RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/30/18 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
I think Alyssa Thomas is more the player Gabby should strive to be... Also an athletic non-shooting SF turned PF.

Alyssa Thomas has three inches on Williams. That transition is quite a bit easier when you have the size for it.

zune69

PostPosted: 06/30/18 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago/Atlanta postgame:
Quote:
SKY FORWARD DIAMOND DESHIELDS
(On her third-quarter burst)
“I’m gonna blame my glasses because I just started wearing them. So, we’re just gonna call it that. We’re bonding still. I think the third quarter was just all about forgetting about it. My teammates at halftime [said] ‘forget about it, we need you to score the basketball.’ That gets reiterated to me not just today, but all season long. My teammates have really been the reason why I have been able to go into each game confidently. Going into the second half I felt good because of them.

YlwJckt999

PostPosted: 07/01/18 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
I think Alyssa Thomas is more the player Gabby should strive to be... Also an athletic non-shooting SF turned PF.

Was Williams a small forward initially at UCONN? Makes sense if she was since Hoopgurlz says she was a guard in high school.

Alyssa Clark, DRob or A.Beard are the types of players Gabby should strive to be. She is getting her lunch handed to her by the PF in the league. N.Howard, D.Hamby, Zahaui B etc score at will.

At Uconn, Geno had his lion's share of guards with Gabby being the least experienced. He saw her athleticism/leaping and decided he could best utilize her for rebounding. So he paired her with Stokes and the other Forwards.

This was great for Geno but not necessarily the best of Gabby. Gabby, at the next level, is too small to be a PF. Her guard skills in creating assists and defense flourished but Geno's system hampered her scoring.

She needs to get confident in shooting. She has a nice shot. Geno is in her head and she has no confidence in her shooting. If she misses a couple of jumpers, she will not pull the trigger again or half a$$ just throw something up when forced.

She relies on layup drives to the basket. She has no floater, no high bank shots, no step back jumper. I am a big Gabby fan. I just think that Geno left some development work out of her game. The same with Chong. They both were taught to get the ball to the chosen scorer at the cost of their offense.

Gabby may go the way of Chong - One year and done if she doesn't start putting up points.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/01/18 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YlwJckt999 wrote:
Gabby may go the way of Chong - One year and done if she doesn't start putting up points.

Absolutely no chance. You might go from #3 pick that looks absolutely out of her depth and barely plays to out of the league next year (Akhator); but you're not going from #4 pick 26mpg starter to out of the league next year.

The form and motion on her jumper is actually pretty nice - nothing like Alyssa Thomas's broken disaster. It looks like it could be fine with practice. As for her position, Stocks seems to want to put her at the 4, but I don't know if that's an assessment of Williams or of her other options on the roster. Between Dolson, Ndour, Parker and Coates she should have enough other post options if she wanted to go in other directions, and the wing isn't that crowded with essentially just Quigley, DeShields and Copper. Seems like a choice is being made to play her almost exclusively at the 4.

Not that I think Stocks is especially competent, so long-term that may not mean much.

PostPosted: 07/01/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surprised the Sky didn't waive Harper.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 07/01/18 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="YlwJckt999"][quote="tfan"][quote="Aladyyn"]I think Alyssa Thomas is more the player Gabby should strive to be... Also an athletic non-shooting SF turned PF.[/quote]

Was Williams a small forward initially at UCONN? Makes sense if she was since Hoopgurlz says she was a guard in high school.[/quote]

Alyssa Clark, DRob or A.Beard are the types of players Gabby should strive to be. She is getting her lunch handed to her by the PF in the league. N.Howard, D.Hamby, Zahaui B etc score at will.

At Uconn, Geno had his lion's share of guards with Gabby being the least experienced. He saw her athleticism/leaping and decided he could best utilize her for rebounding. So he paired her with Stokes and the other Forwards.

This was great for Geno but not necessarily the best of Gabby. Gabby, at the next level, is too small to be a PF. Her guard skills in creating assists and defense flourished but Geno's system hampered her scoring.

She needs to get confident in shooting. She has a nice shot. Geno is in her head and she has no confidence in her shooting. If she misses a couple of jumpers, she will not pull the trigger again or half a$$ just throw something up when forced.

She relies on layup drives to the basket. She has no floater, no high bank shots, no step back jumper. I am a big Gabby fan. I just think that Geno left some development work out of her game. The same with Chong. They both were taught to get the ball to the chosen scorer at the cost of their offense.

Gabby may go the way of Chong - One year and done if she doesn't start putting up points.[/quote]

Absolute bullshit. Stop making excuses by blaming Geno. And I am a huge Gabby fan so don’t even go there. Gabby was told to shoot the ball when she was open, if Gabby hesitated, that was on Gabby. Geno knew Gabby’s worth and brought the best of her skills out ie passing from the high post, defending using her athleticism and quickness, teaching reads and reacts. Gabby had none of the read and reacts when she went to Uconn and as with a lot of athletes, had just relied on athleticism to get past HS and AAU players. Give Gabby credit for working on her game which btw was also with the help of her coach but don’t blame a coach for parts that still need work. As with every skill it takes 1000s of reps. And then the player has to feel comfortable herself to put those skills into play so if you think she didn’t shoot the ball when she was left wide open was due to her coach, you are clueless. And your snide comments re other players gives you away.

One thing about Gabby will work on her game and keep working on her game.

Last edited by bballjunkie on 07/01/18 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/01/18 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Surprised the Sky didn't waive Harper.

There's still time.

PostPosted: 07/01/18 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spoke to soon. Harper waived.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 07/01/18 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabby Williams (prior to this game where she air-balled a three) was 3 of 9 (33%) from three and 42.9% from 2. Neither is bad, although the two percentage doesn't take into account the distance of the shots, and someone suggested recently she wasn't hitting at a good percentage from mid-range. If Williams, who has the height of a two or three, needs to play the four because she can't shoot from distance and will never learn to do so, that doesn't bode well for her career. In addition to her defensive and rebounding liabilities related to height, she is competing with fours in today's WNBA who can shoot from distance. Breanna Stewart, Tina Charles, Candace Parker, Elena Delle Donne, Rebecca Brunson, Glory Johnson , Theresa Plaisance, Azura Stevens hit from three (not all with great accuracy - for example Johnson is 30.5% and Charles 31% lifetime), and from mid-range. A'ja Wilson, Jessica Breland, Candace Dupree have good mid-range shots. In other words, in the modern game, you also want 4's that can shoot from distance. Heck, even 5's like Jonquel Jones and Stephanie Dolson are making threes. And Jantel Lavender hits long 2's all the time.

Auriemma did Williams a disservice by playing a high school combo guard at the four, but in his defense, he isn't paid to develop players for the pros. Williams also had the option to find a team where she could play a position better suited to her height. Auriemma isn't even paid to develop player's individual skills. Williams, unlike former college post player Alysha Clark (who Hughes has had cover point guards) did not develop post moves after being converted to a post in college. You pass the ball to Clark in the low post and she will give a clinic in post moves. If she gets a guard on her in that situation she is unstoppable. Williams, despite constantly being praised for her athleticism, is no such threat on the low block.

Last edited by tfan on 07/02/18 5:56 am; edited 12 times in total
sigur3

PostPosted: 07/01/18 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Spoke to soon. Harper waived.

She'll likely be back when she clears waivers.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/02/18 4:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember that is took Clark years to be effective in this league and really find her spot and confidence

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 07/02/18 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Remember that is took Clark years to be effective in this league and really find her spot and confidence

It’s pretty rare for teams to have that kind of patience.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 07/02/18 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Sometimes lack of anyone better creates patience. Had KML been better, they may have run out of patience before it paid off.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/02/18 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

She also had to spend a couple of years out of the league

PostPosted: 07/02/18 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Yes but she didnt come from UConn so i dont expect that to happen with Gabby. But a switch of teams could always happen next year or the year after that if she still doesnt develop

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 07/02/18 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Sometimes lack of anyone better creates patience. Had KML been better, they may have run out of patience before it paid off.

If I remember right, she was already at the decent level before KML entered the scene in 2015.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/02/18 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Yes but she didnt come from UConn so i dont expect that to happen with Gabby. But a switch of teams could always happen next year or the year after that if she still doesnt develop

She didnt come from UCONN means ? Laughing Confused

PostPosted: 07/02/18 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

She didnt come from UCONN means ? Laughing Confused

That one way or the other coming from UConn gives you a little more leeway in this league then coming from a smaller school

Mojo

PostPosted: 07/02/18 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A Gabby fan.
So Geno used her at a position that benefited his team but leaves her seemingly out of place in the WNBA. Cries shout too short for PF and lacks the long ball for other shooting positions.
Can she dribble?
Can she drive the basket or shoot a pull up jumper?
Can she distribute the ball?
Can she cover a guard?
There is one position on the court that has not had much conversation. One that a player does not necessarily have to have the long ball and as long as the assists totals are significant, draws less criticism.
Can she play point guard? If so, her athleticism would be front and center.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/02/18 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mojo wrote:
A Gabby fan.
So Geno used her at a position that benefited his team but leaves her seemingly out of place in the WNBA. Cries shout too short for PF and lacks the long ball for other shooting positions.
Can she dribble?
Can she drive the basket or shoot a pull up jumper?
Can she distribute the ball?
Can she cover a guard?
There is one position on the court that has not had much conversation. One that a player does not necessarily have to have the long ball and as long as the assists totals are significant, draws less criticism.
Can she play point guard? If so, her athleticism would be front and center.

Spooner, tell him.....

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/02/18 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If y’all don’t want Gabby...

PostPosted: 07/03/18 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Says something about her overall athleticism and defensive awareness to be leading the league in steal percentage as a rookie. She has some good company here.

Steal Pct
1. Gabby Williams • CHI 3.4
2. Alana Beard • LAS 3.3
3. Nneka Ogwumike • LAS 2.9
4. Sylvia Fowles • MIN 2.9
5. Angel McCoughtry • ATL 2.7
6. Chelsea Gray • LAS 2.7
7. Allisha Gray • DAL 2.3
8. Maya Moore • MIN 2.3
9. Sue Bird • SEA 2.3
10. Breanna Stewart • SEA 2.3
https://www.basketball-reference.com/wnba/years/2018.html

zune69

PostPosted: 07/03/18 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

uconNection wrote:
Says something about her overall athleticism and defensive awareness to be leading the league in steal percentage as a rookie. She has some good company here.

Steal Pct
1. Gabby Williams • CHI 3.4

Diminishing returns...

Gabby does a lot of high-risk gambling when she's guarding post players,it's her only line on defense.Gabby will get 1 or 2 steals a game.But when the gamble fails,the opposition gets easy baskets.........Diamond also has a tendency to gamble on defense.The difference is,DD can guard her player(sf/sg/pg) straight up.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/03/18 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Wow, Jessica Breland is in the top 10 of all the defensive and offensive rebounding categories and the block categories. She is #1 in defensive rating and #2 in defensive win shares.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/03/18 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Quote:

Wow, Jessica Breland is in the top 10 of all the defensive and offensive rebounding categories and the block categories. She is #1 in defensive rating and #2 in defensive win shares.

She is having her career best year rebounding but having her career worst year in FG% and FT%, and worst scoring average since 2012. I guess she probably misses the passes she was getting from Vandersloot. I really don't see why the Sky didn't core her (assuming they didn't use it up on someone else already.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: