Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/20/18 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I don’t think they’d be going with 2 posts and Coleman with nobody else.

With Lavender and Vadeeva overseas, and Parker injured, right now LA has Nneka as the only post. The next tallest player is Sydney Wiese, who spent her whole college career as a point guard. By comparison, the Liberty having two post players looks like an embarrassment of riches. Wink

Zahui's line: 40 minutes, 20 points 10 rebounds 5 blocks. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 05/20/18 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Regarding Shades' comment, sounds plausible to me. I was kinda thinking the same.

I made a similar point a couple of months ago when I talked about the "TV show" business model with a small live audience. However, some of us know the difference between an income statement and a balance sheet.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Regarding Shades' comment, sounds plausible to me. I was kinda thinking the same.

I made a similar point a couple of months ago when I talked about the "TV show" business model with a small live audience. However, some of us know the difference between an income statement and a balance sheet.

I sure don't. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 05/20/18 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York re-signs Russell.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That’s odd. Wonder why.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
That’s odd. Wonder why.

If Vaughn's overseas finals goes five games she'll miss more than just today's game. Plus we don't know the story with Stokes' injury. I'd be okay long run if Russell stays and Allen is cut.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/20/18 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe they tried to make a deal that fell through. Or maybe the free agent they wanted turned them down.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
That’s odd. Wonder why.

If Vaughn's overseas finals goes five games she'll miss more than just today's game. Plus we don't know the story with Stokes' injury. I'd be okay long run if Russell stays and Allen is cut.

Oh I get why she’s with the team. I’m just unclear why she was cut in the first place.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Maybe they tried to make a deal that fell through. Or maybe the free agent they wanted turned them down.

Probably one of those two.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess is, based on nothing, that Dolan agreed to keep the team for one more year, and will sell/fold after this season.

Or maybe he hangs in for another year, and Liberty decamp to San Francisco.

It would seem foolish for the league not to have a team in NYC, or close by, but finding another owner willing to lose $2 million a year won't be that easy.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The issue has always been with keeping the Liberty in New York is finding another arena for them to play in. Barclays is the best option, but we're assuming the rent will be high. Nassau Coliseum is an option, just difficult to get to. It's going to be an uneasy off-season for us Liberty fans for sure.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/20/18 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
My guess is, based on nothing, that Dolan agreed to keep the team for one more year, and will sell/fold after this season.

It would seem foolish for the league not to have a team in NYC, or close by, but finding another owner willing to lose $2 million a year won't be that easy.

Even assuming that this calculation is correct and is unlikely to improve in the near future, the sad truth is that there are many people who can easily afford to lose $2 million per year as owners of a WNBA team. But of course that doesn't mean that someone WILL buy the team from Dolan.

One possible concept--I can hope, though this may never happen either--is for an ownership group. Suppose 10 people with lots of money are willing to lose $200,000 each per year.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Management has to think outside the box. Look at alternative spaces or maybe partner with another organization. I think the venue question is why the team hasn't been sold. It's not that Dolan turned down offers, he probably didn't get any firm offers. A lot of people with interest -- kicking the tires as it were -- but if you're a prospective owner, how can you buy a team unless you can envision where they're going to play?

Regarding Russell, it's still weird that they didn't simply hold on to her until something else happened. You can always cut her when needed. Instead, they did this yo-yo thing.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Management has to think outside the box. Look at alternative spaces or maybe partner with another organization. I think the venue question is why the team hasn't been sold. It's not that Dolan turned down offers, he probably didn't get any firm offers. A lot of people with interest -- kicking the tires as it were -- but if you're a prospective owner, how can you buy a team unless you can envision where they're going to play?

Agreed. Certainly makes sense that the venue question is central to the team's future. No one would buy the Liberty and plan to keep them in Westchester or any comparable arena.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Oh I get why she’s with the team. I’m just unclear why she was cut in the first place.

so they can do 7 day contracts

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/20/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

so they can do 7 day contracts

Ohhh ok. That makes sense.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too early for 7-day contracts.

Quote:
Section 9. 7-Day Contracts.
At any time after the Mid-Point of a Regular Season, a Team may enter into a Player Contract with a player for seven (7) days (a “7-Day Contract”).The Base Salary provided for by a 7-Day Contract shall not be less than the Minimum Player Salary. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in Article V, Section 6 (including, but not limited to, Article V, Section 6(a)(i)(x), 6(a)(i)(y), or 6(b)), when a Team terminates a 7-Day Contract prior to the expiration of the seven (7) days, the team shall pay to the player only such sums as set forth in Exhibit 1 to such Contract. No team may enter into more than three (3) 7-Day-Contracts with the same player in any one (1) Season. No Team may enter into a 7-day Contract if the length of such Contract would extend to or past the date of the Team’s last Regular Season game for such Season

PostPosted: 05/20/18 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In that case it's still a mystery...and possibly a trade that fell through.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Too early for 7-day contracts.

Quote:
Section 9. 7-Day Contracts.
At any time after the Mid-Point of a Regular Season, a Team may enter into a Player Contract with a player for seven (7) days (a “7-Day Contract”).The Base Salary provided for by a 7-Day Contract shall not be less than the Minimum Player Salary. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in Article V, Section 6 (including, but not limited to, Article V, Section 6(a)(i)(x), 6(a)(i)(y), or 6(b)), when a Team terminates a 7-Day Contract prior to the expiration of the seven (7) days, the team shall pay to the player only such sums as set forth in Exhibit 1 to such Contract. No team may enter into more than three (3) 7-Day-Contracts with the same player in any one (1) Season. No Team may enter into a 7-day Contract if the length of such Contract would extend to or past the date of the Team’s last Regular Season game for such Season

PM your way.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

At least the Dream are no longer the first team mentioned for relocation to SF.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/20/18 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

PM your way.

Responded, in my usual long-winded way. Smile

PostPosted: 05/20/18 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A rookie's first WNBA game is as tiny a sample as you can get. But, wow, I'm thinking that years from now the New York Liberty and its fans (if, hopefully, the franchise still exists) will be feeling awfully happy that nine teams passed on drafting Kia Nurse.

There has been speculation here of who could be the second-best player on this year's Liberty team. I'm a little shocked to say this, but it seems at least possible that our lone rookie could prove to be our second-best player.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, Nurse was spectacular tonight. Do we really need Prince back?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/20/18 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have continuing questions about Prince, Boyd, and Rodgers. Can we feel sure that we'll get lots of games this season out of both Prince and Boyd? Or either of them? And Rodgers was 2-7 tonight after making her first shot (a three-pointer). New York desperately needs her to put the ball in the basket.

With only nine active players, Rebecca Allen played 5:49 in the first half and not at all in the second half. Hard to believe her roster spot is secure.

Meanwhile, Lindsay Allen started in today's game for Bill Laimbeer. I didn't like cutting her and still don't. But certainly I could be proven completely wrong.

PostPosted: 05/20/18 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I don’t think they’d be going with 2 posts and Coleman with nobody else.

With Lavender and Vadeeva overseas, and Parker injured, right now LA has Nneka as the only post. The next tallest player is Sydney Wiese, who spent her whole college career as a point guard. By comparison, the Liberty having two post players looks like an embarrassment of riches. Wink

Zahui's line: 40 minutes, 20 points 10 rebounds 5 blocks. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pro-rated for 40 minutes, Zahui was around 30 and 15. Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 61 of 90

Jump to: