RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 05/16/18 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, if I were a Storm fan hearing about KML's extension, the Loyd deal is what I'd want to focus on, too.

Yeah, KML has been a total bust. I keep hoping that one year she is going to show up and be a different player. I've seen it happen before (see Tanisha Wright and Allie Quigley), but more often than not they only get worse as they get older. An extension doesn't necessarily mean they have to keep her on the roster since I doubt there is any guaranteed money in that contract, so it just gives the Storm options. But I would love to find a better player to take that slot unless she has taken leaps and bounds from last year. And not showing up for preseason is a huge minus in my book.

-Lisa

#NATC

PostPosted: 05/16/18 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How much of Mosqueda-Lewis being a bust is on Boucek?

PostPosted: 05/16/18 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a couple of waives I can't can't really confirm but sound legit: Hillsman and McPhee

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 05/16/18 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

How much of Swords being a bust is one Boucek? For that matter, how much of the Storm being a disappointment for 2 years is on Boucek? Apparently, the GM thought a lot was her fault.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/16/18 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

How much of Swords being a bust is one Boucek? For that matter, how much of the Storm being a disappointment for 2 years is on Boucek? Apparently, the GM thought a lot was her fault.

I think KML made her own bed. She's there to shoot threes and so far has failed to do so at a good enough rate. Being out of shape doesn't help her do anything else that is useful, including defense. At this point I think there are multiple players who could shoot better than her so the extension makes zero sense. Maybe Dan just went back and looked at her college stats. Swords is another matter. We'll see if Bill can revive her career.

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/17/18 4:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Randy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

I think KML made her own bed. She's there to shoot threes and so far has failed to do so at a good enough rate. Being out of shape doesn't help her do anything else that is useful, including defense. At this point I think there are multiple players who could shoot better than her so the extension makes zero sense. Maybe Dan just went back and looked at her college stats. Swords is another matter. We'll see if Bill can revive her career.

Or Dan is basing it off of last season when she came back from overseas play in shape and played well before she got injured. We havent seen her play for a longer period while being in shape and not injured so im waiting on that before i write her off..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
tfan

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

GMs are backed into a corner sometimes with regard to a team not doing as well as hoped or as expected. Without significant injuries they either have to blame the coach or the players. Since they are responsible for assembling the team, they won't usually blame the players. And judging from this forum, fans seem to blame coaches much more than players for a team doing worse than average, so a GM may get rid of a coach to keep the fans happy.

Last edited by tfan on 05/17/18 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Randy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

GMs are backed into a corner sometimes with regard to a team not doing as well as hoped or as expected. Without significant injuries they either have to blame the coach or the players. Since they are responsible for assembling the team, they won't usually blame the players. And judging from this forum, fans seem to blame coaches much more than players for a team underperforming, so a GM may get rid of a coach to keep the fans happy.

I think the GM admitted she made a mistake of trading for Swords in the first place by letting her go and not retaining her

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
I think the GM admitted she made a mistake of trading for Swords in the first place by letting her go and not retaining her

I haven't been impressed with our GM since Karen Bryant left. And I think that Jenny wasn't that impressive of a coach as well. Combine the two, and you have the underperforming teams of recent years. Time will tell if Dan solves the coach problem at least.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess you can blame Boucek for some of KML's issues, but she's played 927 minutes in her WNBA career and made 32% of her three-pointers.

Maybe the coaching put her in bad situations so she missed more than she should, and maybe the coaching is responsible for her having 52 assists and 62 turnovers, or getting one steal every 60 minutes or so, but I'm going with the issue being KML and not Boucek.

No matter who the coach is, or what the system is, a player has to take advantage of the opportunities presented her, and make enough plays so that she gets more minutes and maybe even makes the coach adjust so she's in position to do what she's best at.

Of course some players have been negatively impacted by their coach, and maybe that's true in this case ... but KML had opportunities to make shots and handle the ball and play defense, and the eye test and the stats suggest she didn't do that great a job when given the chance.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KML has been pretty bad at this level. Boucek is a pretty bad coach. Both things can be true at the same time.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/17/18 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I asked the question only because I blame Boucek or whoever had the influence of drafting Mosqueda-Lewis at #3 with expectations to perform like a "normal lottery pick" when her skills were clearly limited (average ball handling, can't create her own shot, limited athlete, etc.). Then again, that 2015 Draft was shallow, IMO..

PostPosted: 05/17/18 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Drafting is such a crapshoot beyond the absolute superstars that I'm always hesitant to criticise most decisions, but even at the time Elizabeth Williams made glaringly more sense than KML - and over the following years where Seattle's desperately searched for a center it's only looked more like a screw-up. Maybe she follows the Shekinna Stricklen path of eventually finding the right spot on the right roster, but it's not looking great. Without meaningful development she's basically a shorter Jordan Hooper.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Without meaningful development she's basically a shorter Jordan Hooper.

Shorter and notably worse at the one thing they can supposedly do. There was almost a 10-point gap in their 3-point shooting percentages last year.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 05/17/18 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hindsight is easy. At the time Williams was not an obvious choice and did not show much until a few years in. Granted 2o15 was not a good draft but based on college careers what is now, was not what it was then.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/17/18 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Hindsight is easy. At the time Williams was not an obvious choice and did not show much until a few years in.

Plenty of people suggested Williams should be taken at #3 in the draft threads, so this isn't necessarily a "hindsight" situation.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
Hindsight is easy. At the time Williams was not an obvious choice and did not show much until a few years in.

Plenty of people suggested Williams should be taken at #3 in the draft threads, so this isn't necessarily a "hindsight" situation.

And a number of people thought KML was overrated or would struggle adjusting to the pros.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

And a number of people thought KML was overrated or would struggle adjusting to the pros.

Sounds familiar , some posters are being quite critical of her due to her lack of certain qualities and yet they praise others who have less ability than she does. The fat lady is singing !! Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 05/17/18 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

Sounds familiar , some posters are being quite critical of her due to her lack of certain qualities and yet they praise others who have less ability than she does. The fat lady is singing !! Laughing Laughing

At some point you have to produce(KML,Zuhui b,etc..)

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/17/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

Yeah, I remember discussing on Twitter on the day of the draft how EWill seemed like a much better fit, and how if you're taking KML instead you better be pretty damn convinced she's significantly better. As I mentioned in the previous message, this one isn't just hindsight.

PostPosted: 05/17/18 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plenty of people also said Williams would struggle in the W like she did initially.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/17/18 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Mosqueda-Lewis is not tall for her position, doesn't have long arms, and isn't quick. In fact, she appears below average in all three metrics. Boucek couldn't change that. Seems that Mosqueda-Lewis got a draft boost from being a starter on a dominant team. Also much easier to get open three pointers and shoot a high percentage on a dominant team.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/17/18 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This article says that all the WNBA GMs didn't think KML could defend in the WNBA. Auriemma is quoted as saying that it has to be the right fit or she will do terrible. The right fit being a team that can get her open looks. A dominant team.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/18 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KML would make a dominant WNBA team less dominant. Could you imagine replacing Maya with KML? Tank City, y’all

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 05/17/18 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm should pick up Larkin's off of waivers.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 15 of 20

Jump to: