RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 10/23/17 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is she old enough for retirement or just wanting a change? Wish her well.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/23/17 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

She's 46. Is that old enough for retirement?

PostPosted: 10/23/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

Any age is old enough for retirement if you have the money.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/23/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That release would suggest that Fred Williams is going to get the chance to maintain his streak of one-of-the-worst-two-defenses-in-the-WNBA alive next season. They obviously don't all belong to Fred, but Dallas/Tulsa's streak currently stands at a mind-boggling eight seasons. The last eight years their defense has been 11th, 12th, 12th, 12th, 11th, 11th, 12th and 11th in the WNBA. It's kind of incredible. The last time they weren't bottom-two they were playing in Detroit and Laimbeer was in charge.

The last four are Fred's, and I continue to think it's pretty ridiculous that he's still in a job.

PostPosted: 10/23/17 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

so she not retiring because is old - but rather coaching is getting old.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 10/24/17 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Theresa Plaisance tore her ACL in Poland on October 8. Temi Fagbenle's taken her spot in the rotation.

shontay33

PostPosted: 10/24/17 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
That release would suggest that Fred Williams is going to get the chance to maintain his streak of one-of-the-worst-two-defenses-in-the-WNBA alive next season. They obviously don't all belong to Fred, but Dallas/Tulsa's streak currently stands at a mind-boggling eight seasons. The last eight years their defense has been 11th, 12th, 12th, 12th, 11th, 11th, 12th and 11th in the WNBA. It's kind of incredible. The last time they weren't bottom-two they were playing in Detroit and Laimbeer was in charge.

The last four are Fred's, and I continue to think it's pretty ridiculous that he's still in a job.

When we look at coaches, and complain, we have to ask, who would be a better replacement? Its not like coaches are running to get jobs in the WNBA. Especially when in some cases, they don't get to pick players that fit their system the GM does that. Some GM work with coaches but they still have the final say so.

In the case of Dallas, what available coaches(that are not under contract with any teams at the moment) are there to coach this team that will give better results?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/24/17 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
When we look at coaches, and complain, we have to ask, who would be a better replacement? Its not like coaches are running to get jobs in the WNBA. Especially when in some cases, they don't get to pick players that fit their system the GM does that. Some GM work with coaches but they still have the final say so.

In the case of Dallas, what available coaches(that are not under contract with any teams at the moment) are there to coach this team that will give better results?

I find that difficult to answer because two of the most recent hires - Curt Miller and Amber Stocks - are people I'd basically never heard of until they got their head coaching jobs (and I'd bet that's also the case for a large proportion of WNBA fans). Miller won Coach of the Year in his second season, and after a rocky start Stocks looked like she'd started working things out as her first year wore on. Those two suggest that there are coaches out there worth giving a chance, if you fancy going to look or them (and without dipping into the pool of whatever retreads are currently out of work).

After four years I just feel like someone else should be getting the chance to fix Dallas's defense. Fred hasn't shown any signs of being abe to do it, or being able to hire someone as an assistant who can do it. Good coaches can typically build a decent team defense from almost any collection of halfway-decent players. At the very least they can make them bad, rather than terrible. Given four freaking years? You should pretty much fluke into at least the 10th-best defense in the league one year or another.

PostPosted: 10/24/17 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Problem with assistant coaches is you just have no way to judge how good or bad they might be as head coaches. In fact it is pretty hard to know what exactly they do or are responsible for.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/24/17 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eric Thibault has good pedigree.Plus 10 years as an assistant coach under his belt.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/24/17 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Eric Thibault has good pedigree. Plus 10 years as an assistant coach under his belt.

Is his pedigree as good as Tyler Summitt's?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
shontay33

PostPosted: 10/24/17 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
shontay33 wrote:

I find that difficult to answer because two of the most recent hires - Curt Miller and Amber Stocks - are people I'd basically never heard of until they got their head coaching jobs (and I'd bet that's also the case for a large proportion of WNBA fans). Miller won Coach of the Year in his second season, and after a rocky start Stocks looked like she'd started working things out as her first year wore on. Those two suggest that there are coaches out there worth giving a chance, if you fancy going to look or them (and without dipping into the pool of whatever retreads are currently out of work).

After four years I just feel like someone else should be getting the chance to fix Dallas's defense. Fred hasn't shown any signs of being abe to do it, or being able to hire someone as an assistant who can do it. Good coaches can typically build a decent team defense from almost any collection of halfway-decent players. At the very least they can make them bad, rather than terrible. Given four freaking years? You should pretty much fluke into at least the 10th-best defense in the league one year or another.

I get what your saying about seeing an improvement on that end but some of that falls on the players also. Players have to have the desire to give max effort on defense. A young team like Dallas has a lot to learn on the pro level. I noticed that their issue is communication with each other. Especially when they got caught off picks. If this group stays together, I think they will be more efficient on both ends of the floor. Also if they can get someone who can protect the rim. That would help also.

shontay33

PostPosted: 10/24/17 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

😂. If she signed up for AARP would that make her officially eligible?

zune69

PostPosted: 10/25/17 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Eric Thibault has good pedigree. Plus 10 years as an assistant coach under his belt.

Is his pedigree as good as Tyler Summitt's?

Tyler had no business being the head coach of a historically great D1 basketball program.He was too young(23),too inexperienced(Asst coach for 2 yrs)),and very immature/irresponsible(dating a player).Tyler's pedigree didn't cause his down fall.His arrogance,entitlement,stupidity,and lack of self control is what did him in.

Eric has 10 years experience as a wnba assistant coach.He's paid his dues.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/25/17 2:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
shontay33 wrote:

I get what your saying about seeing an improvement on that end but some of that falls on the players also. Players have to have the desire to give max effort on defense. A young team like Dallas has a lot to learn on the pro level. I noticed that their issue is communication with each other. Especially when they got caught off picks. If this group stays together, I think they will be more efficient on both ends of the floor. Also if they can get someone who can protect the rim. That would help also.

True but it works both ways. You need a coach that demands max effort on defense aswell. If your coach doesnt think its that important and your leader (Diggins isnt a good defender either) then you get Houston/Harden situation.. They dont have the offensive firepower like the Mercury had in the past to outscore teams every night..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 10/25/17 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas Wings Overseas Player of the Wk for Oct 17-23 is Shaqhator. She had a double-double of 20 pts and 14 reb

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/26/17 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Dallas Wings Overseas Player of the Wk for Oct 17-23 is Shaqhator. She had a double-double of 20 pts and 14 reb

That's cool! Maybe she's found her element since I don't think it will be in the W...but I wish her well in her career overseas.

- Amanda Gorman
hellcat24

PostPosted: 10/31/17 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ruth Hamblin was interviewed on a WNBL podcast this week and spoke about a return to Dallas next season. For those interested, the interview is starts at around the 18:30 minute mark here: https://www.spreaker.com/show/basket-case

PostPosted: 10/31/17 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Hamblin really any better than Lewis or Akhator?? All three can go.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
UK1996

PostPosted: 10/31/17 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a bias poster but, I do think Akhator should get another season. They wasted a lottery pick on her. She does have potential with her athleticism. She should at least get a couple seasons to develop and if she shows nothing her third training camp, cut her.

PostPosted: 10/31/17 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Is Hamblin really any better than Lewis or Akhator?? All three can go.

#Preaaach

PostPosted: 10/31/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How To Get Skylar Diggins’ Easy Breezy Slay

http://www.hypehair.com/83876/mane-attraction-skylar-diggins/

Quote:
This look works great on textured tresses, as well, so don’t be afraid to play up kinks and coils!

PostPosted: 10/31/17 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
I'm a bias poster but, I do think Akhator should get another season. They wasted a lottery pick on her. She does have potential with her athleticism.

Wait now... you're saying Shaq has potential just not lottery pick potential, so they wasted that pick? Just seeking clarification.

UK1996 wrote:
She should at least get a couple seasons to develop and if she shows nothing her third training camp, cut her.

What you're saying sounds fair enough, but how long did they give Zahui? I think Zahui has what it takes if she wanted it bad enough and would work hard enough for it. I think Shaq is an actual 6'er instead of the reported 6'3 (fooled Miller), so if she doesn't develop some perimeter skills, it could be tweener tough sledding for her.

As far as Hamblin goes (a second rounder in 2016 that didn't play in 2017 and is developing in the WNBL), if DAL brings in Cambage and they take a top post player with #6 this year, somebody's gotta go or not return. I suppose they could full season suspend Plaisance if she's not ready and Lewis is expendable. They'd have to cut lottery pick Shaq to make room for done-nothing Hamblin. I kinda like Thornton as a utility 4/3 who works for cheap.

Last edited by Shades on 10/31/17 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/31/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
UK1996 wrote:
I'm a bias poster but, I do think Akhator should get another season. They wasted a lottery pick on her. She does have potential with her athleticism.

Wait now... you're saying Shaq has potential just not lottery pick potential, so they wasted that pick? Just seeking clarification.

UK1996 wrote:
She should at least get a couple seasons to develop and if she shows nothing her third training camp, cut her.

What you're saying sounds fair enough, but how long did they give Zahui? I think Zahui has what it takes if she wanted it bad enough and would work hard enough for it. I think Shaq is an actual 6'er instead of the reported 6'3 (fooled Miller), so if she doesn't develop skills, it could be tweener tough sledding for her.

As far as Hamblin goes (a second rounder in 2016 that didn't play in 2017 and is developing in the WNBL), if DAL brings in Cambage and they take a top post player with #6 this year, somebody's gotta go or not return. I suppose they could full season suspend Plaisance if she's not ready and Lewis is expendable. They'd have to cut lottery pick Shaq to make room for done-nothing Hamblin. I kinda like Thornton as a utility 4/3 who works for cheap.

I agree with this entire statement #WFFL

PostPosted: 10/31/17 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
I'm a bias poster but, I do think Akhator should get another season. They wasted a lottery pick on her. She does have potential with her athleticism. She should at least get a couple seasons to develop and if she shows nothing her third training camp, cut her.

Yeah, it's very unlikely that they cut a player picked that high so quickly. At the very least you trade her away for something to save face. In Zahui B's case they got a 1st round pick back, but I doubt the return for Akhator would be that much at this point.

It's not like they're going to be lacking for flotsam on the end of Dallas's bench to cut instead so they can keep her.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 5 of 41

Jump to: