RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 06/02/18 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's with Vaughn? She's been absolutely useless so far. Would we have been better of with Russell instead? Maybe bring in Larkins? We're in trouble if this is the best we're going to get with Vaughn. At least Stokes is doing her work in rebounding, but I don't care for the small line-up with Coleman at PF and Charles at C.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 06/02/18 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet lag?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/02/18 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree about the small lineup when we are winning. Though I guess Katie was desperately trying for some offense. But that lineup hurt us on D down the stretch. I’m hoping Vaughn will get better once she gets acclimated. New coach, new system and no training camp. We will see.

PostPosted: 06/02/18 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By scoring 34 points tonight, did Kia Nurse set a new franchise record for most points in one game by a rookie? And what is the WNBA record for most points by a rookie in one game? Thanks.

PostPosted: 06/02/18 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Generally, the small lineup is a waste of time unless they're using it to spread the floor. In the first half today, it was back to posting up Coleman. Why? In the second half, I'm not sure what was the purpose. Maybe to get better switching on defense? Indiana is so quick off the dribble that NY needed two players to corral the ballhandler. However, they also had to recover on open shooters. It looked like Stokes wasn't getting the job done, plus she was fouling people. Kiah ended up with five fouls. So, maybe that's why the small lineup was necessary later in the game.

During Indiana's comeback, the whole Liberty offense consisted of Hartley walking the ball up court and then dribble, dribble, dribble. As the clock ran down, someone would take a jump shot, and it would result in a one and done. Possession after possession, rinse and repeat. In the first half, New York passed the ball around and they drove to the hoop. Indiana doesn't have a big shot-blocker, so all they could do was foul. Where was all this in the second half? And why are the Liberty no longer running? It took them half a season to get it right last year, but once they started running the team played well. That was the whole point of Hartley replacing Prince as PG. Now, they're back to slow motion half-court offense. I don't get it.

Katie needs to be able to make adjustments when things go bad. Tonight, she had no answers. New York was lucky to scratch out a win.

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
By scoring 34 points tonight, did Kia Nurse set a new franchise record for most points in one game by a rookie? And what is the WNBA record for most points by a rookie in one game? Thanks.

Not sure about the franchise, but for the league, pilight has posted that information here: http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=72587&start=50

It looks like the most points by a rookie in one game is 40, by Candace Parker. [/url]

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justinabina wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Not sure about the franchise, but for the league, pilight has posted that information here: http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=72587&start=50

It looks like the most points by a rookie in one game is 40, by Candace Parker. [/url]

Thanks!

PostPosted: 06/03/18 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Nurse ever scored 34 or more in college? Pretty fantastic game for her.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/03/18 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

The rookie record for points in a game is 40, set by Candace Parker

PostPosted: 06/03/18 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Thanks. I'd still love to hear about the Liberty record if anyone knows.

PostPosted: 06/03/18 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Nurse continues to play 25-30 mpg...Even when Rodgers,Prince,and Boyd make their return.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/03/18 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nurse could also be a top candidate for 6th woman. Though if the Sun continue to have Jonquel Jones come off the bench it'll be a tough race.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/03/18 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Our next two games are vs. Phoenix, then Connecticut. I hope one of Prince, Boyd or Rodgers is back and ready by Tuesday. And that Stokes & Vaughn step up vs. Griner.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/03/18 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Generally, the small lineup is a waste of time unless they're using it to spread the floor. In the first half today, it was back to posting up Coleman. Why? In the second half, I'm not sure what was the purpose. Maybe to get better switching on defense? Indiana is so quick off the dribble that NY needed two players to corral the ballhandler. However, they also had to recover on open shooters. It looked like Stokes wasn't getting the job done, plus she was fouling people. Kiah ended up with five fouls. So, maybe that's why the small lineup was necessary later in the game.

During Indiana's comeback, the whole Liberty offense consisted of Hartley walking the ball up court and then dribble, dribble, dribble. As the clock ran down, someone would take a jump shot, and it would result in a one and done. Possession after possession, rinse and repeat. In the first half, New York passed the ball around and they drove to the hoop. Indiana doesn't have a big shot-blocker, so all they could do was foul. Where was all this in the second half? And why are the Liberty no longer running? It took them half a season to get it right last year, but once they started running the team played well. That was the whole point of Hartley replacing Prince as PG. Now, they're back to slow motion half-court offense. I don't get it.

Katie needs to be able to make adjustments when things go bad. Tonight, she had no answers. New York was lucky to scratch out a win.

I agree. I think the small lineup will mainly be beneficial when the Liberty are running...something they appear more likely to do when trailing and needing a quick run. Debbie Antonelli said that at one point Katie Smith was imploring them to run. But they still weren’t. I thought maybe they were tired being that six players played most of the minutes. I don’t love that so early in a season where there will be games in clusters and we haven’t even had any yet. I also thought Hartley was bothered by the pressure on her and in passing lanes. Backdoor cuts and quick movements can counter that but the Liberty took so long to get into their offense that they couldn’t counter it.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 06/03/18 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/03/18 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
pilight wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Thanks. I'd still love to hear about the Liberty record if anyone knows.

I don’t know this for a fact but I’d bet the record belongs to Nurse. The Libs haven’t had many impact rookies. Christon and Leilani are the only two I can think of who played substantial minutes as rookies.

PostPosted: 06/03/18 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you look at pilight's list of rookie 30pt games, Nurse is the only Lib I see. So it would therefore have to be New York's rookie record.

PostPosted: 06/03/18 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I agree. I think the small lineup will mainly be beneficial when the Liberty are running...something they appear more likely to do when trailing and needing a quick run. Debbie Antonelli said that at one point Katie Smith was imploring them to run. But they still weren’t. I thought maybe they were tired being that six players played most of the minutes. I don’t love that so early in a season where there will be games in clusters and we haven’t even had any yet. I also thought Hartley was bothered by the pressure on her and in passing lanes. Backdoor cuts and quick movements can counter that but the Liberty took so long to get into their offense that they couldn’t counter it.

Also thinking back to last year, Hartley was the primary PG by midseason precisely because she was used to help dictate tempo. But, that was predicated mainly on the Liberty post players beating opponents down the floor and getting post position. I like this offensive scheme better because it is more diverse and less likely to result in Tina getting something like back spasms before a playoff elimination game. However, I don't think this type of offense is one in which Hartley is going to be able to dictate tempo. It requires better floor vision and ball handling...two areas she is kind of weak at for a PG. The person who I think CAN play PG in this offense better than she did last year is Piph, particularly when Nurse is on the floor. While it's not her natural inclination to push tempo, it IS her natural inclination to get into a quick pick and roll and be able to create with a spaced-out floor. Nurse also has really good vision and moves the ball quick (unlike Rodgers) which should help offensive flow more than last year when the Piph/Rodgers backcourt was a failure.

I'm hoping that we see a lot of Piph-Nurse-Z-Tina-Stokes if we ever have a healthy squad. Hoping also by playoff time that Boyd is back and able to provide some energy infusion off the bench. But right now that's anyone's guess. When Sugar is back I'd like to see her right around 15-20 minutes per game even if she starts. That can work if Hartley and Allen have their minutes cut down. Then Nurse still gets her 25-30 minutes when needed. Ideally if you can keep Nurse around 20-25 minutes in games where it doesn't come down to the final 5 minutes that would be great, so that her high energy maintains itself.

PostPosted: 06/03/18 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, going by yesterday's game, Z was the default backup PG, not Nurse.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three games this week in six days. No travel in between, which helps. Still, it would really be valuable if at least one of our injured players could be on the court, ideally more than one.

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Does anyone know if Nurse ever scored 34 or more in college? Pretty fantastic game for her.

I believe her high was 33 vs. DePaul (December 1, 2016). She averaged 11.4 PPG over 145 career games, and 13.7 PPG over 35 games in her senior season.
Randy

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks. Perhaps the college teams she faced played better defense than Fever.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More likely, Nurse was surrounded by better scorers during her UConn career than on the current Liberty, including Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck, Moriah Jefferson, Napheesa Collier, Azura Stevens and Katie Lou Samuelson.

Of course, aside from this initial high scoring game by Nurse, we're a long way from knowing what her final scoring average will be on the Liberty. But she's made an impressive start.
toad455

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And more so, how much playing time she'll get once Rodgers & Prince return.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/03/18 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

It’s early and a lot can still happen, but I think it demonstrates how college performance is only part of the equation. Pro projection also has to be made based on how a player is utilized, what their attributes are and how those attributes might differ in the spacing of the pro game.

That said it’s 4 games in and let’s see what happens when defenses treat her as a centerpiece of the perimeter offense. Still, her positive traits speak to continued progression in my opinion.

PostPosted: 06/03/18 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Never forget that Geno couldn't win a National Title (let alone make the Title game) with the G.O.A.T., Kia Nurse, unless he also had Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson, and Morgan Tuck too! 🙊

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 65 of 90

Jump to: