RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Aces 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 06/19/18 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the last couple of games, Plum has looked quite a bit better, more in tune with teammates, made some nice passes, made fewer mistakes...and, contrary to those touting Allen, IMO Plum has been looking way better than Allen, who is way too conservative. Allen appears to be so afraid of making a mistake that she makes more of them, and is also hesitant to take wide open shots. JMO.

- Amanda Gorman
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/19/18 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I don't think Plum has been very good. She has been better than last year

Could she be any worse than last year?

pilight wrote:
Canada, OTOH, has been awful.

Her defense, passing awareness, and athleticism/speed was pretty good for a rookie in the games I saw. I think awful is pushing it but everyone has their opinion.

pilight wrote:
She hasn't hit a shot in 2 1/2 weeks.

I’ll give you this one.

pilight wrote:
She's shown nothing to suggest she's the heir apparent to Bird

Well, she is a rookie PG being compared to a HOF PG. Going to take time.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/19/18 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Head to Head PG matchup tonight....

Canada Off the bench 25 Mins 8 pts 3-6 FG 5 Assists 1 TO

Plum Starter 17 Mins 0 Pts 0-4 FG 6 Assists 1 TO

Who would you rather have?

PostPosted: 06/20/18 3:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rookie PG's need 2-3 years to really develop. I like what ive seen from Canada this season. She started out great and her play has dropped lately (often happens to rookies) so im happy to see that she had a good game against the Aces. Also i like what ive seen defensively from her. She can hold her own even against bigger guards.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 06/20/18 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big Bill and his theory about a big lead guard, which he is trying out with T. Young.
My thoughts: Young is trying to play the role of Alyssa Thomas, the bulldozer. She's not quite as good at it as Thomas, but I think it's not a bad role for her, especially if she learns to shoot FTs...though Thomas doesn't do that either so maybe it doesn't matter. I do think she gets more assists when she's not trying to play PG though. The 2 assists vs 2 TOs last night doesn't look so hot for a PG. And I think against some teams you will need someone with better handles to bring the ball up. So how about a real PG bringing the ball up the floor,then distributing: if you want T.Young to bulldoze, get her the ball in the right position to do so. Or get the ball to McBride or Wilson in the right place. That would seem like a wiser way to use her. I think with T. Young trying to play PG, you will get less from both McBride and Wilson, who are both way better than she is at scoring the ball.

- Amanda Gorman
zune69

PostPosted: 06/20/18 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Rookie PG's need 2-3 years to really develop. I like what ive seen from Canada this season. She started out great and her play has dropped lately (often happens to rookies) so im happy to see that she had a good game against the Aces. Also i like what ive seen defensively from her. She can hold her own even against bigger guards.

I wouldn't go that far....Diggins torched Canada when the Seattle played Dallas...It was A.Clark who slowed Diggins down.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/20/18 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle, you’re only looking at things from the offensive side. If you take the real PG’s off the floor, in a lot of cases you can take a poor defender and weak rebounder off the floor.

So if your real PG isn’t hitting shots, isn’t rebounding, and isn’t defending well, is it worth it having them out there just to initiate the offense?

Wilson had 6 assists, so it seemed like the offense ran through her, much like Charles in the Laimbeer days.

Last night LVA had 18 assists to SEA’s 15 and they won the game. So what’s the problem with Laimbeer’s strategy?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 06/20/18 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Moriah going to play this season?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/20/18 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Is Moriah going to play this season?

Most likely , she started practicing today.

PostPosted: 06/20/18 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Myrtle, you’re only looking at things from the offensive side. If you take the real PG’s off the floor, in a lot of cases you can take a poor defender and weak rebounder off the floor.

So if your real PG isn’t hitting shots, isn’t rebounding, and isn’t defending well, is it worth it having them out there just to initiate the offense?

Wilson had 6 assists, so it seemed like the offense ran through her, much like Charles in the Laimbeer days.

Last night LVA had 18 assists to SEA’s 15 and they won the game. So what’s the problem with Laimbeer’s strategy?

I agree it worked well last night. But it was against a pretty crippled team. Any team starting Quinn and KML is by definition pretty crippled. I just don't think it will work against more complete teams who will also have more time to prepare... but suspect we will get to see. In general, most have way underestimated Clark who always gets the most difficult defensive assignment. That was highlighted by KML, who couldn't guard the proverbial Ridnour's chair. As for Wilson, she has been a stud. I don't remember when she got those assists but suspect it was more likely when Plum or Allen were in the game because that is when the ball moved around a lot more. With Young as 'lead', she dribbled down the floor and went bulldozing into the lane time after time. It worked here and maybe it continues to work since I would say Angel and A. Thomas have also perfected that technique...though in general they aren't bringing the ball up all that often. And to give Young credit, she continues to expand her game. Again, we will probably get to see, though I also think Bill is great at reading what the other team is/isn't capable of so perhaps it will just be used in specific instances against specific teams. It does add an interesting twist to an already interesting season.

- Amanda Gorman
tfan

PostPosted: 06/20/18 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Head to Head PG matchup tonight....

Canada Off the bench 25 Mins 8 pts 3-6 FG 5 Assists 1 TO

Plum Starter 17 Mins 0 Pts 0-4 FG 6 Assists 1 TO

Who would you rather have?

The sample size is too small.

They both are small. But only Canada may have the quickness necessary for a small player to make it in the WNBA. And Canada is used to being a full-time point guard. Plum was just a ball-dominant two in college. Plum could help her case if she shot like the all-time leading college scorer - her field goal percentage is just 34.6% this year and was 34.6% last year.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/21/18 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I wouldn't go that far....Diggins torched Canada when the Seattle played Dallas...It was A.Clark who slowed Diggins down.

Yes of course there will be times that other guards will go off on her. That can happen to the best of them. Sometimes offense is just better then defense. But generally i liked how she has been doing defensively

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/05/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

House edge? WNBA coming up Aces with team in Las Vegas
Quote:
The Aces have the advantage of a scheduling anomaly this season that gives them six home games when their opponent is finishing off a back-to-back. That’s over a third of Las Vegas’ home contests this year. The next closest team is Washington with three such games. Five teams don’t even have one home game like that.

PostPosted: 07/14/18 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A'ja Wilson's father says he named her after a Steely Dan song/album. But that was Aja. He doesn't say why he added the apostrophe. I have seen that before with black first names and wondered about it, such as Da'Dra Greathouse.

Wilson’s father also adjusting to the WNBA

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 07/15/18 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
A'ja Wilson's father says he named her after a Steely Dan song/album. But that was Aja. He doesn't say why he added the apostrophe. I have seen that before with black first names and wondered about it, such as Da'Dra Greathouse.

Wilson’s father also adjusting to the WNBA

Actually, if you look at the album cover, the dot on the "j" looks like an apostrophe.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 07/15/18 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A’ja Wilson in the triple threat is freakin’ terrifying. Here’s how the WNBA rookie star dominates

https://www.sbnation.com/wnba/2018/7/13/17555400/aja-wilson-highlights-vegas-aces

Shades

PostPosted: 07/16/18 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You have less than two more days to vote for A’ja Wilson as “Best College Athlete” in the ESPY’s. She seems to have a commanding lead so far.

https://twitter.com/espys/status/1017212044515463168?s=21

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/17/18 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thought id drop this here , Never knew the exact condition of Harrison appears here in this article mainly about Tennessee's new signee with a comparable mention of Izzy .

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tamari-Key-commits-to-Lady-Vols-119872297/

Quote:
Harrison, who is out this summer while dealing with an autoimmune disorder, remains on the roster for the Las Vegas Aces and expects to be ready for overseas basketball later this year.

PostPosted: 07/20/18 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A'ja Wilson and Kelsey Plum are the real deal for the WNBA's Aces in hoops hotbed of Las Vegas

Quote:

"I just fell in love with Blake Griffin," she said. "It just captured me, him as a player. He was so explosive in everything that he did. And he loved the game. You could just see it in his face."

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/20/18 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
A'ja Wilson and Kelsey Plum are the real deal for the WNBA's Aces in hoops hotbed of Las Vegas

Quote:
"I just fell in love with Blake Griffin," she said. "It just captured me, him as a player. He was so explosive in everything that he did. And he loved the game. You could just see it in his face."

Makes sense, considering where he gets his moves from Cool

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XtUARot98zQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 07/20/18 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to say a word in Plumbs behalf in respect to her rookie season. While it started of fairly sucky only part was due to her not being healthy. I didn't really watch a lot of her games live, so out of curiosity I checked out her earlier games on Access. It just seemed to me the the opposing teams were putting an unusual amount of on the ball pressure on Plum than they usually put on other guards. I believe some of that was a natural reaction to the preseason hype Plum was getting. They were giving her a "Welcome to the Big league" greeting while also making a point to the public and media. One reason she started doing better later in the season besides becoming healthy, was that the point being made the pressure subsided considerably. Besides that she was not doing well enough to warrant the effort.

Sometimes it's far better coming in under the radar.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 07/22/18 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces engage Las Vegas community, show improved play - https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/aces-wnba/aces-engage-las-vegas-community-show-improved-play/

http://aces.wnba.com/photos/bone-mcbride-and-swords-show-off-their-culinary-skills-at-mandalay-bay-july-21-2018/

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 07/22/18 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Thought id drop this here , Never knew the exact condition of Harrison appears here in this article mainly about Tennessee's new signee with a comparable mention of Izzy .

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tamari-Key-commits-to-Lady-Vols-119872297/

Quote:
Harrison, who is out this summer while dealing with an autoimmune disorder, remains on the roster for the Las Vegas Aces and expects to be ready for overseas basketball later this year.

One of the Seattle Reign players has missed most of this season, also due to dealing with a flare-up of an autoimmune disease. I think most people would be surprised to find out just how common autoimmune illnesses are.

Best wishes to Harrison.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 07/22/18 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum might only be scoring 8 ppg right now but it seems like Bill isn't asking her to be a scorer. She is up to shooting 42.1 overall and 46.0 from outside, which is 2nd in the league and 1st for a starter. She also has a nearly 3-1 a/to, which is good in this league by any metric.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/22/18 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Plum might only be scoring 8 ppg right now but it seems like Bill isn't asking her to be a scorer. She is up to shooting 42.1 overall and 46.0 from outside, which is 2nd in the league and 1st for a starter. She also has a nearly 3-1 a/to, which is good in this league by any metric.

Plum's the third scoring option behind Wilson & McBride for his starters. She's improved her ball handling since last season and is better at dealing with stronger defenders now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 29 of 30

Jump to: