RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Inaccurate WNBA height listings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 09/01/17 4:34 pm    ::: Inaccurate WNBA height listings Reply Reply with quote

Are there any players you can think of who appear to be shorter/taller than their listed height? Obviously, we know that they mainly measure players in shoes which leads to their height being rounded up an inch, but Bird and Pulm don't even look 5'9 in shoes, and Renee Montgomery isn't anywhere near 5'7.

PostPosted: 09/01/17 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've stood right next to Tamera Young. She's not 6'2. She's not even 6'.

PostPosted: 09/01/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never thought Sancho Lyttle was 6-4 maybe 6-2. I think most players listed height is overstated. I will say Angel does look like she is at least 6-1 though.

sigur3

PostPosted: 09/01/17 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I've stood right next to Tamera Young. She's not 6'2. She's not even 6'.

Same. Good call

willtalk

PostPosted: 09/01/17 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey after all it is a woman's league, so why shouldn't they measure themselves in high heels.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/02/17 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Program heights are fantasy ... but amusing fantasy.

PostPosted: 09/02/17 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a doctor certified 5'9". Birdie is about 5'8", stood next to her at the All Star game in Phoenix. Agree re T Young, going off an old photo will guess she is 6"

PostPosted: 09/02/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The league making Griner 6'9" just so she's considered the second tallest in league history.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 09/02/17 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While most players are probably listed an inch or an inch and a half over their actual height, it seems that some players are more than that, like Amanda Zahui B.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/02/17 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
While most players are probably listed an inch or an inch and a half over their actual height, it seems that some players are more than that, like Amanda Zahui B.

but,but,but...isn't the true height to the top of the fuzz?

- Amanda Gorman
jap

PostPosted: 09/02/17 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Inflation of heights (and sometimes weights) is something that occurs all across professional sports. As long as you have organizations employing metric guidelines for what heights, weights, speed, or whatever other metrics players should have for their for their chosen sport & position(s), coaches, scouts, and players will inflate their dimensions in order to get into professional sports and the attendant money involved. Even though the WNBA does not pay well compared to other pro league organizations, getting in still comes with potential payoffs with increased profiles for professional sports abroad or commercial deals.

It's funny how Alana Beard, officially listed at 5'11" as a guard when coming to LA, 'grew' an extra two inches when she was moved to SF with Boss Ross, then 'shrunk back down' to 5'11" as Brian re-established her guard status. I'm still not sure how tall Candace really is, and I seriously doubt Riquna is 5'7".

Last edited by jap on 09/03/17 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/03/17 4:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heights in FIBA play or heights of players outside of the USA tend to be correct more often.

For example i saw Jenna O'Hea (listed at 6'1) standing besides Crystal Langhorne (listed as 6'2) and Camille Little (6'2) and it was pretty much even.
If i would guess which listed height was correct i would always go by the non USA player Laughing

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
SDHoops

PostPosted: 09/03/17 6:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember a physician who did physicals for a D2 college team told me he measured athletes in shoes then rounded out to the nearest full inch. I'm 5'10 and 3/4ths and just over 6 foot in shoes so I'm not sure if all docs/physicians do this, but as some people say, "close enough." I remmeber Kevin Durant and Liz Cambage being listed at the same height yet when they took a picture together, Liz looked four inches shorter. I mentioned it on here and got grilled so I thought it was a touchy subject apparently

caune

PostPosted: 09/03/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cappie Pondexter is way shorter than listed, she's 5'-6" tops. I base this on standing next to her numerous times for photos and we are basically the same height.

PostPosted: 09/04/17 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Usually 1 1/2 to 2 inches on average. Some more- especially some PGs.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/04/17 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the many things I like about the NFL is their attention to details and plus they love to measure everything. The NFL combine that is held every year team doctors come there and examine players height, weight, wingspan, hand size, etc. They make sure they sure they know what they're getting before draft day.

There are some players that skip the combine. No problem! Many colleges have a pro day where NFL teams can come there with their team doctors to examine and measure players. I just wonder do WNBA teams put in the work to examine players before draft day.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
I remember a physician who did physicals for a D2 college team told me he measured athletes in shoes then rounded out to the nearest full inch. I'm 5'10 and 3/4ths and just over 6 foot in shoes so I'm not sure if all docs/physicians do this, but as some people say, "close enough." I remmeber Kevin Durant and Liz Cambage being listed at the same height yet when they took a picture together, Liz looked four inches shorter. I mentioned it on here and got grilled so I thought it was a touchy subject apparently

Durant is closer to 6'11 then 6'8. They changed it over the years with him

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 09/06/17 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

there's a reason we often use the phrase "in Media Guides and Stilettos" when discussing player height..as for specific examples...too many to mention hence the phrase.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: