RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/07/18 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well if Seattle does not get a tall post player in the draft then they might be lottery bound for 2019.

PostPosted: 03/07/18 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Well if Seattle does not get a tall post player in the draft then they might be lottery bound for 2019.

A few lucky ping-pong balls and an early-declaration later, Minnesota get to replace Whalen with Sabrina Ionescu... Wink

PostPosted: 03/07/18 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

I already have them penciled in for the 2019 lottery. Stevens on the Storm? Likely.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
justintyme

PostPosted: 03/07/18 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

A few lucky ping-pong balls and an early-declaration later, Minnesota get to replace Whalen with Sabrina Ionescu... Wink

Good Lord. The site would crash between posts from cocky Lynx fans, angry Storm fans, annoyed fans of all the other teams, and Spacejunkie's lofty expectations that the team will inevitably fail to meet... Wink Cool

PostPosted: 03/07/18 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I already have them penciled in for the 2019 lottery. Stevens on the Storm? Likely.

I actually like Stevens on the Storm , but can she play beside stewie ? Toad What do you think ?

PostPosted: 03/07/18 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Only if they're going to get her with the 11th or 12th pick they're likely to get after Minnesota's swap.

PostPosted: 03/07/18 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Good Lord. The site would crash between posts from cocky Lynx fans, angry Storm fans, annoyed fans of all the other teams, and Spacejunkie's lofty expectations that the team will inevitably fail to meet... Wink Cool

If the Storm struggle this year, I think I'm going to be more excited about PPs than WNBA 09 was last year (or at least until other teams became better at losing than the Wings by the end of the year).

toad455

PostPosted: 03/07/18 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And, IMO, Langhorne would have been better off requesting a trade to Chicago. Goes back to starting at PF with a deep team. Could have been Langhorne for Parker & Copper?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/07/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Actually, it wouldn't be since the Lynx have the right to swap picks. But I am continually amazed by folks who relegate a team with Breanna Stewart, Jewell Loyd and Sue Bird (who has taken her health to a higher level) as a guaranteed lottery team. Getting Natasha Howard and Courtney Paris were improvements to the bench over Carolyn Swords and Ramu Tokashiki. I watched Aleksandra Crvendakic and she is going to beat out KML for the backup SF spot. I agree that Dan Hughes might be old school but he's an upgrade over Jenny Boucek and her positionless system/overplaying starters. Look at how they responded when Gary Kloppenburg took over. Even if they miss the playoffs, they will be clearly better than Las Vegas and Indiana and certainly better than last year.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/07/18 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
And, IMO, Langhorne would have been better off requesting a trade to Chicago. Goes back to starting at PF with a deep team. Could have been Langhorne for Parker & Copper?

I too would like to see her moved and a different, taller player brought in to back up at center. Just the little tidbits I hear on occasion let me know that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than we know. Lots of trade explorations which mostly don't come to pass. I have no clue what could happen but I'm really hoping something does.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/07/18 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Actually, it wouldn't be since the Lynx have the right to swap picks. But I am continually amazed by folks who relegate a team with Breanna Stewart, Jewell Loyd and Sue Bird (who has taken her health to a higher level) as a guaranteed lottery team. Getting Natasha Howard and Courtney Paris were improvements to the bench over Carolyn Swords and Ramu Tokashiki. I watched Aleksandra Crvendakic and she is going to beat out KML for the backup SF spot. I agree that Dan Hughes might be old school but he's an upgrade over Jenny Boucek and her positionless system/overplaying starters. Look at how they responded when Gary Kloppenburg took over. Even if they miss the playoffs, they will be clearly better than Las Vegas and Indiana and certainly better than last year.

People, like me, are in awe of the Atlanta becoming THE DREAM TEAM after they signed the some of the world's GREATEST players in Renee Montgomery and Jessica Breland to go along with Angel McCoughtry, the Wings adding Liz Cambage, and the Sky still have Vandersloot & Dolson, and two lottery picks. And maybe Bill Laimbeer will make the Aces competitve, especially if their #1 pick can produce right away. The only team we know for sure is worse than the Storm for 2018 is the Fever. (I can't even say the Lynx will be worse than the Storm this year).

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/07/18 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I realize they have basically the same team as last year (though I do think Howard and Paris will give them a little lift) but I think their two best players are still young and both Stewart and Loyd can be much better than last season. I think Stewart will be an MVP candidate in 2018 and the Storm will still be a playoff team, but I realize I'm in the minority.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/07/18 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I realize they have basically the same team as last year (though I do think Howard and Paris will give them a little lift) but I think their two best players are still young and both Stewart and Loyd can be much better than last season. I think Stewart will be an MVP candidate in 2018 and the Storm will still be a playoff team, but I realize I'm in the minority.

I do think they've got a chance to be good. Stewart and/or Loyd could take a leap, Bird could stay healthy another year, Howard could thrive in a larger role, and Hughes could be a big upgrade on Boucek. That team could be a 3 or 4 seed, never mind anywhere near the lottery. But they've also got a chance to be really ordinary again. Hughes is just a different kind of meh from Boucek; Stewart and Loyd are good again without much help; they don't stay as healthy as last year; defense and turnovers are still issues; and with improvements elsewhere that means they go backwards. McCoughtry, Cambage and Bonner (and Chiney, hopefully) are back, Chicago are more settled with more talent... being similarly ordinary again could mean 10th or 11th in the league.

That's why I wasn't keen on the Howard trade - I'm not sure scenario A is liklier than scenario B by enough to warrant the risk.

PostPosted: 03/07/18 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I do think they've got a chance to be good. Stewart and/or Loyd could take a leap, Bird could stay healthy another year, Howard could thrive in a larger role, and Hughes could be a big upgrade on Boucek. That team could be a 3 or 4 seed, never mind anywhere near the lottery. But they've also got a chance to be really ordinary again. Hughes is just a different kind of meh from Boucek; Stewart and Loyd are good again without much help; they don't stay as healthy as last year; defense and turnovers are still issues; and with improvements elsewhere that means they go backwards. McCoughtry, Cambage and Bonner (and Chiney, hopefully) are back, Chicago are more settled with more talent... being similarly ordinary again could mean 10th or 11th in the league.

That's why I wasn't keen on the Howard trade - I'm not sure scenario A is liklier than scenario B by enough to warrant the risk.

Yeah, I'm hopeful because I like Seattle and think Stewart is about to become a top player (And I'm also not a big fan of the idea of Minnesota getting a lottery pick) but everything you've said is true.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/07/18 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

All big yeps. Another factor though in the human one. The Storm are about to be exiled for two years. What happened here is the Storm at least moved the needle in free agency. I can't say if they could have done better but at least they showed they were trying to improve.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/08/18 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, the last time I remember this feeling of "I kinda get why you want what you got in this trade, but I'm really not sure you should be this confident of being good" was that Liberty/Sparks/Lynx mess where New York got Sidney Spencer and it ultimately cost them Tina Charles.

And New York went 19-15 the year before the one where they were convinced they were going to be good - Seattle were only 15-19 last year.

PostPosted: 03/08/18 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Also, the last time I remember this feeling of "I kinda get why you want what you got in this trade, but I'm really not sure you should be this confident of being good" was that Liberty/Sparks/Lynx mess where New York got Sidney Spencer and it ultimately cost them Tina Charles.

And New York went 19-15 the year before the one where they were convinced they were going to be good - Seattle were only 15-19 last year.

Definitely worry about that 2019 swap. I don't think the Storm are a real hard-ass negotiator especially against the Lynx. No matter: if they are not top 6, a number of fans are going to lose patience regardless of what next year brings. Too many other things to do in Seattle in the summer. Even the Mariners are starting to see that bad teams lose fans.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/08/18 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

If the Storm struggle this year, I think I'm going to be more excited about PPs than WNBA 09 was last year (or at least until other teams became better at losing than the Wings by the end of the year).

Omg i miss PP's Laughing Laughing Hopefully i wont need to rely on them so much anymore , but who knows. Big foot sightings are still rare , hopefully the urban legend becomes a mainstay reality !

PostPosted: 03/08/18 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Storm should change their name to Middleville. They will forever be stuck in the middle. Not great enough to win a championship and not bad enough for a lottery pick.

PostPosted: 03/08/18 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
The Storm should change their name to Middleville. They will forever be stuck in the middle. Not great enough to win a championship and not bad enough for a lottery pick.

Yep. Life's tough with three No. 1 draft picks .

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/08/18 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Indiana, New York are actually more recent examples of that. NY has drafted 10th in the the last few drafts yet not won a single playoff series. Indiana just got its first lottery pick in a dozen years. The Storm, meanwhile, got some in 2015 and 2016.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/08/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Indiana, New York are actually more recent examples of that. NY has drafted 10th in the the last few drafts yet not won a single playoff series. Indiana just got its first lottery pick in a dozen years. The Storm, meanwhile, got some in 2015 and 2016.

Not some lottery picks - the No. 1 pick in consecutive years. The Storm have gotten more No. 1 picks than any other team in league history. There are teams who have never drafted a player as good as anyone in the group of Jackson, Bird, and Steward - and that doesn't even consider a fourth No. 1 pick.

If you have that record, you don't get to complain about where you draft. (See also: Phoenix)

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/08/18 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Not some lottery picks - the No. 1 pick in consecutive years. The Storm have gotten more No. 1 picks than any other team in league history. There are teams who have never drafted a player as good as anyone in the group of Jackson, Bird, and Steward - and that doesn't even consider a fourth No. 1 pick.

If you have that record, you don't get to complain about where you draft. (See also: Phoenix)

I wasn't complaining Very Happy If you look at the Jackson/Bird picks, it took Lauren 3 years to become excellent. Stewie is there right now. We saw what Jewell could do in the first weekend of the season. What happened after that was that Boucek told her in no uncertain terms that she (and Whitcomb backing her up) were the third options behind Stewie and Bird. If you watch them play, both of them became hesitant shooters as they were constantly looking to see if a pass was available. It's part of why I am higher on this year than some others: I think they will be allowed to play more loosely.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/08/18 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

If i remember correctly, people on this board predicted the Storm to be in the lottery or close to it when they became champions in 2010. Its all about staying healthy and finding the right puzzle pieces to compliment your core. If Stewart has a MVP season and Bird stays healthy then i dont see them in the lottery.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/08/18 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

If i remember correctly, people on this board predicted the Storm to be in the lottery or close to it when they became champions in 2010. Its all about staying healthy and finding the right puzzle pieces to compliment your core. If Stewart has a MVP season and Bird stays healthy then i dont see them in the lottery.

And last year, the fact that Phoenix came in with Taurasi, a Griner who hadn't lived up to expectations and 10 newbies was cause for concern. Sometimes, all you need is one player with potential to figure it out to take a team very far. Not saying the Storm will, just that they could.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 9 of 20

Jump to: