View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/16/18 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You tell him, Gale! Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/16/18 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
You tell him, Gale! Very Happy

YES. It would be wonderful to see public officials stick it to Hideous Lord Jimmy.

PostPosted: 03/16/18 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really hoping he gets his ass handed to him!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 03/16/18 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why did the New York City politicians give a $50 million annual tax break to MSG in the first place?

Randy

PostPosted: 03/16/18 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Really hoping he gets his ass handed to him!!

Do NY fans think this will persuade him to change his mind?

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/16/18 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In July 2013, the City Council extended MSG's permit by 10 years. After that, they want to knock down MSG and Penn Station to build an expanded train station. Maybe Dolan can build the new MSG in White Plains. Smile

PostPosted: 03/16/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
In July 2013, the City Council extended MSG's permit by 10 years. After that, they want to knock down MSG and Penn Station to build an expanded train station. Maybe Dolan can build the new MSG in White Plains. Smile

Holy cow. I had no idea. Have they made any efforts to identify a new location and start permitting/building or are they banking on making it so successful that the city changes its mind? Also, I thought Grand Central Station was the big station. Are they intending to have 2? I know Penn Station is there but don't know whether those trains also pass through Grand Central.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/16/18 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Holy cow. I had no idea. Have they made any efforts to identify a new location and start permitting/building or are they banking on making it so successful that the city changes its mind? Also, I thought Grand Central Station was the big station. Are they intending to have 2? I know Penn Station is there but don't know whether those trains also pass through Grand Central.

Grand Central is on the Eastside, while Penn Station is on the West. They handle different train lines -- both commuter and subways. Grand Central is the original landmark building. The historic Penn Station was demolished to build the current drab complex in the early 1960's. It's considered maybe the most shameful architectural loss in the history of New York. Along with more space, the other great motivation for building a new Penn Station is to erect something more aesthetically worthy as a gateway to the City.

My guess is that it's a game of chicken between Dolan and the City Council. Eventually, MSG will probably have to move: this is already the third building, all on different sites. But nothing will happen five years from now. Planning and construction move slowly in New York. More likely 2053 than 2023. Still, it's nice to see Dolan sweat a bit.

PostPosted: 03/16/18 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Grand Central is a land mark and a big station (metro north/subway) and i know they were talking about connecting the LIRR(which goes to penn) to grand central.Penn is also big because Amtrak, NJ Transit, LIRR and the Subway all connect there. They were talking about making the Post Office across the street part of the transit hub. I believe for Amtrak. Not sure if that is even talked about now. i know there was also talk of moving MSG. Which will cost a lot of money.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/16/18 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

LOL.

PostPosted: 03/16/18 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

libertycrazy97 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Grand Central is a land mark and a big station (metro north/subway) and i know they were talking about connecting the LIRR(which goes to penn) to grand central.Penn is also big because Amtrak, NJ Transit, LIRR and the Subway all connect there. They were talking about making the Post Office across the street part of the transit hub. I believe for Amtrak. Not sure if that is even talked about now. i know there was also talk of moving MSG. Which will cost a lot of money.

There is definitely a plan to connect the Long Island Railroad to Grand Central Station. I don't know how far along it is. Obviously a huge project that will take lots of time and money.

Grand Central Station and Penn Station each handle a huge capacity of riders. I don't know how the numbers compare. Grand Central handles three Metro North lines: the Hudson line, the Harlem line, and the New Haven line. It also is a stop for various subway lines. As is mentioned above, Penn Station handles Amtrak, New Jersey Transit, and the Long Island Railroad, as well as various subway lines. By any reasonable measure, they are both "big stations."

PostPosted: 03/19/18 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
libertycrazy97 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

There is definitely a plan to connect the Long Island Railroad to Grand Central Station. I don't know how far along it is. Obviously a huge project that will take lots of time and money.

Grand Central Station and Penn Station each handle a huge capacity of riders. I don't know how the numbers compare. Grand Central handles three Metro North lines: the Hudson line, the Harlem line, and the New Haven line. It also is a stop for various subway lines. As is mentioned above, Penn Station handles Amtrak, New Jersey Transit, and the Long Island Railroad, as well as various subway lines. By any reasonable measure, they are both "big stations."

You are not kidding. Part of me is happy i work in westchester and not the city. I couldn't deal with that every day.

i wonder when we will hear the rest of the coaching staff?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/20/18 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any liberty fans think coach smith did a little sneak scouting on Shaq Thomas Tonight? I dont see her fitting with the liberty at all , but what do you fans think? Toaaaad? Wink

PostPosted: 03/20/18 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did some more research on MSG. Actually, I went to wikipedia and read the entry, then pulled up the bookmark articles. It would seem that they came up with an alternate proposal in 2016 that would leave all but the Theater at MSG. If the page is up to date, it sounds like there is no current plan to force it to move.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Square_Garden
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/6th-proposal-governor-cuomos-2016-agenda-transform-penn-station-and-farley-post-office-building

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/20/18 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Any liberty fans think coach smith did a little sneak scouting on Shaq Thomas Tonight? I dont see her fitting with the liberty at all , but what do you fans think? Toaaaad? Wink

No, I think she closed her eyes every time Thomas had the ball.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/20/18 1:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

No, I think she closed her eyes every time Thomas had the ball.

25 pts 5 Rebs On 10-15 Shooting? Eyes closed... Confused Seems like a predetermined answer .

PostPosted: 03/20/18 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did you actually watch Thomas? She has major, and I mean major, shortcomings in her game, including an ugly, ugly shot...so the only way you think she can help you is if you think she will be able to get to the rim unimpeded in the W. I don't think so.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/20/18 4:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A positive about S. Thomas is she is a really big 5' 11", I think between her wingspan, solid build and athleticism I think she could probably play some PF at the next level at not be at that much of a size disadvantage. If paired with a PF with range you could kind of mix and match defense and offense. S. Thomas should be able to bully her way in the post against wings and smaller PF, and probably guard smaller PF or larger wings on the defensive end.

I don't think she is a good fit with NY, though I would take her pretty quickly with our second round pick, and wouldn't be too surprised to see her work her way into the 12th spot in a role similar to Nayo, though with our current roster we need someone witn more range and finesse. I liked her in Atl in my mock but I feel like she would fit in Washington with EDD and their shooters, or maybe Indy next to Dupree, S. Johnson and I assume Mitchell.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/20/18 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't put too much stock in Thomas' performance from last night. Buffalo only has one player taller than 6-1, and they don't have anyone who is a pro-caliber athlete. They won based on skill and better team play. Hemphill has decent athletic ability, but she's skinny and I don't see much muscle definition. Dillard may have the skill and swagger to play at the next level, but she needs to get in much better shape. Consequently, Thomas was able to run amok against inferior athletes who are nowhere near what she'll face in the WNBA. I'm sure Katie Smith realizes that.

PostPosted: 03/20/18 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
I did some more research on MSG. Actually, I went to wikipedia and read the entry, then pulled up the bookmark articles. It would seem that they came up with an alternate proposal in 2016 that would leave all but the Theater at MSG. If the page is up to date, it sounds like there is no current plan to force it to move.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Square_Garden
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/6th-proposal-governor-cuomos-2016-agenda-transform-penn-station-and-farley-post-office-building

Based on these two articles, the plan is underway:

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/6/16/15821866/penn-station-governor-cuomo-redevelopment

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/01/why-a-new-train-hall-wont-fix-penn-station/549563/

However, it should be noted that this plan to expand Penn Station is a NY State initiative. MSG's operating permit is a matter of local government. What's striking about that vote from just five years ago is that it was an overwhelming 47-1. That's a lot of City Council members from districts with a variety of constituents who all voted the same way. We will see if this was simply motivated by a common desire to fix Penn Station. Otherwise, if the vote is a manifestation of underlying animosity toward Dolan and MSG, then this issue isn't over.

PostPosted: 03/20/18 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I wouldn't put too much stock in Thomas' performance from last night. Buffalo only has one player taller than 6-1, and they don't have anyone who is a pro-caliber athlete. They won based on skill and better team play. Hemphill has decent athletic ability, but she's skinny and I don't see much muscle definition. Dillard may have the skill and swagger to play at the next level, but she needs to get in much better shape. Consequently, Thomas was able to run amok against inferior athletes who are nowhere near what she'll face in the WNBA. I'm sure Katie Smith realizes that.

Agreed , pretty stern observation from liberty fans . How do you guys feel about Gabby ? Just wondering , me personally i believe all critics given to thomas also apply to Gabby but others see it differently . Would you Liberty fans take Gabby ?

PostPosted: 03/20/18 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Agreed , pretty stern observation from liberty fans . How do you guys feel about Gabby? Just wondering, me personally i believe all critics given to thomas also apply to Gabby but others see it differently . Would you Liberty fans take Gabby?

Gabby has guard skills. You’re punishing Gabby for how Geno uses her instead of having the vision to see what she could be.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/20/18 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Agreed , pretty stern observation from liberty fans . How do you guys feel about Gabby? Just wondering, me personally i believe all critics given to thomas also apply to Gabby but others see it differently . Would you Liberty fans take Gabby?

Gabby has guard skills. You’re punishing Gabby for how Geno uses her instead of having the vision to see what she could be.

Thomas has guard skills , You're Punishing Shakayla for how Sue uses her instead of having the vision to see what she could be . Laughing

PostPosted: 03/20/18 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Agreed , pretty stern observation from liberty fans . How do you guys feel about Gabby ? Just wondering , me personally i believe all critics given to thomas also apply to Gabby but others see it differently . Would you Liberty fans take Gabby ?

I think Gabby plays a smarter team-oriented game. The fact that she is a superior passer to Thomas makes a big difference. She won't get stuck with the ball if she doesn't have a shot, and she's able to make her teammates better. I also think Williams has more proven ability to defend on the perimeter. Both are non-traditional players, but I think Williams would find a way to fit into most systems. For Thomas, finding the right situation is more crucial. Since NY could use more players with shooting ability, neither Gabby nor Shakayla would be ideal. However, I'm confident that Williams could find a way to make herself useful. I'm not so sanguine about Thomas. Like I've posted before, she reminds me of Shayla Cooper. Thomas probably plays harder, but Cooper was three inches taller and had a little bit of 3-pt shooting ability. That said, I freely admit that I haven't seen Thomas that much this year -- maybe three full games and a bunch of brief looks.

In terms of the draft overall, at this point, I'm fine with any player who can find minutes in the rotation. At #10, you can't expect too much. Bench help to fill a specific need is good enough for me. In practical terms, that means anyone other than a player who can only play SG. NY already has a logjam of 2-guards. I doubt any rookie who comes in will get minutes ahead of Prince and Rodgers, and then you also have Zealous and Hartley who can shift over to SG.

PostPosted: 03/20/18 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah I like Williams a lot more than Thomas for the Liberty even with her lack of an outside shot. I don't think Gabby would be ideal for NY but I would take her and figure it out later. I think Gabby can be to the SF position what D-Rob was to the PG position less traditional because of her lack of a shot but still very successful because of her other skills and defense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 34 of 90

Jump to: