RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23362



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looks slightly bigger than our local HS gym....in a town of less than 2500.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4452
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you're following the European model -- i.e., minimal dependence on box office revenue -- that's what arenas look like. However, in this country, can you look that low budget and still drum up enough sponsorship and TV interest to make it work?



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49480



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a league pass viewer, I enjoy Liberty games at WCC the same as MSG. Maybe the lighting is slightly better at MSG, but it’s negligible.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8661



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
If you're following the European model -- i.e., minimal dependence on box office revenue -- that's what arenas look like. However, in this country, can you look that low budget and still drum up enough sponsorship and TV interest to make it work?


Here's a theory as to how MSG might actually try to hold onto the Liberty. They roll the Liberty and g-Knicks into one profit center, sell sponsorship and maybe even ticket packages that roll the two teams together, while combining the overhead - support staff, ticket sales, team docs, marketing, etc into one. If the combined entities make money they are geniuses. If the lose money - its a cost of doing business in the NBA to have g-league team, and combining with the Liberty helps defray some of the operating costs. This may placate any annoying board members or shareholders who thought Liberty were a loser and no one will really know the profit and loss for the Liberty on their own anyway.

Just rampant speculation on my part, but it would allow the Liberty to stay in the hands of HLJ and IT if that can't sell it for enough or if they really want to keep it.


root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4452
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:
If you're following the European model -- i.e., minimal dependence on box office revenue -- that's what arenas look like. However, in this country, can you look that low budget and still drum up enough sponsorship and TV interest to make it work?


Here's a theory as to how MSG might actually try to hold onto the Liberty. They roll the Liberty and g-Knicks into one profit center, sell sponsorship and maybe even ticket packages that roll the two teams together, while combining the overhead - support staff, ticket sales, team docs, marketing, etc into one. If the combined entities make money they are geniuses. If the lose money - its a cost of doing business in the NBA to have g-league team, and combining with the Liberty helps defray some of the operating costs. This may placate any annoying board members or shareholders who thought Liberty were a loser and no one will really know the profit and loss for the Liberty on their own anyway.

Just rampant speculation on my part, but it would allow the Liberty to stay in the hands of HLJ and IT if that can't sell it for enough or if they really want to keep it.


To a large extent, the two operations were already combined. In fact, the sales reps were MSG people who sold tickets for the Rangers as well as Knicks and Liberty. Most of the MSG sponsorships benefited all teams. The Liberty still share training facilities with the Knicks. All of this was done functionally even while the financial reporting was split. I even recall attempts to package Liberty tickets with Knicks and Rangers tickets. I remember it pissed people off because the default was to take the Liberty offer, so fans had to uncheck a box or otherwise indicate they didn't want Liberty tickets. On a side note, we've heard no-nothing male fans complain that NBA support for the WNBA hurts male players in the D-League (before it became the G-League). Just ignorant crap, but combining the Liberty with the Knicks would probably exacerbate that misconception. I also think it's too late to fool institutional shareholders who have been following MSG for a long time. Smile



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4452
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
As a league pass viewer, I enjoy Liberty games at WCC the same as MSG. Maybe the lighting is slightly better at MSG, but it’s negligible.


I meant ESPN, Twitter or anyone else who wants to distribute WNBA games. It's doubtful this is significantly profitable for them. Broadcasters and sponsors are likely hanging on based on hopes of better days ahead. However, if the league looks too conspicuously like a small time operation or appears to be going backward, how long will other businesses want to associate with the WNBA?



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6859



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Quote:
W.N.B.A. President Lisa Borders said the league had been pleased with the fan response to the Liberty’s move.

“This move to a smaller venue has created an intimate and exciting environment for the passionate fan base,” she said. “Madison Square Garden, one of the world’s most coveted — and arguably most expensive — venues at which to hold games and events, was no longer an ideal location to play a full season of Liberty games given the economics.”


Such BS by Borders.


What is the BS part?


NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 12415



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

“Exciting”



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17699



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the passionate fan base isn't showing up. Read the article. The commute is just too much. Be interesting to see how they draw on a Saturday or Sunday.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2428
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The next step to creating an "intimate" atmosphere for the Liberty will be moving 2019 home games to the courts on West 4th Street. Lisa Borders will then be able to claim, with absolutely no b.s., that the Liberty will have the most intimate atmosphere for any professional sports team on our planet.



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships. Now she is part of the Senior Management Team of UNICEF USA.
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 12415



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing

Don’t give them ideas. They might move the home games to Rucker. It probably seats more than the County Center if you bring in more bleachers. Or Dyckman for that matter. Wink



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4452
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do West 4th already while waiting for movies to start across the street at IFC. The Liberty and a movie -- cool doubleheader! Very Happy Cool



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17699



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just move the team to Arthur Ashe stadium and have them play outdoors for the summer. I'm sure that'll go over well. And most of August until mid-September the Liberty would be a road team for a month.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 12415



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I do West 4th already while waiting for movies to start across the street at IFC. The Liberty and a movie -- cool doubleheader! Very Happy Cool


I’d come down and hang for those games on a Saturday or Sunday. Let me know when you go if you want and I’ll come down.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57588
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It still boggles my mind that the biggest city in the world doesn't have an arena in-between gigantic 25000 seat monster and 2000-seat gym built in the 1930's.



_________________
Make lots of noise
Kiss lots of boys
Or kiss lots of girls
If that's something you're into
When the straight and narrow
Gets a little too straight
Roll up a joint, or don't
Just follow your arrow
Wherever it points, yeah
Follow your arrow
Wherever it points
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2428
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/18/18 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm really happy that my idea of the Liberty playing on the West 4th Street courts is catching on. Is it too late to move this season's Westchester County Center games?

I won't even demand that Lisa Borders give me the credit when she announces that the New York Liberty will have the most "intimate" venue of any professional sports team anywhere.

And let's not forget: there will be a dramatic change in the fan experience while watching the Liberty play on West 4th Street. No more complaints about referees at home games. Players call fouls themselves.



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships. Now she is part of the Senior Management Team of UNICEF USA.
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4452
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/19/18 4:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And players don't run hard both ways, especially on defense. Can't complain about coaching when player effort is optional... or when there's no coach.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6859



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/19/18 5:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YID3H2GdTIw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>


<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tjYkJGpgW60" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6859



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/19/18 5:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KCn3DBAdoc4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8661



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/19/18 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I'm really happy that my idea of the Liberty playing on the West 4th Street courts is catching on. Is it too late to move this season's Westchester County Center games?

I won't even demand that Lisa Borders give me the credit when she announces that the New York Liberty will have the most "intimate" venue of any professional sports team anywhere.

And let's not forget: there will be a dramatic change in the fan experience while watching the Liberty play on West 4th Street. No more complaints about referees at home games. Players call fouls themselves.


Players already do that now. In fact, they pretty much make all the calls - fouls, out of bounds, travelling, 3 seconds, etc.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14450
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/19/18 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It still boggles my mind that the biggest city in the world doesn't have an arena in-between gigantic 25000 seat monster and 2000-seat gym built in the 1930's.


Chungking seems to have a pretty wide range of arenas, but it seems a strange place for the Liberty to play. Same with Tokyo, if you prefer metro areas to city limits.


NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 12415



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/19/18 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’d seriously prefer Radio City to this.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49480



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/19/18 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I’d seriously prefer Radio City to this.


Wouldn’t that have the same pricey or fully booked a problem?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 12415



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/19/18 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s possible. I don’t know the logistics other than they’ve played there before.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 12415



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/19/18 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just looked at the events page. About 7-8 events there through 8/31.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 69 of 90

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin