Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/10/18 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Ooh, shade Twisted Evil

I forget exactly what it was, but one of the commentators quoted Clarendon throwing something pretty similar back the other way. Nice to be on a team where you always knew what the plan was, or something like that.

It's all pretty standard stuff whan you get shipped to a new team.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
At the end with Atlanta needing a basket to seal it, Bentley (playing point guard) took a long two that missed, then on another possession took a long two that she made and then spent some time pointing dramatically to her wrist. The play-by-play announcer said that her pointing to her wrist was saying “It’s MY time!”.

I'm not a fan of Bentley's antics either

yeah I saw that too. No, just no please don't Alex.

So you would happier if her shots didn't go in and we lost, but at least she didn't antic?

Lots of players have antics mainly about officiating. Some complain about every call, or no call, some smirk whenever there is a call they don't like ("Watch Me Smirk"), some give the "who me" look when they are called, some try to help the refs make calls (LeBron is the worst for that - he is like the 4th official, Parker is like that too.)

I'd be happier if all the players would shut up and play basketball, but I don't see getting down on the player that helped us win the game.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/10/18 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
BamaEd wrote:
pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
At the end with Atlanta needing a basket to seal it, Bentley (playing point guard) took a long two that missed, then on another possession took a long two that she made and then spent some time pointing dramatically to her wrist. The play-by-play announcer said that her pointing to her wrist was saying “It’s MY time!”.

So you would happier if her shots didn't go in and we lost, but at least she didn't antic?

No, as long as she plays like she did yesterday I'll live with it

PostPosted: 08/10/18 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
BamaEd wrote:
pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:

Lots of players have antics mainly about officiating. Some complain about every call, or no call, some smirk whenever there is a call they don't like ("Watch Me Smirk"), some give the "who me" look when they are called, some try to help the refs make calls (LeBron is the worst for that - he is like the 4th official, Parker is like that too.)

I'd be happier if all the players would shut up and play basketball, but I don't see getting down on the player that helped us win the game.

oh some antics are fine. I just didn't like the watch thing haha

Shades

PostPosted: 08/10/18 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The commentator may have said it was her time, but maybe Bentley meant it was ATL’s time. Would that make people feel better?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 08/10/18 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dream Sign Adaora Elonu to Seven-Day Contract

http://dream.wnba.com/news/atlanta-dream-sign-adaora-elonu-to-seven-day-contract/

PostPosted: 08/10/18 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Crying or Very sad Well it's too late to tank so we might as well go an try to win out. BTW - is it too late in the season to get an injury hardship replacement? Dantas has been out for weeks, so she may not be back either.

Well, see above, I guess the answer is yes

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/10/18 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Up to a certain point, I think you have to let players find the emotional level they need to succeed and let them run with it. Some players discover they play best when they don't say a word and focus. Others talk and talk and the reaction feeds their fire.

There's a point at which either can hurt a team, and the coach has to a) realize when that point is reached and b) be able to lead well enough to have the player adjust.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reason I mentioned the “It’ MY time” is because Bentley had just said “It’s nice being on a team that plays for each other.” It’s one thing to strut and pose or “mean mug” after a big shot, but “It’s MY time” seems like it is putting a lot of emphasis on the individual on more than just the shot - taking over, so to speak. But Bentley had hit a 3 just a little earlier, so she was probably reacting to both shots.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/10/18 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got my season ticket renewal package today

Quote:
The most pressing question for 2019 continues to be that of our home arena. Dream ownership and senior management have conducted multiple meetings with both the Atlanta Hawks/Philips Arena leaderhip and other entities whose greatest desire - like ours - is to return to our professional home arena next year. We must cross a few hurdles, but we are cautiously optimistic that the Hawks/Philips ownership will work with us to make that a reality.

PostPosted: 08/10/18 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
The most pressing question for 2019 continues to be that of our home arena. Dream ownership and senior management have conducted multiple meetings with both the Atlanta Hawks/Philips Arena leaderhip and other entities whose greatest desire - like ours - is to return to our professional home arena next year. We must cross a few hurdles, but we are cautiously optimistic that the Hawks/Philips ownership will work with us to make that a reality.

Here I thought it was a given they'd return to Phillips. Them staying at McCamish permanently would kill the Dream.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/10/18 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Up to a certain point, I think you have to let players find the emotional level they need to succeed and let them run with it. Some players discover they play best when they don't say a word and focus. Others talk and talk and the reaction feeds their fire.

There's a point at which either can hurt a team, and the coach has to a) realize when that point is reached and b) be able to lead well enough to have the player adjust.

She shoots 38,6 % from the field and 28,7 % from behind the arc. Maybe it shouldnt be her time Rolling Eyes

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Randy

PostPosted: 08/10/18 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Here I thought it was a given they'd return to Phillips. Them staying at McCamish permanently would kill the Dream.

I agree unless a lot things change at McCamish, which seems quite unlikely. There was a post from Bob's Scouting Report (I think) saying GTech stuck it to the Dream when it came to the arena rental fees.

I got the impression from my account exec quite some time ago that there was no question about returning to Phillips. This could all be posturing on the Hawks/Phillips part. One issue (and I don't know how applicable it is) but there was recently an article in the local press stating that Hawks where hiring 900 additional people for Phillips because they need a lot more people for the new setup. I can't imagine the Dream would need that many more people but there may be some issues with how the arena is set up, which makes it more difficult to scale down.

There is also a new arena being built by the airport. I could see some games ending up there in the event of schedule conflicts. Small but not by Mystics/Liberty standards.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/construction-starts-college-park-arena-for-hawks-development-team/Un4jcTnqRTMO92IRczr05L/

toad455

PostPosted: 08/10/18 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was actually wondering if the Dream might move there down the road. Didn't realize the capacity was only 3,500. To have three teams playing in arenas with 4,200-2,500 seats makes the WNBA look very minor league-ish.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/10/18 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

http://dream.wnba.com/news/atlanta-dream-sign-adaora-elonu-to-seven-day-contract/

Kind of pointless, IMO, since Alexis Prince never plays but I guess it's just insurance. Any word how long Dantas is supposed to be out?

Randy

PostPosted: 08/10/18 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Kind of pointless, IMO, since Alexis Prince never plays but I guess it's just insurance. Any word how long Dantas is supposed to be out?

No word. A seven day contract is almost to the end of the season, so apparently she is not expected back before then. I don't know much about Elonu or Prince for that matter.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/10/18 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I was actually wondering if the Dream might move there down the road. Didn't realize the capacity was only 3,500. To have three teams playing in arenas with 4,200-2,500 seats makes the WNBA look very minor league-ish.

On TV it should look better. They rarely pan out to show the entire place. Although Westchester isn’t built as an arena and does look minor league due to the County Center layout.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/16/18 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aDl0nCpzHtU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pilight

PostPosted: 08/17/18 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dantas done

http://dream.wnba.com/news/damiris-dantas-has-season-ending-surgery/

Quote:
Dantas, a third-year player from Brazil, will miss the remainder of the regular season and the entire postseason.

PostPosted: 08/17/18 7:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if she will be back next year. She will be an RFA so its seems quite possible some team may want her more than the Dream do thanks to the rise of Billings.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/17/18 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I wonder if she will be back next year. She will be an RFA so its seems quite possible some team may want her more than the Dream do thanks to the rise of Billings.

Dantas seemed to spend too much time this season away from the rim on offense. Stepping out every now and again is effective to keep the defense honest, but don't make a living there. Someone has to get in the paint right? It will be interesting to see what happens in the off-season with her. I think the winning streak start after her injury, correct?

TigerVol

PostPosted: 08/17/18 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
Randy wrote:

Dantas seemed to spend too much time this season away from the rim on offense. Stepping out every now and again is effective to keep the defense honest, but don't make a living there. Someone has to get in the paint right? It will be interesting to see what happens in the off-season with her. I think the winning streak start after her injury, correct?

Didn't she first get Injured early - maybe camp early... Took a minute to look good... Looked good for a minute then didn't... Then was out.

I wonder if she wasn't hampered most of this season?

Too bad. She brought a different look and some toughness. Would have been nice to have healthy (with her shot) down the stretch.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: