RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

2018 Team USA
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1569



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/17 11:00 pm    ::: 2018 Team USA Reply Reply with quote

As was expected, they will be doing a training camp soon to start evaluating players. What is more interesting is seeing which college coaches were invited to help out:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/08/wnt-court-coaches.aspx

I know that no other time works for the college coaches, but I really hate the timing of this camp. Not only will players be out during the WNBA playoffs, but you are asking a lot of fringe players to choose between possibly upsetting the foreign clubs that pay the bulk of their salary and the chance to represent the United States. I would much prefer WNBA coaches took charge of the camps during the European international breaks and maybe there could be a college coach led camp in April for players who take the overseas season off or play outside of Europe.
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14627



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at the roster from the 2016 Olympics, I think it's time team USA replaced some of the aging vets(Whalen, Bird, Augustus & Taurasi). Along with Catchings, that would be 5 spots available for the 2018 team. Parker replaces Catchings. Diggins replaces Whalen. Jefferson(if healthy) replaces Bird. Loyd replaces Taurasi. And N. Ogwumike replaces Augustus. With the team kind of heavy at SF/PF, I wonder if McCoughtry gets replaced by a guard(C. Gray?)?

PG: Diggins/Jefferson/C. Gray
SG: Moore/Loyd
SF: Delle Donne/Parker
PF: Charles/Stewart/Ogwumike
C: Fowles/Griner
LAST CUTS: McCoughtry, A. Gray, Dolson, Hayes



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1257



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With all the talk about no-one being good enough in the recent rotation, IMO they will leap frog some players. Jefferson is hurt, Lloyd is a gunner, Ogwumike et al are all 4/5s which is 7 players virtually for the same spots. The only newbie could be Diggins IMO but I am not sure they like her. So I see fresh blood being brought in. That would make sense as their are too many egos in your group.

BTW love C Gray but the knock will be her quickness at the PG position.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44570



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trying to be a little more realistic here

Bird/Diggins
Taurasi/Loyd
Moore/McCoughtry
Parker/Stewart/NOgwumike/Delle Donne/Wilson
Fowles/Griner/Charles

Guard bubbles (will benefit if going younger)
Sims, CGray, AGray, Hayes

How does Staley not work Wilson into the fray after Geno has done it with his players for so many years? There's an overload at PF as usual. I suspect a couple will have illness, injury, or other excuse when the time comes.

If Staley wants to go younger at guard, maybe Bird and Taurasi will be on the outside looking in, but they're both in good enough shape to be on the team. Bird is having a very good season.

Leaving the true elite SF's in their position instead of forcing the versatile bigs there.

I believe Charles has always traditionally been slotted as a center in the Team USA system.

Expect the debate will be heavy and brutal on this team.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14627



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, the post options for Team USA is stacked. You have the locks of Griner, Charles, Fowles & Stewart. Parker should be a lock. Delle Donne will play SF. Hopefully this doesn't leave out N. Ogwumike. The SG spot seems to be the thinnest to replace. There's basically Loyd, Sims(combo) & Hayes.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44570



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Delle Donne will play SF.


No, your Magic 8 ball is broken. She's one my top candidates to not be available for whatever reason.

In 2014, Parker, Catchings, and Delle Donne were all not available. Made things a little easier.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14627



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Delle Donne will play SF.


No, your Magic 8 ball is broken. She's one my top candidates to not be available for whatever reason.

In 2014, Parker, Catchings, and Delle Donne were all not available. Made things a little easier.


Unless one of the locks sits out or is injured, EDD will be playing SF. Would suck for Ogwumike to get cut because of this.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11856



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
The only newbie could be Diggins IMO but I am not sure they like her.


No, just the former head coach (and Shades).

So, it depends if Geno is still calling the shots. If so, you can probably cross Parker and Diggins off the list.

I thought he was done with it until he showed up as the newly created workout czar for the U24 team this summer talking about how his role was all about having the invited players build and demonstrate skills for their future participation on the senior team.


#Occasionalwnbafan



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Posts: 1172



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any chance Aj’a Wilson could make this team?
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14481
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they have to consider Diggins. She is having an great season. She just has to prove that she can switch that into a more of a passing role.



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14627



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Any chance Aj’a Wilson could make this team?


Not in 2018. Too much talent in the post for 2018. It's possible someone like Ogwumike or Parker might not make the team.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19595
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You guys do tend to give less of a shit about Worlds than the Olympics though, which does tend to lead to more dropouts. Sims, Dupree and pre-MVP-Nneka were all there in 2014. But I'd be surprised if they got far enough down the list for Wilson to make it. That squad toad455 listed above had seven players who are really 4/5s unless you're shoehorning them in becuase they're too good to leave out. If one or two are unavailable you probably go perimeter for the replacement.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44570



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Any chance Aj’a Wilson could make this team?


You'd have to think so.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44570



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
The only newbie could be Diggins IMO but I am not sure they like her.


No, just the former head coach (and Shades).


She's on my proposed 2018 roster, and I campaigned heavily for her for the 2014 team, but never mind the facts.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
#Occasionalwnbafan



Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Posts: 1172



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Any chance Aj’a Wilson could make this team?


Not in 2018. Too much talent in the post for 2018. It's possible someone like Ogwumike or Parker might not make the team.


Or maybe Delle’s done, I mean you could always play Parker as somewhat of a 3.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11856



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
I think they have to consider Diggins. She is having an great season. She just has to prove that she can switch that into a more of a passing role.


So being 4th in the league in apg isn't good enough? And that's on a team where she's also the top scoring option.

It's a lot easier to rack up assists if you have Stewart and Loyd, or Parker and Ogwumike, or Delle Donne and Meesseman or Moore and Fowles, or Griner, or Jones or the like as targets for your passes and aren't expected to be your team's leading scorer.

Averaging 5.8 apg in her situation seems pretty good.


J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4070



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Worlds always has some unexpected players not being available as well as some others getting a decent audition so I'm guessing something like

Diggins/C. Gray/J. Thomas or Jefferson
Loyd/Sims
Moore/McCoughtry
N. Ogwumike/Stewart/Charles
Griner/Wilson

Some PG auditions, Loyd gets her first shot, Sims gets her second. A Vet who took the W season off reminds everyone that she is one of the best American's playing basketball. Staley continues the college tradition with Wilson (even if she has to call her a Center, but Charles, Stewart and Nneka can all play Center in the international games as well without hurting the team. And SC won a National Championship with Wilson playing at Center for a bunch of minutes). ANd if more spots open up I won't be completely shocked to see A. Thomas or Dolson, or if Sims or Loyd or other guards pass I could see someone like K. Mitchell work her way in or maybe even SC alumni A. Gray. There will be a surprise or two for the Worlds. Also if Parker wants back in they'll give her a spot, but I'm not sure she will want to do it, pure speculation on my part, just a feeling.

But no one above should relax minus the Olympic alumni because DT, EDD, and Fowles will likely be trying to get back into the mix for 20.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14627



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

everyone thinking Wilson is a lock because of Staley needs to second guess themselves. The post options for 2018 are stacked. There's Fowles, Griner, Charles, N. Ogwumike, Parker, Stewart, Delle Donne, Dolson. I doubt I see Wilson making the team. 2020, probably.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4070



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We'll see I'm almost second guessing myself and thinking A. Gray makes it over Sims.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44570



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
everyone thinking Wilson is a lock because of Staley needs to second guess themselves. The post options for 2018 are stacked.


The post options were stacked in 2016, and yet Stewart leap frogged Parker and Ogwumike. I guess you're saying Staley don't have it like Geno.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14627



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
everyone thinking Wilson is a lock because of Staley needs to second guess themselves. The post options for 2018 are stacked.


The post options were stacked in 2016, and yet Stewart leap frogged Parker and Ogwumike. I guess you're saying Staley don't have it like Geno.


or that Staley would put a rookie on her roster over Stewart, Ogwumike or Parker.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11856



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
everyone thinking Wilson is a lock because of Staley needs to second guess themselves. The post options for 2018 are stacked.


The post options were stacked in 2016, and yet Stewart leap frogged Parker and Ogwumike. I guess you're saying Staley don't have it like Geno.


or that Staley would put a rookie on her roster over Stewart, Ogwumike or Parker.


Or that the committee isn't going to bow down to whatever Staley wants the way they did to Geno.


J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4070



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/17 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to make my guess even weirder and more out there. I think many current stars skip the Worlds, Staley has not as much input as Geno but still gets to work with players she is familiar with (especially if they're coming off rookie of the year or MVP of the National Championship team that Staley coached on their way to being the next #1 pick in the WNBA to be part of the National team in other words enough of a legit resume to get by). And the Worlds gets a youth movement/audition for the future kind of look. Which doesn't mean a lot of the usual suspects won't be back in 2020

Diggins/C. Gray/J. Thomas or Jefferson (if healthy)
Loyd/A. Gray (glue player, doesn't need the ball or shots to be effective playing alongside the big guns)
Moore/McCoughtry
N. Ogwumike/Stewart/Wilson
Griner/Dolson


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14481
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/28/17 4:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
I think they have to consider Diggins. She is having an great season. She just has to prove that she can switch that into a more of a passing role.


So being 4th in the league in apg isn't good enough? And that's on a team where she's also the top scoring option.

It's a lot easier to rack up assists if you have Stewart and Loyd, or Parker and Ogwumike, or Delle Donne and Meesseman or Moore and Fowles, or Griner, or Jones or the like as targets for your passes and aren't expected to be your team's leading scorer.

Averaging 5.8 apg in her situation seems pretty good.


Its also easier to rack up assists when you have the ball in your hands almost all the time.. That is not going to be the case with team USA. As a fan of true pointguards i think that Diggins still dribbles the ball too much and holds on the ball too long. You cant have that with team USA.
So yes i think she is having a great season and that she should be seriously considered for a spot on the team and a chance to prove that she is their PG for the future. BUT she has to think pass first..



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20727



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/28/17 6:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

BTW love C Gray but the knock will be her quickness at the PG position.


Neither Bird nor Whalen are the quickest things in sneakers either. It hasn't hampered them too much.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8467



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/28/17 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A'ja Wilson is not as good as Breanna Stewart, so I don't think that comparison works.

But if four of the posts drop out, for whatever reason, she's got a shot.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1257



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/28/17 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wilson is nothing like Stewart and her position is loaded. I think both Whalen and Bird are done, but Bird is much quicker. Love C Gray, she does have Sims and Beard, Fear the Beard, love that, right next to her though.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14627



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/28/17 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do hope Bird and Whalen realize it's time to pass the torch to the younger PGs now.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Speebs56



Joined: 19 Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Location: Orange county, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/28/17 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why isn't Vandersloot in the conversation for PG? She's had a solid WNBA season, once back from overseas and settled in....and she's a real PG.

Not interested in invective here - really am curious.


miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 969



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/28/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
Why isn't Vandersloot in the conversation for PG? She's had a solid WNBA season, once back from overseas and settled in....and she's a real PG.

Not interested in invective here - really am curious.


She's Hungarian now because USAB wouldn't give her a shot. She can't play for the US anymore.

Unless your question was why USAB didn't bring her along... then I have no idea.


dtsnms



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 18611



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/28/17 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
Why isn't Vandersloot in the conversation for PG? She's had a solid WNBA season, once back from overseas and settled in....and she's a real PG.

Not interested in invective here - really am curious.


She's Hungarian now because USAB wouldn't give her a shot. She can't play for the US anymore.

Unless your question was why USAB didn't bring her along... then I have no idea.


Vandersloot was brought to the USAB camps. Sorry, but she didn't beat out Bird and Whalen for the Olympics and didn't want to wait any longer.


Speebs56



Joined: 19 Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Location: Orange county, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/28/17 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah -- ok, thanks for the insight. I knew she'd played abroad but didn't realize she'd forsaken her USA b-ball citizenship. Good to know!


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14481
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/28/17 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
Why isn't Vandersloot in the conversation for PG? She's had a solid WNBA season, once back from overseas and settled in....and she's a real PG.

Not interested in invective here - really am curious.


She's Hungarian now because USAB wouldn't give her a shot. She can't play for the US anymore.

Unless your question was why USAB didn't bring her along... then I have no idea.


Vandersloot was brought to the USAB camps. Sorry, but she didn't beat out Bird and Whalen for the Olympics and didn't want to wait any longer.


USA where going to give the spot to Sims or Diggins before Sloot. Not because she didnt beat out Bird and Whalen



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
bballjunkie



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 337



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/29/17 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are no replacements up to this point. However, considering how USA plays, I can see them going with taller, longer guards, similar to how they Used DT. Cross off the gunners though, USA wants passers and high IQ players.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44570



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/29/17 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Cross off the gunners though, USA wants passers and high IQ players.


Bentley is out, huh? Shucks. How about Plum? Will she be invited to camp? How can the #1 pick not get a camp invite? She doesn't seem to be making any body's depth chart. Wasserman won't be happy.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 6649



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the most interesting question surrounding international competition is which country will nationalize Jonquel Jones. I'd be happy to give her a US passport, but I don't know if the INS works that quickly. (I may be wrong about that though.) Plus the current administration seems to not be "immigration friendly." It would be pretty interesting if she ended up with Spain or Australia - two of the traditional threats to win medals.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 19595
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I think the most interesting question surrounding international competition is which country will nationalize Jonquel Jones. I'd be happy to give her a US passport, but I don't know if the INS works that quickly. (I may be wrong about that though.) Plus the current administration seems to not be "immigration friendly." It would be pretty interesting if she ended up with Spain or Australia - two of the traditional threats to win medals.

According to awhom111, who's generally right about these things, Jones has already played for the Bahamas in international competition and therefore can't play for anyone else. I was wondering the same thing earlier in the season and expecting her to end up playing for one of the European powers.

ETA: On top of that, Tiffany Hayes - mentioned above by a couple of people as a US contender - is presumably ineligible after her appearances for Azerbaijan a couple of years ago.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44570



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I think the most interesting question surrounding international competition is which country will nationalize Jonquel Jones. I'd be happy to give her a US passport, but I don't know if the INS works that quickly. (I may be wrong about that though.) Plus the current administration seems to not be "immigration friendly." It would be pretty interesting if she ended up with Spain or Australia - two of the traditional threats to win medals.


She was born in the Bahamas.

If Korea was interested in Amber Harris, I'm sure they could be interested in Jones. She played in the league last off season..... but she's moving to China next season.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44570



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Tiffany Hayes - mentioned above by a couple of people as a US contender - is presumably ineligible after her appearances for Azerbaijan a couple of years ago.


If this is true, I guess it shows how frustrating it can be waiting to move up in the US system. Azerbaijan? Confused



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1569



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well if Geno was not going to call up Tip, she probably was not planning on ever being in consideration.

Azerbaijan was a pretty smart choice for her and Aneika. They don't really have enough players to have a full 5x5 team so they basically had no obligations outside of the single 3x3 tournament. Maybe they can qualify for the Olympics in a few years. They both still get the full benefits of having a European passport without any threat of needing to do anything further to earn it. I think some players have Armenian passports, which amounts to the same thing.

Talking specifically about this camp, who do we think will be invited to make up the numbers? Since we have no idea what commitments the collegians might have, I guess we will stick to the WNBA players.

The Stars are at the bottom, so let's take a look at their roster with the assumption that all teams not making the Finals will contribute a few players each:
Kayla Alexander, Foreign
Cierra Burdick
Nia Coffey
Sydney Colson
Dearica Hamby
Isabelle Harrison
Sequoia Holmes
Moriah Jefferson, Injured
Kayla McBride
Alex Montgomery
Shay Murphy, Foreign
Kelsey Plum

McBride will presumably get invited and I would guess Plum would too. If there are enough missing players, could we see a Hamby or Harrison invite?

Also, South Korea has made lots of noise about trying to naturalize players, but they have not actually done so outside of players who chose Korean citizenship over the citizenship of their non-Korean parent. Harris did not get naturalized and neither did Aaron Haynes. Ricardo Ratliffe is supposed to get naturalized at some point, but it is not clear if that will succeed either.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44570



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/30/17 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Talking specifically about this camp, who do we think will be invited to make up the numbers? Since we have no idea what commitments the collegians might have, I guess we will stick to the WNBA players.


Oh no... Wilson gets an invite.

awhom111 wrote:
If there are enough missing players, could we see a Hamby or Harrison invite?


No way.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PickledGinger



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 321



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/30/17 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the sake of putting some experience under the belts of the youngsters and building for the future, I think Bird, Whalen, Taurasi, Augustus and Fowles should all step aside. 4 guards. For the sake of balance, I see Moore moving over to the 2. This is how I see it:

Diggins-Smith / 2 of Clarendon, C. Gray, Jefferson, McBride, Sims
Moore / Loyd
Delle Donne / McCoughtry
Parker / Stewart / N. Ogwumike
Griner / Charles

The other 3 guards, Wilson and Dolson are the top candidates as replacements.


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14481
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/30/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes the top MVP candidate should step aside Rolling Eyes



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44570



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/30/17 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
For the sake of putting some experience under the belts of the youngsters and building for the future, I think Bird, Whalen, Taurasi, Augustus and Fowles should all step aside. 4 guards. For the sake of balance, I see Moore moving over to the 2. This is how I see it:

Diggins-Smith / 2 of Clarendon, C. Gray, Jefferson, McBride, Sims
Moore / Loyd
Delle Donne / McCoughtry
Parker / Stewart / N. Ogwumike
Griner / Charles

The other 3 guards, Wilson and Dolson are the top candidates as replacements.


There is just no way. The only way you could have a clunkier or slower starting 5 would be to start C Gray.

Maybe Maya could be a guard in the future if she were to trim down some more. She's not at that place. McCoughtry, maybe, but I'm not feeling this notion of putting players in unfamiliar positions. McBride as a PG?

And finally, what's the argument that Fowles is too old but Parker isn't? Same draft class. The PF is the overloaded position, so maybe they should take the "old" ones out of that position.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PickledGinger



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 321



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/30/17 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So you would rather sacrifice elite talent for the sake of keeping everyone in a comfortable position? Come on, these are the best and most versatile players in the WORLD, I'm not buying for a second that Moore couldn't play the 2 and excel there against international talent.

I guess I forget that Parker's getting up there in age too. Maybe she should step aside as well, open up another spot on the perimeter that way. But leaving any of the other posts off for the sake of a borderline guard just to keep everyone "comfortable" would be a mistake. They're professionals, they can handle it.


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14481
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/30/17 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
So you would rather sacrifice elite talent for the sake of keeping everyone in a comfortable position? Come on, these are the best and most versatile players in the WORLD, I'm not buying for a second that Moore couldn't play the 2 and excel there against international talent.

I guess I forget that Parker's getting up there in age too. Maybe she should step aside as well, open up another spot on the perimeter that way. But leaving any of the other posts off for the sake of a borderline guard just to keep everyone "comfortable" would be a mistake. They're professionals, they can handle it.


Have you seen Maya's ball handling skills or lack there off? But i do agree with you that team USA would still crush teams even if some players play out of position.



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 1569



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/31/17 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
Talking specifically about this camp, who do we think will be invited to make up the numbers? Since we have no idea what commitments the collegians might have, I guess we will stick to the WNBA players.


Oh no... Wilson gets an invite.

awhom111 wrote:
If there are enough missing players, could we see a Hamby or Harrison invite?


No way.


I meant that we have no way of knowing which collegians would have to decline an invite if they got one. There will almost certainly be multiple at camp. Here was the corresponding camp roster in 2013:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2013/09/thirteen-usa-national-team-gold-medal-veterans-headline-talented-2013-usa-basketball-womens-national.aspx

I think I have the Fever's injury situation right:
Natalie Achonwa, Foreign
Marissa Coleman
Candice Dupree
Jazmon Gwathmey, Reserve
Jennifer Hamson
Briann January, Injured
Shenise Johnson, Injured
Erlana Larkins
Erica McCall
Tiffany Mitchell, Injured
Jeanette Pohlen
Jennie Simms
Erica Wheeler

I put Reserve by Gwathmey to note that it would be great if she played for Puerto Rico. Obviously, USA Basketball would not call her, but I was frustrated that they put Victor Oladipo and Devin Booker on the men's select team instead of snubbing them and forcing them to choose Nigeria and Puerto Rico respectively.

I would bet that Staley would not mind having Dupree around in camp, but since a roster spot would be out of the question, I do not think she could drag her away from family time.
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14627



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/31/17 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Invites? Well my 30 invites would be:

B. Stewart
S. Bird
J. Loyd
C. Parker
N. Ogwumike
C. Gray
D. Taurasi
B. Griner
K. McBride
M. Jefferson
K. Plum
L. Whalen
S. Augustus
M. Moore
S. Fowles
S. Diggins
G. Johnson
A. Gray
S. Dolson
T. Mitchell
A. McCoughtry
E. Williams
E. Delle Donne
T. Charles
J. Thomas
A. Thomas
A. Wilson
G. Williams
D. DeShields
K. Mitchell



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bballjunkie



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 337



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/01/17 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jefferson is injured.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44570



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/01/17 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the thing, toad. You seem to want to go younger, but you're still inviting Bird, Whalen, and Taurasi to camp. That doesn't make any sense to me. If the directive is to go younger, then don't invite them. Let them know ahead of time that it's time to go younger. Don't invite them to camp and insult them by cutting them. If they get invited, they're going to be the savviest players out there. They're old but they don't have to carry the load on this team. If they want to be there and they get invited to be there, how you gonna cut them?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin