44%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 38

zune69

PostPosted: 09/10/17 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Sun just fell apart in the 4th. Now watch Phoenix will completely fall apart in the semis again.

This _____x

They're not playing Minnesota.

This was posted before new york.loss btw so now its obvious they're not playing minny now

No,you posted this after the liberty lost....6:56 to be exact...Liberty game started a little after 5pm,and lasted 1:48.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/10/17 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

I don't see how Sandy can be both. If this is a shitty roster (which on paper, it does kinda look like) then she has done very well to win this many games with it IMO.
The D-Rob trade seems regrettable, but I don't think too many people counted on her being this disappointing once healthy.

The mercury won those games because 1.Brittney Griner/Diana Taurasi,and 2.It was a down year for multiple teams(Ind,Chi,Atl,Sea)....I'll give Brondello credit for Mitchell and Turner.However,Robinson,Goerge,Talbot,and Little have been underwhelming for most of the season.Cannon makes too many bone headed decisions,and has horrible hands.I thought Prince was a good pickup in the draft.Unfortunately Brondello never gave her an opportuniity.

And Brondello's coaching leaves a lot to be desired.

1.Too many possession where Griner/Taurasi aren't touching the basketball.Griner/Taurasi took a combined 2 fg's & 2 ft's the first 7 minutes of the 4th quarter.

2.The lack of creativity on offense.When Currie's being guarded by smaller defenders,why not post her up ?.....Run a little more pick and roll between Taurasi/Griner or Taurasi/Little.

3.Diana with the cheap stupid ill-advised fouls*

4.Griner not boxing out.Reaching/hand checking on smaller players*

*Diana/Brittney don't pull this crap when they're playing for Geno.......Brondello gives her players too much rope imo.

Last edited by zune69 on 09/10/17 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/10/17 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Sun just fell apart in the 4th. Now watch Phoenix will completely fall apart in the semis again.

This _____x

They're not playing Minnesota.

This was posted before new york.loss btw so now its obvious they're not playing minny now

No,you posted this after the liberty lost....6:56 to be exact...Liberty game started a little after 5pm,and lasted 1:48.

I made my post after the sun loss not when the liberty loss i know what i said thanks though!

PostPosted: 09/11/17 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

I used to pay to go to games to root for a team, but that team doesn't exist any more. Now, I pay to go to games to root for players. The idea of paying to root against somebody strikes me as counterintuitive.

Your intuition needs a tune up. The majority of sports fans LOVE to cheer against the villain, and Phoenix has two villains. People love to see us fail....but they can't see us fail if they don't tune in, right?

Cheering against a team, and paying to cheer against a team are totally not the same thing. I would pay to go see Monarchs/Dream to root for the Monarchs. I would watch Storm/Dream at home, and root against the Storm... I ain't paying to go to Storm/Dream, just to root against the Storm, that's berserk. When I was stationed in Bremerton, I would go to Monarchs/Storm games, and root for the Monarchs, but I wasn't going to any other games: for who, and for what? I'm going to give this team my money, just to go boo them? Boy, that'll show 'em! They're only getting my money if there's a player and/or team that I want to root for.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/11/17 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
wow. I have been watching for 21 years and I can assure you, there are people who love to hate DT, and now Britt, and the Tanker Mercury. They pay to go boo her every time she touches the ball, and boo the team and cheer for them to lose. it's fun for them. You don't get that I can't help you.

I feel the need to enter this basically silly debate. As a longtime Duke WBB fan, I lived through the Alana Beard/Diana Taurasi debate in college. While I lobbied HARD for Alana to get the POY awards over DT, Diana, the person, won me over. It's that "je ne sais quoi" ability she has to be in the moment on and off the court. The ability - on and off the court - to shine most under the most pressure. On the court is indisputable - especially now with her amazing WNBA and National Team performances. Off the court, for me is summed up when she came to play Duke in Cameron Indoor Stadium, rocking with the Crazies. The crazies tried every trick they knew to get under her skin and she flipped everything on its' head. Like when she was the focal point for every mean-spirited crazy in the building, she looked up, smiled BIG and put her hand to her ear, as in "call me." Duke fans could not help themselves and broke out in laughter.

My relationship with the Mercury is complicated as well. Some of my very favorite WNBA fans are Mercury fans - they know how to have fun! In the WNBA, I have been a fan of the closest team geographically - the Sting, then Mystics. I'm a native of Los Angeles but could not stand My Little Pony (La Leslie) so didn't have a dog in the Phoenix/LA hate-a-thon. Then there was Cappie, probably my least favorite of the all time WNBA greats (yes, below La Leslie), so I did root against HER, and therefore the Mercury. Did I say it was complicated?

Bottom line is I love the games of Diana and Brittney and I love them both as the people they are. I love Mercury fans. I root against the Mercury and simultaneously want Dee and Britt to play great/screw the pooch. I would pay to watch them in person anywhere I could get to. I wanted the Sun to win - I just fell in love with this team. Yet, I'm not disappointed that the Mercury dug deep and pulled out the win as it was a great showcase for women's basketball.

Bottom line for me: I will turn on any game Dee and Brittney are in. I will root for AND against them. I think they're great for the sport I love.

This is so silly. People CLEARLY love to watch Taurasi and Griner. But, just as clearly, not all who watch them want them to win. Arguing against the number of people who want to watch them play is flat out silly. And arguing that the Mercury have some kind of unearned advantage because of the large number of people who want to watch Dee and Britt is nonsense. As I stated earlier, I would have been thrilled if the upstart Sun had beat the two headed monster of the Mercury. But I smile at the genius that makes them both winners.

~rAf
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/11/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since the game discussion seems to be in eclipse with the Phoenix having flown into the Sun and blotted it out, I'd like to comment on this discussion about the reasons to attend a basketball game.

The primary reason, far and away, is to root in person for the team you root for. No doubt. And it's always been that way.

But there are other reasons to attend a game, even if you don't root for either team or for or against any player on either team.

Two examples:

First, when I was a teen in NYC, my friends and I always attended part of the Holiday Festival, Milk Fund, and NIT tournaments at Madison Square Garden. You could sometimes see four college games a day. But we weren't fans of ANY of those teams. We, as fans of the game of basketball, just wanted to see them and their star players, largely because there was no other way to do so. These teams were virtually never on television. If you wanted to see Max "the Magician" Perry, Jack "the Shot" Foley, Oscar "the Big O" Robertson, "Hot Rod" Hundley, "Jumping" Johnny Green, the Stith brothers, Jerry "30-30" Lucas, Chet "the Jet" Walker, Billy "the Hill" McGill, John "Hondo" Havlicek, and the perennial Garden favorite, the magical Lenny Wilkens -- you had to go see them in person.

It was glorious, exciting, forever memorable.

Tangentially, I haven't been able to afford to see basketball games in Madison Square Garden for many years now, even though I've probably made more than an average income for periods of my life, yet I could afford to see those college games as well as Knicks games at MSG games when I was an impoverished high school and college student. WHY IS THAT, SERIOUSLY?

Secondly, about 12 years ago i started going to girl's high school basketball games, not because I was a fan (or hater) of any team or player, but simply as a general fan of the game who wanted to see certain players who I thought might be interesting. I became a fan of some of these players but not of others. Then I got into videoing games and interviewing players, simply because it seemed to be interesting.

I suppose a common thread in my two personal experience examples is that I was able to see players who were not otherwise readily available to be seen -- whereas most WBB fans have seen most WNBA players ad tedium if not ad nauseum.
caune

PostPosted: 09/11/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you both for summing this all up nicely. Now on to trying to beat the dreaded Hell A Sparks Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 09/11/17 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd LOVE to see Phoenix play in person, win or lose! I live on the East Coast and have never seen them play in person. Maybe one day I will get to see them in person if I can get the plane/hotel money together. I will be watching on tv tho.

Go Merc!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: