RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 88, 89, 90  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8669



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/18/18 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cold. Some of those are just cold. Razz


NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 12415



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/18/18 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming that Katie Smith has some power to make player personnel decisions (who knows) I wonder if she will approach next season with less deference to veterans than she approached this season.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2432
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/18/18 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Assuming that Katie Smith has some power to make player personnel decisions (who knows) I wonder if she will approach next season with less deference to veterans than she approached this season.


Very interesting questions.



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships. Now she is part of the Senior Management Team of UNICEF USA.
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4456
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/19/18 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Assuming that Katie Smith has some power to make player personnel decisions (who knows) I wonder if she will approach next season with less deference to veterans than she approached this season.


We don't really know anything when it comes to outlook or philosophy. We can't even rely on management to be active. That was the great thing about having Laimbeer. You could agree or disagree with his approach, but at least you knew he wouldn't be sitting on his ass. With this bunch?... That's why I generally stay away from the trade and free agency discussions. We don't have a clue what management is thinking. The draft is a little easier because you know the team is given picks and no matter how lazy management is they have to show up and make the selections. The slots are fixed (likely 4, then 14 & 26), so you can guess which players are available and match them to obvious team needs. But trades and free agents? All we can do is hope for the best. We are like farmers praying for rain.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2432
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/19/18 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Assuming that Katie Smith has some power to make player personnel decisions (who knows) I wonder if she will approach next season with less deference to veterans than she approached this season.


We don't really know anything when it comes to outlook or philosophy. We can't even rely on management to be active. That was the great thing about having Laimbeer. You could agree or disagree with his approach, but at least you knew he wouldn't be sitting on his ass. With this bunch?... That's why I generally stay away from the trade and free agency discussions. We don't have a clue what management is thinking. The draft is a little easier because you know the team is given picks and no matter how lazy management is they have to show up and make the selections. The slots are fixed (likely 4, then 14 & 26), so you can guess which players are available and match them to obvious team needs. But trades and free agents? All we can do is hope for the best. We are like farmers praying for rain.


It's so crazy that even with your detailed list we don't know who made various decisions in the last offseason and who will make them this time.



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships. Now she is part of the Senior Management Team of UNICEF USA.
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4456
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/19/18 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Assuming that Katie Smith has some power to make player personnel decisions (who knows) I wonder if she will approach next season with less deference to veterans than she approached this season.


We don't really know anything when it comes to outlook or philosophy. We can't even rely on management to be active. That was the great thing about having Laimbeer. You could agree or disagree with his approach, but at least you knew he wouldn't be sitting on his ass. With this bunch?... That's why I generally stay away from the trade and free agency discussions. We don't have a clue what management is thinking. The draft is a little easier because you know the team is given picks and no matter how lazy management is they have to show up and make the selections. The slots are fixed (likely 4, then 14 & 26), so you can guess which players are available and match them to obvious team needs. But trades and free agents? All we can do is hope for the best. We are like farmers praying for rain.


It's so crazy that even with your detailed list we don't know who made various decisions in the last offseason and who will make them this time.


I'm guessing Katie Smith signed her old teammate Coleman. Back then, I don't think Isiah knew Marissa Coleman from Gary Coleman. He's probably only aware of stars.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7594
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/19/18 5:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Assuming that Katie Smith has some power to make player personnel decisions (who knows) I wonder if she will approach next season with less deference to veterans than she approached this season.


We don't really know anything when it comes to outlook or philosophy. We can't even rely on management to be active. That was the great thing about having Laimbeer. You could agree or disagree with his approach, but at least you knew he wouldn't be sitting on his ass. With this bunch?... That's why I generally stay away from the trade and free agency discussions. We don't have a clue what management is thinking. The draft is a little easier because you know the team is given picks and no matter how lazy management is they have to show up and make the selections. The slots are fixed (likely 4, then 14 & 26), so you can guess which players are available and match them to obvious team needs. But trades and free agents? All we can do is hope for the best. We are like farmers praying for rain.


It's so crazy that even with your detailed list we don't know who made various decisions in the last offseason and who will make them this time.


I'm guessing Katie Smith signed her old teammate Coleman. Back then, I don't think Isiah knew Marissa Coleman from Gary Coleman. He's probably only aware of stars.


Go to your room and DONT come out til the messiah returns! Laughing



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 12415



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/19/18 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Assuming that Katie Smith has some power to make player personnel decisions (who knows) I wonder if she will approach next season with less deference to veterans than she approached this season.


We don't really know anything when it comes to outlook or philosophy. We can't even rely on management to be active. That was the great thing about having Laimbeer. You could agree or disagree with his approach, but at least you knew he wouldn't be sitting on his ass. With this bunch?... That's why I generally stay away from the trade and free agency discussions. We don't have a clue what management is thinking. The draft is a little easier because you know the team is given picks and no matter how lazy management is they have to show up and make the selections. The slots are fixed (likely 4, then 14 & 26), so you can guess which players are available and match them to obvious team needs. But trades and free agents? All we can do is hope for the best. We are like farmers praying for rain.


It's so crazy that even with your detailed list we don't know who made various decisions in the last offseason and who will make them this time.


I'm guessing Katie Smith signed her old teammate Coleman. Back then, I don't think Isiah knew Marissa Coleman from Gary Coleman. He's probably only aware of stars.


I'm confident Katie Smith signed Marissa Coleman, especially given how Coleman was supposed to be a centerpiece to some philosophical changes regarding lineups and matchups.

It's the same reason I feel Rebecca Allen is a part of their 2019 plans. You see how often they used her to post up when she's playing the 3 spot. You see her get some run at the 4 spot too. I'd assume Coleman is not a part of their 2019 plans. I do believe Allen is.

Of course, that could all change depending on who they draft next year and may also be partially dependent on whether or not Zellous returns.

To me, the use of hybrid players at the 4 spot has to be very strategic, very matchup-based and has to be done only with very specialized players. Ideally, you'd want to be able to find a 6'1" or 6'2" player with more natural 4 spot skill mixed in with the athleticism and face-up ability of a 3 spot player. So I'm not really in agreement with this conversion if you will, of Allen and Coleman into heavy post-up options. To Allen's credit, I think she's done ok with it. But the fact that we've seen Coleman score with such a lack of efficiency in the low post is enough I think to give anybody some pause regarding the NY talent eval process. We've seen Seattle and Atlanta have success with the additions of Howard and Breland in roles similar to the ones I described above. As Myrtle pointed out in one of her comments, Cambage is likely out next year and the league in general has seen some success with this hybrid post player approach. If guarding Cambage is not a concern, I think that could potentially alter your thought process to how you want to build. My question is, does Katie eschew a true C in favor of a hybrid player in the draft even if we win one of the top two draft choices? Katie Lou might someday be a hybrid player if/when she adds muscle. And we know Collier is a hybrid right now. I'd rather the post player but would any of us be surprised if it's not?



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
bballjunkie



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 632



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/19/18 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Colliers game is in the paint as was seen last year when she struggled with Stevens on the floor, it will take her some time to change her game. KLS is a hybrid and she is just as strong as Stewie who people also said needed to add muscle.


root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4456
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/19/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I'm confident Katie Smith signed Marissa Coleman, especially given how Coleman was supposed to be a centerpiece to some philosophical changes regarding lineups and matchups.

It's the same reason I feel Rebecca Allen is a part of their 2019 plans. You see how often they used her to post up when she's playing the 3 spot. You see her get some run at the 4 spot too. I'd assume Coleman is not a part of their 2019 plans. I do believe Allen is.

Of course, that could all change depending on who they draft next year and may also be partially dependent on whether or not Zellous returns.

To me, the use of hybrid players at the 4 spot has to be very strategic, very matchup-based and has to be done only with very specialized players. Ideally, you'd want to be able to find a 6'1" or 6'2" player with more natural 4 spot skill mixed in with the athleticism and face-up ability of a 3 spot player. So I'm not really in agreement with this conversion if you will, of Allen and Coleman into heavy post-up options. To Allen's credit, I think she's done ok with it. But the fact that we've seen Coleman score with such a lack of efficiency in the low post is enough I think to give anybody some pause regarding the NY talent eval process. We've seen Seattle and Atlanta have success with the additions of Howard and Breland in roles similar to the ones I described above. As Myrtle pointed out in one of her comments, Cambage is likely out next year and the league in general has seen some success with this hybrid post player approach. If guarding Cambage is not a concern, I think that could potentially alter your thought process to how you want to build. My question is, does Katie eschew a true C in favor of a hybrid player in the draft even if we win one of the top two draft choices? Katie Lou might someday be a hybrid player if/when she adds muscle. And we know Collier is a hybrid right now. I'd rather the post player but would any of us be surprised if it's not?


You should try out the website link that Aladyyn posted on the Mystics thread. It allows you to enter a five-player combination to see how they performed together this season. For New York, the mindboggling thing isn't the performance of various combinations. It's the fact that the most used combination (Charles, Vaughn, Coleman, Zellous, Hartley) only played together for 58 minutes or 110 possessions for the entire season. That's your most active line-up! To put things in perspective, NY averaged 78.5 possessions per game. No other combination I could find cracked 100 possessions for the season. In fact, I don't remember any others that topped 80 possessions. The link is below if you want to try it yourself. Use the menu on the left. Select "Statistics" and then "On/Off".

https://www.positiveresidual.com/shiny/wnba/

I didn't try every combination, so maybe I missed something. I assumed that the most active line-up would include Charles and Hartley, who lead the team in minutes. However, the next four leaders in minutes -- Nurse, AZB, Rodgers, and Boyd -- are not in that most active combination. Strange. It just points out how dispersed the minutes have been this season. One can certainly argue that the lack of continuity has hurt team play.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 12415



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/19/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I'm confident Katie Smith signed Marissa Coleman, especially given how Coleman was supposed to be a centerpiece to some philosophical changes regarding lineups and matchups.

It's the same reason I feel Rebecca Allen is a part of their 2019 plans. You see how often they used her to post up when she's playing the 3 spot. You see her get some run at the 4 spot too. I'd assume Coleman is not a part of their 2019 plans. I do believe Allen is.

Of course, that could all change depending on who they draft next year and may also be partially dependent on whether or not Zellous returns.

To me, the use of hybrid players at the 4 spot has to be very strategic, very matchup-based and has to be done only with very specialized players. Ideally, you'd want to be able to find a 6'1" or 6'2" player with more natural 4 spot skill mixed in with the athleticism and face-up ability of a 3 spot player. So I'm not really in agreement with this conversion if you will, of Allen and Coleman into heavy post-up options. To Allen's credit, I think she's done ok with it. But the fact that we've seen Coleman score with such a lack of efficiency in the low post is enough I think to give anybody some pause regarding the NY talent eval process. We've seen Seattle and Atlanta have success with the additions of Howard and Breland in roles similar to the ones I described above. As Myrtle pointed out in one of her comments, Cambage is likely out next year and the league in general has seen some success with this hybrid post player approach. If guarding Cambage is not a concern, I think that could potentially alter your thought process to how you want to build. My question is, does Katie eschew a true C in favor of a hybrid player in the draft even if we win one of the top two draft choices? Katie Lou might someday be a hybrid player if/when she adds muscle. And we know Collier is a hybrid right now. I'd rather the post player but would any of us be surprised if it's not?


You should try out the website link that Aladyyn posted on the Mystics thread. It allows you to enter a five-player combination to see how they performed together this season. For New York, the mindboggling thing isn't the performance of various combinations. It's the fact that the most used combination (Charles, Vaughn, Coleman, Zellous, Hartley) only played together for 58 minutes or 110 possessions for the entire season. That's your most active line-up! To put things in perspective, NY averaged 78.5 possessions per game. No other combination I could find cracked 100 possessions for the season. In fact, I don't remember any others that topped 80 possessions. The link is below if you want to try it yourself. Use the menu on the left. Select "Statistics" and then "On/Off".

https://www.positiveresidual.com/shiny/wnba/

I didn't try every combination, so maybe I missed something. I assumed that the most active line-up would include Charles and Hartley, who lead the team in minutes. However, the next four leaders in minutes -- Nurse, AZB, Rodgers, and Boyd -- are not in that most active combination. Strange. It just points out how dispersed the minutes have been this season. One can certainly argue that the lack of continuity has hurt team play.


Wow! Great info there. I didn't realize that the combinations were dispersed to THAT magnitude. I knew that continuity wasn't very good but that's really eye opening. I'll take a look after my trip to Applebee's. I'll ask them to put the Liberty game on and hope that I don't get ejected from the restaurant.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4456
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/19/18 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
[ I'll take a look after my trip to Applebee's. I'll ask them to put the Liberty game on and hope that I don't get ejected from the restaurant.


Laughing Laughing I'd be more afraid of the other patrons.

Here's some more perspective. I ran the Storm lineup of Stewart, Loyd, Bird, Howard and Clark. They played together 533.4 minutes or 1059 possessions. That's 9.2 times the minutes and 9.6 times the possessions of the Liberty's most used lineup.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
Bob Lamm



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 2432
Location: New York City


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/19/18 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
[ I'll take a look after my trip to Applebee's. I'll ask them to put the Liberty game on and hope that I don't get ejected from the restaurant.


Laughing Laughing I'd be more afraid of the other patrons.

Here's some more perspective. I ran the Storm lineup of Stewart, Loyd, Bird, Howard and Clark. They played together 533.4 minutes or 1059 possessions. That's 9.2 times the minutes and 9.6 times the possessions of the Liberty's most used lineup.


The information you've shared about Liberty lineups (and Seattle's) is fascinating. Thanks.



_________________
Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships. Now she is part of the Senior Management Team of UNICEF USA.
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17717



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/19/18 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watched the end of today's game even though it was over by the start of the 4th quarter. Have to say I got a little emotional. To think how good we were the past two seasons and be a title contender to finish on a 13 game losing streak and our worst season in franchise history is depressing. Really hoping Smith cleans house and half our roster is new. Don't think I can bare to watch this team again be this bad in 2019.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 12415



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/19/18 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Watched the end of today's game even though it was over by the start of the 4th quarter. Have to say I got a little emotional. To think how good we were the past two seasons and be a title contender to finish on a 13 game losing streak and our worst season in franchise history is depressing. Really hoping Smith cleans house and half our roster is new. Don't think I can bare to watch this team again be this bad in 2019.


I came here because I'm kind of emotional too. The WNBA means a whole lot to me. I've said it before but this is literally my favorite thing to do in life. No other sport features quite as much need for people to sacrifice for one another the way women's basketball does. Nor are they playing for individual stats, money or contracts. They also play through pain with little regard for individuality, especially in light of how little they are comparatively paid to other pro athletes. Nurse particularly plays with absolutely no regard for her physical well being. Tina isn't far behind.

Without the WNBA, especially in late summer, I feel like a part of my life is missing. I'm sure it sounds dumb to some people. And honestly maybe it is.
But it's the truth. Wondering about the state of the team, the new venue, the performance...it's been really hard. I even gave brief thought to the idea of would it be possible to move if they move? Like I actually thought about that for a few minutes before I realized how impractical it would be.

We now have no info from the media, no real association with the team other than the overseas updates the Liberty will provide. Now we have at least 9 full months until the season starts up again. There's still the playoffs and all, which I'll undoubtedly enjoy...and which adds another month of games almost. Then for me there's the Jets and Devils, who are looking up...along with the Yankees and maybe a potential postseason run.

But there's nothing else quite like the WNBA. Sure the players are still human beings who make mistakes, and the league has had a few scandalous situations from a few players. But it's the only sport where they play MORE for the love of the game than for the money. I truly still believe it's the number one team sport. And it really eats at me every now and then that more people don't view it in that vein.

Like I said the other day, there is a sense of relief that the season is over. But I'm still sadder than I thought I'd be,

As for the team structure, next year will be different in the sense that we will for certain have a high draft choice. Hopefully today is also an indicator that Kia and Kiah will play more prominent roles in 2019. HOW different it will be results-wise remains to be seen. But I have no doubt that there will be at least some significant differences. As much as we may have doubts about Katie's coaching, like anyone else, she'll undoubtedly reflect. Hopefully it leads to more positive outcomes next year. And Marissa Coleman not wearing seafoam.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 12415



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/19/18 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I'm confident Katie Smith signed Marissa Coleman, especially given how Coleman was supposed to be a centerpiece to some philosophical changes regarding lineups and matchups.

It's the same reason I feel Rebecca Allen is a part of their 2019 plans. You see how often they used her to post up when she's playing the 3 spot. You see her get some run at the 4 spot too. I'd assume Coleman is not a part of their 2019 plans. I do believe Allen is.

Of course, that could all change depending on who they draft next year and may also be partially dependent on whether or not Zellous returns.

To me, the use of hybrid players at the 4 spot has to be very strategic, very matchup-based and has to be done only with very specialized players. Ideally, you'd want to be able to find a 6'1" or 6'2" player with more natural 4 spot skill mixed in with the athleticism and face-up ability of a 3 spot player. So I'm not really in agreement with this conversion if you will, of Allen and Coleman into heavy post-up options. To Allen's credit, I think she's done ok with it. But the fact that we've seen Coleman score with such a lack of efficiency in the low post is enough I think to give anybody some pause regarding the NY talent eval process. We've seen Seattle and Atlanta have success with the additions of Howard and Breland in roles similar to the ones I described above. As Myrtle pointed out in one of her comments, Cambage is likely out next year and the league in general has seen some success with this hybrid post player approach. If guarding Cambage is not a concern, I think that could potentially alter your thought process to how you want to build. My question is, does Katie eschew a true C in favor of a hybrid player in the draft even if we win one of the top two draft choices? Katie Lou might someday be a hybrid player if/when she adds muscle. And we know Collier is a hybrid right now. I'd rather the post player but would any of us be surprised if it's not?


You should try out the website link that Aladyyn posted on the Mystics thread. It allows you to enter a five-player combination to see how they performed together this season. For New York, the mindboggling thing isn't the performance of various combinations. It's the fact that the most used combination (Charles, Vaughn, Coleman, Zellous, Hartley) only played together for 58 minutes or 110 possessions for the entire season. That's your most active line-up! To put things in perspective, NY averaged 78.5 possessions per game. No other combination I could find cracked 100 possessions for the season. In fact, I don't remember any others that topped 80 possessions. The link is below if you want to try it yourself. Use the menu on the left. Select "Statistics" and then "On/Off".

https://www.positiveresidual.com/shiny/wnba/

I didn't try every combination, so maybe I missed something. I assumed that the most active line-up would include Charles and Hartley, who lead the team in minutes. However, the next four leaders in minutes -- Nurse, AZB, Rodgers, and Boyd -- are not in that most active combination. Strange. It just points out how dispersed the minutes have been this season. One can certainly argue that the lack of continuity has hurt team play.


Wow! Great info there. I didn't realize that the combinations were dispersed to THAT magnitude. I knew that continuity wasn't very good but that's really eye opening. I'll take a look after my trip to Applebee's. I'll ask them to put the Liberty game on and hope that I don't get ejected from the restaurant.


So I've looked it over and it's very interesting. And aggravating. Not because of the site but because what is says about the Liberty. Here's an interesting one. You can 3-player combos. So I picked who I thought the 3 best Liberty players were. That would be Tina, Z and Nurse. In their 125 minutes together, the team offense rating was 102. The defense rating was 96.1. It makes one wonder why Z and Nurse didn't play together more often.



_________________
The poster formerly known as LibWNBAFan.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7594
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/20/18 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NY needs to clean house and get younger fast.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
NYSports56



Joined: 03 Jul 2018
Posts: 90
Location: New Jersey, USA


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/20/18 2:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We can finally look away. The train wreck is over.

I didn't really care what happened on the road trip. Anybody who mailed it in totally gets a pass from me (not that I think anybody did).

However, while I'm not holding poor performance against anyone, there were some notable bright spots. Kiah Stokes finished with three excellent games, rekindling hopes that she can contribute meaningfully if healthy. Kia Nurse finished on a high as the offense flowed through her against the Mercury (largely in part to the neutralizing effect Griner has on Tina Charles), and she delivered all over the court. And Rebecca Allen--was she always a top notch defender? I never noticed it before, but for the last few games, she smothered people, and her offense was the best it was all year too.

It really is a sad, deflating time. As a lot of people have mentioned, we don't know who's in charge and what the direction of the team is. The team is exiled from the league's best venue to the league's worst venue. The team went from ending the season on a huge winning streak to ending it on a huge losing streak. It's impossible to imagine the Liberty being an attractive option for free agents right now.

It would be heartbreaking if the Liberty left the New York metro area, but I don't think it will come to that. I think the league knows it needs the NY presence, and the fan base is there; the team could be successful in the right sized venue.

We could be going through a very dark age right now, though. Hopefully Tina's hometown leanings will make her want to stay, but even if she does, it's worth nothing that she had to rest two games ago because of back spasms. That makes two years in a row that back spasms were an issue. She is still awesome and hugely valuable, but I think we are beginning to see the transition from being in her prime to the first stage of being an aging superstar. All this is to say that it's hard to imagine this team being a draft pick away from being a contender with less of Tina or none at all.

I think the Liberty might well be a lottery team two years in a row; hopefully, they will win one of those lotteries, draft well, and get back on the right track again. I'll end with that glimmer of hope on a pretty down day.


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 232



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/20/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I was on a plane with some Wings players this morning and got to chat it up with Theresa Plaisance. Some great convo. She mentioned that the Liberty will probably move to Brooklyn next year.


J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4730



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/20/18 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
So I was on a plane with some Wings players this morning and got to chat it up with Theresa Plaisance. Some great convo. She mentioned that the Liberty will probably move to Brooklyn next year.


This would be such great news.

Even if it is not Barclay any college gym or playground in Brooklyn is still a step up.

If you can get there by subway they will come!


Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 232



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/20/18 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
So I was on a plane with some Wings players this morning and got to chat it up with Theresa Plaisance. Some great convo. She mentioned that the Liberty will probably move to Brooklyn next year.


This would be such great news.

Even if it is not Barclay any college gym or playground in Brooklyn is still a step up.

If you can get there by subway they will come!


Yea hopefully it turns out. She was really nice. Got a photo with her and Cayla George.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49492



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/20/18 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
So I was on a plane with some Wings players this morning and got to chat it up with Theresa Plaisance. Some great convo. She mentioned that the Liberty will probably move to Brooklyn next year.


How would Plaisance know this?








When will Liberty fans start the 2019 thread?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17717



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/20/18 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brooklyn would be amazing!! Besides the Barclays what other basketball arenas are there?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shmermerer1



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 232



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/20/18 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
So I was on a plane with some Wings players this morning and got to chat it up with Theresa Plaisance. Some great convo. She mentioned that the Liberty will probably move to Brooklyn next year.


How would Plaisance know this?


I dont know. I didn't ask her. But I'm sure she probably heard it from other players.





When will Liberty fans start the 2019 thread?


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5104
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/20/18 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
So I was on a plane with some Wings players this morning and got to chat it up with Theresa Plaisance. Some great convo. She mentioned that the Liberty will probably move to Brooklyn next year.


How would Plaisance know this?


Exactly.

She was probably just voicing a casual opinion, or repeating someone else's guess, while shooting the shot with a stranger.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 89 of 90

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin