RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/17/18 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Or you just suspend her because she's not there and you don't want to pay her.

True, but why not use the spot for 3 games or whatever? I didn't think their cap situation was that tight. Three real post players is pretty slim.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
New York Allen, Lindsay Waived
New York Gray, Reshanda Waived
New York Russell, Mercedes Waived
New York Vaughn, Kia Suspended – Temporary*

Indy and Vegas should be looking at Allen and Russell.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/17/18 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This team has Boyd coming off an Achilles injury and five shooting guards.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Or you just suspend her because she's not there and you don't want to pay her.

True, but why not use the spot for 3 games or whatever? I didn't think their cap situation was that tight. Three real post players is pretty slim.

I agree. I also wasn’t under the impression their cap situation was that tight based on Laimbeer’s words last year. Maybe a trade is on the horizon for one of our many two guards.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing -- a trade would make sense. We have 7 players whose best position is 2 or 3.

The cap is probably tighter this year because we had to give Hartley a raise. However, I assumed that it would be partially offset by Vaughn taking a slight cut. The real question is what are we paying Coleman?

In a NY Post article today, Katie and Zellous talked about the new offense having more movement. No more standing around and forcing it into Tina. If nothing else, Rebecca Allen is the one player on the team who constantly moves without the ball. She fits from that point of view. Otherwise, I'm as shocked as anyone else that it's Bec and not Lindsay who is still here.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Moving without the ball is def a strength of Allen's. On another note, WNBA Fan's Page reports that Stokes is in a walking boot. Anyone know if that's true? If it is, and a roster spot is available with so few posts, then something has to be transpiring.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think we would punish Vaughn just for the sake of doing it. So I'm thinking we are going to pick someone up off the waiver wire to audition in the post. Also if we have two injured through the first couple of games we wouldn't have to waive that extra player until one of those two is healthy so they might last a few games even after Vaughn returns.

I'm guessing Larkins, George or Cannon, (thought it might have been Hamson) but why not announce it already.

Hartley/Boyd
Rodgers/Nurse/Prince
Zellous/R. Allen
Charles/Coleman
Stokes/Zahui B/Vaughn

Also 10 of last years 12 made the cut. Coleman replaces Nayo, Nurse replaces L. Allen.

Also I can't imagine L. Allen doesn't end up in Vegas.

(Also I'm still not giving up on Rodgers and NY 2nd round pick in 19 for Jefferson it still makes a lot of sense for both teams. Maybe waiving L. Allen when LV is first on the waiver wire was even a secret part of the deal. I like Rodgers but I can still see it happening)

A few week from now

Jefferson/Boyd
Hartley/Nurse/Prince
Zellous/R. Allen
Charles/Coleman/Zahui B
Stokes/Vaughn

with Larkins, George, or Cannon possibly replacing one of Coleman R. Allen, or not.

libertycrazy97

PostPosted: 05/17/18 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="NYL_WNBA_FAN"]Moving without the ball is def a strength of Allen's. On another note, WNBA Fan's Page reports that Stokes is in a walking boot. Anyone know if that's true? If it is, and a roster spot is available with so few posts, then something has to be transpiring.[/quote

Yes i saw stokes in the boot on instagram in the stories part

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/17/18 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Makes you wonder why they cut both Russell and Gray. Confused Could the boot be a fashion accessory? Razz

On a side note, Rebecca Allen usually attends these community events, but she was not at this one. Neither was Charles or Prince, but they often miss events. Bec is a joiner. Does that mean anything?

PostPosted: 05/18/18 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I am assuming this is a very recent photo.

Stokes is running in what looks like full practice gear so maybe the boot is a precaution, unless the injury happened later at this practice.

It looks like Boyd is also running full out so she will be able to play in game 1.

Piph is on the sideline dribbling in slightly different gear, so it seems like she is participating, just not quite ready. So maybe we won't have to wait long to have everyone back in the line up.

Since they made that comment about not wanting to announce until Monday I hope there is still something in the works, even if it is just a big to replace Vaughn until she arrives, but if we only have two games until mid next week as long as Stokes can play some I'm sure we'll be OK.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/18/18 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Stokes is running in what looks like full practice gear so maybe the boot is a precaution, unless the injury happened later at this practice.

Where do you see Stokes?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/18/18 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Where do you see Stokes?

crap, am I seeing the wrong person. I thought she was furthest to the left.

Bringing up the rear in the race.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/18/18 4:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So for Sunday, no Vaughn and likely no Prince or Stokes. game is going to be ugly!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/18/18 5:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Where do you see Stokes?

crap, am I seeing the wrong person. I thought she was furthest to the left.

Bringing up the rear in the race.

That is Coleman

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/18/18 6:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’d be nice if we could get some Katie Smith sound today. MSG is televising all non-national TV games. You’d think they could manage a crew for one day to let (some undoubtedly disenchanted) fans know what the hell is going on with the team before the season starts so maybe a few more want to tune in.

After the craziness of the offseason we deserve that much.

PostPosted: 05/18/18 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:

I am assuming this is a very recent photo.

That picture is from Wednesday. There was other footage that showed Stokes participating fully in practice, so she had no problem at the time. Kiah probably injured herself later in the day.

In retrospect, yesterday was kind of odd. While we were all sitting here waiting for cuts, Katie Smith, T-Spoon, and eight players were at a community event during the afternoon. Does that mean the cuts were already made and management just kept us guessing for the hell of it? Razz Or did they have the two Allens, Russell, and Gray stay at home awaiting their fate? I can't imagine that decisions were made without Katie. So did they decide the cuts after she came back? Just weird to have a community event in the middle of cutdown day.

PostPosted: 05/18/18 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
It’d be nice if we could get some Katie Smith sound today. MSG is televising all non-national TV games. You’d think they could manage a crew for one day to let (some undoubtedly disenchanted) fans know what the hell is going on with the team before the season starts so maybe a few more want to tune in.

After the craziness of the offseason we deserve that much.

You are correct about what we deserve. Alas....

PostPosted: 05/18/18 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just an absolute log jam of slightly above average guards.
toad455

PostPosted: 05/18/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Just an absolute log jam of slightly above average guards.

Still would like to hear from Smith herself on why she kept Allen and cut Russell.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
zune69

PostPosted: 05/18/18 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So for Sunday, no Vaughn and likely no Prince or Stokes. game is going to be ugly!

Another opportunity for Zahui b to seize the moment.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/18/18 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Another opportunity for Zahui b to seize the moment.

I still think we'll be bringing in a post to replace temp. suspended Vaughn, or we'll see a decent amount of stretch 4 action with Coleman and R. Allen.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/18/18 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was probably a reason why Smith talked up Coleman as a post player. Saw this coming. I think it’s a potential disaster. Wasn’t it Coleman trying to guard Stevens in that game where she went off?

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/18/18 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

During training camp last season, there was discussion about the Liberty playing more of a run and gun style. Maybe that was Katie's goal, but it got scrapped by Laimbeer when things didn't develop quickly enough. Now that Smith is the boss, perhaps she's bringing it back. If not run and gun, the offense will at least be more movey-groovy. Either approach requires greater mobility, better passing skill, and more prolific outside shooting than they've displayed in the past. These attributes are most commonly associated with small line-ups, which may explain the roster composition.

I was very happy when Mercedes Russell fell into the Liberty's lap. However, even though preseason performances are always suspect, you still need to make a good impression if you're a bubble player. We couldn't see the games of course, but against Dallas, the numbers suggest that Russell didn't defend well against Stevens. Azura shot 8-11 to finish with 19 points. Meanwhile, Mercedes ended up tying Shay Murphy for a team worst plus/minus of -15 for the game. Then against LA, she managed only 2 points on 1-5 shooting against a weak post rotation of Kaylee Jensen, Taya Reimer, Kathryn Westbeld, and rusty Mistee Bass returning from pregnancy. This is significant because offense is supposed to be Russell's strength. It was her chance to shine, but Mercedes couldn't make it happen. One unimpressive outing on defense, and one unimpressive showing on offense. Russell needed to offset these performances by looking great in practice, but apparently she didn't do enough.

PostPosted: 05/18/18 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did you really post that Russell couldn’t defend Stevens well on the heels of my post where I said Coleman couldn’t defend Stevens well? Wouldn’t make sense for Russell to defend someone as mobile as Stevens. Russell was on Lewis whenever Lewis was on the court. I know Coleman was defending Stevens on at least a couple plays (one after Stevens blocked Coleman’s shot). I think defending Stevens was basically a team effort that the Liberty didn’t accomplish very well. Let’s take a look at the Stevens highlights from that game.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eLomKI5uLDo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 05/18/18 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To be fair to the Liberty, Hamblin and Lewis needed to be guarded as they are a handful and some of Zs shots hit the front of the rim and trickled in. So I wouldn’t jump off a cliff over 1 game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 59 of 90

Jump to: