RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Storm to Play '19 season at U. of Washington

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 08/15/18 4:14 pm    ::: Storm to Play '19 season at U. of Washington Reply Reply with quote

http://storm.wnba.com/news/seattle-storm-set-to-play-2019-wnba-season-at-university-of-washingtons-alaska-airlines-arena/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 08/15/18 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Capacity is listed at 10,000.

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 08/15/18 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Home game for Pulm when the Aces come to town.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/15/18 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Possibly not all 17 home games will be played there. Or any playoff games.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/storm-to-play-at-alaska-airlines-arena-in-2019/

scrappy

PostPosted: 08/15/18 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

no more free street parking for cheap fans.

PostPosted: 08/15/18 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks pretty good as an interim solution. (especially considering what some other fans around the league are/will be dealing with)
But where are those "other" games likely to be played when that arena isn't available?

PostPosted: 08/15/18 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Storm sent an email out to season ticket holders today. Here is what they said about where they will play while the Key is being renovated:

Quote:
Toward this end, we want to address the specifics of what “primary home” means to you and to our game schedule. We mean that we will play at least 70% of our games at Alaska Airlines Arena. We will likely play the remaining games at Angel of the Winds Arena in Everett. Until we work through scheduling with the WNBA and scheduling with the athletic events at the University, we will not know the exact dates, locations, and times for games. However, you can rely on the fact that we will play the majority of our games at the University. Our game operations team will simultaneously work on scheduling for any games to be played elsewhere, most likely in Everett.

PostPosted: 08/15/18 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They'd likely draw 1,000 in Everett. Trying to beat the Liberty's record for smallest announced crowd?

Randy

PostPosted: 08/15/18 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's 29 miles from Seattle. Fans on N. of the city may not mind. Plus there is train service for $5. to Everett, but I don't know how close that is to the arena. Looks like a nice place. Seats 10,000.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/15/18 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
They'd likely draw 1,000 in Everett. Trying to beat the Liberty's record for smallest announced crowd?

That is a loooong trek for Seattle-based Storm fans.
Though I'm willing to bet they will still out-draw White Plains, on the basis that I'm expecting the Storm to make arrangements to transport their fans up there, unlike the NY "Sorry You're On Your Own" Liberty.

[ETA] Ok if there's a train up there then they might not even need to make arrangements, other than maybe trying to schedule an extra couple for game nights.

PostPosted: 08/15/18 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The arena in Everett has held an Arena Football team and an indoor lacrosse team. I don't think either team still plays there.

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 08/15/18 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the DopplerTrain leaves by April 1 the Storm fans can all probably get to Everett by gametime!

On the University tip, would Carnesecca Arena work better for Liberty fans (compared only to Westchester County) until MSG (Lord Jimmy) works out the internal ownership mess? The Queens of Queens!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/15/18 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:

That is a loooong trek for Seattle-based Storm fans.
Though I'm willing to bet they will still out-draw White Plains, on the basis that I'm expecting the Storm to make arrangements to transport their fans up there, unlike the NY "Sorry You're On Your Own" Liberty.

[ETA] Ok if there's a train up there then they might not even need to make arrangements, other than maybe trying to schedule an extra couple for game nights.

Dallas wings play about 30 minutes away from the dallas metroplex. I dont mind the drive but i think attendance would sky rocket if they played in the same city as the dallas mavs.

PostPosted: 08/15/18 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
...On the University tip, would Carnesecca Arena work better for Liberty fans (compared only to Westchester County) until MSG (Lord Jimmy) works out the internal ownership mess? The Queens of Queens!

I should've just used the search function, Happycappie and Queenie covered it long ago. (Bleachers, bad food options, no easy walking from rail transit)

scrappy

PostPosted: 08/16/18 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
It's 29 miles from Seattle. Fans on N. of the city may not mind. Plus there is train service for $5. to Everett, but I don't know how close that is to the arena. Looks like a nice place. Seats 10,000.

going up from seattle during rush hour traffic is a nightmare. stop and go traffic all the in that 29 miles stretch.

PostPosted: 08/16/18 5:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I travel into each game from North Bend, which is about 40 miles away, so it is all far for me. Smile

PostPosted: 08/17/18 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
Randy wrote:

going up from seattle during rush hour traffic is a nightmare. stop and go traffic all the in that 29 miles stretch.

This. It's terrible to get to Everett in the evenings. It probably takes 2 hours to go that 29 miles, which no real alternate route available.

The train might be an option. But it's also a commuter train, I think, so I'd have to look into a train back in the evening (also don't know about the proximity to the arena, but the Storm could run a shuttle on that end, maybe)

PostPosted: 08/17/18 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was amused at how the email we received opened that they are "thrilled" to announce we'll be playing at Alaska Airlines Arena this next season. Laughing

Apart from that, the light rail goes right there, making it actually more convenient than Key Arena for a lot of people (unless they are coming from downtown, or live in Queen Anne or Bell Town or one of the areas not on the light rail like Ballard).

PostPosted: 08/17/18 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
Home game for Pulm when the Aces come to town.

Too bad she's playing too well and MoJeff not well enough to easily trade for her now.

The UW arena is really quite a nice venue. Don't know about Everett or how close the arena is to the rail line. If it's close, then it shouldn't be a big deal. And if they win the whole shebang this year, I would think a lot of fans would be interested in continuing to follow them.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 08/17/18 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laimbeer could still work some magic. Plum to Seattle for Canada and their first round pick?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/17/18 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Laimbeer could still work some magic. Plum to Seattle for Canada and their first round pick?

With what Plum's finally started to show, why on Earth would Vegas do that? It's the #12, at best a backup, who might well be out of the league in two years. The Aces only do that if they think Canada's just flat-out better than Plum.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: