RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 09/07/17 5:55 am    ::: Seattle Storm 2018 Reply Reply with quote

Notice this hadn't been opened up so well...my 5 Qs then Ill let the storm crazies take over...

Take Interim Tag off Klopp or start fresh?

What to do to get Stewie more scoring touches?

Langhorne: Help or hinder? How much value in trading and going more utilitarian at 5 to free up Stewie to become more positionless.

Final Flight for Bird? When is it and how do you prepare?

What/Who will it take to get this team to perform as dynamically on hardwood as it does on paper?

This team has the potential to ascend to the Lynx Sparks level sooner than later (and that's with assuming a replacement for Bird when she decides to retire) but this year was a disappointment. What needs to be fixed to get this team running on all 8 Cyllanders?

PostPosted: 09/07/17 6:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the assessment from the more hardcore followers of the team about Carolyn Swords?

I'm a fan of hers and want to know if she'll be back with the team next year.
toad455

PostPosted: 09/07/17 6:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Swords will be better off heading to another team that knows how to use her abilities.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 09/07/17 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess is that Klop goes. He got them into the playoffs but barely, followed by a quick exit. I can't figure out why this team isn't better, and I won't even try.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/07/17 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eric Thibault ?...K.Smith ?...C.Ross ?...Brian Winters ?...K.Lawson ?...B.Hammon ?

Trade the #5 pick for Coates ?...draft Deshields,Canada,or Russell with the #5 pick ?...trade Langhorne to phoenix for the #8 pick,then draft Nared,Billings,or Brown...trade Langhorne & KML to SA for Alexander & Coffey.

shontay33

PostPosted: 09/07/17 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle needs to build around Stewart and Lloyd. Find a pg to eventually replace Sue Bird as well. Keep Whitcomb. Not sure why Toga did not play much but I like her as a backup for Stewart. Everyone else is I would say to find a trade partner for. Keep Klop for another season or two to see how things go.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/07/17 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lloyd and DD on the same team would be entertaining but not for the sake of basketball.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/07/17 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They need Sylvia Fowles. Laughing Really though, a true solid center to hold down the middle...of course those don't grow on trees or I'd be selling them.

And as good as Loyd can be, there are times when she totally disappears - reminds me of Sugar Rodgers. All players have ups and downs but when the downs are so deep, it's hard to depend on them as your franchise player.

The obvious: need a PG for the post Sue Bird era.

I think they are entering that no man's land of being just good enough to not be in the lottery but not really complete enough to be really good. They probably would have been better off letting Boucek complete that downward spiral they were on and at least get them into the lottery.

- Amanda Gorman
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 09/07/17 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Storm has 2 very good players in Stewart and Loyd, but not much else, they would have been better off missing the playoffs and getting a top 4 pick, then they could have had a chance at a player like Mitchell.
Shades

PostPosted: 09/07/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
The Storm has 2 very good players in Stewart and Loyd, but not much else, they would have been better off missing the playoffs and getting a top 4 pick, then they could have had a chance at a player like Mitchell.

#5 pick isn't good enough?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/07/17 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

And as good as Loyd can be, there are times when she totally disappears - reminds me of Sugar Rodgers. All players have ups and downs but when the downs are so deep, it's hard to depend on them as your franchise player.

Yes, she does, but she hasn't been the only one. I've commented in game threads before that Seattle never seems to get a good game from all of the big 3. One of them is always MIA. Sometimes two are. Good example was last week's loss to Phoenix. Loyd goes 12-22 and scores 33 pts, and they waste that performance and lose with Stewart going 3-9 and Bird going 3-10. A couple days later they lose to the Mystics with Bird and Loyd both scoring 19 (5-9 and 6-13) but Stewart going 4-14. Week before they lost to Atlanta with Stewart and Bird ( and Langhorne) playing well and Loyd laying a 4-12 8 pt egg.

If they could get all three playing well consistently, they'd be really dangerous. But someone always seems to be asleep.

And they badly need a bona fide competent center who isn't shorter than most of the forwards. Depending on how she plays this year, I think Russell would be a good target for the draft for them.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/07/17 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2nd straight year they shoot themselves out the 1st round of the playoffs. They really another offensive threat preferably at SF or PF. Maybe take a look at Russell or Ariel Atkins with #5. Mitchell and Lloyd would not be a good combo with Stewie needing more shots.

PostPosted: 09/08/17 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yes, she does, but she hasn't been the only one. I've commented in game threads before that Seattle never seems to get a good game from all of the big 3. One of them is always MIA. Sometimes two are. Good example was last week's loss to Phoenix. Loyd goes 12-22 and scores 33 pts, and they waste that performance and lose with Stewart going 3-9 and Bird going 3-10. A couple days later they lose to the Mystics with Bird and Loyd both scoring 19 (5-9 and 6-13) but Stewart going 4-14. Week before they lost to Atlanta with Stewart and Bird ( and Langhorne) playing well and Loyd laying a 4-12 8 pt egg.

If they could get all three playing well consistently, they'd be really dangerous. But someone always seems to be asleep.

And they badly need a bona fide competent center who isn't shorter than most of the forwards. Depending on how she plays this year, I think Russell would be a good target for the draft for them.

I get what your saying but if the Storm had a decent bench then 2 of the 3 stars playing well should be enough to win the game. For example the Mercury win games with only Griner going off and Taurasi having a not so great game. They get points from their bench and that is the difference.

And yes we need a solid 6'3 or taller center who is a decent defender to take the pressure of Stewart in the post and fix our defense. If you cant trade Langhorne for someone decent then let her come off the bench and fix that bench scoring problem or atleast part of it.

Both Swords and Tokashiki where HORRIBLE THIS SEASON. So everytime we subbed either Stewart or Langhorne we took a huge step down.

Also im looking for Stewart to take that next step. She broke LJ's record of most 20+ pt games in the season which is fantastic but now im looking for her to be that closer and really win them tight games. Become unstoppable.
Taurasi said it best in an interview before their playoff game. Stewart is scary. She averages 20 pts per game already with just floating around. Wait till she really figures it out and takes over. I want her to take over and i want her to demand the ball and really be that clear number 1 option.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 09/08/17 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

Taurasi said it best in an interview before their playoff game. Stewart is scary. She averages 20 pts per game already with just floating around. Wait till she really figures it out and takes over.

I don't think it's about Stewart "figuring it out". I think Taurasi may have been taking a shot at the Seattle style of play or coaching staff.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/08/17 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

Both Swords and Tokashiki where HORRIBLE THIS SEASON. So everytime we subbed either Stewart or Langhorne we took a huge step down.

I didn't expect huge things from Swords. But I was surprised and disappointed in Tokashiki who had looked like she might really be that quality bench player or even the other starting forward, and instead completely vanished this year. That hurt.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/08/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tok definitely took a step back this season. In regards to Stewart, I wonder how much better she'll be under a better coach?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/17 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She looked pretty good when Geno was coaching her.

scrappy

PostPosted: 09/08/17 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I didn't expect huge things from Swords. But I was surprised and disappointed in Tokashiki who had looked like she might really be that quality bench player or even the other starting forward, and instead completely vanished this year. That hurt.

that's because boucek didn't use her correctly, or didn't use her at all.

PostPosted: 09/09/17 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Offseason plans: Storm needs a coach and to make decisions on several players

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/offseason-plans-storm-needs-a-coach-and-to-make-decisions-on-several-players/

Quote:
WNBA’s oldest player who turns 37 next month, is returning to the Storm next year for her 16th season.

However, it remains to be seen if interim coach Gary Kloppenburg will be retained.

Quote:
“It’s a top priority for the organization to bring in a head coach who can take us to the next level,” general manager Alisha Valavanis said.

Quote:
Valavanis heaped praise on Kloppenburg, saying he will be a candidate for the job.

Quote:
“I felt like with an entire year and a training camp and an ability to develop a pressure defensive system and an early up-tempo offense, I think it would be an exciting challenge. We’ll see how that shakes out.”

Quote:
The Storm has four free agents, including forward Crystal Langhorne, the team’s third-leading scorer who averaged 12.4 points per game and finished second in the WNBA with a 64.7 field-goal percentage.

Quote:
“It’s different,” said Langhorne, 30, who is a free agent for the first time in her 10-year career. “I’ve never been able to make my decision. … But I like Seattle.”

So they must mean she is no longer corable. Pilight, what does your data say?
She's obviously been a RFA and UFA before, so their wording is confusing here.

Quote:
The free-agency period begins Jan. 15 and the Storm will need to make decisions on backup guards Noelle Quinn and Sami Whitcomb, who are both free agents and expressed a desire to return.

Center Carolyn Swords is also a free agent whose future in Seattle is cloudy after she averaged career lows in scoring (2.6) and rebounding (1.5) following a three-team trade in which the Storm essentially gave away the No. 6 overall pick in the 2017 WNBA draft.

Percy is not mixing words.

Quote:
Bird added: “There’s a certain level of grit that teams need that we didn’t necessarily have this year.”

Quote:
“And then of course, there’s some question marks. We have to get a coach. Obviously with free agency, things change and rosters shake up so you’ve got to see how that all figures itself out.”

That's Bird saying we have to get a coach, instead of we have our coach. Things not looking good for Klop.

"See how the free agency figures itself out" is an interesting play on words, because the GM probably won't be able to figure it out.

Quote:
One thing is certain, Bird, who signed a multiyear contract extension in 2016, plans to retire with the Storm.

You know what they say about the best laid plans.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/09/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does she plan on going into coaching?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/09/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Langhorne can't have hit the 4-time core limit (I can't remember if it's two or three she's up to, but it's definitely not four considering the CBA lists everything up to 2014 and she's not on it). So she could be cored again if Seattle wanted to do it. Whitcomb obviously isn't a free agent considering she's only played one year in the WNBA. Even if she's out of contract, she'd be a reserved player assuming Seattle wanted her to be.

PostPosted: 09/09/17 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Langhorne can't have hit the 4-time core limit (I can't remember if it's two or three she's up to, but it's definitely not four considering the CBA lists everything up to 2014 and she's not on it). So she could be cored again if Seattle wanted to do it. Whitcomb obviously isn't a free agent considering she's only played one year in the WNBA. Even if she's out of contract, she'd be a reserved player assuming Seattle wanted her to be.

Storm should core her straight away

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
sportsfan48

PostPosted: 09/09/17 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, I think Seattle's biggest problem has been coaching. Not because they have had bad coaches but they don't have a coach with the right insight to make the team cohesive. Sometimes you have to have a coach that fits the players or vice versa.

Lloyd and Stewie are both players who are good enough to make plays on their own and without a solid game plan and plays that bring the two together, that is what they will do. Seattle always seems to play disorganized.

I think the best example of this is the Lakers when Kobie and Shaq were first together. They were both extremely talented but weren't very successful until Phil Jackson was hired. Phil Jackson is an amazing coach when he has the right players for his system. Not as good when he doesn't. I am not sure Kobie and Shaq would have been as successful without him.

Getting a solid big would not hurt either. In the game the other night, Brondello was clearly heard saying, "Stewart is out. They are going small." I am sure that most teams scouted that situation and planned for it.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/09/17 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle shot .473 from the field. Their problem was yielding an average of ten offensive rebounds per game. Throw in that they force very few turnovers and yielded 200 FGA more than their opponents. It suggests they have to fix personnel more than they need to fix coaching. 10 offensive rebounds per game is ridiculous, and that rate stayed the same when Klop took over.

PostPosted: 09/09/17 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like Seattle is one capable starter away from being a winning team. Swords was supposed to be that player, but wasn't. But I think there's a tipping point for teams like the Storm, once they can get enough consistent help from their non-stars, then the stars can actually go to work properly without quite so much attention and reliance on them.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: