she 'can', then I too think she 'can'. Would love to see her have a breakout year.

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/21/18 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Shades wrote:

I simply can't slot a player as "shooting guard" when they can't shoot. TRP provides significant value to the team, but outside shooting is not one of them.

Also she isnt really a good ballhandler. So no i def wouldnt play her at the 2

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 04/22/18 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TRP and Cloud can't play in the same lineups. One of them has to start.

The issue is, Cloud and Toliver have to be staggered too because they're the only players on the team capable of being the primary ballhandler...

Shades

PostPosted: 04/22/18 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
TRP and Cloud can't play in the same lineups.

Good call!

Aladyyn wrote:
One of them has to start.

Bad call!

I don't think Thibault's sales pitch to get Currie to come back to WAS was that she could have the honor of coming off the bench for the likes of TRP. Currie would have been a good get for NYL, SEA, or ATL.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 04/22/18 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
TRP and Cloud can't play in the same lineups.

Good call!

Aladyyn wrote:
One of them has to start.

Bad call!

I don't think Thibault's sales pitch to get Currie to come back to WAS was that she could have the honor of coming off the bench for the likes of TRP. Currie would have been a good get for NYL, SEA, or ATL.

What kind of trade value do you think TRP has around the league then?

Shades

PostPosted: 04/22/18 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

Not enough to make a trade worthwhile. Why is it so unthinkable that TRP would come off the bench?

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 04/22/18 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Not enough to make a trade worthwhile. Why is it so unthinkable that TRP would come off the bench?

Sure, she can come off the bench. But then how do you handle the PG spot? You can't have a bench unit with 2 guards that can't shoot so then Cloud starts anyways.

Would Currie care about getting starter amount of minutes even though she's technically not a starter? Sounds like a non-issue to me...

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/22/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not all that difficult to keep TRP and CLoud from playing at the same time even if you don't start either one. But it would be easy to start:

Cloud, Toliver, Mo, posts
then 4 minutes in
Toliver, SWK, TRP, posts
then in Q2
Cloud, Atkins, Mo,posts
and
Toliver, SWK, TRP, posts

or some such thing...

- Amanda Gorman
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/30/18 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebecca Greenwell underwent knee surgery. She will miss the entire 2018 WNBA season.

The Mystics have suspended her:
http://www.wnba.com/transactions/

Greenwell was seen on social media in her leg cast:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiDf_zCh4C0/?taken-by=bgreenwell23

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/30/18 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barring Injuries, I believe the Mystics Roster after breaking training camp will look like this:

Toliver, Cloud, Alix
Walker-Kimbrough, Atkins, (Hill rehabbing from injury)
Currie, Ruffin-Pratt
Delle Donne, Hawkins
Thomas, Sanders

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/01/18 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know Hill's timetable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: