RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

2018 Team USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
UK1996



Joined: 03 Sep 2015
Posts: 309



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/17/17 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I wonder if all those vets retire before 2020 what the team will look like and what potential college players could make the team. Noticed Jefferson wasn't invited, too.

PG: Diggins/???
SG: Loyd/Hayes/K. Mitchell
SF: Moore/Delle Donne
PF: Stewart/N. Ogwumike/Wilson
C: Fowles/Griner

If that happens, one would have to wonder if Inoescu would get a shot. She will be the best guard in the country by her senior year.


J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4367



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/17 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK my opinion on this matter is beginning to change. I was all for letting the veteran players keep their spots in 2016 because I still thought they were so good that even slowed a little by age you could argue that they were still the best at their position, and I did think that their experience and loyalty to and with team USA was enough to keep that at the top of the list. With that said I also assumed that at minimum 50% of the 2016 National team was going to move on and there would be a decent amount of spots opening up to bring in new players for 2018 through say 2024. Now that 11 of the 12 players are still in the pool for the National team going forward I think maybe it is time for the young guns to knock them out of their spots. (Even though I don't think that will happen if all are healthy).

On a different note even if some players are knocked off I don't see Charles as being one of them so I'm a little surprised that so many are pushing her off the roster instead of others. Charles is still in her prime and has diversified her game by improving her defense and increasing her range. And Charles while excelling at the 4 is still capable of playing the 5 on the International scene (yeah you probably don't want her lining up against Cambage, but she can hold her own with most of the other 5 she'll encounter, and will be a match up problem for them on the offensive end).

And a 3rd different point PG of the future. I threw out Jefferson's name after the 2016 Olympics and still think if she gets healthy I could see her there. I also think C. Gray once she gets into the pool is a really good candidate. Logic says it should be Diggins but I have a feeling that just like the Worlds in 14 she'll be competing with Sims for a spot either as more of a combo guard and even though Skylar could easily be on the team and do a great job I'm beginning to think she might be passed over (unfairly) for unknown reasons. While I could see any of the above players as the lead PG in 2020 my new gut feeling is that Staley will want to work with K. Mitchell for that spot (Mitchell is more of a scoring guard but she has to be at OSU) Mitchell has all the tools to play PG (today she had 9 assists 1 turnover while scoring 30 plus points) and playing with other great players on the National team she will be able to make passes, break down the defense and if need be score at will with the single coverage she will often face playing with Moore, EDD, Griner and the like. You bring Mitchell in for that spot now and Dawn won't have to worry about the PG spot until after 2024 when she will probably move on anyway. I'm not saying this is what I think should be done, but it is just a hunch. If Mitchell is one of the new player on the World team in 18 it will be with this intention.


bballjunkie



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 528



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mo is hurt and it will take a while for her to get through this injury which would include camps for the Worlds. I don’t think Bird should be thrown in with DT, last thing I heard she looked really good and no one was close in camp. She could still be a player who USA uses to groom the next PG. Dawn herself always talks about how she became a player who tried to make everyone on the team better as there is enough scoring and it is very difficult for a score first player to run point for USA especially if they don’t have another weapon to offer like lock down D. Truth is some of the players you talk about don’t like playing D let alone getting up full court for the PG position which is what they would need if they are not good team managers. I could see Mo coming back but that would depend on her recovery.

The fact that DT is the one who seems to be struggling, along with Mone, Whalen and Angel not playing in the W I am not sure what Bird and all the talk about the PG is. Or is the focus on one or 2 players that one or 2 people want on the team. This is a message board not the view of the whole of the basketball community or even the members of USA who really have the right to put together a team that has been the most dominant team for many years. A team that should involve players who don’t care about themselves not a team where one player according to some should be on there well because they think there is some kind of conspiracy theory and nothing to do with facts like they may not mesh with the other players or they are not following instructions or they don’t understand the game or they don’t understand how to play team basketball or team defense etc.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 46682



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/18/17 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the best criteria for vetting vets (besides how they look in the current camps) is to see how important they were in the previous tournament two years ago. If they were deep bench players two years ago, I think a player knows it's their time to go and it's kind of a mutual understanding between player and usab. If they're still relevant and getting good minutes because they're getting the job done, then I can't see randomly saying it's your time to go. Cash and Jones were deep bench players in 2014 (and actually I remember Jones being better defensively on Cambage than Charles). Catchings was deep bench in 2016. I'm trying to remember the last vet guard who was deep bench. I'm struggling with that... I might have to research that later. But I don't see that as a bad thing. That's a testament to the dedication of these vet Core 4 guards. They've been very important to the success of usab, and continue to be both in terms of playing and mentoring.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8697



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/19/17 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What exactly was Moriah Jefferson's injury, and when was the surgery?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19945
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/19/17 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
What exactly was Moriah Jefferson's injury, and when was the surgery?

Something knee-ish, and late-September: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/the-local-scene/2017/09/basketball-stars-guard-jefferson-has-knee-surgery/



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8697



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/20/17 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The article was far from informative.

Given that so much of Jefferson's effectiveness is based on her quickness and explosiveness, it's conceivable this could affect her career dramatically.

Or she could be 100% next year.

It's troubling, though, that they took the whole season to decide to do surgery (if it was cut-and-dried why not just get to it?) and that they've never said what it is.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1724



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/20/17 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you have to ask why it is so difficult for USA to bring in new players. I don't buy the theories. I think there are too many selfish one on one players who haven't learned the game, other than trying to pad their stats. You can't just all of a sudden get a basketball IQ. If you have not been held accountable for being a team player and a player who tries to make everyone around them better, then you won't be able to play at that level.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 56041
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/10/18 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brian Agler, Dan Hughes, Cheryl Reeve to Serve as Court Coaches at USA National Team February Minicamp

http://www.wnba.com/news/brian-agler-dan-hughes-cheryl-reeve-serve-court-coaches-usa-national-team-february-minicamp/

Quote:
“When looking at who to ask to be a court coach for the 2018 USA National Team minicamp, these three coaches were the most obvious choices to assist Dawn at our upcoming camp,” said Carol Callan, USA Basketball Women’s National Team director and chair of the USA Women’s National Team Steering Committee. “They all know what it takes to win, they’re all successful coaches in the league and they’ve worked with many of the athletes we will have at the camp. I can’t think of three better coaches to assist Dawn Staley and the USA National Team in February.



_________________
Love is a magical thing
Love will make you feel like a queen or a king
Unicorns, rainbows, lucky charms
Await you in your true love’s arms
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 46682



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/02/18 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/02/wnt-feb-camp-roster-1.aspx

16 members of the 2018-20 USA Basketball Women’s National Team pool
Sue Bird (Seattle Storm)
Tina Charles (New York Liberty)
Layshia Clarendon (Atlanta Dream)
Elena Delle Donne (Washington Mystics)
Skylar Diggins-Smith (Dallas Wings)
Stefanie Dolson (Chicago Sky)
Brittney Griner (Phoenix Mercury)
Tiffany Hayes (Atlanta Dream)
Jewell Loyd (Seattle Storm)
Angel McCoughtry (Atlanta Dream)
Maya Moore (Minnesota Lynx)
Nneka Ogwumike (Los Angeles Sparks)
Kelsey Plum (Las Vegas Aces)
Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury)
Morgan Tuck (Connecticut Sun)
Courtney Williams (Connecticut Sun)

USA National Team hopefuls
Allisha Gray (Dallas Wings)
Chelsea Gray (Los Angeles Sparks)
Tiffany Mitchell (Indiana Fever)
Brittney Sykes (Atlanta Dream)
Sydney Wiese (Los Angeles Sparks)
Elizabeth Williams (Atlanta Dream)

Members of the USA National Team pool who are unavailable to participate in the February camp
Seimone Augustus (Minnesota Lynx)
Napheesa Collier (University of Connecticut)
Asia Durr (University of Louisville)
Jantel Lavender (Los Angeles Sparks)
Kayla McBride (Las Vegas Aces)
Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State University)
Chiney Ogwumike (Connecticut Sun)
Katie Lou Samuelson (University of Connecticut)
Odyssey Sims (Los Angeles Sparks)
A’ja Wilson (University of South Carolina)

Could be available for camp depending on outcome in playoffs
Sylvia Fowles (Minnesota Lynx)
Breanna Stewart (Seattle Storm)



I’m guessing that second group are just getting their feet wet and aren’t serious contenders, although I thought Chelsea Gray might deserve more consideration, especially with the retirement of Whalen.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8697



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/02/18 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notice that Kaela Davis and Diamond DeShields, two very talented players who have been involved with USA Basketball in the past, are not on this list. Sydney Wiese, who no one would accuse of having more skills and more athletic ability than Davis and DeShields, is on the list.

Draw your own conclusions ...



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1724



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/02/18 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not surprised. Doubt Dawn will put any of her players on the team after last nights showing Laughing


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 46682



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/18 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7Vn4JJbHm88" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 2523



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/12/18 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/02/wnt-day-3-quotes.aspx



Quote:
Dawn Staley, 2017-20 USA Basketball Women’s National Team head coach
On who will be the next USA point guard:
They’re all here. Skylar’s out here, Clarendon from the Atlanta Dream, Kelsey Plum, Sydney Wiese, they’re all here. Obviously there’s a need, especially with Lindsay Whalen stepping aside. So, it leaves the door open for some of the young players or some of the players who haven’t been a part of an Olympic-type atmosphere or a World Cup. The committee has given them a real good look to see if they’re fitting into what we’re trying to do here with USA Basketball.


Yikes, Shocked Laughing Poor Chelsea and Odyssey


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19945
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/12/18 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Sydney Wiese makes the US National Team, never mind makes it with the intention of playing her at point guard, I can only imagine the caterwauling that would ensue.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 2523



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/12/18 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
If Sydney Wiese makes the US National Team, never mind makes it with the intention of playing her at point guard, I can only imagine the caterwauling that would ensue.


If that's not a sign of the apocalypse I don't know what is.

Either that or she has some compromising photos of Carol Callan.


Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1724



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/12/18 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoa, that s some BS rich there, Sims and Gray not included but the scrub on the bench who Agler doesn't even trust Laughing


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 56041
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/12/18 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/02/wnt-day-3-quotes.aspx



Quote:
Dawn Staley, 2017-20 USA Basketball Women’s National Team head coach
On who will be the next USA point guard:
They’re all here. Skylar’s out here, Clarendon from the Atlanta Dream, Kelsey Plum, Sydney Wiese, they’re all here. Obviously there’s a need, especially with Lindsay Whalen stepping aside. So, it leaves the door open for some of the young players or some of the players who haven’t been a part of an Olympic-type atmosphere or a World Cup. The committee has given them a real good look to see if they’re fitting into what we’re trying to do here with USA Basketball.


Yikes, Shocked Laughing Poor Chelsea and Odyssey


Sims isn't a point guard. No reason Staley should be considering her for that role.



_________________
Love is a magical thing
Love will make you feel like a queen or a king
Unicorns, rainbows, lucky charms
Await you in your true love’s arms
dtsnms



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 18815



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/13/18 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could we make more bullshit out of nothing?

Sims wasn't in camp, Gray was in her first appearance so Dawn forgot her too when asked.

Who cares? They weren't slighted intentionally I'm sure. I'm sure she threw out the first guards she thought of. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes


Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 2523



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/13/18 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Whoa, that s some BS rich there, Sims and Gray not included but the scrub on the bench who Agler doesn't even trust Laughing



Laughing Laughing Laughing


Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 2523



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/13/18 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/02/wnt-day-3-quotes.aspx



Quote:
Dawn Staley, 2017-20 USA Basketball Women’s National Team head coach
On who will be the next USA point guard:
They’re all here. Skylar’s out here, Clarendon from the Atlanta Dream, Kelsey Plum, Sydney Wiese, they’re all here. Obviously there’s a need, especially with Lindsay Whalen stepping aside. So, it leaves the door open for some of the young players or some of the players who haven’t been a part of an Olympic-type atmosphere or a World Cup. The committee has given them a real good look to see if they’re fitting into what we’re trying to do here with USA Basketball.


Yikes, Shocked Laughing Poor Chelsea and Odyssey


Sims isn't a point guard. No reason Staley should be considering her for that role.




You could say the same thing about Plum and Wiese. Wink


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 46682



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/13/18 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
pilight wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/02/wnt-day-3-quotes.aspx



Quote:
Dawn Staley, 2017-20 USA Basketball Women’s National Team head coach
On who will be the next USA point guard:
They’re all here. Skylar’s out here, Clarendon from the Atlanta Dream, Kelsey Plum, Sydney Wiese, they’re all here. Obviously there’s a need, especially with Lindsay Whalen stepping aside. So, it leaves the door open for some of the young players or some of the players who haven’t been a part of an Olympic-type atmosphere or a World Cup. The committee has given them a real good look to see if they’re fitting into what we’re trying to do here with USA Basketball.


Yikes, Shocked Laughing Poor Chelsea and Odyssey


Sims isn't a point guard. No reason Staley should be considering her for that role.


You could say the same thing about Plum and Wiese. Wink


I hate when people say “_______ is not a point guard” unless it’s obvious they couldn’t play the position. With Sims it’s not so obvious. Even Wiese was a floor general with Oregon St.

Sims made the senior team by the skin of her teeth in 2014. You would think she’d have the advantage and seniority moving forward, but she’s been floundering in Team USA ever since. She didn’t show up to Olympic camps... may have been hurt. Didn’t make the team in 2016. Of course, no young guards made the team. They went with only 4 guards (Bird, Taurasi, Whalen, Augustus) to 8 forwards with a few forwards versatile to play guard in a pinch.

I don’t recall if Sims made it to the fall camp. What was her excuse for missing this one? Only fully established senior team members should feel comfortable about missing camps. Heck, even Maya made the effort to be there after playing 2 games for UMMC. Sims is nothing so special that she’s going to have a spot held for her.

As far as Chelsea Gray goes, she along with the other Gray and Wiese were categorized as “hopefuls”. To me that seems to be the equivalent of the WNBA training camp contract. They’d have to really dazzle to make the team. Because of her size, maybe they aren’t even looking at CGray as PG. Look what she says in her quotes: “You didn’t have to create your own shot, it just comes naturally with the people you have out there on the floor.” Sounds like she was more concerned about somebody creating a shot for her than the other way around.

Of course, they don’t give us much to go on so we try to draw conclusions from what little we have. Can’t expect everybody to agree.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 46682



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/14/18 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cxyFegim0RQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vLlDaSHOvGg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
adamj95



Joined: 09 May 2014
Posts: 1374



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/14/18 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/MechelleV/status/962753117182971904

Quote:
Minnesota's Seimone Augustus missed USA Basketball camp because she's still rehabbing/recovering from a procedure on her knee.



_________________
4 time WNBA Champion, 3rd all time in Assists, Minnesota's own: LINDSAY WHALEN.
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14599
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/14/18 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know something about Loyd health? She didnt participate in all the exercises i think



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/14/18 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Does anyone know something about Loyd health? She didnt participate in all the exercises i think


She did participate partially. She had a stress fracture of the foot which perhaps limited her.


awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1845



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/18 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a pretty good job of burying the lede:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/03/2018-wnt-assistants.aspx

In addition to coaching news, six more players have been added to the pool.
WfanFrJmp



Joined: 24 May 2016
Posts: 576



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/18 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great article on Dawn! For South Carolina coach Dawn Staley, the game is life and life is the game:

http://www.espn.com/espnw/feature/22732028/for-south-carolina-coach-dawn-staley-game-life-life-game?addata=espnw:womenbb:index


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 46682



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/18 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although it looks like it’s not going to happen with this current team, I wish they’d fast track Ionescu as a future face of Team USA women’s basketball.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 15494



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/18 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Although it looks like it’s not going to happen with this current team, I wish they’d fast track Ionescu as a future face of Team USA women’s basketball.


Doesn't seem like it's going to happen for 2018. But I sure hope she's in the pool for 2020.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14141
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/18 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Although it looks like it’s not going to happen with this current team, I wish they’d fast track Ionescu as a future face of Team USA women’s basketball.


Doesn't seem like it's going to happen for 2018. But I sure hope she's in the pool for 2020.


I hope she is on the 2020 team.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/18 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has Ionescu appeared as part of any USA team? They'd better cap her soon. There's a great article from the Oregonian that shows just how seriously she takes her Romanian heritage (http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2018/03/for_oregons_sabrina_ionescu_fa.html , you'll have to turn off your ad blocker but it's worth it) and I can see her deciding to single-handedly build a national team for them if she's eligible.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 56041
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/18 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Has Ionescu appeared as part of any USA team?


Yes. She was on the U16 team that won the FIBA Americas in 2013 and the U17 that won the 2014 Worlds. She was also on the U24 team last year.

https://www.usab.com/basketball/players/womens/i/ionescu-sabrina.aspx



_________________
Love is a magical thing
Love will make you feel like a queen or a king
Unicorns, rainbows, lucky charms
Await you in your true love’s arms
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8697



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/18 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sabrina Ionescu, in fact, broke out at the USA U16 trials. She was one of the uninvited who came to tryouts, and wound up making the team. (Those who think USA Basketball is all political should take note, as no one knew who she was when she got there ...)

Also, even though her parents are Romanian, my understanding is that her USA Basketball experience means she will always count as an American in overseas leagues.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 46682



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/18 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Also, even though her parents are Romanian, my understanding is that her USA Basketball experience means she will always count as an American in overseas leagues.


Didn’t Vandersloot have USA Basketball experience? Pretty sure she did.
Seems like it doesn’t tie you down unless you actually play at the senior level.

https://www.usab.com/basketball/players/womens/v/vandersloot-courtney.aspx

Quote:
Named as a finalist for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Women's Basketball Team on Jan. 25, 2016.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 5404
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/18 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Also, even though her parents are Romanian, my understanding is that her USA Basketball experience means she will always count as an American in overseas leagues.


Didn’t Vandersloot have USA Basketball experience? Pretty sure she did.
Seems like it doesn’t tie you down unless you actually play at the senior level.

https://www.usab.com/basketball/players/womens/v/vandersloot-courtney.aspx

Quote:
Named as a finalist for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Women's Basketball Team on Jan. 25, 2016.


Bump



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
dtsnms



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 18815



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/18 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Also, even though her parents are Romanian, my understanding is that her USA Basketball experience means she will always count as an American in overseas leagues.


Didn’t Vandersloot have USA Basketball experience? Pretty sure she did.
Seems like it doesn’t tie you down unless you actually play at the senior level.

https://www.usab.com/basketball/players/womens/v/vandersloot-courtney.aspx

Quote:
Named as a finalist for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Women's Basketball Team on Jan. 25, 2016.


Bump


I don't believe she's ever played in an actual competition for USA basketball, just camps.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4739
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/27/18 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Has Ionescu appeared as part of any USA team?


Yes. She was on the U16 team that won the FIBA Americas in 2013 and the U17 that won the 2014 Worlds. She was also on the U24 team last year.

https://www.usab.com/basketball/players/womens/i/ionescu-sabrina.aspx


She was near the bottom of the cumulative box score on the U16 and U17 teams. On the U23 team she averaged 10.3 PPG (behind Durr and Mitchell), 2.7 RPG and 2.0 APG.
bballjunkie



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 528



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/29/18 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ClayK"]Sabrina Ionescu, in fact, broke out at the USA U16 trials. She was one of the uninvited who came to tryouts, and wound up making the team. (Those who think USA Basketball is all political should take note, as no one knew who she was when she got there ...)

Also, even though her parents are Romanian, my understanding is that her USA Basketball experience means she will always count as an American in overseas leagues.[/quote]

From what I understand under 19 doesn’t count so she can play for Romania which would be a good bet for her as she likes to run the show.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 56041
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/29/18 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
From what I understand under 19 doesn’t count so she can play for Romania which would be a good bet for her as she likes to run the show.


Does her appearance on the U24 team at the Four Nations tournament count?



_________________
Love is a magical thing
Love will make you feel like a queen or a king
Unicorns, rainbows, lucky charms
Await you in your true love’s arms
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1845



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/29/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
From what I understand under 19 doesn’t count so she can play for Romania which would be a good bet for her as she likes to run the show.


Does her appearance on the U24 team at the Four Nations tournament count?


The Four Nations Tournament was not a FIBA event so it does not count.

Playing for youth national teams does not mean that you cannot switch, but it does require paperwork and other administrative steps.

I would assume any future move to Romania would be a financial consideration for club play, which is the usual reason for Americans to want to be considered European, and not for national team reasons.
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/18 2:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

From what I understand under 19 doesn’t count so she can play for Romania which would be a good bet for her as she likes to run the show.


A good bet for her? Really?


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19945
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/18 2:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plenty of players who 'like to run the show' have managed to settle in just fine with Team USA when it meant winning boatloads of medals. You either fit in with the team ethos a bit, or you get so damn good that you're pretty much running the show for the US as well. Neither of those would particularly surprise me with Ionescu.

And players that heavily entrenched within the USA Basketball system rarely switch countries, certainly not until years later when it's become clear that making the final 12 for tournaments is unlikely. With a name like Ionescu I'd imagine the Romanian hierarchy have already contacted her and offered her a place on their team, and she's chosen to go with the US instead. I'd imagine she'll be American for the forseeable future.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8697



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/18 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Plenty of players who 'like to run the show' have managed to settle in just fine with Team USA when it meant winning boatloads of medals. You either fit in with the team ethos a bit, or you get so damn good that you're pretty much running the show for the US as well. Neither of those would particularly surprise me with Ionescu.

And players that heavily entrenched within the USA Basketball system rarely switch countries, certainly not until years later when it's become clear that making the final 12 for tournaments is unlikely. With a name like Ionescu I'd imagine the Romanian hierarchy have already contacted her and offered her a place on their team, and she's chosen to go with the US instead. I'd imagine she'll be American for the forseeable future.


One would think ... but when I talked to Sabrina's dad, he really had no idea about any of this, hadn't been approached by the Romanians and didn't really know about the advantages of being considered European. And he has been hugely into her career since fourth grade.

This was prior to this season, though, so maybe Romania woke up. But maybe they don't care very much, as one would have thought they would have approached her after she was MVP of the McDonald's game.

(I will check with USA Basketball on eligibility. Someone told me Sabrina could never be considered European because she played for USA Basketball in FIBA-sanctioned events.)



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
fanaticka



Joined: 02 Dec 2011
Posts: 83
Location: Czech Republic


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/18 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Plenty of players who 'like to run the show' have managed to settle in just fine with Team USA when it meant winning boatloads of medals. You either fit in with the team ethos a bit, or you get so damn good that you're pretty much running the show for the US as well. Neither of those would particularly surprise me with Ionescu.

And players that heavily entrenched within the USA Basketball system rarely switch countries, certainly not until years later when it's become clear that making the final 12 for tournaments is unlikely. With a name like Ionescu I'd imagine the Romanian hierarchy have already contacted her and offered her a place on their team, and she's chosen to go with the US instead. I'd imagine she'll be American for the forseeable future.


One would think ... but when I talked to Sabrina's dad, he really had no idea about any of this, hadn't been approached by the Romanians and didn't really know about the advantages of being considered European. And he has been hugely into her career since fourth grade.

This was prior to this season, though, so maybe Romania woke up. But maybe they don't care very much, as one would have thought they would have approached her after she was MVP of the McDonald's game.

(I will check with USA Basketball on eligibility. Someone told me Sabrina could never be considered European because she played for USA Basketball in FIBA-sanctioned events.)


I think there are two different questions which can be important for Ionescu.
1) What national team can she play for.
2) What nationality can she have.

I believe she can have two passports (idk if she does), American and Romanian at once. Which would make her a citizen of the EU and therefore she can be counted as a European on any roster in Europe. Even if she was a US national team member. That would be an advantage for her when getting a contract in Europe.

If she has played for US national team after she turned 18, she cannot play for Romania anymore. Has she?

more on this: http://www.fiba.basketball/downloads/v3_expe/agen/docs/3-ELIGIBILITY-NATIONAL-STATUS-of-%20PLAYERS.pdf


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19945
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/18 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fanaticka wrote:
I believe she can have two passports (idk if she does), American and Romanian at once. Which would make her a citizen of the EU and therefore she can be counted as a European on any roster in Europe. Even if she was a US national team member. That would be an advantage for her when getting a contract in Europe.

Nah, they closed that hole several years ago. Nowadays, if you actually play for a country at senior level in FIBA competition, that's locked as your nationality for club basketball. So even if, say, Diana Taurasi has strong enough Italian roots to claim a passport, she'd still count as American for her club.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8697



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
fanaticka wrote:
I believe she can have two passports (idk if she does), American and Romanian at once. Which would make her a citizen of the EU and therefore she can be counted as a European on any roster in Europe. Even if she was a US national team member. That would be an advantage for her when getting a contract in Europe.

Nah, they closed that hole several years ago. Nowadays, if you actually play for a country at senior level in FIBA competition, that's locked as your nationality for club basketball. So even if, say, Diana Taurasi has strong enough Italian roots to claim a passport, she'd still count as American for her club.


So is it only the senior level? In other words, if Sabrina never made the
WNT, she could be a European in terms of club ball?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1845



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/18 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA Basketball announces that the exhibition opponent will be China:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/04/wnt-v-chn-announced.aspx

A chance to scout Li Yueru for the 2019 draft?
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1845



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/18 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is who will be available:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/04/april-wnt-camp-roster.aspx

Tina, Chiney, Odyssey, and Courtney are the pros not available who are not missing it due to overseas play.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin