Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/27/18 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
To The Liberty:

Why did it take us fans so long to find out why Prince was not in training camp because of a concussion ? Why did we have to find out from another poster?
THIS IS NOT RIGHT FOR YOUR FANS !

THESE ARE THE FANS YOU WANT TO SPEND METRO NORTH TICKETS
AND TICKETS IN WCC

DO WE DESERVE MORE ?

i THINK SO

What about you Liberty Fans ?

Of course you're right. Of course it makes no sense to anger and alienate any team's most committed fans.

Alas, speaking about what anyone deserves in DolanWorld leads to a predictable result.

PostPosted: 05/27/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don Best has updated its injury info for Tuesday:

Boyd out indefinitely.
Piph doubtful.
Kia probable.
Sugar questionable.

Discouraging about Boyd but looks like Piph and Sugar will at least be back before long.

PostPosted: 05/27/18 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Boyd out indefinitely.
Piph doubtful.
Kia probable.
Sugar questionable.

Discouraging about Boyd but looks like Piph and Sugar will at least be back before long.

If Boyd is going to be out for most of the season, I think it's time to suspend her for the season. Makes us cutting Lindsay Allen look foolish. Maybe we get Sugar back to be at 10 players at least. PGs currently available: Sydney Colson, Alexis Peterson, Morgan William.

PG: Hartley/[Nurse]
SG: Zellous/Nurse/Rodgers
SF: Coleman/Allen
PF: Charles/Zahui B
C: Stokes/Vaughn

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/27/18 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Boyd out indefinitely.
Piph doubtful.
Kia probable.
Sugar questionable.

Certainly interesting to consider how it is that the Liberty seemingly issues no press release about the health/injury status of players--nor holds a press conference to share this information--yet a gambling site has all these details on Boyd, Prince, Vaughn, and Rodgers.

It's valuable to have these details. Thanks for posting this. But if the only place for fans to get such information is a gambling site, that's ugly.

PostPosted: 05/27/18 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow - probable, doubtful, questionable, indefinite. A condition for every situation.

stever

PostPosted: 05/29/18 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.foxsports.com/wnba/story/for-sale-new-york-liberty-courting-potential-new-owners-052918

Quote:
Borders spent a few minutes chatting with Steiner, a sports marketer and leading sports memorabilia collector. Steiner did not immediately return an email from the AP seeking comment on buying the team.

Neither Liberty nor Madison Square Garden officials would comment on specific possible ownership groups, but an MSG spokesman did say that the company ”is continuing to have productive discussions with several prospective ownership groups and remains committed to finding the right steward for the team’s long-term success in New York.”

”To have people interested in buying the Liberty, that’s a really good sign for the W,” the league president said.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/29/18 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
https://www.foxsports.com/wnba/story/for-sale-new-york-liberty-courting-potential-new-owners-052918

Quote:
MSG said in a statement to the AP that it has ”lost money every year since its inception and cumulative losses exceed $100 million.”

greater than $100 million losses / 21 years = greater than $4.76 million loss per year. They must count the money the Liberty pays to another part of MSG - the stadium folks. which ends up not being a loss for MSG. But any prospective owner won't have that benefit, and also won't be getting content for their MSG network. How do you talk about losses that big and have 2 prospective buyers?

Quote:
Borders spent a few minutes chatting with Steiner, a sports marketer and leading sports memorabilia collector.

That should be "sports memorabilia seller". But he is just the CEO now of a company he sold. Somewhere I saw it referred to as a $50 million dollar company with 100 employees. They bought the old Yankee stadium for millions and then sold pieces of it.

Last edited by tfan on 05/29/18 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 05/29/18 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still wonder if either of these new groups would move the team to Brooklyn or Nassau or even Newark, NJ? Hopefully a deal is worked out.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/29/18 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
stever wrote:

Quote:
MSG said in a statement to the AP that it has ”lost money every year since its inception and cumulative losses exceed $100 million.”

greater than $100 million losses / 21 years = greater than $4.76 million loss per year. They must count the money the Liberty pays to another part of MSG - the stadium folks. which ends up not being a loss for MSG. But any prospective owner won't have that benefit, and also won't be getting content for their MSG network. How do you talk about losses that big and have 2 prospective buyers?

This was also the part that stuck out to me Shocked

PostPosted: 05/29/18 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

Quote:
Borders spent a few minutes chatting with Steiner, a sports marketer and leading sports memorabilia collector. Steiner did not immediately return an email from the AP seeking comment on buying the team.

Neither Liberty nor Madison Square Garden officials would comment on specific possible ownership groups, but an MSG spokesman did say that the company ”is continuing to have productive discussions with several prospective ownership groups and remains committed to finding the right steward for the team’s long-term success in New York.”

”To have people interested in buying the Liberty, that’s a really good sign for the W,” the league president said.

And here it is ..........

Quote:
The Liberty say they had fewer than 5,000 fans in paid attendance at most games.

Told ya Dolan knew some things we did not . 10,000 a game with 5000 give aways and 5,000 regular paying customers only looks so good after so long.

PostPosted: 05/29/18 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was given comps frequently when the team played in Newark. Comps would typically be available in the MSG lobby for games if you spoke to the right person. Typically general admission seats. Seems like groups and sponsors would be given these for every game.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/29/18 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
stever wrote:

Quote:

I think what you’re saying is that those aren’t the actual losses, but losses in terms of opportunity costs.

That’s why a new buyer won’t be returning them to MSG.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/29/18 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, any prospective owner needs to think outside the box. We know the old solutions won't work. Essentially what's happening to the Liberty is what has happened to ordinary New Yorkers for decades -- they've gotten priced out of their own neighborhoods. You have to move farther out, you have to pioneer less desirable neighborhoods, you have to find new uses for unwanted spaces and renovate. If they only need to fill 5,000 seats, that actually makes the job easier. It's going to take money, but arts organizations find a way to do it with a combination of fundraising and government help. In this case, your new owner(s) should be willing to spend money. Then, it's a matter of getting some sponsors and a bit of government help.

PostPosted: 05/29/18 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So maybe $2 million a year is conservative ...

All in all, though, why say you lost that much money if you expect to "sell" the team? And why say you papered half the house every night if you expect someone to "buy" it?

And of course this quote

an MSG spokesman did say that the company ”is continuing to have productive discussions with several prospective ownership groups and remains committed to finding the right steward for the team’s long-term success in New York.”

is empty of any real content.

"Productive discussions" -- we got to write lunch off on our expense accouts

"Prospective ownership groups" -- groups that said they would invest in the WNBA if they could see any way make money

I do think it's important for our fandom not to hide the reality of the league, as any suggestions/thoughts/ideas we might have to make things better have to work inside a financial box that is severely constrained.

There is zero evidence -- aside from self-serving stories -- that teams turn a consistent profit or that a WNBA franchise has any financial value. There is significant evidence to the contrary, most damning that info from MSG. (But we all know the attendance padding is blatant almost everywhere ...)

On the flip side, among other things, it's the best women's basketball league in the world, it serves a social function as a showcase for elite female athletes who are often black and lesbian, and it is a decent TV experience.

Pretending, though, that better marketing or better officiating or whatever will turn the league into a moneymaker is pretty much a fantasy. It is what it is, after 20 years, and everyone involved should be proud.

Could it better? Sure -- but we won't make it better by deluding ourselves that making a solid profit is reasonable goal for most owners.

PostPosted: 05/29/18 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I wanted to see the Lynx actually pressure Nurse when the Liberty were using her as a point guard in the most recent game, but they never really did. I don't think we've actually seen whether her handle is good enough to be a primary ballhandler in this league yet because it hasn't been tested. Maybe she is, or maybe she isn't and she'll do just fine as a 2/3 anyway, but I'd like to see someone make her vaguely prove it.

They aren’t. Laughing

PostPosted: 05/30/18 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where is Queenie? I don't think I seen a post from her since the season started. I miss her eloquence concerning everything related to New York basketball. I know she has not finished expressing her feelings concerning James Dolan. Wink

PostPosted: 05/31/18 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok have a Lot of Thoughts here. Some of that fox sports article I buy...some I sell.

Clay Brought up self serving prospective in articles that purported profit. This is true. But I would bring up self serving prospective in this article as well. It's clear Dolan wants nothing more to do with this team at MSG...period. I'm sure there were people who would have bought in the off season (Going off the Bidder claims IF a lease could be had) It's clear that's not possible in that article. One thing not noted is the political bent of the players and the league. If you google "Trump Inaugration" and "Rockettes" you will see where Dolan may not want to be associated with a team that demands, promotes and expects such a left leaning fanbase, player protests and league promotion strategy. Especially since at MSG I agree the overhead is such making a profit is difficult

There's a reason aside from St. Johns, which is funded by Booster Donations and MSG sells more to Visiting fans, there are no other long term lease based teams at MSG, the other teams are MSGco Owned, I believe the last non MSG owned leased sports team were the CityHawks AFL club 20 years ago...it was a disaster. and entities who used to book their long gigs at MSG Like WWE who used to be officed in the old MSG and treat MSG as their home arena (Both Vince Sr and Jr, Bruno Sammartino and Hulk Hogan used to have plaques on the walk of fame at MSG) feel priced out to Barclays only running less costly smaller shows at MSG and saving the big self production overhead for a cheaper venue like Barclays or Nassau to serve the metro.

Even at 5k Paid I dont see how a team can be more economically healthy with a max of less than half that...and thats assuming they all paid full price and all came to the arena bought food and maybe merch...not happening didnt happen Tuesday...still can't buy the math problem except for yes the total outlay is less.

That said...I will give creedence to MOST not all the financial pain disclosed in the article...tho perhaps not in the order they gave it OR that some fans are discussing the impact on the league or other clubs. Some people are making leaps that I think while mathmatically true, may not be economically true

Total accrued debt: $100 Million...BUY...but with a large asterisk.

This claim is one I do believe is true if you add it up over 22 years.

But there's a Big BUT and I cannot lie.

I believe at least half if not a majority of that $100 Million comes from the 3 year disaster at Pru Center. I have been told that the team was still paying off debt to Pru Center as late as mid season last year by an MSG official I trust and thats why It was not an option for potential conflicts in the playoffs.

I can tell you this. During the Pru era things were way more Washington Mystics like: a crowd of 7 would have 2 in the seats. If you told me only the 200 or so STH present bought a ticket...I wouldnt bat an eyelash at that one. Even at half the overhead at minimum of MSG (Something I was also told as the team was returning to the Pru) you'd be racking up some big debt pretty quickly at those numbers, and unlike being in a building you own, those are not just abacus beads, there were real people with real hands streched out to collect.

I agree I too saw Lib officials handing out tickets to whoever would come within a few feet of the building. Most reentered with most of their stack intact after tip.

Which is to say to simply divide by 20 and say a new owner is looking to lose 4.5M a year off the bat...may be a bit simplistic and a reach. And would deny the fact that indeed there has been growth over the last 4 seasons at MSG...to the point that I would say it would insult the hard work folks like Keia Clarke and Kristen Bernert did to win back fans after pru center.

Which brings us to:

Actual Paid Attendance is HALF of what is announced, most seats are given away: Mostly Sell.

This seems to be an attempt to explain the obvious math problem between MSG and WCC. How can 9k be less economically attractive than 2.3k?

The issue here to me is distribution vs actual attendance.

Could you say most GAs are given away...I'd say that's a possibility. That takes off 2k so we're at 8 of a total possible of 10 and change.

But to get that to 5. Maybe on a midweek...I can see it.

But when they announced 9...It felt like 9...10 felt like 10...there was 1 problem area in section 121 that seemed to be a block gobbled up by scalpers and no one ever used suites...but that's internal.

Perhaps I was too rosy on Friday attendance, that featured younger more HS like crowds, but Sundays seemed to sell...Indeed Last year's schedule was basically Friday Sunday every week. This seemed t be a good model...I could see this working. I cant see this being paid attendances below half.

Not in 16 and 17

14 when the team was bad...yes

15 when STH almost revolted because GAs were running thru the aisles stealing seats...likely

But it seems that MSGco is trying to deny growth to make things look more dire...something I would do as well if I was trying to underline the need to sell and fold if not sold...If I was Keia Clarke I'd be a bit insulted at that.

But this is done all the time to hide revenue.

Which brings us to something I saw that no one brought up

Deliberate Overspend: I dont think any other club spent more on sideshows than MSGco. Rob Base where most would pay for a traveling circus act...2 bands at pride when 1 would do.

Some were needed...Will never deny entering a float at NY Pride Parade...that was needed...for the players more than the fans

Community events put butts in seats

But there were things I saw that I thought were...gee now your crying poverty...maybe we dont need Rob Base and Crystal Waters at halftime stupid!

Were there problems...yes...and as I said that 100m total tab I think is accurate...HOW it got there Is what I question with very frank and fair evidence...not wishful thinking.

I didnt have a problem with Dolan selling 50% to isiah except that it was to Isiah and that was an issue that dogs the team to this day as the league stood its ground and denied it and came up with the withdrawl that we saw.

I am also pro smaller arena...any fantasy I have of a profitable team comes in a 7-10k arena...but not a 2.3k arena. Be it a gut renovated Carnesecca or a new construction or even a purchased and revamped theatre or gym.

MLS had this eary on and one of the keys to its success is the SSS iniative (Soccer specific stadiums) a movement like this WOULD help the W...and WOULD help a team like the libs which does face high overhead

As for the 2nd half of the article.

I think Mr Steiner IFF: If and ONLY IF, he has an arena plan...would be a good owner...I think he could have a decent idea how to make more revenue even if it would make me cringe (Let's see a fanbase with a lot of die hards who pine for merch is bought by a high end high priced merch dealer...do you see who wears the pants in that relationship LOL) I think that is at least a good show but it is plain as day now

Have a lease elsewhere before you call dolan...even if that's struck thru the league.

PostPosted: 05/31/18 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you're losing $4M per year with your payroll capped under $1M then you have a management problem.

PostPosted: 05/31/18 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
If you're losing $4M per year with your payroll capped under $1M then you have a management problem.

I do wonder if part of the problem getting a sale completed was prospective owners saying "You know these 28 people you've got listed as working in the Liberty Front Office? Yeah, we're not taking them with us. You keep 'em, you pay 'em." And then suddenly MSG became less keen on the deal.

As for the lost $100m figure, who the hell knows. Like any of these numbers that get thrown out, they're always massaged in one direction or another.

PostPosted: 05/31/18 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

I do wonder if part of the problem getting a sale completed was prospective owners saying "You know these 28 people you've got listed as working in the Liberty Front Office? Yeah, we're not taking them with us. You keep 'em, you pay 'em." And then suddenly MSG became less keen on the deal.

As for the lost $100m figure, who the hell knows. Like any of these numbers that get thrown out, they're always massaged in one direction or another.

Excellent point. The whole financial aspect is a black box, manipulated by accountants who can make the numbers sing any song they want.

All we can see is the result, which is that "prospective WNBA owners" and "yeti sightings" remain equally elusive -- which leads me to believe that the real numbers are more negative than positive.

PostPosted: 05/31/18 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

Actual Paid Attendance is HALF of what is announced, most seats are given away: Mostly Sell.

I agree. When I've attended, there were actual people at Liberty games -- we're not talking about grossly fictitious numbers. Maybe they're embellished, but they're not way off like some arenas. I don't know how many seats are in the lower bowl, and to be honest a lot of fans showed up late. However, at peak attendance (usually some time in the 2nd Qtr) the lower bowl was usually 75%-80% filled. Let's take a low number and say that it's only 7500 people. That means you have to comp over 2500 to get to the supposed paid number of under 5,000 admissions. How do you physically give away that many tickets for 17 games per year? Who's giving them away? What are the channels? I'm always on the lookout for freebies and discounts for events around town. I didn't see offers all over the place for free Liberty tickets. So, somehow this is happening in secret? I encountered one promotion in 2015 where a radio station gave away Liberty tickets. They made everyone who attended through the promotion take a picture together. There were maybe 30 of us -- 40 at most. That's a long way from 2,500.

Now, I'm sure people will suggest blocks of tickets were given to schools and youth groups. OK, if we're talking about a third or more of the audience being comped, wouldn't we see all these kids very conspicuously? Even if they're not little kids but instead teenagers, I haven't seen any games where a third of the audience was teenagers. And this is using my more conservative numbers. If you're using the MSG numbers of 9889 attendance versus less than 5000 paid, then you'd have to give away roughly 5000 tickets. That's more than 50% of the attendance. Again, how are you doing this for 17 games per year -- and secretly?

Happycappie25 wrote:

MLS had this eary on and one of the keys to its success is the SSS iniative (Soccer specific stadiums) a movement like this WOULD help the W...and WOULD help a team like the libs which does face high overhead

I've read the same thing. People say that the key to turning around the MLS was building their own stadiums. No one has actually explained why that helped, but that's always given as a main reason. Maybe it's because you become a landlord instead of a tenant? More appropriate scaling in terms of revenue vs cost? Better sightlines and overall experience for the fans? Probably all of the above.

pilight wrote:

As someone who has spent much of his working life doing budgeting and planning, I totally agree.

PostPosted: 05/31/18 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

But there's a Big BUT and I cannot lie.

+1 for Sir Mix a Lot Wink

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/31/18 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Excellent point. The whole financial aspect is a black box, manipulated by accountants who can make the numbers sing any song they want.

All we can see is the result, which is that "prospective WNBA owners" and "yeti sightings" remain equally elusive -- which leads me to believe that the real numbers are more negative than positive.

My favorite, most eye-opening book in statistics class (back in the dark ages) was a little orange book called "how to lie with statistics" - it totally amazed me then (and still now) at how you could pick and choose and manipulate "data" to pretty much say whatever you wanted it to say. Which makes me leery of all sorts of studies, claims, whatever...

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 05/31/18 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My favorite statistics book as well. Here is link for a free download. I think it is in the public domain now - lots of free downloads out there.

http://faculty.neu.edu.cn/cc/zhangyf/papers/How-to-Lie-with-Statistics.pdf

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 05/31/18 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

I agree. When I've attended, there were actual people at Liberty games -- we're not talking about grossly fictitious numbers..

Now, I'm sure people will suggest blocks of tickets were given to schools and youth groups. OK, if we're talking about a third or more of the audience being comped, wouldn't we see all these kids very conspicuously? Even if they're not little kids but instead teenagers, I haven't seen any games where a third of the audience was teenagers. And this is using my more conservative numbers. If you're using the MSG numbers of 9889 attendance versus less than 5000 paid, then you'd have to give away roughly 5000 tickets. That's more than 50% of the attendance. Again, how are you doing this for 17 games per year -- and secretly?

Only devils advocate is that FRIDAY games seemed to be many hs basketball teams both male and female...and of course garden of dreams night lol...so some of what you describe could have happened...but at the clip of 2500 or 5k a NIGHT? Like the article claimed...

I dump on fridays because i always went to lib staff and pushed them to build on the Friday audience...i always got odd response to that 2+2 =4 i think sadly

ppl were sitting down...ppl were in seats....that they found 2500 of these 17 times a year
...jim...cmon.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 64 of 90

Jump to: