RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 07/20/18 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
If she's able to put up numbers anything close to that as a SF this season, then yes, maybe Collier is the answer.

You anticipate Collier being used as a SF her senior season? I was expecting the same for Gabby her senior season, but it didn’t happen even with 6’6 Stevens playing for UConn. I’m not sure of the greatness of the UConn freshmen coming in or what positions they play, but I anticipate Collier being used as post again next season. Now if they use her as a stretch post who proves to be consistently dangerous from outside (think Maya Moore), then Collier should become an attractive SF prospect.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 07/20/18 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not big or strong enough to guard the PF's...Doesn't have the speed,quickness,or ball-handling ability to play the 3...Collier appears to the quintessential tweener(Bench player)..and that isn't necessarily a bad thing...Samuelson IMO is more suited for playing the SF position.Maybe the Liberty will get a draft day gift from Coach Stocks.If the order of the 2019 draft is Chicago #2 and New York #3...I wouldnt be shocked if Stocks did something stupid like pass on McCowen/Brown...I have my concerns about McCowen,but I think she'd be a great fit on a team where she doesn't have to be a primary offensive player(Chicago).

If the Liberty end up with the 3rd pick..and Brown,McCowen,and Ionescu aren't on the board...I would draft Samuelson or Durr....Then make Phoenix a fair offer for Gulich.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/20/18 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:
If she's able to put up numbers anything close to that as a SF this season, then yes, maybe Collier is the answer.

You anticipate Collier being used as a SF her senior season? I was expecting the same for Gabby her senior season, but it didn’t happen even with 6’6 Stevens playing for UConn. I’m not sure of the greatness of the UConn freshmen coming in or what positions they play, but I anticipate Collier being used as post again next season. Now if they use her as a stretch post who proves to be consistently dangerous from outside (think Maya Moore), then Collier should become an attractive SF prospect.

I'm not anticipating anything -- just following the train of thought presented. Given that UConn lost three of their top six, major reshuffling is going to happen. My guess is Samuelson stays at SF, but who knows?

PostPosted: 07/20/18 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Doesn't have the speed,quickness,or ball-handling ability to play the 3...Collier appears to the quintessential tweener(Bench player)..and that isn't necessarily a bad thing...Samuelson IMO is more suited for playing the SF position.

Nothing jumps out at me to think Collier is too slow to play SF, and I've watched 75%-80% of all UConn games during her career. Admittedly, I haven't focused on the subject, so maybe I'll change my mind this year. If you think Collier is too slow to play SF, but that Samuelson is capable, does that mean you think Samuelson is quicker than Collier? I don't see any evidence of that either. As far as ballhandling goes, you don't need to be a great ballhandler to play SF. You just have to be adequate, and I've seen enough of Collier with the ball to feel she'll be OK.

PostPosted: 07/20/18 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt Chicago takes Brown or McCowan. Probably Samuelson or Collier. Maybe NY gets the #3 pick and gets Brown. We better root for Vegas to make the playoffs over Connecticut at this point.

1. Indiana - McCowan
2. Chicago - Samuelson
3. New York - Brown
4. Connecticut - ???

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
LibFan25

PostPosted: 07/20/18 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

like i said again and again we need a post badly. you want to keep getting destroyed by Cambage, Griner, and Fowles every night? nope not this Lib Fan we need a big body in the paint. enuff is eunff. we have already so many guards we don't need. we should be trading some of them to get a post Rolling Eyes but hey what do i know about being a GM i'm just a fan

as for Collier, she runs perfectly fine for her size. good speed, great length. smooth with great hands. i'm sick and tired of seeing butterfingers Vaughn

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/20/18 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely need more mobility and/or length in the post, no question. No matter who we draft, this post rotation isn’t going to cut it. The league has radically changed in one year and the Libs have to change too. I’m watching Seattle-CT on DVR (no spoilers please) and you have two teams hustling, helping and actively moving their feet. Vaughn is generally a statue by comparison, and not only does she not have the quickness, she also doesn’t play with any fire. If it’s not draft-wise in the lottery, then another way to get a post player is absolutely a must.

Regarding Collier, I think she’s faster than most WNBA small forwards right now. And her first step quickness is explosive. Also a good passer. I don’t think the speed part is even debatable. Plus, she’s a long-strider who’s ALSO a pretty quick leaper. Most long-striders (Stewie, EDD) also have long arms, which they utilize effectively without necessarily being explosive leapers. Collier is also not a great leaper, but she’s very quick off the floor. That’s a nasty combo. One way or another, that physical package is going to be a handful in the WNBA.

Here’s an article that also indicates the willingness to improve her game:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-uconn-women-insider-collier-20170805-story,amp.html

PostPosted: 07/20/18 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a reminder it is mathematically impossible for NY to get the #3 pick unless IV gets into the playoffs and one of Connecticut or Minnesota fall into the lottery.

Otherwise NY is locked into the four spot which gives them a 10% chance at 1 a 14% chance at 2 a 0% chance at 3 and a 76% chance at 4.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/20/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Collier never played shooting guard as a UConn freshman or any other year, nor did she in high school. She was 2-13 from the arc as a UConn freshman, and was an infrequent three-point shooter in high school.

UConn's offense doesn't lend itself well to numerology, but Collier played mostly as the 5 in her soph and junior years even though she upped her three-point shooting to 22 makes in both years. Her primary area of offensive attack has always been from 16 feet to the rim.

I see her playing either the 3 or 4 in the WNBA, but unless something changes, which it could with her talent, I don't see her presenting as a consistent long ball threat.
zune69

PostPosted: 07/20/18 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Nothing jumps out at me to think Collier is too slow to play SF.

She just doesn't look like a SF to me.Collier is built like a PF....It's also hard to gauge Collier's speed/quickness because she's being guarded by College PF's most of the time....Maya Moore was more built than Collier,but she had a legit face up game.Maya could take two dribbles and rise up for the jump shot,or face the defender and blow right by them.Maya consistently outran PF,SF & SG's up and down the court.I have yet to see this from Collier.........Collier is,and will be a better all-around player than Samuelson,but I think KS could be a more valuable role player because she is a great 3 pt shooter,and has great height/length.

toad455 wrote:
I doubt Chicago takes Brown or McCowan.

If Stocks passes of McCowen/Brown,she should get fired right after the draft.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/20/18 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Collier never played shooting guard as a UConn freshman or any other year, nor did she in high school. She was 2-13 from the arc as a UConn freshman, and was an infrequent three-point shooter in high school.

UConn's offense doesn't lend itself well to numerology, but Collier played mostly as the 5 in her soph and junior years even though she upped her three-point shooting to 22 makes in both years. Her primary area of offensive attack has always been from 16 feet to the rim.

I see her playing either the 3 or 4 in the WNBA, but unless something changes, which it could with her talent, I don't see her presenting as a consistent long ball threat.

Plenty of 3s either survive or thrive without a 3 as their primary weapon. Angel, Deshields, Zellous, A. Thomas (swinging between 3-4), Beard.

She’s still only going to be a college senior. Players develop. She has the form and release...and clearly the work ethic to improve. She shot 43% from 3 and 82% from the line. Those numbers don’t lie. I don’t care how much she shoots from 16 feet and in. The woman can shoot it well enough to be a pro 3. You can tell by her form from the line how structured she probably is when it comes to shooting...and improvement.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 07/20/18 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 07/20/18 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Collier never played shooting guard as a UConn freshman or any other year.

Chong missed five games that year. Someone had to be the third guard. It wasn't Butler, Pulido or Lawlor, and Gabby was already the third post. So, it had to be either Collier or Ekmark. I seem to remember seeing Collier playing some SG. Maybe not a ton of minutes but when you're talking about a bench player it all kinda blends together.

PostPosted: 07/20/18 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thinking about Z’s impending free agency and a few thoughts crossed my mind. First off Excelle sports (I guess Megdal) wrote an article about Z’s signing in 2016 and how she signed with NY over offers from Indy, CT and Dallas. The article said a main motivation in signing here was the chance to win a championship.

Now she’s a free agent again (assuming Megdal’s data was accurate) and we don’t know the extent of her injury but wouldn’t signing with LA make sense? They could use the speed infusion and there might be an opening at SF. Their defensive mindset would fit her game.

A trade now would have even fit. LA is a game out a two seed and she would have helped their suddenly slow and stagnant offense. Would have given her a deserved shot at a title and would have helped NY with possibly a first round pick. That would have been a win all the way around, including for Zellous, if a championship opportunity would have been a motivator compared to leaving NY and her teammates. Can’t speak to that but I’d imagine going to a championship caliber team would be an exciting opportunity.

PostPosted: 07/20/18 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not too late. The trade deadline is Monday. Wink

PostPosted: 07/21/18 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

She shot 43% from 3 and 82% from the line. Those numbers don’t lie. I don’t care how much she shoots from 16 feet and in.

The numbers don't lie, but you're cherry picking numbers and seem to be arguing against your initial position that Collier could be the Lib's needed rebounding power, which to me connotes that she would be used more as a 4, closer to the basket, than a 3.

Collier shot 43% on 52 3FGA's as a sophomore, but her three-year production of three-point shots is 45-126 = 35.7%. Not bad, not good.

However, her soph season was the same year she shot 68% overall FG%, second in the nation, which shows her superb scoring ability from within the paint. How can you say you "don't care how much she shoots from 16 feet and in" when that's been her signature superiority as a college player. Collier is a great back-to-the-basket player at both the low and high posts. On the low block, she can quickly drop step left or right or put up a fall-away jumper. From the high post, she can feel lanes opening up and lancinate a drive around her defender, again either right or left, or can put up a mid-range jumper.

To me, all her paint scoring superiority and rebounding potential would be diminished if she were played mostly beyond the paint or out on the perimeter, where she has mediocre 3pt skills.

I agree Collier can play the 3 in college or the W. I just think her scoring and rebounding skills are better utilized in the power forward area of attack. If, in the W, she played in a sophisticated read-and-react motion offense as at UConn, where she and her teammates move all around the floor, setting picks and screens and endlessly cutting, then Collier could be an effective combo 4-3 in the W. But the Liberty has no such sophisticated offense. They don't even have an unsophisticated offense.
toad455

PostPosted: 07/21/18 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As long as we have Charles, a PF is our least needed position. Stokes has been disappointing (again) and Vaughn is useless, so we can pray for Brown to fall to us. Maybe we make a trade with the #4 pick and someone else for the #2 pick(to Chicago). Or if Charles wants out, Charles to Chicago for the #2 pick and Parker?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/21/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look at Gabby Williams, who was more athletic then Collier, guarded the tougher post players and was able to switch, could pass and see the floor, how has it been for her Wink Laughing

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/21/18 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

She shot 43% from 3 and 82% from the line. Those numbers don’t lie. I don’t care how much she shoots from 16 feet and in.

The numbers don't lie, but you're cherry picking numbers and seem to be arguing against your initial position that Collier could be the Lib's needed rebounding power, which to me connotes that she would be used more as a 4, closer to the basket, than a 3.

Collier shot 43% on 52 3FGA's as a sophomore, but her three-year production of three-point shots is 45-126 = 35.7%. Not bad, not good.

However, her soph season was the same year she shot 68% overall FG%, second in the nation, which shows her superb scoring ability from within the paint. How can you say you "don't care how much she shoots from 16 feet and in" when that's been her signature superiority as a college player. Collier is a great back-to-the-basket player at both the low and high posts. On the low block, she can quickly drop step left or right or put up a fall-away jumper. From the high post, she can feel lanes opening up and lancinate a drive around her defender, again either right or left, or can put up a mid-range jumper.

To me, all her paint scoring superiority and rebounding potential would be diminished if she were played mostly beyond the paint or out on the perimeter, where she has mediocre 3pt skills.

I agree Collier can play the 3 in college or the W. I just think her scoring and rebounding skills are better utilized in the power forward area of attack. If, in the W, she played in a sophisticated read-and-react motion offense as at UConn, where she and her teammates move all around the floor, setting picks and screens and endlessly cutting, then Collier could be an effective combo 4-3 in the W. But the Liberty has no such sophisticated offense. They don't even have an unsophisticated offense.

When I say “I don’t care” I’m not minimizing that skill. I’m saying it doesn’t mean she won’t develop passable perimeter ones. Z has made a career out of scoring from 16 feet and in.

What I am minimizing is the thought process where people seem to feel like WNBA players don’t develop beyond what they are as college juniors. You have to look at projectability.

As for the Gabby Williams post, same idea. And Collier is a better shooter than Williams right now.

PostPosted: 07/22/18 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
As long as we have Charles, a PF is our least needed position. Stokes has been disappointing (again) and Vaughn is useless, so we can pray for Brown to fall to us. Maybe we make a trade with the #4 pick and someone else for the #2 pick(to Chicago). Or if Charles wants out, Charles to Chicago for the #2 pick and Parker?

Katie Smith is so clueless at this point i don't think she will have a job next year. that's how bad she's been. puting Coleman(she was recently hurt) in the starting lineup instead of Nurse and getting more minutes is laughable. i'm already to talk about the future for next year.

they should tank the rest of the season to get K.Brown on this team next year. i wish we should of kept Russell on this team.

we go BIG with a post 1st round. Brown/McCowan

2nd round another need is SF. hoping Laksa from USF fall to us

3rd round one of my fav players of last year was Chloe Jackson from LSU.(now with Baylor transferred) she reminds me lil bit of Courtney Williams from CT Sun. she got a great jumper with speed and athleticism. i don't think she will fly under the radar playing with Kalani Brown will be a nice Duo to watch this fall.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/22/18 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The one thing we have going for us is that any lottery position will have a player with high value...and probably about equal value unless Ionescu comes out. I think the most critical thing about the offseason (and maybe even the upcoming trade deadline) is getting something of value for our extra players. There are lots of teams that can use certain of our players if a title is their ultimate pursuit. Hartley, for instance, would give Dallas a big lift. Diggins has tired legs from the 33-35 minutes she plays every night. Not only would Hartley give you a solid backup, she'd also give a spread-the-floor option at the 2 spot off the bench for nights when Gray's shot is off.

Z would have helped LA, but she seems to be hurt badly so forget that. Sugar could help Dallas too. Possibly even LA in terms of a speed option as an occasional undersized SF. You're talking late first round picks here. If you're Dallas and you're this close to being a top 2 seed, I think they'd be willing to deal if such a move is the difference between them getting or not getting that top 2 seed. It greatly increases your likelihood of getting to the finals.

But if a trade deadline move is not available, I think the offseason still has to feature the maximization of whatever value certain of our players have. I strongly feel we need more than one player, and a post player is a necessity in that mix. I also feel we may lose Z, which really may complicate things, since I feel you need a player to kind of play that role. Like it or not, nobody else brings her creativity to the team. That's why I've been getting higher on Collier....because Z has mentioned championship aspirations as being a reason why she signed here in the first place. There's teams next year who could use her who will have legit championship aspirations next year. Collier can fill that type of role for NY. But again, creativity is the key. Collier in of herself isn't solving our problems. She could be an important piece though.

PostPosted: 07/23/18 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watched some of Brown and McCowan last night. I came away impressed with both players in different ways. Watching Cambage yesterday and seeing how unstoppable she is going right, I see Brown being somewhat like that going left. Obviously Brown is at a way different stage of development but the fact that she can put it on the floor even for a dribble or two and finish with high efficiency is a good sign. Brown’s spin moves are also much quicker than McCowan’s due to better footwork. She hungers to score in a way that McCowan does not. Where Brown needs work is in going over her right shoulder and doing work on the right block. In the WNBA she’ll have to catch the ball on both sides of the paint as well as on the move. Given her relatively strong footwork, hunger and passing ability, I think she will make strides in that area as a senior. The Liberty would be worlds better with a player like this in the middle. Not only would they rebound and defend better, but she’s good in high-low sets which would make her functional with Tina immediately. She has good touch from the foul line, which would make her functional outside of the area right near the rim as well. I love her game.

McCowan is different. I don’t like her seeming lack of confidence in her offense. I read an article where she said she couldn’t believe she can do some of the stuff she does. She’s pretty athletic in tight areas. One of those quick leapers with length who just reaches over people to get rebounds. Her footwork needs improvement though. Compare her to Fowles, whose drop-step and spin moves are instantaneous in quickness and by comparison it looks like it takes her an hour. OTOH she has another year...as probably more of an offensive centerpiece...to work on it. Terrible passer too. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see her improve either. She’s a pretty immense talent. That quick leaper/length combo makes her an immediate WNBA impact player in blocked shots and rebounds. Particularly if she strengthens her upper body. Right now there’s four lottery teams who all need a shot-blocker/rebounder.

CT getting in the lottery would help us a lot. Way better chance to get one of the 2 posts. Guaranteed if somehow Ionescu comes out. I prefer Brown, but I see why McCowan’s natural talent would have teams salivating. If unlocked fully, OMG.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 07/23/18 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 07/23/18 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never been high on McCowan. Doesn't seem to like getting physical, has poor foot work and can be quite sloppy in rebounding. IMO, she's only getting as much attention due to her height. If she was just 6-4 or 6-5, I doubt she'd be putting up the same numbers. If I'm the Liberty I'd take Brown over McCowan.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/23/18 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I've never been high on McCowan. Doesn't seem to like getting physical, has poor foot work and can be quite sloppy in rebounding. IMO, she's only getting as much attention due to her height. If she was just 6-4 or 6-5, I doubt she'd be putting up the same numbers. If I'm the Liberty I'd take Brown over McCowan.

Watching them both in person i think Brown is the better player "Right Now" if McCowan goes to the right coach she will be the better player in year 2-3.

PostPosted: 07/23/18 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No question. I think those things are true. I’d say her height along with the timing of her jump. She rebounds over 6’4” players like they aren’t even there. But she makes it look too easy at times. Definitely needs to improve the physical play. But she’s also gotta get in the weight room. Watching Shepherd on ND play against her, McCowan was a little too easy to move.

OTOH when there’s so much talent present, sometimes these other things can be developed.

PostPosted: 07/23/18 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Watching them both in person i think Brown is the better player "Right Now" if McCowan goes to the right coach she will be the better player in year 2-3.

I’d agree. McCowan’s raw talent is on another level from Brown’s. I love Brown’s game, however, and think you could plug her into a WNBA team right now and get good productivity.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 75 of 90

Jump to: