RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 09/12/17 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In terms of starting PGs, yeah Hartley's at the bottom. Grateful she was able to do what she was able to do, but with a healthy Boyd & hopefully either L. Allen or a FA PG, Hartley should be our back-up SG next season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
LibFan25

PostPosted: 09/12/17 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I was rough on Bria in the first part of the season, and I'm still not thrilled with her, but she seems to have found a niche. But her being far better as a starter than as a reserve just fucks up the rotation further. I don't think we can bench both Piph and Sugar, I don't think Bria and Brittany Boyd are a balanced combo in the backcourt, and I don't think we can go three-guard set with the guards we have (and if we did, where does that leave Z?).

Yeah Liberty management definitely have some tough decisions to make, I think they still believe in Boyd, they love Z's leadership so I don't think they are going anywhere. I can see them letting Hartley walk or resigning, Piph and Sugar both have some value, I think Sugar has more value due to her being younger and being available(overseas commitment)

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/12/17 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The object is to win games, and with Hartley starting, New York won a lot of games.

But correlation is not causation, necessarily, and saying Hartley is better than Prince at lead guard is not saying a lot. (Prince is a decent two guard, but not a point.)

Which leads to the next point: Zellous turns 32 late next summer, and for her career, PER has her as a just below-average player. I'm not buying that completely, but what value does an older shooting guard have who has had an above average PER three times in her nine-year career?

Yes, she has some value, but what GM would give up a young player with potential for a veteran who might give a team a year or two before fading? Or maybe no years at all?

Epiphanny Prince turns 29 in January so she too is trending downward on the effectiveness curve, though of course she could still be a strong player for several years. Her PER is much better than Zellous, but then again PER doesn't capture defense as well as it might.

Like most veterans, though, Prince's TOs have gone down, but she also doesn't get to the free-throw line nearly as much as she did before.

So what team needs two older perimeter players (expensive ones, at that, I believe) badly enough to give up a younger asset that could help the Liberty get the most out of Tina Charles?

OK, throw in the No. 10, which netted these players in the last five years:

Kaela Davis
Imani Boyette
Samantha Logic
Markeisha Gatling
A'dia Matthies

The bottom line, I would say, for New York is that the most likely option is to hope Boyd comes back at full strength, and that Hartley, Zellous and Prince all have really good years. After all, the team went 22-12 this season, which is pretty good, and did so without Boyd.

PostPosted: 09/12/17 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Fenerbahce Women's Team's new transfer is learned that it is difficult for Kia Vaughn to be a European citizen.

Previously, Kelsey Plumm and Aerial Powers, who joined the Yellow Lacivertlists, wanted to play Vaughn, a Czech citizen, as European. However, the fact that the player is wearing the U20 in the US National Team is seen as an obstacle to this situation.

According to the new rule in our league, teams will be able to crawl 4 aliens, but only 2 of them may be illegal. Plumm and Powers will be able to leave Vaughn out of the league.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/13/17 5:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could Jamierra Faulkner be a trade target for New York?

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/13/17 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

I'd enjoy it, but I think she might be much of a muchness if we're keeping Boyd. IMO, we need a PG with a jumper.

(now with spelling variations)
toad455

PostPosted: 09/13/17 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

She could, but what are we giving Chicago? R. Allen? Not our biggest need for 2018.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/13/17 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

Evil Bill does like big guards...

PostPosted: 09/13/17 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

I'd enjoy it, but I think she might be much of a muchness if we're keeping Boyd. IMO, we need a PG with a jumper.

If you want a point guard with a jumper then New York's primary objective should be to acquire Lexie Brown in next year's draft. You might have to trade up to get her because other teams might be coveting her also.

PostPosted: 09/13/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

If you want a point guard with a jumper then New York's primary objective should be to acquire Lexie Brown in next year's draft. You might have to trade up to get her because other teams might be coveting her also.

If she has another great year like she did last, she won't even get pass the 6th pick. I can see Dallas scooping her up.

Duke vs Ohio state --- that Brown vs Mitchell matchup will be fun and interesting to watch.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/13/17 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Seattle might be eyeing Lexie Brown. Unless players like Collier, Stevens & McGowan declare early.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 09/13/17 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think Seattle might be eyeing Lexie Brown. Unless players like Collier, Stevens & McGowan declare early.

i think Seattle might be looking for a need then "best available" they need a post player badly

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/13/17 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

i think Seattle might be looking for a need then "best available" they need a post player badly

This is why I think Stokes and #10 for #5 is a trade that makes sense for both teams. Seattle already has its two stars they need to build around them. Stokes is a nice defensive post to play with Stewart and Loyd and someone like Nurse or Canada at #10 would be a good fit for Seattle. NY needs a higher impact player, if that player can be obtained at #5 say Deshields, K. Mitchell or G. Williams than we should go for it. (Of course if they go 2, 3, and 4 I would probably rather just keep Stokes and whoever we would get at #10 possibly Nared Nurse or Canada).

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/14/17 3:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

This is why I think Stokes and #10 for #5 is a trade that makes sense for both teams. Seattle already has its two stars they need to build around them. Stokes is a nice defensive post to play with Stewart and Loyd and someone like Nurse or Canada at #10 would be a good fit for Seattle. NY needs a higher impact player, if that player can be obtained at #5 say Deshields, K. Mitchell or G. Williams than we should go for it. (Of course if they go 2, 3, and 4 I would probably rather just keep Stokes and whoever we would get at #10 possibly Nared Nurse or Canada).

Dont follow the college players but yeah i would do that based of a HUGE need for a defensive center that can take the pressure of Stewart and fix our defense. Let Langhorne come off the bench

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 09/14/17 5:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Dont follow the college players but yeah i would do that based of a HUGE need for a defensive center that can take the pressure of Stewart and fix our defense. Let Langhorne come off the bench

toss in our 2nd OR the rights to Shoni and give us swords back and you got a deal otherwise Stokes is a lot to give up...going north with your centers being Vaughn and zhaui isn't an easy feeling

PostPosted: 09/14/17 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stokes for the 5th pick seems about right.Throwing in the #10 pick would be excessive,unless you're also getting back Langhorne.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/14/17 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe the Stokes from her rookie year gets you back the #5 straight up in this draft, but at this point thre's a reason that New York fans are decidedly willing to dump her. She's spent all this season as the backup to a player Lib fans are also trying to get shot of. She seems like she'd be a nice fit in Seattle, but don't overpay for a center again to get her.

PostPosted: 09/14/17 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Lib fans are that down on Stokes,send her to dallas for Christmas & the #6 pick........You can keep the #10 pick.

willtalk

PostPosted: 09/14/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy--- Shoni's problem has always been allowing her self to get out of shape in the off season. Why should anyone believe that she would keep in WNBA basketball shape after an entire season off when she couldn't ever do it between seasons. Unless she actually shows that she has changed that cycle she has 0 trade value. NY has nothing to lose inviting her to camp because they already hold her rights .

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/14/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kiah Stokes for Diamond DeShields seems like an even deal to me ...

The potential is there for both, but you have no idea what you're going to get.

PostPosted: 09/14/17 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well said Forest Gump Wink Laughing

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/14/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Maybe the Stokes from her rookie year gets you back the #5 straight up in this draft, but at this point thre's a reason that New York fans are decidedly willing to dump her. She's spent all this season as the backup to a player Lib fans are also trying to get shot of. She seems like she'd be a nice fit in Seattle, but don't overpay for a center again to get her.

I agreed with everything up to "she'd be a nice fit in Seattle." Strikes me the last thing they need is another too-short center, especially when this one lacks the offensive output of the current one.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/14/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Kiah Stokes for Diamond DeShields seems like an even deal to me ...

The potential is there for both, but you have no idea what you're going to get.

I would assume we've already seen near the ceiling of Stokes, while with DeShields that ceiling could be a bit higher. Boom/bust with DeShields, stable middlin' expectations with Stokes.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/14/17 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would love to do it without #10 but was trying to be realistic.

Not down on Stokes tbh I think she is our player with the highest trade value, but I don't think it is top 5 pick high. (Stokes to Dallas for #6 might work, I think Christmas is an UFA as well.)

I think we might able to get Swords for free she is an Unrestricted free agent. I doubt Seattle cores her because that means paying her a max contract if no one is willing to trade for her.

So if it looks better Stokes and #10 for Swords and #5 (but really we just sign Swords as an UFA).

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/14/17 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I agreed with everything up to "she'd be a nice fit in Seattle." Strikes me the last thing they need is another too-short center, especially when this one lacks the offensive output of the current one.

Stokes is bigger than Langhorne and more athletic than Swords. There simply aren't that many 6' 5" plus athletic centers out there so Stokes id probably the next best thing. Combining her with Langhorne as a 2 headed center is a good option for Seattle. Who else is out there that would be better for Seattle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 3 of 90

Jump to: