Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/10/18 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
There must be plenty of pressure on Ed Cohen and Julianne Viani to offer a hilariously positive spin on a miserable season.

I am not aware of any local broadcast teams that don’t give a positive spin on the home team. That is what the viewers want, in addition to what the owners want.

I can only comment about New York because these are the only broadcasters I watch regularly. There are great differences in the degree to which our local broadcasters are "homers." As a longtime Mets' fan, I can tell you that Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez, and Ron Darling can be very blunt in discussing the team's weaknesses and failures. Moreover, during a recent, sickening game in which the Mets were being humiliated, these three stopped describing the action and simply read (obviously in protest) from the Mets' media guide for at least half an inning.

As for "what the viewers want," again I can only speak about New York. Yes, there are many fans who only want a "positive spin" on the home team. But there are also many New York fans who want the kind of honest, sometimes critical broadcasting that Cohen, Hernandez, and Darling have consistently provided for many years.

Dolanworld is infamous here for clamping down on its broadcasters, just as Hideous Lord Jimmy has his p.r. flacks carefully watching any statement made to the media by coaches or any other MSG employee. I've heard about this directly (off the record) from one of our town's most prominent basketball writers.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It should be noted that the Liberty will likely have the #14 pick. From what I see at the moment, that should yield a player with decent offensive potential. Marina Mabrey isn't the most athletic player around, but she's tough, smart, and she can shoot. Paris Kea is a really smooth-looking PG. Right now she's flying under the radar because of all the problems at NC, but that may change by draft day. If Kea is available, she can give you a true PG with better playmaking ability than Hartley and better shooting ability than Boyd. And then there's Cierra Dillard of Buffalo. If you're looking for an Ogumbowale-type player at a cheaper price, I think Dillard is a good roll of the dice. The numbers show she is an inconsistent shooter, but we saw that she really stepped up during the tournament. Dillard also threw a couple of eye-popping long bounce passes that would make Shoni Schimmel proud. If the tournament was any indication, Dillard could be this year's mid-major steal.

On a side note, what do people think of Sophie Cunningham? Her shooting numbers this past season were really impressive: 54.2% FG and 45.7% 3Pt on good volume (69-151). For her career, she's 50.8/40.4. Cunningham isn't the smoothest athlete in the world, but people shouldn't confuse awkward with slow or unathletic. I haven't focused on her yet, so I honestly don't know. What I do know is that Cunningham is tough and has plenty of swagger. Some people on this board even accuse her of being dirty. Sophie certainly isn't afraid to mix it up. From what I've seen, she's pretty good in the low post for someone who is essentially a small forward. Is Cunningham someone who should be considered at #4? The Liberty need an SF and are overcrowded at SG. Right now, the discussion is about taking Durr and converting her to SF or pushing Nurse up to SF or taking Collier who would convert from PF to SF. Instead of all that converting or playing people out of position, it would be easier to draft a real SF if one is available.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
It should be noted that the Liberty will likely have the #14 pick. From what I see at the moment, that should yield a player with decent offensive potential. Marina Mabrey isn't the most athletic player around, but she's tough, smart, and she can shoot. Paris Kea is a really smooth-looking PG. Right now she's flying under the radar because of all the problems at NC, but that may change by draft day. If Kea is available, she can give you a true PG with better playmaking ability than Hartley and better shooting ability than Boyd. And then there's Cierra Dillard of Buffalo. If you're looking for an Ogumbowale-type player at a cheaper price, I think Dillard is a good roll of the dice. The numbers show she is an inconsistent shooter, but we saw that she really stepped up during the tournament. Dillard also threw a couple of eye-popping long bounce passes that would make Shoni Schimmel proud. If the tournament was any indication, Dillard could be this year's mid-major steal.

On a side note, what do people think of Sophie Cunningham? Her shooting numbers this past season were really impressive: 54.2% FG and 45.7% 3Pt on good volume (69-151). For her career, she's 50.8/40.4. Cunningham isn't the smoothest athlete in the world, but people shouldn't confuse awkward with slow or unathletic. I haven't focused on her yet, so I honestly don't know. What I do know is that Cunningham is tough and has plenty of swagger. Some people on this board even accuse her of being dirty. Sophie certainly isn't afraid to mix it up. From what I've seen, she's pretty good in the low post for someone who is essentially a small forward. Is Cunningham someone who should be considered at #4? The Liberty need an SF and are overcrowded at SG. Right now, the discussion is about taking Durr and converting her to SF or pushing Nurse up to SF or taking Collier who would convert from PF to SF. Instead of all that converting or playing people out of position, it would be easier to draft a real SF if one is available.

I love Mabrey. If she’s there at 14 it’s a no-brainer in my mind.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
tfan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
There must be plenty of pressure on Ed Cohen and Julianne Viani to offer a hilariously positive spin on a miserable season.

I am not aware of any local broadcast teams that don’t give a positive spin on the home team. That is what the viewers want, in addition to what the owners want.

I can only comment about New York because these are the only broadcasters I watch regularly. There are great differences in the degree to which our local broadcasters are "homers." As a longtime Mets' fan, I can tell you that Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez, and Ron Darling can be very blunt in discussing the team's weaknesses and failures. Moreover, during a recent, sickening game in which the Mets were being humiliated, these three stopped describing the action and simply read (obviously in protest) from the Mets' media guide for at least half an inning.

As for "what the viewers want," again I can only speak about New York. Yes, there are many fans who only want a "positive spin" on the home team. But there are also many New York fans who want the kind of honest, sometimes critical broadcasting that Cohen, Hernandez, and Darling have consistently provided for many years.

Dolanworld is infamous here for clamping down on its broadcasters, just as Hideous Lord Jimmy has his p.r. flacks carefully watching any statement made to the media by coaches or any other MSG employee. I've heard about this directly (off the record) from one of our town's most prominent basketball writers.

Being a homer and being honest aren't mutually exclusive. Phil Rizzuto used to be the biggest homer around, always referring to the Yankees as "we" or "us" and talking about food because he thought it gave the Yankees good luck. However, Phil was always very honest about what was happening on the field. If the umpire made a bad call in favor the Yankees, he would say it was a bad call. I think that was the traditional way of broadcasting in New York. Nothing wrong with favoring your team, but be honest. That stopped in a big way when Dolan fired Marv Albert for saying negative things about the Knicks. Albert was an icon in this city. He used to do both Knicks and Ranger radio broadcasts back when there were hardly any games on TV. Marv was once our lifeline to both teams. Firing him was equivalent to expelling a hall of fame player from two different sports out of your organization.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hear a lot of announcers on NBA-TV and MLB-TV, plus some radio guys on Sirius ...

The range of homerism is broad, as is the range of quality, but a key is whether the broadcasters are employed by the team or the radio/TV station. If they are team employees, and their paycheck comes from the owner, then it's pretty obvious what to expect.

Still, some announcers can be more direct, or make it clear the team isn't playing well without ripping them.

Even when watching the Giants or Warriors, I much prefer balanced announcing, and I feel we're lucky in the Bay Area (except for Ray Fosse with the A's) -- but that could be homerism too.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Yeah,the Liberty will be better next season,but making the playoffs won't be a guarantee….Chicago,LV,Dallas,Minnesota,and Phoenix are all likely to add a quality draft pick,and sign/trade for a player.

True, but adding a good player and being able to fully utilize that player are two different things. As we've seen, teams like Dallas, Chicago, and Connecticut have players on their bench who in the real world would be described as under-employed.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In general, I agree that we've got it better than most local telecasts. Cohen and Viani are pretty much what you want for a local broadcast. Yes, they speak from a pro-Liberty perspective, but when actually talking about the action on the floor, they are very fair; more than any opposing telecast I have watched this year. Viani's opinion about foul calls is about as neutral as you could possibly expect from a local color commentator.

I just found Cohen's comment about no one wanting to play the Liberty to be a jarring experience, it was like being teleported to an alternate reality. Indeed, I kept blinking and looking at the TV screen to see if Cohen had grown a beard.

Cohen could have simply gushed about how well Amanda has played recently. He could have said a lot of things that look at the cup as 1% full rather than 99% empty. However "no one wants to play the Liberty" is so over the top that I thought it should be mentioned, more for amusement than anything else.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/10/18 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the NY broadcast team as well. I like all the neutral teams pretty well.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/10/18 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
tfan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Being a homer and being honest aren't mutually exclusive. Phil Rizzuto used to be the biggest homer around, always referring to the Yankees as "we" or "us" and talking about food because he thought it gave the Yankees good luck. However, Phil was always very honest about what was happening on the field. If the umpire made a bad call in favor the Yankees, he would say it was a bad call. I think that was the traditional way of broadcasting in New York. Nothing wrong with favoring your team, but be honest. That stopped in a big way when Dolan fired Marv Albert for saying negative things about the Knicks. Albert was an icon in this city. He used to do both Knicks and Ranger radio broadcasts back when there were hardly any games on TV. Marv was once our lifeline to both teams. Firing him was equivalent to expelling a hall of fame player from two different sports out of your organization.

I hadn't wanted to go into detail, but the firing of Marv Albert was an astonishingly ugly move from Hideous Lord Jimmy. He was indeed a "lifeline" for fans of both the Knicks and Rangers. Anyone working on sports for MSG after Albert was fired had to--and today has to--know that if Dolan could fire Marv Albert for his "offenses" he'd fire any of them in a second.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 08/10/18 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/10/18 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WFAN host Maggie Gray calls Hideous Lord Jimmy a "hypocrite" and "a vile piece of trash" for his pretended #MeToo concern despite his role in the sexual harassment scandal at Madison Square Garden involving Jimmy's BFF Isiah Thomas.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/10/maggie-gray-goes-scorched-earth-on-vile-piece-of-trash-james-dolan/

PostPosted: 08/10/18 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
tfan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

I hadn't wanted to go into detail, but the firing of Marv Albert was an astonishingly ugly move from Hideous Lord Jimmy. He was indeed a "lifeline" for fans of both the Knicks and Rangers. Anyone working on sports for MSG after Albert was fired had to--and today has to--know that if Dolan could fire Marv Albert for his "offenses" he'd fire any of them in a second.

Marv Albert was charged with “forcible sodomy” on a woman in a hotel room who says that after an argument he bit her to force her to perform oral sex. Another woman testified at the trial that he called her to his hotel room allegedly needing help sending a fax, and he greeted her wearing panties and a garter belt. She also testified that he bit her and tried to force her to perform oral sex. Prosecutors later dropped that charge and Albert plead guilty to assault and battery on the woman. You have something about sexual harassment in your signature and you put offense in quotes with regard to Albert?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/10/18 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
tfan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Marv Albert was charged with “forcible sodomy” on a woman in a hotel room who says that after an argument he bit her to force her to perform oral sex. Another woman testified at the trial that he called her to his hotel room allegedly needing help sending a fax, and he greeted her wearing panties and a garter belt. She also testified that he bit her and tried to force her to perform oral sex. Prosecutors later dropped that charge and Albert plead guilty to assault and battery on the woman. You have something about sexual harassment in your signature and you put offense in quotes with regard to Albert?

Thank you for bringing up Marv Albert's sexual misconduct. i should have done so. He's no hero of mine, no more than Isiah Thomas, Harvey Weinstein, etc.

Marv Albert's scandal hit the headlines in 1997. His trial took place that same year. I'm having trouble finding whether he resigned from his MSG post in 1997 or was fired. I believe he resigned but that might be wrong. He was rehired by Dolan in 1998 to be the Knicks' radio play-by-play broadcaster. He was fired in 2004 not for his sexual misconduct but--according to Albert and in the view of many-- because he was critical of the team. Those were the "offenses" I was speaking of earlier, but I definitely should have been more clear.

Without question, the firing of Marv Albert in 2004 for speaking critically of the Knicks has had a chilling effect ever since on MSG broadcasters and other employees of Dolanworld.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 08/10/18 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/10/18 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

i like Mabrey also but if we gonna get a guard from Notre dame, i perfer Ogumbowale lol

and again keep an eye on Chloe Jackson, impressive talented player i watched last year reminded me of lil bit of Courtney Williams's game. very smooth game she will be playing at Baylor this fall with Brown.

Laska(USF) could be available at 14 also. those 2 i will be watching closely

Cunningham she was one of my fav's last year aslo she gave South Carolina fits with her toughness, she would fit in pefect right in that SF spot, i dont think Katie would use her at the PF spot unless she goes small which you know what i wouldn't be surprised lol Rolling Eyes

i went back to listen to some dishin & swishin podcasts and i found one with Katie Smith on there really liking Katie Lou better then Collier, Nurse, and Gabby Williams. so don't be surprise we will see Miss Samuelson in a Liberty Uniform next year if Katie Smith is still around lol

check it out
https://dishnswish.libsyn.com/dishin-swishin-032317-podcast-a-new-roundtable-breaks-down-the-regionals

Last edited by LibFan25 on 08/10/18 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
NYSports56

PostPosted: 08/10/18 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marv's unacceptable behavior aside, he is probably the best play by play man in broadcasting history. The Knick broadcast team of Marv and John Andariese was the best basketball announcing team I have ever watched. They had amazing chemistry: Andariese's pleasant and gentle demeanor was the perfect foil for Marv's trademark barbs. Johnny Hoops taught me much of what I know about basketball and elevated my appreciation of the sport; he just had a way of expressing things that conveyed so many subtle aspects to me.

Talk about being fired for nonsense; Anderiese was let go because he violated rules about sharing his comps with other people. To me, they were looking for an excuse to force him out so they could give the job to Walt Frazier. We traded insightful basketball analysis for Moving and Grooving. Swooping and Hooping. Astounding and Rebounding. Negating Educating.

Don't get me wrong, Frazier's a lot of fun, and he brings a lot of worthwhile thoughts to the table. There's only one Johnny Hoops though. Miss him.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/10/18 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Marv's unacceptable behavior aside, he is probably the best play by play man in broadcasting history. The Knick broadcast team of Marv and John Andariese was the best basketball announcing team I have ever watched. They had amazing chemistry: Andariese's pleasant and gentle demeanor was the perfect foil for Marv's trademark barbs. Johnny Hoops taught me much of what I know about basketball and elevated my appreciation of the sport; he just had a way of expressing things that conveyed so many subtle aspects to me.

Talk about being fired for nonsense; Anderiese was let go because he violated rules about sharing his comps with other people. To me, they were looking for an excuse to force him out so they could give the job to Walt Frazier. We traded insightful basketball analysis for Moving and Grooving. Swooping and Hooping. Astounding and Rebounding. Negating Educating.

Don't get me wrong, Frazier's a lot of fun, and he brings a lot of worthwhile thoughts to the table. There's only one Johnny Hoops though. Miss him.

I completely agree with all of this. Johnny Hoops was a gem.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, and now I'll comment on Marv's darker side:

Of all the ways to force someone to perform oral sex, it's hard to think of one more stupid and ill-advised than biting them. Shocked

toad455

PostPosted: 08/10/18 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At #4 it should be either Samuelson or Durr. Drafting Durr slides Nurse over to SF. We take the best available post at #14(Anigwe or Thome). Maybe Zellous returns. Gone: Coleman, Allen, Vaughn plus one of Rodgers or Prince.

PG: Boyd/free agent(L. Allen? M. William?).
SG: Nurse/Hartley/Rodgers or Prince
SF: Zellous/#4 pick
PF: Charles/Raincock
C: Zahui B/#14 pick/Stokes

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 08/10/18 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless Ionescu comes out, I don't think Samuelson will be there at #4. I also don't think Anigwe will be there at #14. If so, yes I would consider taking her. However, you can probably get a more mature version of a similar player (Parker, Harrison, maybe Alexander) in free agency. Then you can use the #14 on something else. I've also thought about Thome, but I recently watched some highlight clips and she really looked slow running up the court. Hallie has some good moves down low, but so does Zahui B. Amanda put up much better numbers in the Big 10 than Thome, so I'm skeptical.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
WFAN host Maggie Gray calls Hideous Lord Jimmy a "hypocrite" and "a vile piece of trash" for his pretended #MeToo concern despite his role in the sexual harassment scandal at Madison Square Garden involving Jimmy's BFF Isiah Thomas.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/10/maggie-gray-goes-scorched-earth-on-vile-piece-of-trash-james-dolan/

Damn...

Yeah, she probably is going to find herself banned by Joffrey...errr Jimmy Dolan.
toad455

PostPosted: 08/10/18 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the lottery ends up as follows with their picks(no Ionescu). Ezi's going to be the wrench in the 2019 draft similar to Stevens in the 2018 draft. I think she could be a lottery pick.

#1. Indiana - T. McCowan
#2. Las Vegas - K. Brown
#3. Chicago - E. Magbegor
#4. New York - K. Samuelson
-----------------------------------
#5. Dallas - A. Durr
#6. Phoenix - N. Collier

other likely first rounders: J. Shepard, A. Ogunbowale, M. Gustafson, K. Laksa, B. Turner, S. Cunningham & M. Moore. I think Anigwe falls to the second round and to the Liberty at #14.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/10/18 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the little I've seen of Magbegor so far I'd be surprised if she went anywhere near that high. Talent there, but raw, and not the dominant physical specimen of a Cambage or glaring skills of a Jackson. She'll need to blow up at the Worlds and in the WNBL for anyone to take her in the lottery.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Magbegor in 20 WNBL games last season:

6.60 ppg
3.75 rpg
0.35 apg
0.75 spg
1.15 bpg

Unfortunately, there is no information for minutes played.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah it's annoying the way the WNBL don't track minutes in the stats.
Ezi's were limited last season because she had 2 experienced players in Bass & Scherf ahead of her in the depth chart.
I don't know that she's a first rounder in a strong draft. Maybe I'm overly critical ... she's still very young of course (just about to turn 19), but her size and skill set at the moment make her a fairly limited player.
To be fair, until now she has never had a reason to expand her game. Now that she is up against pros she does, so this coming WNBL season there will be a lot of eyes on her.
She's playing for Melbourne this season - which hopefully means more televised games - though they have a strong roster again so she'll have to earn her minutes.

PostPosted: 08/11/18 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Anigwe plays herself out of the 2nd round but I would be OK with and think this could

1. Indy Brown 2. LV McCowan 3. Chi KLS 4. NY Durr 5. Dallas Ogunbowale 6. Conn Collier 7. PX Magbegor 8. Minn Turner 9. LA Cunningham 10. Atl M. Moore 11. Was Laska 12. Sea Sheppard 13. PX? Gustafason 14. NY Anigwe

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/11/18 2:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I think Anigwe plays herself out of the 2nd round but I would be OK with and think this could

1. Indy Brown 2. LV McCowan 3. Chi KLS 4. NY Durr 5. Dallas Ogunbowale 6. Conn Collier 7. PX Magbegor 8. Minn Turner 9. LA Cunningham 10. Atl M. Moore 11. Was Laska 12. Sea Sheppard 13. PX? Gustafason 14. NY Anigwe

A few observations:

1) Turner is a wild card because she's coming off a major injury. The other thing to remember about Brianna is that she's skinny. USA Basketball has Turner listed at 165 lbs. She's more of a Natasha Howard type than a true center, but Turner doesn't have anything near Howard's shooting range. I suppose resembling Howard might actually work for Minnesota if you think in terms of recent history. Smile

2) Laksa has this great reputation as a shooter, but for her career she has a very mediocre 40.0 FG%. I suppose you could justify it somewhat because she shoots so many 3s and her 3Pt pct is a solid 38.2% on high volume. Still, why is Laksa better than Karlie Samuelson who is the same size, shot 45%/44.3% for her career, was a much better defender, played in a better conference, but still went undrafted? Granted Laksa is a first option and shoots more, but when you look at athletic ability and skill set, I'm not seeing the superiority.

3) Admittedly I haven't watched Gustafson much, but the little I've seen she's doing it with smoke and mirrors.Laughing Megan is 6-3, not athletic as far as I can tell, and isn't especially strong. She puts up huge numbers by skillfully banking shots off the glass and getting putbacks off rebounds that she somehow grabs between defenders. I don't know how she does it. I'm not sure she does either because I saw an interview with Gustafson where she expressed surprise at her success. What I do know is that the two best WCBB players I ever saw at using the glass to create shooting angles were Amber Holt and Jayne Appel. Somehow, that skill never translated at the next level. I don't know why since angles and geometry should be the same at any level, but that skill disappeared in the WNBA. Consequently, I'm skeptical of Gustafson -- although I'll withhold judgment until I see her more.

4) I think people need to remember the two point guards out there -- Kenisha Bell and Paris Kea. I know there's not necessarily a great demand for PGs, but those two are pretty good. Bell from Minnesota might especially appeal to the Lynx should Whalen retire.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 85 of 90

Jump to: