RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

All Defense Teams

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/12/17 2:12 pm    ::: All Defense Teams Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wnba.com/news/defensive-player-year-alana-beard-headlines-2017-wnba-defensive-team/

Quote:
2017 WNBA All-Defensive First Team

Player Team Position Points
Alana Beard Los Angeles Sparks Guard 55
Sylvia Fowles Minnesota Lynx Center 49
Nneka Ogwumike Los Angeles Sparks Forward 49
Jasmine Thomas Connecticut Sun Guard 49
Tina Charles New York Liberty Forward 22

2017 WNBA All-Defensive Second Team

Player Team Position Points
Brittney Griner Phoenix Mercury Center 41
Alyssa Thomas Connecticut Sun Forward 21
Rebekkah Brunson Minnesota Lynx Forward 20
Maya Moore Minnesota Lynx Guard 16
Briann January Indiana Fever Guard 13

NOTE: This is the first All Defense team without Tamika Catchings

PostPosted: 09/12/17 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina Charles received 22 votes and made the first team.
Brittney Griner received 41 votes and made the second team.

Good sign the positions for this honor need to be made less specific, or eliminated entirely.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/12/17 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Tina Charles received 22 votes and made the first team.
Brittney Griner received 41 votes and made the second team.

Good sign the positions for this honor need to be made less specific, or eliminated entirely.

I'd object far more to Maya Moore being listed as a guard than that voting quirk. She's just not. She spent the entire season playing the 3, with very occasional minutes at the 4. If you're going to make the teams thmselves specifically GGFFC, you can't have someone who played F1 or F2 all season as a G.

Which doesn't even tackle whether she should be on the damn team at all.

PostPosted: 09/12/17 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have always been in favor of these teams being positionless. Voters should have the freedom to vote for the 5/10 best players, period. For instance, Jewell Loyd making All-WNBA last season over Candace Parker was a travesty, and I say that as a Storm fan.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/12/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On a separate note, I really didn't think January deserved it this year. She missed a load of games, didn't play to her regular standards when she was available, and was playing on a disastrously bad defensive team. Very much a reputation and a can't-think-of-any-guards-to-vote-for spot.

PostPosted: 09/12/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
On a separate note, I really didn't think January deserved it this year. She missed a load of games, didn't play to her regular standards when she was available, and was playing on a disastrously bad defensive team. Very much a reputation and a can't-think-of-any-guards-to-vote-for spot.

I would tend to agree re: January getting in on prior reputation. Moore making the team is a stretch. I think she is an average defender at best. To replace these two, I would add Sims (although not sure she had enough consistency through the year), but a true guard at least. Second spot can go to Christmas-Kelly.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/12/17 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't think Christmas-Kelly had a particularly great year (and like January, on a terrible defensive team). She's also about as much of a guard as Maya.

Sims did make great strides this year defensively, finally approaching the levels that all those commentators kept saying she had in Tulsa/Dallas (when it was all based on her college days). Her ability to do the job on the point guard that Beard was typically tasked with last year allowed LA to put Beard on the best wing instead. But I kinda like tht she didn't make it this year. Let her really earn her way on with a full season next year, after all those seasons of awful D for the Shock/Wings.

Finding players who are actually guards to put on these teams never seems to be easy, though. You could even argue that technicallly Beard was starting at the 3 most of the year (although she at least did play a fair bit of actual guard).

PostPosted: 09/12/17 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I didn't think Christmas-Kelly had a particularly great year (and like January, on a terrible defensive team). She's also about as much of a guard as Maya.

Sims did make great strides this year defensively, finally approaching the levels that all those commentators kept saying she had in Tulsa/Dallas (when it was all based on her college days). Her ability to do the job on the point guard that Beard was typically tasked with last year allowed LA to put Beard on the best wing instead. But I kinda like tht she didn't make it this year. Let her really earn her way on with a full season next year, after all those seasons of awful D for the Shock/Wings.

Finding players who are actually guards to put on these teams never seems to be easy, though. You could even argue that technicallly Beard was starting at the 3 most of the year (although she at least did play a fair bit of actual guard).

Yeah, good points about Christmas-Kelly, but I do feel like she has pretty good versatility, can guard multiple positions, etc. Yeah, I think Sims, with continued commitment, can be a regular all defensive team member in the future.
Queenie

PostPosted: 09/12/17 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ruffin-Pratt or GTFO.

(now with spelling variations)
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/16/17 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TRP should be on the list. Other than that and the inclusion of January, I thought it was a good list. By the metrics, Minnesota's defense is the best in the WNBA measurably. So to have three people on there doesn't bother me, though I guess you could make a case for Augustus instead of Moore. But I like Moore's addition just from the standpoint that she's a physical defender, which can wear an opponent down.

I'm glad that Charles and the Thomases got the recognition they deserved. Tina's defense was excellent this year and both CT players were really good as well. With Alyssa's defense being dramatically improved from prior years. In part because she could use her physical strength inside. But still, being a little undersized, you had to love her effort and toughness in guarding other 4 spot players.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: