7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 53

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/06/17 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Sylvia Fowles 11.4 FGA
Maya Moore 13.8 FGA

Do Reeve and Whalen think that Fowles is the most valuable player on the Lynx?

Yes. Listen to Reeve's post game pressers. And watch to see who the plays are called for. Give you a hint, the game plans this season have revolved around Fowles. Reeve asked Brunson to become a 3pt shooter to free up space inside.

Richyyy even noted early on in the season that the change of focus from Maya to Fowles might be a big reason why Maya's efficiency was down this year. Instead of plays being called for her to get a good look, she was taking more tough or contested shots.

PostPosted: 09/06/17 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

As for the Charles thing, show me the damn stats that show her having performed better (or, hell, even close to) Fowles this season and then you can "gray it up" all you want. I have yet to see an actual metric to support your case.

If there is any award that strikes me as not susceptible to simple mathematical modeling, it's MVP. Unless you want to reduce it to simply some pre-determined combination of PPG, RPG, APG and team standing. Seems to me that simply measures the statistical leader, any similarity to "Most Valuable Player" being entirely coincidental.

MVP strikes me as a totally subjective judgment.

(As an example, what are you going to do with someone who leads their team in scoring with 15 ppg on a team that averages 60ppg, vs another player who averages 17 ppg and is second in scoring on a team that averages 85 ppg? Does your "metric" dictate that player 2 deserves MVP over player 1?)

There are tons of advanced stats that normalize for that. Not to mention, what you have highlighted are statistical arguments that could swing the needle to one player or another. But you are using numbers to do that, thus it is not subjective. You would be making an objective arguement based upon observable evidence.

For instance, what was the eFG% of thise two players you highlighted? What was their TS%? If the 17pts per game player got those by shooting 20 times per game due to their team's pace, it is not very impressive, while if the 15pts per game did it on 7 shots that is incredible.

And what stats go with those two ppgs? Is one a top 3 rebounder in Reb%? Is one in the running for DPOY?

There is still room for debate due to the fact that different people may value different stats and feel one should be stressed more than another, but there should still be an empirical case to be made for how that player was better than any other. If that case cannot be made, then the player should not be considered a realistic candidate.

PostPosted: 09/06/17 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
For instance, what was the eFG% of thise two players you highlighted? What was their TS%? If the 17pts per game player got those by shooting 20 times per game due to their team's pace, it is not very impressive, while if the 15pts per game did it on 7 shots that is incredible.

It's not always pace, sometimes it's the paucity of decent options. Tina Charles scored more than Sylvia Fowles this season despite being on a slower paced team. Yeah, Fowles had a better FG%, but she also had Maya Moore as a second option if she didn't have a good shot. That's a big step up from New York's rotating cast. I guess Epiphanny Prince is the #2 option, and she ain't Maya. Not to mention, Charles' PG missed 20 more games than Fowles'. I would vote Fowles, but I would not fault someone who put Charles #1 instead.

PostPosted: 09/06/17 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This one has gotten ugly. MVP is just a matter of opinion. And opinions are like a-holes - everybody's got one.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/06/17 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:

It's not always pace, sometimes it's the paucity of decent options. Tina Charles scored more than Sylvia Fowles this season despite being on a slower paced team. Yeah, Fowles had a better FG%, but she also had Maya Moore as a second option if she didn't have a good shot. That's a big step up from New York's rotating cast. I guess Epiphanny Prince is the #2 option, and she ain't Maya. Not to mention, Charles' PG missed 20 more games than Fowles'. I would vote Fowles, but I would not fault someone who put Charles #1 instead.

I don't think this should be relevant in the comparison. Fowles doesn't score outside of the paint, Charles' range extends to the 3pt line which will naturally make her FG% a lot lower.

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/06/17 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I don't think this should be relevant in the comparison. Fowles doesn't score outside of the paint, Charles' range extends to the 3pt line which will naturally make her FG% a lot lower.

Thus why I was looking at eFG%, which is a much better metric than base FG%. eFG% normalizes for 3pt shots vs. 2pt shots. Or you can also figure in FT% and get a TS%.

Fowles led the league in all of these:
eFG%: 65.5%
TS%: 69.1%

Charles' numbers were not good (no one missed more shots than Charles this season: 331 - next closest was 275.)
eFG%: 46.2%
TS%: 50.8%

Also, to put the two in perspective, Fowles's PER was 30.9, Charles' was 21.8. While I hate PER for comparing different positions, it is an excellent stat for comparing two players who play the same one.

BTW, the pace of play between the Lynx and the Liberty was not all that different. Lynx: 77.2, Liberty: 76.3

These are not the numbers of two players who are in the same ballpark.

PostPosted: 09/06/17 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fowles and Charles don't play the same position. Fowles is a center, Charles has played PF all season for the Liberty. Vaughn and Stokes are the centers for NY, with a dash of Zahui B.

eFG% and TS% are important, but they're hardly determinative for MVP. If they were, Fowles would have three already. Fowles can afford to pass up bad shots because she has teammates who can score consistently. Charles doesn't have that option because she doesn't have Maya Moore and Seimone Augustus as teammates. She has Epiphanny Prince and Shavonte Zellous. Fowles's efficiency is a function of her role and her teammates. Charles has a different role and vastly inferior teammates. You can't compare the two with just stats.

PostPosted: 09/06/17 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The difference between the 4 and the 5 when it comes to PER is negligible. The problem is comparing front court versus back court. Fowles and Charles are solidly PER comparable. The striking difference between the two's numbers pretty much sums up the entire story.

And I agree the efficiency numbers do not tell the whole story. But when they are taken in combination with the rest of the numbers Fowles has put up, they put her so far ahead of the rest of the pack that it isn't even funny. Not to mention these efficiency numbers are 4th best of all time, and only Nneka (last year's rightful MVP) has had better efficiency while being top 3 in points scored.

There is a reason Fowles got 13 of the 14 AP votes (note that it was Parker who got the lone outlier, not Charles).

Yes, Fowles has better teammates. Perhaps they helped her have a better season than Charles' teammates did for her (but note that the lack of any other real option also helped her lead the league in scoring as a volume shooter). I mean, no player can do it themselves. Most of the time when someone wins MVP they credit their teammates for making it possible. Ultimately though, for whatever reason, Fowles did have a demonstrably better season than Charles. The numbers back it up, the results back it up, and the simple eye test backs it up. One has to fight to make a case for Charles, while Fowles' season jumps off the page.

PostPosted: 09/06/17 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker as MVP is ridiculous, IMO. Charles is defensible, even if she's not my pick.

#NATC

PostPosted: 09/06/17 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Parker as MVP is ridiculous, IMO. Charles is defensible, even if she's not my pick.

I agree. Charles had an MVP-worthy season, it's just that Fowles had a better one IMO. I'm not about to undervalue one great player to justify my vote for a different great player.
Tina & Syl are in completely different situations when it comes to what their teams *need* them to do to win games. For Tina to do what she does, with so much reliance on her by her team, and so much attention focussed on her by her opponents, is impressive.
Candace's situation in terms of reliance and quality of teammates is a lot more comparable to Syl than Tina, but she hasn't produced as consistently this season.

PostPosted: 09/06/17 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There has to be some theory or practical methodology for the selection a "most valuable" player. I don't see how that theory or methodology can be other than subjective, even if it wholly or partially relies on objective statistics.

I think it's mildly instructive to consider a semantic analysis of what the term "most valuable" can mean.

First, I assume that the "most valuable" player in the league is not a synonym for "the best" player in the league, because those two phrases use different words.

Next, it is obvious that the word "valuable" must have an object. That is, to whom or to what is the player valuable? There are only two logical candidates for the valuing entity: the league or the player's team. It makes no sense to me to ask what player is most "valuable" to the league as a whole. That sounds like it could be the player who stars in the most popular WNBA TV commercial, who is most attention-getting on WNBA billboards, or who attracts the most fans to an opponent's arena.

Hence, the "value" of the player, semantically, must be measured at the team level. The first inquiry is: What player is "most valuable" to each team? There can be many ways to answer that question. Several involve statistics such as scoring, rebounding, EffPG, PER, or plus/minus. However, the "value" of each of these statistics as the proper MVP metric is almost entirely subjective -- some people value one statistic highly or the most; others don't.

Another way to measure value, perforce subjectively, is to ask which of each team's players would be chosen for the Klingon Death Match. That's been discussed and weaknesses have been pointed out.

A reasonable way to measure value, which again will be subjective, is to use a subtraction approach, as several posters here have suggested. That is, we ask which player, if subtracted from each team, would have resulted in the most damage to her team's record so far this season. That's the team's "most valuable" player, and that can be done for each of the 12 teams.

The second inquiry under the subtraction methodology is: Which team would have fared the worst if its MVP had not been on the team? That may be a difficult question to answer. Different people would probably have different answers. They all will be partially subjective, even if based on some subjectively preferred objective statistic.

It's not clear to me that Sylvia Fowles is the "most valuable to her team" player in the WNBA under this semantic analysis and using the subtractive methodology. As suggested by others, I think it would be reasonable to conclude that Skylar Diggins or Tina Charles, or maybe Jonquel Jones, has been more valuable to her team's record performance this season than Sylvia Fowles.
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/06/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
If you replace Fowles with a league average starting center, the Lynx still win 20+ games.

I usually hate this kind of argument, but this isn't a bold statement. All you have to do is look at history 2011 to mid-2015.

That was back before Griner started playing like a superstar and before the Sparks figured out how to put things together. The Lynx needed Fowles to be able to beat those teams after 2014.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: