RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Draft lottery postponed from tomorrow to ''a later date''
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/01/17 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"The results of the lottery will be announced on ESPN2 during the 6 p.m. ET edition of SportsCenter prior to the network’s telecast of the NCAA women’s basketball game between South Carolina and Maryland at 7 p.m. ET. "

So I guess there's not going to be a big extravaganza with Laimbeer and the Chairman of MGM and the Governor of Nevada all hyping the Las Vegas franchise.

Oh yeah, it's perfectly obvious the drawing needed to be postponed two months so that they can announce the results during Sportscenter. I'm sure that will generate two or three thousand season ticket sales overnight. After all, I'm confident most of Nevada will be tuned in at 3 in the afternoon local time on a Monday.

Now I understand why they couldn't have done this live during halftime of a finals game. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

But then Borders wouldn't have gotten her two minutes of face time with Jemelle Hill.

herna220

PostPosted: 11/01/17 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
"The results of the lottery will be announced on ESPN2 during the 6 p.m. ET edition of SportsCenter prior to the network’s telecast of the NCAA women’s basketball game between South Carolina and Maryland at 7 p.m. ET. "

So I guess there's not going to be a big extravaganza with Laimbeer and the Chairman of MGM and the Governor of Nevada all hyping the Las Vegas franchise.

Oh yeah, it's perfectly obvious the drawing needed to be postponed two months so that they can announce the results during Sportscenter. I'm sure that will generate two or three thousand season ticket sales overnight. After all, I'm confident most of Nevada will be tuned in at 3 in the afternoon local time on a Monday.

Now I understand why they couldn't have done this live during halftime of a finals game. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

But then Borders wouldn't have gotten her two minutes of face time with Jemelle Hill.

Not even half time of a college game, yeesh

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/01/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did think it would be at halftime of the game when I heard it was the 13th.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/01/17 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Maybe it's just poorly written, but it doesn't even say the lottery will be televised at all, only that the results will be announced on Sportscenter.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/01/17 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Maybe it's just poorly written, but it doesn't even say the lottery will be televised at all, only that the results will be announced on Sportscenter.

I would say that is probably correct

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/01/17 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I think so too.

For all we know, they've already held it in the accountant's office and have just embargoed the results until the 13th.

And folks thought I was being too harsh in my criticism?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/01/17 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I think so too.

For all we know, they've already held it in the accountant's office and have just embargoed the results until the 13th.

And we still do.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/01/17 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I think so too.

And we still do.

Yeah, because this is such a master stroke of marketing and public relations. I'm sorry Ms. Borders. You're a genius.

There. That better? Laughing Laughing Laughing

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/01/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I think so too.

And we still do.

Yeah, because this is such a master stroke of marketing and public relations. I'm sorry Ms. Borders. You're a genius.

There. That better? Laughing Laughing Laughing

You realize that it can be neither a genius master stroke nor a disaster, right? There is some middle ground?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/01/17 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IF my Wings were involved with this lottery id be screaming #Nuts&Bolts #WeGotScrewed Right about now...

PostPosted: 11/01/17 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

You realize that it can be neither a genius master stroke nor a disaster, right? There is some middle ground?

Don't think I ever termed it a "disaster". Just that it was another manifestation of ineptitude.

It certainly isn't going to be the Las Vegas marketing bonanza some folks were projecting it to be.

It's not a "disaster" because as Clay correctly pointed out, hardly anyone is paying attention anyhow.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 11/01/17 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Taped in front of a live audience"
plus a smidge of cutting room magic
= smoother product.

scene
MC: "In 4th place we have Chicago" , "and in 3rd place we have ~Chicago hmm"
Chi coach: "I'm melting ..."
MC: "In 2nd place <pregnant pause> we have <nother pregnant pause> Las Vegas!"
Bill : "!@#$" <jumps up and lands a right hook on a (conveniently placed) Larry Bird blow up doll>
Pokey: <starts doing martial arts special effects, flips and kicks of joy> "Woooo !!!"
end scene

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/01/17 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
= smoother product.

scene
Bill : "!@#$" <jumps up and lands a right hook on a (conveniently placed) Larry Bird blow up doll>
Pokey: <starts doing martial arts special effects, flips and kicks of joy> "Woooo !!!"
end scene

Pregnant Pauses Laughing

PostPosted: 11/01/17 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
= smoother product.

scene
end scene

Live look at Amber if that happens:

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/01/17 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
5thmantheme wrote:
= smoother product.

scene
end scene

Live look at Amber if that happens:

I cannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnot !!! Laughing Embarassed Arrow Arrow Laughing

PostPosted: 11/01/17 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure why Stocks would faint if that happened. I'm sure she's been informed that #3 & #4 are the highest probability for them.

That gif is more appropriate for Johnson during the 2013 draft lottery.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 11/01/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah it is a little underwhelming and disappointing.

Hopefully at half time they at least discuss the new team in Vegas who I still think lands the #1 pick in relationship to possible #1 pick Aja Wilson who is playing in the game.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/02/17 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is it ineptitude on Borders' part? ESPN made the decision.

I'm sure Borders would have wanted a 30-minute show with a live lottery, but ESPN rationally would have said "Are you kidding? Do we want a rating of 0?"

PostPosted: 11/02/17 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I'm sure Borders would have wanted a 30-minute show with a live lottery, but ESPN rationally would have said "Are you kidding? Do we want a rating of 0?"

Two part answer.

First, the unexplained two month postponement was completely pointless and unnecessary if the ultimate outcome was going to be a 5 second announcement on Sportscenter. Why couldn't they have gone ahead as originally scheduled? I'm sure Borders could have done it live, probably a live drawing, or at least a live announcement by her of the results, if they'd done it at halftime of a finals game. That was the thrust of my ineptitude comment. It was typical WNBA "we're not going to tell you what we're doing, but I guarantee that when we figure it out it will be underwhelming and have you scratching your head." It's a small thing in the scheme of things, but do you think the handling of this paints a great picture of planning and management?

Two, I didn't expect a 30 minute ESPN special, but maybe the NBA shares some blame for not telling the NBA Network to provide a block of time. Alternatively I think several other people in this discussion were expecting a live drawing during halftime of a Big Monday college game. There had to be something better than what is actually planned. The League at least should pretend it matters even if to most people it doesn't.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/02/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Two part answer.

First, the unexplained two month postponement was completely pointless and unnecessary if the ultimate outcome was going to be a 5 second announcement on Sportscenter. Why couldn't they have gone ahead as originally scheduled? I'm sure Borders could have done it live, probably a live drawing, or at least a live announcement by her of the results, if they'd done it at halftime of a finals game. That was the thrust of my ineptitude comment. It was typical WNBA "we're not going to tell you what we're doing, but I guarantee that when we figure it out it will be underwhelming and have you scratching your head." It's a small thing in the scheme of things, but do you think the handling of this paints a great picture of planning and management?

Two, I didn't expect a 30 minute ESPN special, but maybe the NBA shares some blame for not telling the NBA Network to provide a block of time. Alternatively I think several other people in this discussion were expecting a live drawing during halftime of a Big Monday college game. There had to be something better than what is actually planned. The League at least should pretend it matters even if to most people it doesn't.

Again, I don't think the league has a choice. It would have been nice to have set a date and stuck to it, but the Las Vegas issue obviously complicated things from someone's point of view -- and if that someone was the new ownership group, then I think they have the right to make that call.

NBA-TV and ESPN are driven by ratings, and the ratings for a WNBA draft lottery would not have moved the dial by much at all. It's not as if the WNBA has any leverage ...

PostPosted: 11/02/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe, but the NBA network has plenty of open programming time with nothing of substance being aired.

BTW, David indicated this might have had nothing to do with Las Vegas and everything to do with Border's personal scheduling.

I have yet to read one single plausible Las Vegas related reason for postponing the lottery.

Most of the proffered reasons revolved around a supposed opportunity to hype the new franchise at a big lottery extravaganza attended by Las Vegas team bigwigs. Obviously that wasn't the reason for the delay.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/02/17 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wahoo. Can hardly wait for the 'exciting' announcement. Rolling Eyes Wonder if they'll even talk to the winner. Maybe have a long distance, bad connection, 30 seconds phone call of "We're so happy to get the first pick. No we don't know who it will be yet, but she will be a great addition to our club" while they show a grainy old b/w photo of the person they are talking to... And yeah, maybe they already have the sound bite in hand.

- Amanda Gorman
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/02/17 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Maybe, but the NBA network has plenty of open programming time with nothing of substance being aired...

True, but NBA TV hasn't actually been owned by the NBA in years. They sold it to Turner, which doesn't give a fuck about women's basketball, and wouldn't cover the league at all, if their deal with the NBA didn't require them to.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
bullsky

PostPosted: 11/03/17 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Maybe they should've done something on twitter? It's def not worth a primetime ESPN slot. Just being honest.

PostPosted: 11/03/17 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Maybe they should've done something on twitter? It's def not worth a primetime ESPN slot. Just being honest.

Not worth 5 minutes? I've always found the show highly entertaining for how short it is. Agler looking like he lost his puppy is forever etched on my mind. President Richie giggling as Gaines accepts the #1 pick in 2013... forever etched in my mind. Dan Hughes ties... forever etched. I'm sure most of you grumps will be tuning in to see if Laimbeer pulls an ace out of his sleeve.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 11/03/17 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: