RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Expansion and scheduling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/08/17 9:11 am    ::: Expansion and scheduling Reply Reply with quote

If the W added a 13th team, scheduling could be difficult if they want to maintain conference integrity and remain at a 34 game schedule.

The last time there were 13 teams, everybody played the teams in the opposite conference twice, the six team conference played everyone in conference four times, and the teams in the seven team conference played four against four of the teams in their conference and three against the rest. With the new playoff format, they probably aren't going to want to favor conference play so heavily.

However, an even distribution isn't possible with a 7/6 split. The closest you can get is have everybody play their in conference opponents three times and everyone out of conference twice then have the seven team conference play four of the six team conference teams a 3rd time while the six team conference plays five of the seven team conference teams a 3rd time. Seems simple, except 4x7=28 games the seven needs to play against the six while 5x6=30 games the six needs to play against the seven. You wind up with two of the six conference teams playing each other a 4th time and only playing four 3rd games against the seven conference.

Now they could just schedule without regard to conference, everybody gets three against 10 opponents and two against the other two, but I don't think the W is ready to just abandon the conferences altogether for scheduling.

The simplest solution would be to extend the schedule to 36 games, everyone plays everyone three times. That would mean paying the players more or reopening the CBA, neither of which would be appealing to the owners.

If there is expansion to 13 teams, it will be interesting to see how they decide to schedule.

NOTE that this is not a problem with other odd numbers. 15 and 17 work fine. With 15 everybody plays the other conference twice, the seven team division plays everyone in division three times, the eight team division plays three against six in conference teams and two against the other one. With 17 it's even easier; everybody plays two against everyone except they each get two in conference opponents a 3rd time. At 19 the W would have to extend the schedule or be OK with some teams playing each other only once.

PostPosted: 09/08/17 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about with 11 teams?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/08/17 12:45 pm    ::: Re: Expansion and scheduling Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Now they could just schedule without regard to conference, everybody gets three against 10 opponents and two against the other two, but I don't think the W is ready to just abandon the conferences altogether for scheduling.

The simplest solution would be to extend the schedule to 36 games, everyone plays everyone three times. That would mean paying the players more or reopening the CBA, neither of which would be appealing to the owners.

But they already have abandoned the conferences when it comes to scheduling. Everyone's playing everyone 3 times, with a random bonus game thrown in to keep us at 34 total. I agree that at 13 the most obvious thing would be to push up to 36 and play everyone three times, but if they can't/won't do that you just rotate the couple of teams that you only play twice each year.

Conferences have essentially been dumped at the moment.

PostPosted: 09/08/17 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I vote for 36 games, or just play every team 3 times with two teams randomly chosen that you only play twice.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 09/08/17 1:03 pm    ::: Re: Expansion and scheduling Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

But they already have abandoned the conferences when it comes to scheduling. Everyone's playing everyone 3 times, with a random bonus game thrown in to keep us at 34 total. I agree that at 13 the most obvious thing would be to push up to 36 and play everyone three times, but if they can't/won't do that you just rotate the couple of teams that you only play twice each year.

Conferences have essentially been dumped at the moment.

The 4th game is in conference for everyone. They don't have teams playing different numbers of conference games. So they haven't completely abandoned conferences yet.

I suppose they could schedule 7/6 by having everyone play out of conference opponents three times, having the seven team conference four in conference opponents three times and the other two twice, and having the six team conference play three opponents three times and the other two twice. That's more or less the opposite of what they did before, with teams playing more out of conference games than in. That seems awfully travel intensive, however.

PostPosted: 09/08/17 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
What about with 11 teams?

So you could have 3 games against every team and have (3 times 10) 4 left over, presumably for your conference foes.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/08/17 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is a little random and could lead to a lopsided win/loss situation but,

with 13 teams you could
play 5 teams 4 times 20 games
play 7 teams twice 14 games
for a total of 34 games with an even number of home and away games against each opponent.

Also not sure if you can get an even distribution of teams if everyone plays 5 teams 4 times so I might not of thought it all the way through.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 09/08/17 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course if they ditched the conferences with a 13th team in Houston by reactivating the Comets (PLLLLEASE Tilman Fertitta!!!) it could be done on a 36-game schedule easily. With a playoffs as stupid as they are by ignoring conference, why have them? 13 teams, 12 opponents, play every one 3 times.

Yeah it's adding 2 more games to the schedule, but the season is stupid short as it is.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/08/17 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

36 games would just seem logical.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bullsky

PostPosted: 09/08/17 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has Lisa Borders committed to any significant talks of expansion recently or did I miss something?

PostPosted: 09/08/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Has Lisa Borders committed to any significant talks of expansion recently or did I miss something?

Not publicly

PostPosted: 09/08/17 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Privately?

pilight

PostPosted: 09/08/17 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Privately?

It wouldn't be private if it got posted here, now would it?

PostPosted: 09/08/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are so good at being coy. Smile

toad455

PostPosted: 09/08/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure there's some interested ownership groups who have talked to Borders. But they may not have the full resources to put up a team.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/17 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or perhaps Lacob is calling the bluff of any team owners who say they don't want to let go of their franchise, but just might be happy to.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/08/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
You are so good at being coy. Smile

Has anybody seen Lisa Borders and Pilight in the same room at the same time? I didn't think so..... the Atlanta connection is just too big of a coincidence. Wink

People are probably wondering why you think they'd expand to 13 instead of waiting for 14.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/08/17 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bullsky wrote:

Not publicly

Isn't any possibility of expansion has to first go through the WNBA's Board Of Governors...which actually consist of the existing franchise owners?

PostPosted: 09/08/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
pilight wrote:
bullsky wrote:

Not publicly

Isn't any possibility of expansion has to first go through the WNBA's Board Of Governors...which actually consist of the existing franchise owners?

That's the final step. Lots of negotiations have to happen before it gets to that point.

PostPosted: 09/08/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I'm sure there's some interested ownership groups who have talked to Borders. But they may not have the full resources to put up a team.

Yeah, like Kobe who is worth about 350 million. He can't afford to break even on a couple million dollar investment that keeps many employed.

Rich guys like Kobe and LeBron who say they love and respect the WNBA need to start backing it up like Harry Conick, Jr.

Last edited by Shades on 09/08/17 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/08/17 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'd be a very nice publicity move - and a very cheap one in the scheme of things - for the new Houston Rockets owner to bring back the Comets.

PostPosted: 09/08/17 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It'd be a very nice publicity move - and a very cheap one in the scheme of things - for the new Houston Rockets owner to bring back the Comets.

I thought the same thing. $2.2 billion for the Rockets. Just add another $10 million to revive the Comets.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/17 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I thought the same thing. $2.2 billion for the Rockets. Just add another $10 million to revive the Comets.

You raise a very interesting point. It seems just within the realm of possibility that the new owner was told - buy a WNBA franchise and this will all go a lot quicker and smoother. I just hope we don't end up losing any good players. How many would be protected? It was six in the Dream draft.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/08/17 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

You raise a very interesting point. It seems just within the realm of possibility that the new owner was told - buy a WNBA franchise and this will all go a lot quicker and smoother. I just hope we don't end up losing any good players. How many would be protected? It was six in the Dream draft.

That sounds exactly like the thing the previous NBA President David Stern would say to anyone who bought a NBA franchise. But if I recall correctly, that's how Robert Johnson ended up owning the NBA Charlotte Hornets, only to be told that Stern wanted him to also own the WNBA Charlotte Sting as well, which Johnson didn't really want. I'm guessing Stern strong-armed Johnson into doing so.

Last edited by StevenHW on 09/08/17 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/17 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they tried it once......I actually hope they don't expand. Dream would likely have to chose between Dantas, Boyette or Holmes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: