About the same as in the past
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Fewer than in the past
38%
 38%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 21

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/27/17 12:33 pm    ::: Actual attendance: Up, down, same? Reply Reply with quote

This is a question for those who go to games on a regular basis ...

So we know that the official attendance figures are all but meaningless (I've always felt the league averages about 4,500 bodies in seats a night), but it would be nice to get a feel for what's really going on.

So those who've been going to games for several years, is it your impression that

a) There are more people in the stands than in the past;

b) About the same;

c) Fewer.

If more, how many more (percentage or raw number); if fewer, same question.

PostPosted: 08/27/17 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream are not drawing as many people in McCamish as they do at Philips. Crowds have been better than I expected, however.

PostPosted: 08/27/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted more with the exception of the three cellar dwellers in the league (Dallas, Atlanta & San Antonio). Impressed with the big crowds the Lynx are getting at the Excel Center. Sparks' crowds are definitely bigger this season. Liberty and Mercury look about the same. Sun are definitely getting larger crowds due to their success. They were drawing flies the past few seasons. Fever are down due to the retirement of Catchings. Sky & Storm appear about the same. The Mystics are the biggest liars in terms of attendance. who knows how many people actually show up.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
merlina

PostPosted: 08/27/17 12:55 pm    ::: Re: Actual attendance: Up, down, same? Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
This is a question for those who go to games on a regular basis ...

So we know that the official attendance figures are all but meaningless (I've always felt the league averages about 4,500 bodies in seats a night), but it would be nice to get a feel for what's really going on.

So those who've been going to games for several years, is it your impression that

a) There are more people in the stands than in the past;

b) About the same;

c) Fewer.

If more, how many more (percentage or raw number); if fewer, same question.

I've attended nearly every Storm game since 2010. After 2011, attendance steadily went down each year, but this year has seemed much better than last year.

vallee

PostPosted: 08/28/17 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics seem to actually have more fans in seats this season. It could be EDD fans.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/29/17 5:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a difficult one for a lib fan

early on for a team coming off 2 straight 20 win seasons attendance was alarmingly down...opening day was an announced 8.5k and it looked more like 8 flat and I'm being generous

lynx game was an announced 7 that looked like 5

but after Pride (a lower bowl sellout which was LEGIT there were stragglers upstairs!) things were consistently 9s and 10s.

But now your getting 8.7s and 9.2s called 9s and 10s so I guess I SHOULD vote down but attendance has been back to about the same and the reported numbers say up...so I'm confused

Another issue is that crowds have become very late arriving. Cant take the tempature of the attendance really until midway thru the 2nd quarter...I think this is a basketball wide issue as ive seen it on TV games in the NBA too. but it is alarming

The libs used to pride itself on having some of the most honest reporting in the league (Minus the Pru Center years which almost bankrupted us) but they've been looser with the numbers this year. If I were 100% honest I'd say we're down maybe 100 a game...but that's within the margin of error and there have been some GREAT crowds...Friday will be interesting as Fan Appreciation Night used to be the big draw of the year (bout the only thing the FFO did right) but recently the Front Office has flubbed it badly...2 years ago they got a pass thanks to sensitivities involving 9/11 last year...they just blew it and knew they did...we'll see what goes down Friday.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 5:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Somewhat agree about the Liberty. Nights where 10k was announced and it was maybe 9,500 or 9k. But the Libs still do a lot of giveaways and I think have one of the highest season ticket bases. You have to remember all season tickets are factored into attendance numbers whether they show up or not. I'm sure the Garden will be full on Sept. 10.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/29/17 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Somewhat agree about the Liberty. Nights where 10k was announced and it was maybe 9,500 or 9k. But the Libs still do a lot of giveaways and I think have one of the highest season ticket bases. You have to remember all season tickets are factored into attendance numbers whether they show up or not. I'm sure the Garden will be full on Sept. 10.

Are there also ticket brokers buying tickets for resale that end up not being able to sell? Happens all the time with NBA, MLB, etc. (Probably not the case for teams like Atlanta though.)

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Are there also ticket brokers buying tickets for resale that end up not being able to sell? Happens all the time with NBA, MLB, etc. (Probably not the case for teams like Atlanta though.)

there is a section on the non tv side that is never full even when there are stragglers upstairs! even on CAMP DAY...this is clearly the work of scalpers (across from away bench middle rows)

yes for big games like Pride or Playoffs...there are STREET HUSTLERS scalping tickets...and sadly we witnessed someone who got rooked by bogus tickets (sold the previous game to some foreign tourists!) its the ultimate mixed emotions....like OMG we made it...the street hustlers are out in force to hey asshole stop scalping our seats and conning innocent folks with fake tickets!!!

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's section 105. The middle part of that section is almost always empty.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
It's section 105. The middle part of that section is almost always empty.

Not even going to speak of what sections are empty in college park! Toads going to be alll over it Laughing But when the big time stars come to town we seem to do a bit better than normal . This sundays game vs NY will be pretty full. Offering 20 dollar seats for Fan appreciation night where there normally 50 plus! This is when i get pissed about being a STH for sure!! Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agree. Dream were selling first ten row seats recently for $11 - about the same as my STH seats in the rafters where I sat. Several years ago I started buying tickets at the box office and eventually became a STH instead of buying from (cheaper) scalpers to support the team. Guess that only goes one way.

BTW - can't add much to what pilight said about Dream attendance but at Phillips there used to be scalpers. It looks to me like the scalpers don't even show up at Georgia Tech's arena.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: