RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Team USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/17/18 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I have been pretty bad at my guesses Tuck, Plum, Williams and Clarendon over Sims, Deshields, Ionescu and the Mitchell's. Not saying they made the wrong choices just the complete opposite of what I thought would happen.

Tuck would probably be my last cut I don't think she is more of a 3 than EDD, Stewart or for that matter Ogwumike or Charles. Who is the fastest of the posts as a SF my guess is Ogwumike so maybe she becomes the default 3 so

Bird/Plum/Clarendon
DT/Loyd
Stewart/Ogwumike
Charles/EDD/Wilson
Fowles/E. Williams

but Tuck has been starting so

Bird/Plum/Clarendon
DT/Loyd
Stewart/Tuck
Charles/Ogwumike/EDD
Griner/Wilson

I guess or Clarendon

Bird/Plum
DT/Loyd
Stewart/N. Ogwumike/Tuck
Charles/EDD/Wilson
Griner/Williams

OK I will stick with Tuck as the cut but I am sure I am wrong,

just for fun swapping in the earlier cuts

Bird/Sims/Ionescu (Or Plum or K. Mitchell)
DT/Loyd
Stewart/Deshields
Charles/N. Ogwumike/EDD
Griner/Wilson

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/18/18 4:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think we will see this line-up a lot:

Bird, Loyd, Taurasi, Stewart and Griner

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/18/18 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

I agree ... and depending on the athleticism of the opposition, Stewart and EDD could both play the three as they shoot well enough to spread the floor. The issue would be on the other end, but if there's a wing either can guard, why not get them more minutes?

PostPosted: 09/18/18 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's unfair after a season where she easily could've been All-WNBA second team, but I can't help but be unenthused about adding Loyd (and relying on her enough to be a de facto starter). She's just essentially disappeared for three-quarters of her team's playoff games. And now she's a key cog in a World Cup for Team USA? Won't be the least bit surprised if she's sat on the bench in high-leverage moments.

PostPosted: 09/18/18 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It's unfair after a season where she easily could've been All-WNBA second team, but I can't help but be unenthused about adding Loyd (and relying on her enough to be a de facto starter). She's just essentially disappeared for three-quarters of her team's playoff games. And now she's a key cog in a World Cup for Team USA? Won't be the least bit surprised if she's sat on the bench in high-leverage moments.

she is definitely an on-again/off-again player. When she's on, very useful. When she's off, set her on the bench.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/18/18 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I agree ... and depending on the athleticism of the opposition, Stewart and EDD could both play the three as they shoot well enough to spread the floor. The issue would be on the other end, but if there's a wing either can guard, why not get them more minutes?

This is such a misnomer because with their length they can get a hand in the lane and be far enough off to get back in position especially when you have someone like Griner behind you or you can switch defense with another long player. WELL Stewie anyway Laughing Laughing

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/18/18 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I wouldnt start her but i think she is the best perimeter defender on this team (yes i know that doesnt mean much on this team Laughing ) she has great chemistry with 2 of your starters already and it allows you to move Taurasi to the 3 spot. So yeah i would certainly give her minutes on this team. You can always bench her when her shot isnt falling

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/18/18 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Won't be the least bit surprised if she's sat on the bench in high-leverage moments.

Assuming there actually are any of those for Team USA.

PostPosted: 09/18/18 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Won't be the least bit surprised if she's sat on the bench in high-leverage moments.

Assuming there actually are any of those for Team USA.

Certainly a fair point. Although it's meant to be these additional players - including Loyd - who are going to raise them above the level of how they've played in the warm-up games. And while they ultimately won all of those, some of them were pretty damn close.

If everything goes to seeding, a semi against Spain (with a partisan crowd behind them) and then a final against France or Australia could hopefully present some threatening moments.

PostPosted: 09/18/18 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FUN FUN FUN

toad455

PostPosted: 09/18/18 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Things actually balance out better if Williams is the last cut.

PG: Bird/Clarendon/Plum
SG: Taurasi/Loyd
SF: Delle Donne/Tuck
PF: Charles/Stewart/Wilson
C: Griner/Ogwumike

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/18/18 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

This team is deficient of defending guards and outside shooting. I do not understand AT ALL the cutting of both DD and T.Mitchell. Tuck has played well in the pre tournament games but is not known for her defense - especially when the opponent is playing a guard at SF. With regards to T.Mitchell, it's almost like Dawn is bending over backwards to not be accused of the same blatant bias Geno had in taking Swin Cash and Asjha Jones to the Olympics when neither one had earned the honor with recent play.

~rAf
toad455

PostPosted: 09/18/18 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would have easily kept DeShields & Sims over Tuck & Clarendon. Odd decisions.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/19/18 2:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

This team is deficient of defending guards and outside shooting. I do not understand AT ALL the cutting of both DD and T.Mitchell. Tuck has played well in the pre tournament games but is not known for her defense - especially when the opponent is playing a guard at SF. With regards to T.Mitchell, it's almost like Dawn is bending over backwards to not be accused of the same blatant bias Geno had in taking Swin Cash and Asjha Jones to the Olympics when neither one had earned the honor with recent play.

Ill give you the lack of defense but outside shooting no. Hell no! Mitchell would be the last player on this team that i want to shoot from the outside Shocked
She is a fantastic 29% from 3 in her rookie year, 34,9 in her 2nd year and 27% in her 3rd year and she is a trigger happy bricker.. Not really what you need on this team.

You got 2 of the best outside shooters of all time in Taurasi and Bird, then EDD and Stewie a step behind that and then Charles and Nneka who can shoot from 3 aswell if they need to. Then you got Plum from the bench as a pure shooter, Loyd is a better shooter then Mitchell and DD and Tuck is also a better shooter then both of those.

All in all outside shooting is enough on this team but i agree with you that they could use some defense and i would have picked DD over Tuck for that reason. But there must be a reason why Staley/the committee decided to go with Tuck instead. Maybe she would handle being the 11 or 12th player on this team better then DD. Better glue player or better for the chemistry of the team?

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/19/18 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree ... DeShields instead of Tuck makes a lot of sense to me. I'm unclear what Tuck will bring to the table, aside from a willingness to be at the end of the bench and be happy there.

DeShields has apparently cleaned up her previous attitude issues at the WNBA level, but maybe she still has trouble fitting in with USA Basketball.

PostPosted: 09/19/18 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Team USA played a scrimmage against Australia. Not much detail about it other than the new arrivals got their first chance to play with the team against some competition.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wnt-scr-aus-9-19.aspx

Quote:
Tina Charles (New York Liberty) scored 15 points, and Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury) dished out four assists. Charles and Kelsey Plum (Las Vegas Aces) each grabbed six rebounds.

No word on who played for Australia and how they did. If Cambage sat out, for instance, that’d make a huge difference.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 09/19/18 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a few videos on Twitter showing Cambage participated.

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 09/19/18 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wnt-scr-aus-9-19.aspx

weird seeing Sami on the other team Confused but--good for her!!

toad455

PostPosted: 09/19/18 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams is the last cut according to Twitter.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/19/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And according to USA Basketball: https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wwc-team-named.aspx

That's the cut that makes the most sense to me, given the 13 they'd left themselves with. There's just no way you should be taking seven posts into the tournament.

Hilarious that after all the whining about Geno supposedly picking his teams, arguably the most surprising member of this squad still went to UConn.

PostPosted: 09/19/18 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'll be curious to see which ones on this roster will not be there for the Olympics in 2 years. Doubtful for Bird and Taurasi.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/18 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least Tuck played well enough to be validated. Clarendon’s stats were fairly mundane, and she was a 5-exhibition game starter. I suppose it could say she was being a team player and that’s what they were looking for from her.

What do those two players have in common, they are both bench players for the Connecticut Sun, which is coached by a member of the selection committee. Geno acts as an “advisor” to the committee. So it’s looking like the selection committee has some strong pull this time around. Staley only got one SC player on the team, and she was only one of the best players in the WNBA this past season and the best player during the exhibition games.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/19/18 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
It'll be curious to see which ones on this roster will not be there for the Olympics in 2 years. Doubtful for Bird and Taurasi.

But don't Americans basically value the Olympics a gazillion miles above the Worlds? Would they have bothered sticking around and showing up for this tournament if they weren't intending to be there in two years?

I fully expect those two to be in Tokyo, barring injury. The more likely players to miss out are the backups - even though they're younger - if more people show up next time or emerge over the next two years.

PostPosted: 09/19/18 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
At least Tuck played well enough to be validated. Clarendon’s stats were fairly mundane, and she was a 5-exhibition game starter. I suppose it could say she was being a team player and that’s what they were looking for from her.

What do those two players have in common, they are both bench players for the Connecticut Sun, which is coached by a member of the selection committee. Geno acts as an “advisor” to the committee. So it’s looking like the selection committee has some strong pull this time around. Staley only got one SC player on the team, and she was only one of the best players in the WNBA this past season and the best player during the exhibition games.

Clarendon's selection is a bit of puzzle, however, it would not have looked the same if it was the 2017 season that just ended. She was a WNBA All Star and put up some lofty assist numbers albeit for a lottery team. Staley was at some Dream games last year - maybe she saw something she liked. Another issue is who was better among PG candidates that actually showed up.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/19/18 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Curt Miller has undue influence on the selection process, he's arguably using it incorrectly. Doesn't having two of your backups on the National Team imply that you've been starting the wrong people on your own team? Laughing I think there's more going on here than just favoritism.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 20 of 23

Jump to: