RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

US OPEN
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/30/17 4:16 pm    ::: US OPEN Reply Reply with quote

Need a good laugh? Tune in now to hear a wonderful screech/screamfest between Babos and Sharapova.

Each sounds as if she's getting stabbed in the eyeball.

PostPosted: 08/31/17 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

all that noise from the players is way out of hand now. i'd start laying down some rules in the usta juniors competitions to (eventually) eliminate this annoyance. what's worse, though, is the noise coming from the stands (and/or, as chrissy evert suggested, the corporate skyboxes), when the roof is closed on arthur ashe stadium. omg. this isn't baseball. as a former player, i can attest how important it is to hear the ball coming off the ground and your opponent's racket. STFU, people!

PostPosted: 08/31/17 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennis is a sport that is essentially run by the players. There was significant discussion about limiting the screeching when Monica Seles took it to what was then a new level, but the players chose to let it go. Now that the cat is out of the bag it is just a part of the game. I never liked it but I don't see anyone that can reverse the trend.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/01/17 6:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Tennis is a sport that is essentially run by the players. There was significant discussion about limiting the screeching when Monica Seles took it to what was then a new level, but the players chose to let it go. Now that the cat is out of the bag it is just a part of the game. I never liked it but I don't see anyone that can reverse the trend.

I really struggle with some matches. But as long as it doesn't affect the ratings, nothing will (or needs to) be done about it.

PostPosted: 09/01/17 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, as far as not being able to listen to, or watch, the matches, the ones i can't watch are nadal's. apart from his ocd - not dissing him for it and however brilliant he is in spite or because of it - i would think a guy as rich as he could commission someone to design some wedgie-free togs so we don't have to watch him dig at his shorts after every point. reminds me of jimmy connors, and it's as unpleasant now as it was 40 years ago.

PostPosted: 09/01/17 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I've never gone to one of these major tennis tournaments and I wondered, how do tickets work for these? Do you need to buy a seperate ticket for each seperate match? Do you get a ticket for a particular court for the day? How does this work. And don't you need to buy tickets long before the draw is set, so how do go to see a particular player?

Anyone here go to these things like the US Open or Wimbeldon who can explain the ticket process?

Thanks.

sambista

PostPosted: 09/01/17 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
So I've never gone to one of these major tennis tournaments and I wondered, how do tickets work for these? Do you need to buy a seperate ticket for each seperate match? Do you get a ticket for a particular court for the day? How does this work. And don't you need to buy tickets long before the draw is set, so how do go to see a particular player?

Anyone here go to these things like the US Open or Wimbeldon who can explain the ticket process?

Thanks.

the ticket setup for wimbledon may be different from the u.s. open, especially since the feel and intent for each is quite different. the open is intended to be free-wheeling and fun. it's been a few years, but very generally, the u.s. open tix depend sometimes on the day (how far into the draw) and whether it's the day matches or night. iirc, some tix can be bought for open access to the grounds and day matches that aren't on center court (arthur ashe stadium) and maybe the grandstand. then there's similar access for the night session. closer to the end, of course, all the courts aren't full, so you're probably buying for one big court, but all the day matches there or night matches on that court.

tix aren't cheap, and they're hard to get even when you order early. you can almost never sit down low near the court because of prohibitive prices, but mostly because many are reserved corporate/celebrity seats (that are rarely full because the patrons take them for granted, which i think is a high crime, considering the real fans have to sit in the nosebleed sections while the best seats are empty).

i think you can also buy just grounds passes, much more affordable, which gets you inside and a wealth of big screens to watch various matches. there's also a huge screen for the featured match, and some make a picnic of it on the grassy mounds. with a grounds pass, earlier in the tourney you can check out the courts where early-round doubles are going on, as well as watch the players practice.

all in all, the u.s. open is a wonderful experience, even when you're not sitting inside a court watching a match.

for my money, in the u.s., the tournament at biscayne (off miami beach) is the coolest. it's popular among many players, and they consider it the fifth grand slam.

wimbledon's on my bucket list, and i'd pay almost any price just once.

Last edited by sambista on 09/01/17 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
sambista

PostPosted: 09/01/17 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh, re your question about seeing a particular player, that's the catch: you really don't know who you're gonna see when you get tix early enough to secure good seats. toward the end of the tourney, you're buying "quarterfinal men's singles" or some such, so there's no telling who'll turn up. and wholesale withdrawals - injuries and whatnot - can also mess up your game plan.

PostPosted: 09/01/17 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
all that noise from the players is way out of hand now. i'd start laying down some rules in the usta juniors competitions to (eventually) eliminate this annoyance. what's worse, though, is the noise coming from the stands (and/or, as chrissy evert suggested, the corporate skyboxes), when the roof is closed on arthur ashe stadium. omg. this isn't baseball. as a former player, i can attest how important it is to hear the ball coming off the ground and your opponent's racket. STFU, people!

There was talk several years ago on this board when the WTA was going to come out with a "Grunt-O-Meter"!

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1059178

PostPosted: 09/01/17 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

note of the day: while her sister venus willliams has been competing at the u.s. open in nyc, at 37 the oldest player and poised to reclaim her ranking as no. 1 in the world if she wins, serena has given birth to a 6-pound, 13-ounce girl in west palm beach, fla.

PostPosted: 09/02/17 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jesus H.....dick vitale on the pre-match coverage. Kinda like ketchup on a hot dog. Mad

PostPosted: 09/02/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

in this Zhang v Pliskova match.....silence!

no screaming screeching grunting sighing moaning...what's wrong w/ these two?

PostPosted: 09/02/17 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pliskova prevails, 3-6 7-5 6-4.

Zhang blew a great chance to advance.

PostPosted: 09/03/17 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sevastova!!! What a story.

PostPosted: 09/04/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Del Potro with the match of the tournament.

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=20581241&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe></embed>

PostPosted: 09/04/17 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was special.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPOILER ALERT! ???

sloane stephens just became the first american woman, other than venus or serena, to reach the u.s. open semifinals since 2004. if venus wins her match tonight, two black women, besides venus vs. serena, could meet in the finals. it’s also possible that there could be an all-american semifinals, three of the players black women. i haven’t checked, but i’m pretty sure that would be a first. (well, madison keys says she doesn’t identify with being white or african american. whatever.) and btw, how wonderful and incongruous to hear an entire stadium of fans screaming and cheering for sloane - because she’s american. i’ll take the joys when and where i can get them. brava, sloane!

PostPosted: 09/05/17 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Venus sure knows how to make you sweat. My pulse must 120 right now after watching this match.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look how identical Sloane and Venus' last two matches have been.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The year of the old guard.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm having a terrible women's side this year. I think the only match i watched whose result I wanted was Screechapova losing.

Was pulling for Kvitova to continue a remarkable comeback, from the home invasion/assault/injuries she suffered, by winning the USO.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
The year of the old guard.

It's always the year of the old guard on the men's side. There's so little depth that Nadal and Federer will be making semis in their 50's.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been under a rock, had no idea Madison Keys is biracial

toad455

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The potential to have an all US women's semis is incredible. Coco & Madison need to win tomorrow to make it happen.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Genero36

PostPosted: 09/06/17 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
I've been under a rock, had no idea Madison Keys is biracial

I get the impression that's the way she wants it.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: