Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 08/09/18 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Kia Nurse will be coming down under this (Aussie) summer:
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/canberra-capitals-sign-wnba-star-kia-nurse-20180809-p4zwea.html

Hmm, I wonder what Tolo told Nurse -- that Vegemite is better than money? Smile

PostPosted: 08/09/18 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/canberra-capitals-sign-wnba-star-kia-nurse-20180809-p4zwea.html

Vegemite is not even better than vomit. I'm guessing that maybe our short season was part of the appeal after all the basketball she has played recently.

PostPosted: 08/09/18 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Vegemite is not even better than vomit. I'm guessing that maybe our short season was part of the appeal after all the basketball she has played recently.

Plus the natives speak English (sort of) and she gets to stay in the commonwealth

PostPosted: 08/09/18 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adam Silver & Lisa Borders discuss the future of the New York Liberty

https://elitesportsny.com/2018/08/09/exclusive-adam-silver-lisa-borders-discuss-the-future-of-the-new-york-liberty/

Quote:
Borders and Silver, however, brushed off concerns about the smaller arena. Both Duke graduates, each compared the facility to their alma mater’s famed basketball cathedral, Cameron Indoor Stadium.

“The fans are Liberty fans regardless of where they play,” said Borders, remarking about the loud, packed house. “I graduated from Duke University and we play at this little place called Cameron Indoor Stadium.“ She later added, “As long as the fans are happy and seeing a terrific product on the floor, that works for me.”

“I think there’s a great future for the Liberty and the WNBA,” Silver concurred. “I went to Duke University, and this reminds of a game at Cameron. You never really hear people say at Duke that the arena’s not big enough.”

PostPosted: 08/09/18 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like the Liberty are going to be at Westchester long term.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
sigur3

PostPosted: 08/09/18 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"(The longevity) says that Mr. Dolan is an awesome owner,” Borders said. “He committed early and that commitment has endured for 22 years. The Liberty as a team have endured. We have different players during those 22 years but the athleticism, the women’s empowerment endures throughout the entire time.”

Are you FUCKING kidding me

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/09/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Adam Silver & Lisa Borders discuss the future of the New York Liberty

https://elitesportsny.com/2018/08/09/exclusive-adam-silver-lisa-borders-discuss-the-future-of-the-new-york-liberty/

Quote:
Borders and Silver, however, brushed off concerns about the smaller arena. Both Duke graduates, each compared the facility to their alma mater’s famed basketball cathedral, Cameron Indoor Stadium.

“The fans are Liberty fans regardless of where they play,” said Borders, remarking about the loud, packed house. “I graduated from Duke University and we play at this little place called Cameron Indoor Stadium.“ She later added, “As long as the fans are happy and seeing a terrific product on the floor, that works for me.”

“I think there’s a great future for the Liberty and the WNBA,” Silver concurred. “I went to Duke University, and this reminds of a game at Cameron. You never really hear people say at Duke that the arena’s not big enough.”

Cameron holds 9.314 people for basketball. You'd need about four Westchester County Centers in its current state to manage that (and over two at the capacity they claim it can be converted into). What a facile comparison.

PostPosted: 08/09/18 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Little do Liberty fans realize they are actually Duke students watching basketball games at Duke University

Randy

PostPosted: 08/09/18 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Sounds like the Liberty are going to be at Westchester long term.

That's the way I read it. Perhaps the Faustian bargain they made was the Liberty stay in business as long as it takes to find a new owner but have to play at Cameron Stadium North (WCC).

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/09/18 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Quote:
"(The longevity) says that Mr. Dolan is an awesome owner,” Borders said. “He committed early and that commitment has endured for 22 years. The Liberty as a team have endured. We have different players during those 22 years but the athleticism, the women’s empowerment endures throughout the entire time.”

Are you FUCKING kidding me

Given his longevity, if Hideous Lord Jimmy were to continue as owner of the Liberty, it would be "awesome" for Isiah Thomas and any other male employees of Dolan who have or intend to sexually harass female employees.

Oh, and is sexual harassment of women right in the offices of Madison Square Garden an example of "women's empowerment"?

What a sickening statement by Lisa Borders.

PostPosted: 08/09/18 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although some of what's below may not be practical or possible, here's my ideal vision for 2019:

Starting lineup: Boyd, Nurse, Zellous (I realize she may leave), Charles, and Stokes.

Bench: Zahui B, Hartley, Raincock-Ekunwe (I realize she may not return), our 1st round draft choice, and three others.

Gone: Prince, Rodgers, Vaughn, Coleman, and Allen.

And I'd like to see an experienced GM and a new head coach.

PostPosted: 08/09/18 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look at possible RFAs, Boyd and Zahui B are two we should bring back. But maybe the Liberty can throw money at Cheyenne Parker, Isabelle Harrison or Dearica Hamby?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/09/18 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Silver concurred. “I went to Duke University, and this reminds of a game at Cameron. You never really hear people say at Duke that the arena’s not big enough.”

You also never really hear people at Duke say "hey, why is our basketball arena 30 miles way from the campus??"

PostPosted: 08/09/18 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Westchester County has around the same amount of people as the Tulsa metropolitan area. The G League (formerly D league) team is called the Westchester Knicks. I say consider the team as having moved and call it the Westchester Liberty. Then it can be a team that plays in the center of its fan base, not one that is considered as playing off-center.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/09/18 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

If the WNBA season is any indicator I’d expect Canberra to sign Coleman to a multiyear seven-figure contract to start over Nurse. Given that it seemed to make so much sense in the world’s top pro league.

PostPosted: 08/09/18 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Quote:

Little do Liberty fans realize they are actually Duke students watching basketball games at Duke University

😂. They never say that about Cameron because it’s more than 3 times the size. And I doubt half the place has obstructed view seating.

I will say I like my seat there because I’m one of the lucky ones with a great view. If the product was good I’d be fine. I enjoy the games so much I wouldn’t care.

Oh and you’d think the two Duke grads would be a little better versed in ratios and proportions. 😂

PostPosted: 08/09/18 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ed Cohen before the start of yesterday's game: "you can make a case that no one wants to face the Liberty the way Amanda Zahui B is playing off the bench."

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/09/18 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Ed Cohen before the start of yesterday's game: "you can make a case that no one wants to face the Liberty the way Amanda Zahui B is playing off the bench."

Ah, yes. The Liberty were 7-21 and had lost seven games in a row. No doubt the Sparks were terrified. Smile

Dolanworld isn't famous for tolerating MSG broadcasters who express serious criticisms of Hideous Lord Jimmy's teams. There must be plenty of pressure on Ed Cohen and Julianne Viani to offer a hilariously positive spin on a miserable season.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 5:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty need to find a way to get their hands on young talent who are playing limited minutes or have sat out the season for one reason or another.Coming back with 90% of this seasons roster plus a lottery pick isn't going to cut it.

My list:
Copper
Ndour
Coates
Davis
Turner
Musina
Brown
Harrison
Jefferson
Nared
Allen
Coffey
Alexander
Prince
Dantas
Jones
Fagbenie
Zandalasini
SWK
K.Thomas
Russell

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/10/18 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
The Liberty need to find a way to get their hands on young talent who are playing limited minutes or have sat out the season for one reason or another.Coming back with 90% of this seasons roster plus a lottery pick isn't going to cut it.

My list:
Copper
Ndour
Coates
Davis
Turner
Musina
Brown
Harrison
Jefferson
Nared
Allen
Coffey
Alexander
Prince
Dantas
Jones
Fagbenie
Zandalasini
SWK
K.Thomas
Russell

I'd add Saniya Chong to the list because with more experiential confidence she could develop into a solid backup player, who happens to be from Westchester and who used to pack the WCC in high school.
Shades

PostPosted: 08/10/18 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

My list:
Musina

The Liberty should sign her as a replacement player, thereby locking her up as a reserve player.

The Liberty need a GM instead of just someone just accepting a paycheck for nothing.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/10/18 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depends who the lottery pick turns out to be. If it’s someone who defends the interior and rebounds, the Liberty should be markedly better next year as their other four starters all defend well. Since each of the two posts in the lottery should inspire at least varying degrees of attention when getting deep post position, that should help the offense some. Defending and rebounding also help your offense run more. It wouldn’t be a cure-all but improving your matchup situation in the middle would make them so much better defensively. McCowan and Brown both move better than the average player at their listed height and weight. Where I think people sleep on McCowan (I know her footwork on offense needs considerable improvement) is that she’s listed at 238 pounds. For that size she moves laterally really, really well. Barring Ionescu entering the draft I think McCowan is a lock for the top pick though. Even being very raw, 6’7” 238 with agility...there’s no substitute for it.

If it’s a wing player without any additional post help, we’re heavily dependent on Stokes stepping forward (sketchy) or else it’s a two-year plan plain and simple.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kaylee Jensen also played well with the Sparks in their camp. They simply didn't have room. Shakayla Thomas also comes to mind.

Draftees that were cut this season that NY should bring in:
Kaylee Jensen
Shakayla Thomas
Morgan William
Jill Barta
Tyler Scaife
Raisa Musina
Teana Muldrow

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
zune69

PostPosted: 08/10/18 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I'd add Saniya Chong to the list because with more experiential confidence she could develop into a solid backup player, who happens to be from Westchester and who used to pack the WCC in high school.

Yes,add Chong to the list.

Shades wrote:

The Liberty should sign her as a replacement player, thereby locking her up as a reserve player.

The Liberty need a GM instead of just someone just accepting a paycheck for nothing.

I definitely agree with this….The Liberty need to be more proactive instead of relying on a bunch of past their prime veteran players(Prince,Zellous,Coleman,Vaughn)

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Depends who the lottery pick turns out to be. If it’s someone who defends the interior and rebounds, the Liberty should be markedly better next year as their other four starters all defend well.

Yeah,the Liberty will be better next season,but making the playoffs won't be a guarantee….Chicago,LV,Dallas,Minnesota,and Phoenix are all likely to add a quality draft pick,and sign/trade for a player.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/10/18 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
There must be plenty of pressure on Ed Cohen and Julianne Viani to offer a hilariously positive spin on a miserable season.

I am not aware of any local broadcast teams that don’t give a positive spin on the home team. That is what the viewers want, in addition to what the owners want.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 84 of 90

Jump to: