RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15241
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/14/17 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bill has a tendency to say a lot of things.

(Hey, Coach, if you're out there- does this make you VFO or LVFO now?)



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 13945
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/14/17 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
ClayK wrote:
UK1996 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Also our injured PG for theirs

Boyd and L. Allen for Jefferson (makes sense if he like Boyd and Allen as much as he seemed to, and they already know the offense he like to run.) Jefferson solves NY's PG problem and bring the shooting and 3rd offensive option to add to our two headed SG.

draft Nared at #10 and Mavunga at #22

Jefferson/Hartley
Rodgers/Prince
Zealous/Nared/R. Allen
Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe/Mavunga
Stokes/Vaugh or Zahui B or Swords or Free agent

I kind of like it. I start Rodgers with Jefferson for stronger defense, let Prince and Hartley anchor the 2nd unit offense.


Not sure why he’d do that when MoJeff is better than both imo. He can also trade up for a big guard like Nurse.


Most likely deshields...


Yeah in a different thread I also have Laimbeer trading Plum and #13 to Seattle for #5 in an attempt to get Deshields.

I'm not sure he would trade Jefferson to NY but she is small and coming off an injury and he supposedly liked Boyd and L. Allen who already know his system. But yeah probably a little wishful thinking on my part. I never considered Jefferson in NY because laimbeer didn't like small guards but now I see her as a good solution for us. We could also maybe add the #10 pick as an option, maybe #10 and L. Allen or Boyd.

On a different note happy for Katie Smith.

Can you imagine how good Jefferson could become if Spoon got to work with her. If she heels properly, I still believe Jefferson could become a really good player.


Why do people believe Teresa Weatherspoon is a brilliant coach? I'm sure she's good, but though there have been some players who have improved in New York, others have stayed the same or regressed.

Sure, she was a popular player, and she's in great physical condition, but those attributes do not necessarily translate to being a good one-on-one coach.


Because Bill Laimbeer said on this board that she was the best individual skills coach he had ever seen.


He also said he would draft Chandi Jones over Diana Taurasi. Bill says a lot of things.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19625
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/14/17 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Bill has a tendency to say a lot of things.

(Hey, Coach, if you're out there- does this make you VFO or LVFO now?)

Unless they're changing the name, we're surely just back to the old days: he's SFO all over again.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
dtsnms



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 18621



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/14/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
ClayK wrote:
UK1996 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Also our injured PG for theirs

Boyd and L. Allen for Jefferson (makes sense if he like Boyd and Allen as much as he seemed to, and they already know the offense he like to run.) Jefferson solves NY's PG problem and bring the shooting and 3rd offensive option to add to our two headed SG.

draft Nared at #10 and Mavunga at #22

Jefferson/Hartley
Rodgers/Prince
Zealous/Nared/R. Allen
Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe/Mavunga
Stokes/Vaugh or Zahui B or Swords or Free agent

I kind of like it. I start Rodgers with Jefferson for stronger defense, let Prince and Hartley anchor the 2nd unit offense.


Not sure why he’d do that when MoJeff is better than both imo. He can also trade up for a big guard like Nurse.


Most likely deshields...


Yeah in a different thread I also have Laimbeer trading Plum and #13 to Seattle for #5 in an attempt to get Deshields.

I'm not sure he would trade Jefferson to NY but she is small and coming off an injury and he supposedly liked Boyd and L. Allen who already know his system. But yeah probably a little wishful thinking on my part. I never considered Jefferson in NY because laimbeer didn't like small guards but now I see her as a good solution for us. We could also maybe add the #10 pick as an option, maybe #10 and L. Allen or Boyd.

On a different note happy for Katie Smith.

Can you imagine how good Jefferson could become if Spoon got to work with her. If she heels properly, I still believe Jefferson could become a really good player.


Why do people believe Teresa Weatherspoon is a brilliant coach? I'm sure she's good, but though there have been some players who have improved in New York, others have stayed the same or regressed.

Sure, she was a popular player, and she's in great physical condition, but those attributes do not necessarily translate to being a good one-on-one coach.


Because Bill Laimbeer said on this board that she was the best individual skills coach he had ever seen.


He also said he would draft Chandi Jones over Diana Taurasi. Bill says a lot of things.


My favorite is still when he traded for and declared Angelina Williams next PG of Detroit Shock.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20884



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/14/17 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe VJ comes back to NY as an assistant.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14676



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/14/17 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Maybe VJ comes back to NY as an assistant.


Possibly, but I see Tanisha Wright coming on board as an assistant.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2016
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/14/17 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Maybe VJ comes back to NY as an assistant.


Possibly, but I see Tanisha Wright coming on board as an assistant.


Three crucial things we don't know:

1. How does Katie Smith feel about Herb Williams, Teresa Weatherspoon, Vickie Johnson, Tanisha Wright, etc.?

2. How much say will Katie Smith have in choosing her assistant coaches?

3. If it's not totally up to Katie Smith--and it may not be--whose voices will count? Sexual harasser Isiah Thomas? Swin Cash? Teresa Weatherspoon?



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she has served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships.
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 11458



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/15/17 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And we have the right to know who is making those decisions. Every other team’s fans know who its GM is. I have to be honest. Moving forward I’m a little uptight. With Bill here, regardless of his job title, we weren’t going to see impulsive personnel decisions that would seriously hurt the long-term picture. We tied for the second-best league record over a 3 year period without having the second or third-best talent for most of that time period.

With SA/LV Bill is inheriting a team with three top-3 picks and an upcoming lottery pick. He took over the Shock in a similar situation. This is where he’s likely to excel. He has full control and lots of assets to work with.

Anyway, the Libs have a few assets of their own. I’d feel more comfortable about how those assets were being managed if we had an inkling what the power structure was. If it’s Katie, I feel comfortable with that. She’s got the acumen. But we will see.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2016
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/15/17 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
And we have the right to know who is making those decisions. Every other team’s fans know who its GM is.


I fully agree with this.

Even when there is a GM, fans never know for sure what's going on behind closed doors. For example, when Kristen Bernert was our GM, how much say did she have in decisions about free agents, trades, and the draft? How much say did Bill Laimbeer have? How much say did their boss, sexual harasser Isiah Tnomas, have? Unclear. But it's even murkier when there is no GM.

Last season I assumed that Laimbeer was the key voice; that Swin Cash, Teresa Weatherspoon, and Katie Smith (as associate head coach) might have a say; and that Thomas as team president certainly had to approve. But if we have the same murky situation this year, it's hard for me to imagine that Smith--just beginning as head coach, never having been a GM--will have the influence that Laimbeer did.

This would be a lovely time for LFO to comment and explain exactly how it all worked behind the scenes. Could change his name to The Former LFO. Smile



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she has served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships.
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 11458



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/15/17 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He probably can’t until this is official.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2016
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/15/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
He probably can’t until this is official.


Good point. So I will hope for some intriguing comments from The Former LFO after his Vegas job is official. Smile



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she has served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships.
LibFan25



Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 378
Location: Yonkers, NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/15/17 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think Bill Laimbeer knew his time was up, this guy frustrated me all year with his lineup changes and usage of Charles so much that the woman started getting back spasms got worn out and tired in the end. he had a good run but never got us over the hump, im happy he is gone.

we should clean house, get a fresh new coaching staff, a new voice in here to get us motivated and energize to win a championship.


Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2016
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just saw on the Liberty's Facebook page that Katie Smith has been officially named as the team's new head coach. She is rightly called "a WNBA legend" on the Facebook page. Congratulations!!!



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she has served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships.
hyperetic



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 5049
Location: Fayetteville


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for Katie. I think its a good decision for the Lib coaching wise. Don't know how she will do GM wise.
jmvcity



Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 84
Location: Big Apple


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll give wnba.com at least a week to post the news of Katie's promotion to head coach.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55115
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wnba.com/news/katie-smith-named-new-york-liberty-head-coach/

Quote:
WNBA legend Katie Smith has been named head coach of the New York Liberty, Team President Isiah Thomas announced today.



_________________
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
jmvcity



Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 84
Location: Big Apple


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.wnba.com/news/katie-smith-named-new-york-liberty-head-coach/

Quote:
WNBA legend Katie Smith has been named head coach of the New York Liberty, Team President Isiah Thomas announced today.


OH WOW! Impressive, wnba.com!


jmvcity



Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 84
Location: Big Apple


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Stars stayed put in San Antonio, would Bill have been fired?


Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2016
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
If the Stars stayed put in San Antonio, would Bill have been fired?


Is there actual evidence that Bill Laimbeer was fired? As opposed to leaving voluntarily?



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she has served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships.
hangtyme24



Joined: 21 May 2006
Posts: 2168



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
If the Stars stayed put in San Antonio, would Bill have been fired?


I don't think Bill was fired. I'm pretty sure it was his decision to go.



_________________
HERE 2 STAY!
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2016
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
If the Stars stayed put in San Antonio, would Bill have been fired?


I don't think Bill was fired. I'm pretty sure it was his decision to go.


I am assuming the same. Unless someone has evidence, it is irresponsible to post that Laimbeer was fired. I consider that fake news until I see evidence.



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she has served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships.
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14676



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The press release didn't mention Laimbeer's release, so I'm assuming his contract was simply up.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15241
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Confused

I feel like going to Katie will be too similar to sticking with Bill, and I wasn't enamored with Bill by the end. But maybe Katie will have her own style. I don't have much of a choice but to give her a chance.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2016
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Confused

I feel like going to Katie will be too similar to sticking with Bill, and I wasn't enamored with Bill by the end. But maybe Katie will have her own style. I don't have much of a choice but to give her a chance.


Given that Bill Laimbeer decided (or was certainly an important part of the decisions) to bring Katie Smith in as an assistant coach and then to promote her to associate head coach, I'd have to assume that they agree on many aspects of basketball and coaching basketball. But I believe you can never be sure how someone will be when they move from being an assistant coach, or even an associate head coach, to head coach.

It's now Katie Smith's team. She won't be a clone of Bill Laimbeer; who could? Smile We'll see how she approaches the current roster, player personnel decisions, in-game coaching, and all the rest.



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she has served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships.
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 13945
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Confused

I feel like going to Katie will be too similar to sticking with Bill, and I wasn't enamored with Bill by the end. But maybe Katie will have her own style. I don't have much of a choice but to give her a chance.


Given that Bill Laimbeer decided (or was certainly an important part of the decisions) to bring Katie Smith in as an assistant coach and then to promote her to associate head coach, I'd have to assume that they agree on many aspects of basketball and coaching basketball. But I believe you can never be sure how someone will be when they move from being an assistant coach, or even an associate head coach, to head coach.

It's now Katie Smith's team. She won't be a clone of Bill Laimbeer; who could? Smile We'll see how she approaches the current roster, player personnel decisions, in-game coaching, and all the rest.


I do wonder if, given her own playing career, she will be more guard-oriented?


root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3919
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Confused

I feel like going to Katie will be too similar to sticking with Bill, and I wasn't enamored with Bill by the end. But maybe Katie will have her own style. I don't have much of a choice but to give her a chance.


That's sort of my gut feeling, but I guess we'll have to take comfort from this:

Quote:
Smith said at the time that she has drawn on experiences with former coaches Nancy Darsch and Brian Agler as well as Laimbeer while growing as a coach. She said she also has taken notes from Geno Auriemma at the University of Connecticut and spent time at Ohio State learning from current coach Kevin McGuff.


http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20171016/wnba--katie-smith-to-be-named-next-coach-of-new-york-liberty-reports-say



_________________
We live in a political world
Love don't have any place
We're living in times
Where men commit crimes
And crime don't have any face
LibFan25



Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 378
Location: Yonkers, NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Confused

I feel like going to Katie will be too similar to sticking with Bill, and I wasn't enamored with Bill by the end. But maybe Katie will have her own style. I don't have much of a choice but to give her a chance.


That's sort of my gut feeling, but I guess we'll have to take comfort from this:

Quote:
Smith said at the time that she has drawn on experiences with former coaches Nancy Darsch and Brian Agler as well as Laimbeer while growing as a coach. She said she also has taken notes from Geno Auriemma at the University of Connecticut and spent time at Ohio State learning from current coach Kevin McGuff.


http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20171016/wnba--katie-smith-to-be-named-next-coach-of-new-york-liberty-reports-say



i have that feeling also, im happy for her but i hope she brings a whole new energy and different feel to the game with new ideas in her own legendary mind


Youth Coach



Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 4279



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm so stoked about this.
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5625



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
If the Stars stayed put in San Antonio, would Bill have been fired?


I don't think Bill was fired. I'm pretty sure it was his decision to go.


I am assuming the same. Unless someone has evidence, it is irresponsible to post that Laimbeer was fired. I consider that fake news until I see evidence.


They didn't post that Bill was fired. They asked "would Bill have been fired" and you and hangtyme24 translated it to "Bill was fired".


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20884



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
I'm so stoked about this.


even your avatar is beaming.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15241
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
That's sort of my gut feeling, but I guess we'll have to take comfort from this:

Quote:
Smith said at the time that she has drawn on experiences with former coaches Nancy Darsch and Brian Agler as well as Laimbeer while growing as a coach. She said she also has taken notes from Geno Auriemma at the University of Connecticut and spent time at Ohio State learning from current coach Kevin McGuff.


http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20171016/wnba--katie-smith-to-be-named-next-coach-of-new-york-liberty-reports-say


Ugh, I am even less comforted by most of that quote. But let's see what happens.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Richard 77



Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 3737
Location: Lake Mills, Wisconsin


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
I'm so stoked about this.


Congrats to Katie on her new gig. I'm sure she'll do great things in New York. YC, you were the first person I thought of when I saw this news. I can just imagine you doing Carl Edwards win celebrations or a few Gabby Douglas balance beam dismounts. (backflips)

Now you have a new challenge. You have a Katie Smith Player autograph. Time to get a Katie Smith Head Coach autograph.



_________________
If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 11458



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
root_thing wrote:
That's sort of my gut feeling, but I guess we'll have to take comfort from this:

Quote:
Smith said at the time that she has drawn on experiences with former coaches Nancy Darsch and Brian Agler as well as Laimbeer while growing as a coach. She said she also has taken notes from Geno Auriemma at the University of Connecticut and spent time at Ohio State learning from current coach Kevin McGuff.


http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20171016/wnba--katie-smith-to-be-named-next-coach-of-new-york-liberty-reports-say


Ugh, I am even less comforted by most of that quote. But let's see what happens.


I thought Darsch was terrible myself. But consider the whole of the equation. Katie brings a scoring guard’s perspective of the game along with playing in a variety of offensive systems. Some oriented mainly toward her. Some geared toward team ball-sharing. It suggests to me that NY doesn’t necessarily have to be geared only toward more physical personnel.

How about:

Boyd, Sugar, Stokes, NY first rounder for Jefferson and SA/LV first rounder if it’s first overall?

I can dream right?



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55115
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Darsch was Smith's college coach. Mentioning her seems fitting.



_________________
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2016
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a question that intrigues me. How does Katie Smith feel about the current Liberty roster? Does she feel our team is one or two good moves away from being a championship contender? Or that our roster needs serious changes? (I'm in the latter camp.)



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she has served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships.
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 17793



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or do you just need a backup point guard who can shoot the 3 ball? (I'm in the Latta camp.)



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20884



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib need more-better 3 shooting. The shooting/offense was painful to watch. On paper this team looks good but somehow either the chemistry isn't there or something else is going on. I like both Prince and Sugar but they were so, so inconsistent this year it was also painful to watch.

They need either a 3 and/or a PG who can shoot from distance. It doesn't work to have neither of them able to shoot...ie I don't see Zellous and Boyd starting together.

I would like to keep both Prince and Rodgers but would give up one of them for the right player in return. At this point neither Zellous nor Boyd have trade value but both have team value. Maybe Stokes or Vaughn do. They were also a disappointing duo this year but not sure how to improve there. Though I think bringing back Swords as a backup would help.

So I guess ideally try to trade Stokes and one of the SG for a real SF and a good enough PG? Wouldn't it be nice to have FLB back? Unrealistic I would guess.

Bottom line: better shooters and preferably at multiple positions.

Luuc, I think Latta is a Mystic til retirement. They both talk about how she is like a daughter to Mike and his wife. Could be wrong. But this year she really looked closer to retirement so I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't occur in the next two years.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou


Last edited by myrtle on 10/16/17 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3919
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/16/17 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
root_thing wrote:
That's sort of my gut feeling, but I guess we'll have to take comfort from this:

Quote:
Smith said at the time that she has drawn on experiences with former coaches Nancy Darsch and Brian Agler as well as Laimbeer while growing as a coach. She said she also has taken notes from Geno Auriemma at the University of Connecticut and spent time at Ohio State learning from current coach Kevin McGuff.


http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20171016/wnba--katie-smith-to-be-named-next-coach-of-new-york-liberty-reports-say


Ugh, I am even less comforted by most of that quote. But let's see what happens.


No one is perfect. All of those coaches have had more success than most. The hope is that Katie takes the best of each while avoiding their shortcomings.



_________________
We live in a political world
Love don't have any place
We're living in times
Where men commit crimes
And crime don't have any face
Youth Coach



Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 4279



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/17 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
I'm so stoked about this.


Congrats to Katie on her new gig. I'm sure she'll do great things in New York. YC, you were the first person I thought of when I saw this news. I can just imagine you doing Carl Edwards win celebrations or a few Gabby Douglas balance beam dismounts. (backflips)

Now you have a new challenge. You have a Katie Smith Player autograph. Time to get a Katie Smith Head Coach autograph.


Thanks for crediting me with more flexibility than I've ever had in terms of gymnastics.

And I'd have to actually get to a game in order to get an auto.
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2016
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/17 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mechelle Voepel article on Katie Smith:

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/21044781/katie-smith-takes-head-coach-new-york-liberty



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she has served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45019



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/17 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Smith confirmed that fellow assistants Teresa Weatherspoon and Herb Williams will continue to be part of the organization.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45019



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/17 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This might give a little insight on what we can expect from the Liberty offense next season.
https://twitter.com/jrnba/status/920318504401637381



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
5thmantheme



Joined: 11 Apr 2016
Posts: 340



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/17 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heh.
I was gonna say the Stars have 287 posts right now on the 3 threads, to the Libs 241, so what's wrong with y'all

... but the Stars just got "L"-FO, so technically until the official clarification, they are Lib's threads.


LibFan25



Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 378
Location: Yonkers, NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/17 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
Smith confirmed that fellow assistants Teresa Weatherspoon and Herb Williams will continue to be part of the organization.



very interesting. i thought she was gonna pick a whole new staff


Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2016
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/17 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Quote:
Smith confirmed that fellow assistants Teresa Weatherspoon and Herb Williams will continue to be part of the organization.



very interesting. i thought she was gonna pick a whole new staff


I wouldn't assume that these decisions are entirely hers. Or hers at all. It's possible, but there's no way to be sure.

The more I think about this... Katie Smith is not only just beginning as the head coach of the Liberty but has never been a head coach before. That puts her in a less than ideal position to fight for who she'd want as her assistants. Herb Williams has been in DolanWorld forever and Teresa Weatherspoon is cherished above anyone for her career with the Liberty. Perhaps Katie Smith absolutely wants these two with her. But, in any case, it might not be easy for her to push out either or both.



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she has served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships.


Last edited by Bob Lamm on 10/17/17 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Youth Coach



Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 4279



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/17 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
This might give a little insight on what we can expect from the Liberty offense next season.
https://twitter.com/jrnba/status/920318504401637381


Hell, when I was still coaching, I used that as one of my offensive sets for years.
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15241
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/17/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
Heh.
I was gonna say the Stars have 287 posts right now on the 3 threads, to the Libs 241, so what's wrong with y'all

... but the Stars just got "L"-FO, so technically until the official clarification, they are Lib's threads.


we are everywhere and legion.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2016
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/18/17 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One more among many questions. Will the Liberty add another assistant coach? (Tanisha Wright? Vickie Johnson?) In recent years, there have been two assistant coaches plus Teresa Weatherspoon in her various titles.



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she has served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships.
stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6292
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/18/17 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tanisha Wright just took an assistant coach position at UNCC, fwiw.



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
Lib Fan



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 4123
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 10/18/17 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
One more among many questions. Will the Liberty add another assistant coach? (Tanisha Wright? Vickie Johnson?) In recent years, there have been two assistant coaches plus Teresa Weatherspoon in her various titles.


Yes I believe Katie will have another assistant coach, and I will be happy
if its VJ !



_________________
Go Liberty 2011
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin