RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Think you can balance the US budget?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:43 am    ::: Think you can balance the US budget? Reply Reply with quote

http://usa.abalancingact.com/

Quote:
Federal Balancing Act:
An Interactive Budget Simulation

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

made it to 83.3% without decreasing any so-called social services or increasing personal income tax.

big hits taken by corp.s and military. Cool

PostPosted: 08/29/17 12:20 pm    ::: Re: Think you can balance the US budget? Reply Reply with quote

Did what I've always wanted to do...slash the defense budget, increased taxes on wealthy income, estate taxes and corporations, and invested in technology and research from Nasa, Education, social programs, and Infrastructure.

Also, it didn't do much, but I slashed Congress' budget in half, for funzies. Laughing

I also slashed taxes for middle class and lower classes (including upper middle class)

301 Billion Surplus with 103.4% towards budget stability Smile

PostPosted: 08/29/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's easy.

I didn't touch spending. If that's what the nation wants to spend, so be it. I just believe we have to pay for it. So I raised taxes. Personal income taxes, at nearly all income levels, alcohol, tobacco and gas taxes, payroll taxes, medicare taxes.

I have a $270B surplus and a 107% sustainability rating.

Besides, the taxes and the "Pay for your thrills" policy will wake people up and force them to confront the runaway spending, and we'll finally get some serious spending cuts..

Then and only then can we start gently reducing taxes to match the spending cuts.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/29/17 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was easy. I instituted a flat 13.1% income tax on all but top 1%, who pay twice that at 26.2%. 332B surplus and 100.3% sustainable.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Achieved a surplus and 100% sustainability solely through spending cuts: about 10-15% across the board, plus eliminating all federal Education spending and most foreign aid.

This all proves there are many ways to do it, but that both parties in Congress are completely dysfunctional due to their implacable tribalistic inertia.

Term limits for all politicians is the only possible method to save the USA from going the way Atlantis, Babylonia, Greece, Rome, the Khan dynasties, the shogunates, the Holy Roman Empire, the Third Reich, and every other world power in history. But the Supreme Court, in its self-indulgent, self-important arrogance, has ruled term limits unconstitutional.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/29/17 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

duplicate

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 08/29/17 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 08/29/17 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I created a 600 B surplus mainly by raising taxes and cutting some spending - health care, Soc. Security, defense, foreign aid and the like Didn't cut spending in most areas by more than 5 or 10%, though I cut Congress budget in half. tax rates: Upper 1% income went to 35%, next to 20%, and so on. I also eliminated the negative income taxes for low income. I increased payroll withholding to 7.5% and applied it to all income. I would have also increased the corporate tax rate, but I forgot and by then the surplus was huge.

I went for a surplus just to see how easy it would be.

Congress could solve this in a day if they weren't totally useless.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/30/17 2:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2016 Budget Outcome: $164.7B Surplus
Long-Term Outlook: Sustainable Deficit (100%)

Revenue Increase
+$950.7B Individual Income Tax

33% for top 1% (etc)
20%
10%

Budget Increases
+$192.7B Infrastructure
+$105.9B Education

So I raised almost a trillion in revenue by hitting up the 1% and other high earners. So much for the bullshit that you can't do anything by raising taxes on the 1%. I kicked up infrastructure by almost $200B and education by over a $100B. I don't know what's so fucking hard about all this.

Oh. Wait. Yes I do. It's that both of our major political parties are under the thumb of the wealthy and super-wealthy. Idea

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/30/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
It's that both of our major political parties are under the thumb of the wealthy and super-wealthy. Idea

Amen.

PostPosted: 08/30/17 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apart from that, politicians for decades have sold this total disconnect between tax cuts and spending.

Bush Jr was one of the worst, cutting taxes significantly while going to war. "Don't worry, we can go fight a hugely expensive war in Iraq and it won't cost you a dime, in fact I'm going to give everybody a tax cut.". They did it to try to minimize the pushback against what was already an unpopular war.

It's why today we have a move to cut taxes with no corresponding discussion of spending and while already running an astronomical deficit.

So the public sits there fat and happy. Tax cuts - Yaaaaaay! Spending cuts - boooooo!

No surprise why Congress acts irresponsibly. Tax cuts get you re-elected; spending cuts get you replaced.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/30/17 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I balanced just on defense cuts. Also put no limit on social security taxable income (but that doesn't show the type of increase people claim).

Social Security shouldn't even be there.It is a separate program with it's own funding. Funding has been taken from it and will never be repaid and it is amazing that we allow Republicans to talk about cutting benefits without mentioning that theft.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/31/17 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
No surprise why Congress acts irresponsibly. Tax cuts get you re-elected; spending cuts get you replaced.

They act irresponsibly because gerrymandering has made them immune to public opinion. Congresspersons don't answer to the people, they only answer to the party. As long as they maintain the party line, they don't get a primary challenge and they stay in office. Any deviation and they risk having the party back someone more orthodox to take the seat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: