Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/15/18 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Randy wrote:
This season in the WNBA probably gives her a big increase on whatever the next contract she signs is. Who wouldn't want a player that scored 53 points in the WNBA game? Bad news for Dallas but even without Cambage they have a team as good as most with the right coaching. Maybe Johnson could play the 5 in the same way that undersized players like Howard and Sanders are doing. Stevens at the 4. If Christmas comes back Gray and Diggins along with a good draft pick they should be fine. Despite all the points and rebounds Liz has not helped Dallas improve its record over last season. They need a good coach more than they need Liz.

I'd love to see her stick around - she is one of my favorites but I get what she is saying.

I agree with this, I’m not really sold on Gray being an impact player tho, the wings will need someone who could go off consistently in the draft if they want to still be competitive next year without Liz. Maybe they could move up and take Durr in the draft.

At absolute worst they're going to be picking 5th. They might not need to move up.

PostPosted: 08/15/18 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I think there's a 80/20 chance Liz doesn't comeback to the WNBA in 2019. Greg Bibb probably wants to get into the lottery for Brown or McCowan

Assuming Dallas misses the playoffs, they would likely have the worst lottery odds. Currently, they total one more win than the Liberty over two years and NY also has the tiebreaker (current year record). If neither lucks into a top two pick from the draw, then NY gets #3 and Dallas gets #4. That's probably not high enough for McCowan or Brown.

PostPosted: 08/15/18 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I think there's a 80/20 chance Liz doesn't comeback to the WNBA in 2019. Greg Bibb probably wants to get into the lottery for Brown or McCowan

Winning a championship would make Cambage less grumpy, and help her recoup some of those fines.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PRballer

PostPosted: 08/15/18 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was pitched a winning team and organization in Dallas and it didn't happen. I don't blame her at all. There isn't money to entice her, then why should she play in a foreign summer league?

Would like the WNBA to have her in it, but this season didn't seem particularly fun for the Dallas players.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/15/18 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure what she makes in the WNBL, but money and fame wise, plus making herself better and stronger for the Opals, wouldn’t that be the league to skip? Is she just going play one league a year?

toad455

PostPosted: 08/15/18 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she's unhappy in Dallas, why not request a trade? She'd love Vegas. Cambage to Vegas for their first round pick, McBride and Park?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/15/18 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
If she's unhappy in Dallas, why not request a trade? She'd love Vegas. Cambage to Vegas for their first round pick, McBride and Park?

She did not say shes unhappy in Dallas , She's unhappy with the WNBA pay . So that includes all 12 teams Confused

PostPosted: 08/15/18 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

She did not say shes unhappy in Dallas , She's unhappy with the WNBA pay . So that includes all 12 teams Confused

After 2019, she'd be a RFA and could actually make more $$$.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/15/18 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

After 2019, she'd be a RFA and could actually make more $$$.

Again, she's already making the max.

PostPosted: 08/15/18 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She'd stay if she had a Sugar Daddy like Mark Cuban.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/16/18 2:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Not sure what she makes in the WNBL, but money and fame wise, plus making herself better and stronger for the Opals, wouldn’t that be the league to skip? Is she just going play one league a year?

According to the article she is playing in China after the World Championships and will be back in Australia sometime in February so she is already skipping the WNBL season.

And a couple of people have mentioned she is using the WNBA to get bigger contracts overseas, but has she signed a contract since playing in the WNBA or did she sign to play in China before the WNBA season started making what she did in the WNBA irrelevant to what kind of contract she was offered.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/16/18 4:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Wings without Cambage next season are a lottery team. Who's the starting starting? Their draft pick? Plaisance?

zune69

PostPosted: 08/16/18 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The Wings without Cambage next season are a lottery team. Who's the starting starting? Their draft pick? Plaisance?

I disagree...

G-Diggins
G-Gray
C-Glory
F-Stevens
F-Christmas
6-Top 5 draft pick(Durr/KLS/Collier0
7-Hill
8-Thornton
9-Plaisance
10-Davis

Sign or trade for 1 or 2 players.

If Dallas can bring in a competent HC and play a different style of basketball where everyone contributes,they can definitely make the playoffs....Dallas made the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 seasons without Cambage right?....They also have the option of trading Johnson/Davis for a post/wing and back up PG.

Johnson avg 14.9p & 9.1r in 2017...and is 12.7p/8.1r for her career.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/16/18 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

And a couple of people have mentioned she is using the WNBA to get bigger contracts overseas, but has she signed a contract since playing in the WNBA or did she sign to play in China before the WNBA season started making what she did in the WNBA irrelevant to what kind of contract she was offered.

Shades wrote:
Chinese club Shanxi signed Cambage.

Shades made this post on June 28th...14 games into the season.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/16/18 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s Cambage nature to complain. She was complaining about China too.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/liz-cambage-finds-playing-in-china-a-culture-shock-on-and-off-the-court/story-fndekpx4-1226567726544?sv=dcb42946b4e3082fdbb2e46b04da64c1

Quote:
"It's just another day of China craziness. I'm not surprised by anything over here.''

That includes the food, where live monkeys are on display at restaurants, and not because they are cute. Her teammates keep crabs in their bathtubs, just in case they need an afternoon snack.

Quote:
"I've probably eaten a few dogs, to be honest. They tell me it's beef, but I really don't know. I don't even want to think about it.'

Playing in China apparently made Cambage miss playing in Ameriker.

Quote:
"I haven't been back to America for two years," she said. "The Olympics and playing in China has made me a lot stronger and smarter. I'm excited to go back.''

Randy

PostPosted: 08/16/18 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those comments about China make her sound like the Ugly Australian.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/16/18 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

This year, they seem to be a lottery team with her.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/16/18 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Relying on Liz Cambage -- who seems to be a somewhat immature 20something with immense basketball talent -- is not a solid long-term strategy.

She will do what she wants to do, when she wants to do it, and no one really has any leverage. She can always get a job that pays her well, and will be able to do so for a long time, so she doesn't need the WNBA or China or the WNBL.

Granted, she has to play somewhere, but it's not like a team is going to give up on her. Let's say she decides not to play in the WNBA for three years -- what would be her odds of getting a max salary in year four?

She's a great player, the best center in the world I think, and on the court, plays hard and wants to win. Any team would love to have her -- but any team that counts on her is taking a very big gamble.

PostPosted: 08/16/18 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas should build around Diggins,Stevens and their 2019 1st rd pick...If Liz decides to show up.Dallas can integrate her into the offense as one of the top 3 options.

Mojo

PostPosted: 08/16/18 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I disagree...

G-Diggins
G-Gray
C-Glory
F-Stevens
F-Christmas
6-Top 5 draft pick(Durr/KLS/Collier0
7-Hill
8-Thornton
9-Plaisance
10-Davis

Sign or trade for 1 or 2 players.

If Dallas can bring in a competent HC and play a different style of basketball where everyone contributes,they can definitely make the playoffs....Dallas made the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 seasons without Cambage right?....They also have the option of trading Johnson/Davis for a post/wing and back up PG.

Johnson avg 14.9p & 9.1r in 2017...and is 12.7p/8.1r for her career.

Thornton is my Most Improved Player for the year and has starter stats

Tally24

PostPosted: 08/16/18 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find Cambage's attitude tiring. She is talented, no denying that, but her lack of commitment is a total non-starter for me.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/16/18 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Relying on Liz Cambage -- who seems to be a somewhat immature 20something with immense basketball talent -- is not a solid long-term strategy.

She will do what she wants to do, when she wants to do it, and no one really has any leverage. She can always get a job that pays her well, and will be able to do so for a long time, so she doesn't need the WNBA or China or the WNBL.

Granted, she has to play somewhere, but it's not like a team is going to give up on her. Let's say she decides not to play in the WNBA for three years -- what would be her odds of getting a max salary in year four?

She's a great player, the best center in the world I think, and on the court, plays hard and wants to win. Any team would love to have her -- but any team that counts on her is taking a very big gamble.

Dallas has Erin Phillips (2017 Director of Player & Franchise Development; 2018 Assistant Coach). Cambage and Phillips reunited in Dallas, eight years after they first met as teammates on Australia's national basketball team.

Inside the sisterly bond that reunited Liz Cambage and Erin Phillips with the Dallas Wings
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2018/05/11/inside-sisterly-bond-reunited-liz-cambage-erin-phillips-dallas-wings

If having that kind of friend (and former teammate) and countrywoman as an assistant coach cannot be a draw for Cambage or if Phillips cannot help Cambage develop a greater sense of professionalism and increased maturity as it pertains to Camabge as a basketball player (and specifically with respect to the WNBA), I doubt anyone will. Not even Phoenix's Penny Taylor.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/16/18 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
I find Cambage's attitude tiring. She is talented, no denying that, but her lack of commitment is a total non-starter for me.

And im sure the WNBA pay is tiring for her as well . Why commit to something that you dont really need to be involved with ? She has no ties nor obligations to play in america. She's being straight forward about it , nothing wrong with that. They dont pay so she doesn't feel the need to always come over and play. Blame the W not her attitude. Im a wings STH and it hurts me more than any to hear her speak this , but it shouldn't be a reflection of her more so of the WNBA and what obviously needs to improve.

PostPosted: 08/18/18 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Shades wrote:
Chinese club Shanxi signed Cambage.

Shades made this post on June 28th...14 games into the season.

Thanks I tried a couple of google searches and couldn't find a date for when she signed.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/18/18 6:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it somewhat hard to believe now that Cambage won't play next season. Here emotion & love for this team really showed after last night's game. Hopefully Diggins, Phillips, etc. talk to her after the season ends. Plus, didn't she sign a multi-year contract?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 39 of 41

Jump to: