RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t know if “hiding” is the best word. She pretty much dominated last year. Smile

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/17/18 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I don’t know if “hiding” is the best word. She pretty much dominated last year. Smile

The A-Train did chug along and blow her whistle a great deal last year...

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/17/18 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
JJ missing most of training camp while Chiney is there. So i dont know if its a good idea to not start Chiney for the first couple of games.

Tbh the best chance of Sun ever winning a championship is that A Thomas works on her midrange and 3pointshot instead of 'hiding' her at the PF spot
and then have her start with Chiney and JJ.

Or they could play Thomas where she has demonstrated herself to be an all-star instead of trying to turn her into a different player.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/17/18 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
JJ missing most of training camp while Chiney is there. So i dont know if its a good idea to not start Chiney for the first couple of games.

Tbh the best chance of Sun ever winning a championship is that A Thomas works on her midrange and 3pointshot instead of 'hiding' her at the PF spot

Or they could play Thomas where she has demonstrated herself to be an all-star instead of trying to turn her into a different player.

Then IMO they never win a championship IMO. Yes she was an allstar but there are lot of players at that position that are better then her and always will be and i dont think that Stricklen (and Jasmine Thomas for that matter) will shoot like they did last season so when Stricklen is throwing up bricks are you still going to keep starting her at that SF spot or are you going to actually play your best players and have Chiney and JJ start together..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/18 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JJones has arrived in Connecticut

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/17/18 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Then IMO they never win a championship IMO. Yes she was an allstar but there are lot of players at that position that are better then her and always will be and i dont think that Stricklen (and Jasmine Thomas for that matter) will shoot like they did last season so when Stricklen is throwing up bricks are you still going to keep starting her at that SF spot or are you going to actually play your best players and have Chiney and JJ start together..

I agree. And if you're worried about shooting, JJ can shoot from outside while AT bulldozes her way to the rim. I also think teams will get better at defending the bulldozing and so long as she continues to make less than 50% of her FTs, other teams can just throw a few players in there to foul her before she gets to the basket. JMO. [ Can you tell that bulldozers are not my favorite, regardless of who they are?]

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/18/18 6:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I agree. And if you're worried about shooting, JJ can shoot from outside while AT bulldozes her way to the rim. I also think teams will get better at defending the bulldozing and so long as she continues to make less than 50% of her FTs, other teams can just throw a few players in there to foul her before she gets to the basket. JMO. [ Can you tell that bulldozers are not my favorite, regardless of who they are?]

Also i wouldnt want to put my best player on the 3pointline all the time. Same problem that i have with Stewart floating on the perimeter too much. They can be so effective in the post and i think Chiney and JJ can be a pretty powerfull combination

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
tfan

PostPosted: 06/19/18 5:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5kpWJLzl0RA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Randy

PostPosted: 06/19/18 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Favorite team to play against: Atlanta. Favorite City: Atlanta. Perhaps there is a message here.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/19/18 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Favorite team to play against: Atlanta. Favorite City: Atlanta. Perhaps there is a message here.

You must have missed “best friend in the league”.

Randy

PostPosted: 06/19/18 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah I did. Unfortunately, I don't think it would work out to have both players on the same team since they play the same position. Both super athletes who rebound a lot despite playing the 2.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/27/18 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zxUtnvvgNUQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pilight

PostPosted: 08/03/18 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/ConnecticutSun/status/1025375857580433409

Quote:
On Sunday, @ConnecticutSun guard Bria Holmes welcomed the newest member of our squad, Diona D’ior Lawhorn. Both mom and baby are doing great!

PostPosted: 08/10/18 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sun guard Courtney Williams talks about hoops, life, and being herself
http://womenshoopsworld.com/2018/08/10/sun-guard-courtney-williams-talks-about-hoops-life-and-being-herself/

Quote:
I think you’ve taken like only low-20’s free throws on the year. Do you have any thought of “I need to get to the line more often?”

Oh, no. Of course not. I’m a jump-shooter. If you’re going to keep giving me my pull-up, I’m going to keep taking it. I don’t like to get hit, so if I can keep from getting hit, I’m going to keep from getting hit, you know?

PostPosted: 08/10/18 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
http://womenshoopsworld.com/2018/08/10/sun-guard-courtney-williams-talks-about-hoops-life-and-being-herself/

Quote:
I think you’ve taken like only low-20’s free throws on the year. Do you have any thought of “I need to get to the line more often?”

Oh, no. Of course not. I’m a jump-shooter. If you’re going to keep giving me my pull-up, I’m going to keep taking it. I don’t like to get hit, so if I can keep from getting hit, I’m going to keep from getting hit, you know?

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

Best rebounding guard in the league by a mile; shooting 41% from three, 46% from the field, and a career-high 3+ assists per game; and can leap out of the damn gym. And yet, her PER is 16, just above average level, and basically exactly the same as last year. Her Win Shares are 6th on the Sun, barely above Banham, and Win Shares per 48mins are way below both Banham and Tuck. That's all because she never gets to the line. Contact can be a good thing!

PostPosted: 08/10/18 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I don’t like to get hit, so if I can keep from getting hit, I’m going to keep from getting hit, you know?

That’s why she refused to report to the team while Bentley was still there. Razz

Randy

PostPosted: 08/10/18 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
I don’t like to get hit, so if I can keep from getting hit, I’m going to keep from getting hit, you know?

That’s why she refused to report to the team while Bentley was still there. Razz

You beat me to it. Laughing

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/10/18 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My invariable line to middle schoolers: Football is not a contact sport, it's a collision sport. Basketball is a contact sport.

Subtext: If you don't like contact, play volleyball.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
My invariable line to middle schoolers: Football is not a contact sport, it's a collision sport. Basketball is a contact sport.

Per the rule book, as opposed to how they the game is called, what contact in basketball is legal?

I played basketball in the 1970’s in high school and I was always perplexed when I heard Bill Russell doing NBA broadcasts repeatedly making the statement that you do. The game I was playing in high school had some contact - fouls and some on positioning for rebounds or a rare dirty elbow , but it wasn’t anything like Russell would make it out to be - like it was a real manly activity up there with football and wrestling.

I remember that they told us we could/should put our hand (lightly) on the back of a defender when inside 15 feet or so in order to feel which way the player was moving. But once you make that legal then pushing can start (which we didn’t do). We also didn’t have the pushing in the post that is allowed today. Nor did we have the deal where you put your inside arm against the driving players midsection, with the purpose of impeding their forward progress (something I only notice in pictures). But I still don’t know what a rookie guard is talking about when they say how the WNBA is so much more physical than college.

Last edited by tfan on 08/10/18 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/10/18 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Per the rule book, as opposed to how they the game is called, what contact in basketball is legal?

I played basketball in the 1970’s in high school and I was always perplexed when I heard Bill Russell doing NBA broadcasts repeatedly making the statement that you do. The game I was playing in high school had some contact - fouls and some on positioning for rebounds or a rare dirty elbow , but it wasn’t anything like Russell would make it out to be - like it was a real manly activity up there with football and wrestling.

I remember that they told us we could/should put our hand (lightly) on the back of a defender when inside 15 feet or so in order to feel which way the player was moving. But once you make that legal then pushing can start (which we didn’t do). We also didn’t have the pushing in the post that is allowed today. Nor did we have the deal where you put your inside arm against the driving players midsection, with the purpose of impeding their forward progress (something I only notice in pictures). But I still don’t know what a rookie guard is talking about when they say how the WNBA is so much more physical than college.

Part of it is simple strength. An arm bar from a 28-year-old professional athlete is going to impede progress a lot more than an arm bar from a 20-year-old college player -- even without any extension of the arm.

And if I'm quick enough to get my foot outside the defender's foot, then I can turn my shoulders and use my strength to keep the defender from making up any ground -- and the 28-year-old professional athlete is quicker too.

And the footwork is better. And so on ...

"Incidental contact" is allowed by the rules. If two players are going for the ball and both have established their paths and there's a big collision, that's incidental contact. If I'm driving to the hoop and my unextended left arm manages to keep your body far enough away that I can finish with my right hand, that's incidental contact.

Two rebounders going for the same spot each have a right to it -- the stronger will control it.

And so on ...

It's a physical game, and physical teams have advantages. (My high school team lost in the final four last year in our California division because we were simply outphysicalled.)

As above, if you don't like contact, volleyball is the sport for you.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Quote:

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

Best rebounding guard in the league by a mile; shooting 41% from three, 46% from the field, and a career-high 3+ assists per game; and can leap out of the damn gym. And yet, her PER is 16, just above average level, and basically exactly the same as last year. Her Win Shares are 6th on the Sun, barely above Banham, and Win Shares per 48mins are way below both Banham and Tuck. That's all because she never gets to the line. Contact can be a good thing!

Williams says, Can't touch this!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: