RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 08/14/18 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

“It will be learning more of how to play and who to play in certain situations,” Smith admitted.

Didn’t Laimbeer show her where to find the best advice? Surprised

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/14/18 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lol at decent...going 7-23 is not decent...i don't care many games were close we still lost. she was clueless on how to handle the team all season long. very sad season

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/14/18 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No coach is ever going to say "Y'know I was garbage this year. The main thing this team needs to get better is to find a decent coach".

PostPosted: 08/14/18 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps she'll do better if the starters can stay on the floor. Prince has missed half the season, Coleman nearly that much, and Zellous about a third. Tina Charles is the only player who's started every game and will be the only Lib with 30 starts for the season. That's a big part of why Seattle is leading the league. They have four players with 30+ starts and will likely have five by season end.

PostPosted: 08/14/18 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smith needs to clean house. Add in the #4 & #14 picks, add in some rookies that got cut this season and let go of Vaughn, Coleman, Rodgers or Prince and Allen.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/14/18 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Smith needs to clean house. Add in the #4 & #14 picks, add in some rookies that got cut this season and let go of Vaughn, Coleman, Rodgers or Prince and Allen.

they should try to load up on some picks if they can, this will be another good draft.

i'm hoping Dallas lose tonight and drop out of the playoffs. Friday will be the game to watch Libs fans Aces Vs Wings. Wings lose i think we get that 3rd spot in the draft. correct me if im wrong

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/14/18 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

another thing, i really like Betnijah Laney watching her this year she was good off the bench for the Sun.

that would be a good pickup in the offseason to fill in that SF spot if she's a free agent i don't know her contract situation

NYSports56

PostPosted: 08/14/18 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Decent, huh? I guess on the court, she hasn't had to watch the commercial she helped make in the pre-season several times each game. You know, the one where she says "We have the players." Also stuff about how they'll be flying around the court and having a lot of fun.

I was told there would be fun. I'm still being told like 4 times a game. This might be the least fun I have ever had rooting for a sports team.

If Katie could be that emphatic about how strong the roster was at the start of the season, I can't see how she could label coaching the team to the worst record in franchise history as a "decent job." Yes, there were a few injuries, but the team's only superstar was healthy all season long.

This team was not mentally prepared to play for the majority of the season. Since they were fine on that issue when Laimbeer was coach, a lot of that has to be on Katie.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/14/18 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
tfan wrote:
What’s behind the Liberty’s losing season?

Quote:
Smith said following the game against Atlanta on Sunday she feels comfortable calling the job she did this year “decent.” She spoke of practice, preparation and game-planning as three areas she definitely had no problem handling.

Next year?

“It will be learning more of how to play and who to play in certain situations,” Smith admitted.

How hard is deciding who to play? All she has to do lurk around here for a few weeks and her decision making will improve 100%.

shontay33

PostPosted: 08/14/18 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
tfan wrote:
What’s behind the Liberty’s losing season?

Quote:
Smith said following the game against Atlanta on Sunday she feels comfortable calling the job she did this year “decent.” She spoke of practice, preparation and game-planning as three areas she definitely had no problem handling.

Next year?

I always give a first year coach the benefit of the doubt. Even if they are taking over for the coach that they worked for as an assistant.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/14/18 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
No coach is ever going to say "Y'know I was garbage this year. The main thing this team needs to get better is to find a decent coach".

How about "I learned a lot this season, and looking back, I could have done a much better job in certain situations. I'm very excited to apply what I've learned next year, and I expect both the team and myself to improve over this season."

If you can say "decent" with a straight face at 7-23 after winning 22 (or whatever) the year before, you're deluding yourself and presuming whoever's listening has an IQ near room temperature.

PostPosted: 08/14/18 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or "There was plenty of blame to go around, but mainly my players suck, no one wants play in this shithole arena, and I probably should have played Nurse, Zahui more and never picked up Coleman."

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/14/18 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

How about "I learned a lot this season, and looking back, I could have done a much better job in certain situations. I'm very excited to apply what I've learned next year, and I expect both the team and myself to improve over this season."

If you can say "decent" with a straight face at 7-23 after winning 22 (or whatever) the year before, you're deluding yourself and presuming whoever's listening has an IQ near room temperature.

I think that's basically the right approach. Admit you made mistakes, say you learned from them, express determination to do much better next season. What Smith said sounded clueless, complacent or dishonest.

PostPosted: 08/15/18 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty should make a move for O.Sims this offseason.I don't think Sims is happy with the way this season has played out.Nor do I believe she's content with being the 4th/5th option while being pulled in and out of the starting lineup.Parker and Gray facilitating 90% of the Sparks offense has really limited Sims effectiveness on the offensive side of the ball.I don't believe Sims thought that taking a pay cut also meant accepting a lesser role.

First 5 gm of the season Sims avg 16.8p,3.0a on 50% fg...LA had a 4-1 record.
First 10 gms Sims avg 13.0p,3.3a on 43% fg...LA had a 8-2 record.
Last 13 gms of 2017 Sims avg 15.5p,5.1a on 48%...LA had an 11-2 record.
Sims also had a very good final series minus game 5...First 4 gms-14.5p/4a/43%.

Sims wouldn't be the perfect fit,but she would give the liberty another offensive threat,playmaker,defender,and back up point guard...Persuading Sims to move from Sunny L.A to the East Coast and a 2500 seat arena will be a tough task...The lure of being a guaranteed starter and 2nd/3rd option might be enough.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/15/18 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sims is only going to be a restricted free agent at the end of the season, as she's only been in the league for five years. Another reason why that contract was so absurd.

PostPosted: 08/15/18 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
The Liberty should make a move for O.Sims this offseason.I don't think Sims is happy with the way this season has played out.

Nothing like a malcontent to help improve that team culture.

zune69 wrote:
Nor do I believe she's content with being the 4th/5th option while being pulled in and out of the starting lineup.

Cappie’s gone, so what’s the problem? See above.

zune69 wrote:
Parker and Gray facilitating 90% of the Sparks offense has really limited Sims effectiveness on the offensive side of the ball.

Has anybody ever really thought of Sims as a top notch facilitator? She played off the ball her final years(?) at Baylor.

zune69 wrote:
I don't believe Sims thought that taking a pay cut also meant accepting a lesser role.

I have a feeling they found some kind of workaround for that rumored salary, like giving her most of the that no-overseas bonus. $65K + $50K = $115K
Or maybe that paper bag method I think you mentioned earlier.

zune69 wrote:
First 5 gm of the season Sims avg 16.8p,3.0a on 50% fg...LA had a 4-1 record.
First 10 gms Sims avg 13.0p,3.3a on 43% fg...LA had a 8-2 record.
Last 13 gms of 2017 Sims avg 15.5p,5.1a on 48%...LA had an 11-2 record.
Sims also had a very good final series minus game 5...First 4 gms-14.5p/4a/43%.

Haven’t looked at the stats, but it seems Carson and Williams have stepped up more than they did last year. Something’s gotta give.

zune69 wrote:
Sims wouldn't be the perfect fit,but she would give the liberty another offensive threat,playmaker,defender,and back up point guard

She has the potential to be another Prince. Smile

zune69 wrote:
Persuading Sims to move from Sunny L.A to the East Coast and a 2500 seat arena will be a tough task...The lure of being a guaranteed starter and 2nd/3rd option might be enough.

Liberty giving guarantees? Guarantees are only as good as the organization giving them out.

Reeve might be dipping into desperation mode next year. Could she be interested in me-baller Sims? I could see it, but it would be awkward to bring in the Whalen-hater just after setting Whalen to the curb.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/15/18 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Sims is only going to be a restricted free agent at the end of the season, as she's only been in the league for five years. Another reason why that contract was so absurd.

Damn,I forget about that...This is Sims' 5th year, not 6th...That rule needs to be changed in the new collective bargaining agreement...A Player is automatically a URF after they sign a 2nd contract(unless it's agreed upon by the player/team)

Maybe LA/NY can work out a sign/trade.....Sims/Lavender for 2020 1st round pick...NY would be taking a risk...but I don't see them missing the playoffs in 2019 with this squad:

G-Boyd
G-Sims
C-Lavender
F-Charles
F-Nurse
6-Zahui B
7-Stokes
8-KLS/Collier/Durr
9-L.Allen/Chong-must sign

If NY drafts KLS she would start at SF

New york could also trade Zahui b or Stokes for Copper.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/15/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Damn, I forget about that...This is Sims' 5th year, not 6th...That rule needs to be changed in the new collective bargaining agreement...A Player is automatically a URF after they sign a 2nd contract(unless it's agreed upon by the player/team)

I don’t think anything extreme is gonna happen. Maybe lose a year off the rookie contract, or drop RFA from 2 yrs to 1 yr, or maybe drop core from 4 yrs to 2 yrs.

zune69 wrote:
New York could also trade Zahui b or Stokes for Copper.

No fans in Chicago or NY have shown any kind consistent support for Zahui. I think it’s time she returned to the American version of her roots. Minnesota has three upper second round picks to help facilitate this move. It’s not a bad draft for upper second round picks. Maybe SpaceJunkie will be calling Reeve a genius again if something good comes out of those picks. Surprised

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/15/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I think that's basically the right approach. Admit you made mistakes, say you learned from them, express determination to do much better next season. What Smith said sounded clueless, complacent or dishonest.

Agreed vehemently and that's even with me willing to give Smith SOME benefit of the doubt. At one point the Libs were in that 12-12 area LY and Z went down. It looked like she was hurt badly (she wasn't) and I said right then and there on the board that if she's out the season is over because we cannot win without her. They were 7-15 up until the game she got hurt then 0-9 without her. Which is to point out just how much they struggle to create offense without their only multifacted perimeter player.

That being said, to not own what's happened this year...and to do things like say the team is undisciplined is just the continuing of the epic fail. They were disciplined enough to win 22 last year without Boyd and Nurse. Now we see the same repetitive mistakes, the same players being allowed to shoot even when they're on fire (Hi Renee) and there's no ownership from the coach? How many times in the last four games has Boyd repeated the same types of turnovers due to not having the spacing to make the pass? Why is that not being corrected? She's had over 20 TOs in the last 4 games, of the mostly unforced variety. At some point the coach is even more responsible than the player. Even Laimbeer would own this. But if he were the coach the team wouldn't be struggling at this magnitude. What I see is that as teams respond to what the Libs are doing in terms of scouting, the Liberty have very limited counter punches. That's flat on the coach.

Seeing that promo where Katie talks about all the talent we have and how we're going to be flying around and that this league is tough and every team is stacked is also beyond annoying. It's as if I have an abscess on my knee and someone is taking a half a cup of salt and pouring it right in there.

PostPosted: 08/15/18 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Nothing like a malcontent to help improve that team culture.

I don't believe Sims is a Malcontent,just not all that thrilled with her current role.

Shades wrote:
Has anybody ever really thought of Sims as a top notch facilitator? She played off the ball her final years(?) at Baylor.

Sims is not an elite facilitator...but she's a very good scorer and playmaker when given the opportunity.Sims doesn't need to be the primary ball handler..but a bigger role in the offense would help the Sparks...LA has scored 80+ points only 2 times in the last 15 gms after hitting that mark 8 out of the first 17 games......LA is 7-8 over their last 15 games.

Shades wrote:
Haven’t looked at the stats, but it seems Carson and Williams have stepped up more than they did last year. Something’s gotta give.

It's more than just Carson and Williams...Sims is getting enough playing time.It's just that she's not as involved on offense.To often I see Sims standing on the far side of the court while Parker and Gray initiate,create,and execute the offense.Sims' role has greatly diminished from where it was a season ago.....I think LA needs to do a better job of integrating Sims into the offense.

Shades wrote:
Reeve might be dipping into desperation mode next year. Could she be interested in me-baller Sims? I could see it, but it would be awkward to bring in the Whalen-hater just after setting Whalen to the curb.

Signing Sims after her contract expires would be a smart move on the part of Reeve....Maybe Minny/LA can work out a trade.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/15/18 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Decent? This was the worst season in Liberty history. Terrible is more like it. Historic even.

The team has its worst-ever record in franchise history, is on a 10-game losing streak, and is unlikely to win another game this season. A DECENT job??? What would qualify as worse than a decent job? If the Liberty were 1-30 and on the way to a 1-33 season?

Ugh.

PostPosted: 08/15/18 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Seeing that promo where Katie talks about all the talent we have and how we're going to be flying around and that this league is tough and every team is stacked is also beyond annoying. It's as if I have an abscess on my knee and someone is taking a half a cup of salt and pouring it right in there.

Laughing Laughing

Yeah, I've gotten to the point where I turn down the sound or leave the room every time that promo comes on. For me, it's just sooooooooooo embarrassing. Embarassed

PostPosted: 08/15/18 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Signing Sims after her contract expires would be a smart move on the part of Reeve....Maybe Minny/LA can work out a trade.

You must be Sims’ agent, because you were looking to trade her when she was on Dallas, and now you’re concerned about her being on the Sparks. You might be every player’s agent. Wink

Sims isn’t really my cup of tea, so I hope Reeve avoids this unless it’s like a last resort type of thing. I definitely don’t want Reeve trading another first round pick, and I doubt the Sparks will want to “help” the Lynx for a second round pick. Sparks and the Lynx never do much negotiating.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/15/18 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

You must be Sims’ agent, because you were looking to trade her when she was on Dallas, and now you’re concerned about her being on the Sparks. You might be every player’s agent. Wink

Sims isn’t really my cup of tea, so I hope Reeve avoids this unless it’s like a last resort type of thing. I definitely don’t want Reeve trading another first round pick, and I doubt the Sparks will want to “help” the Lynx for a second round pick. Sparks and the Lynx never do much negotiating.

I'd throw money at her and make the Sparks match. Eat up LA's cap space.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/15/18 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I'd throw money at her and make the Sparks match. Eat up LA's cap space.

We’ll let ATL make that sacrifice since you got that young money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 87 of 90

Jump to: