Board Junkies Forums

2018 Team USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/14/18 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

If anyone has a personal agenda right now its you Zune and i dont mean that in a bad way. You are the biggest DD fan on this board so i get why your frustrated that she got cut.

I think there are multiple question marks around the selections of a few players right now or why they are still there and players like Sims and DD got cut. It might be personal preference from the coach because of their history with her program, it might be the right mindset/teamspirit, or chemistry with other teammates. I dont think we ever going to find out the real reason.

I get what you’re saying...but my agenda is backed up by performance and logic while I believe Staley/USA Basketball have a touch of bias built into their decision making. Not necessarily against Diamond, but for other players who have connections to the selecting committee and assistant Coaches past(Mike T) and present(Hughes)..I’m sure Coach Mike T is lobbying for A.Atkins and D.Hughes for A.Clark.Staley could also have interest in adding A.Atkins or A.Clark to the pool of Olympic hopefuls….M.Moore will definitely make the 2020 Olympic team. That leaves room for one more small forward. It could come down to Atkins vs DeShields...DD making the final roster and putting a good effort at Worlds would've given her a slight advantage over Atkins (Candace Parker would probably disagree)…..I'd have no problem with Atkins or Clark making the Olympic team...I just think Diamond had a golden opportunity snatched away from her.

I got your back Zune, and I agree. This was a bad move, no other way to put it.

I doubt playing for USA is as attractive to the younger generation, see CP and the year round schedule. This just makes it less attractive. Sky may have also realized that from a business and money perspective it just puts more wear and tear on your body and for not much in return.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/14/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Maybe awhom or one of our other European friends will have a link.

Can't find any mention of a webstream on any of the French federation/league's websites, so we might be out of luck unless it happens to be on a TV channel that has its own stream. Or you're anywhere near Antibes for the next few days.

For what its worth, the group page for access to the live boxscores is here: http://live.ffbb.com/

PostPosted: 09/14/18 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Anyone know if they are broadcasting the remainder of the pre-tournament matches?

Four years ago, the World Championship Finals were broadcast on ESPN2; Streamed on ESPN3 (or whatever they call it nowadays)

The rest of the tournament games were broadcast on NBA TV; Streamed on ESPN3

The pre-tournament exhibition didn’t look to be broadcast for USA television, but someone posted what looked to be rogue stream at drakulastream.eu

This year on the FIBA site they’re showing the actual games as being streamed on livebasketball.tv, whch doesn’t appear to be a free service.... maybe 9.99/mo? Hopefully it’ll be the NBA TV/ESPN3 again this time for the USA viewers. Anybody seeing it on their NBA or ESPN3 schedules?

On the USAB.com site, they haven’t updated any viewing options, but I expect they’ll do so, not soon enough for some.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 09/14/18 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
Anyone know if they are broadcasting the remainder of the pre-tournament matches?

Four years ago, the World Championship Finals were broadcast on ESPN2; Streamed on ESPN3 (or whatever they call it nowadays)

The rest of the tournament games were broadcast on NBA TV; Streamed on ESPN3

The pre-tournament exhibition didn’t look to be broadcast for USA television, but someone posted what looked to be rogue stream at drakulastream.eu

This year on the FIBA site they’re showing the actual games as being streamed on livebasketball.tv, whch doesn’t appear to be a free service.... maybe 9.99/mo? Hopefully it’ll be the NBA TV/ESPN3 again this time for the USA viewers. Anybody seeing it on their NBA or ESPN3 schedules?

On the USAB.com site, they haven’t updated any viewing options, but I expect they’ll do so, not soon enough for some.

Gotcha! Thanks for the info!

I'm hopeful we'll find a link bc it looks like the men's team will be on ESPN+ sooooo ummm, you know how they like to do us...lol!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/14/18 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As awhom111 already mentioned in the World Cup thread, most of the actual World Cup is on ESPN+ in the US:
awhom111 wrote:
Looking at the advance ESPN listings, it looks like all group play and the first round of playoffs will be on ESPN+. ESPNU lists one quarterfinal and one semifinals with the others on ESPN+. The final is currently listed for ESPN.

Thats all listed here: https://espnmediazone.com/us/espn-live-and-same-day-tape-event-schedule-by-date/ No sign of the Antibes tournament on there.

PostPosted: 09/14/18 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:

It’s hard for me to believe Clarendon is still around.

Curt Miller on the selection committee. It’s kinda like having Reeve as your GM. Wink

toad455

PostPosted: 09/14/18 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt Kelsey Mitchell returns. Next two cuts would be Tiffany Mitchell and Tuck. Leaves one more cut.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 09/14/18 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gosh - do you suppose Staley is just biased in favor of her former players - cutting K. Mitchell before a bench player on the worst team in the WNBA?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/14/18 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Gosh - do you suppose Staley is just biased in favor of her former players - cutting K. Mitchell before a bench player on the worst team in the WNBA?

K.Mitchell stayed in the US because her grandmother died. Thing is, she was definitely one of the likelier cuts from the 16 remaining. So, while it seems a bit harsh to cut someone who had to stay home for personal reasons, they may just tell her not to bother flying over.

At the minute it looks like Breanna Stewart is going to be playing a bunch at the 3 (and quite possibly Diana Taurasi as well).

PostPosted: 09/14/18 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure K. Mitchell is out. My gut says Staley like her and is at least considering her as a PG moving towards 2020

ATM
I'm pretty confident these players make the final team

Bird/Plum
DT/Loyd
Stewart/
Charles/N. Ogwumike
Griner/Wilson

that is 9 and leaves 3 spots
Maybe EDD toughs it out (anyone follow her on social media, any hints either way?)

then you've got
guards
Clarendon, K. Mitchell
wings
T. Mitchell, Collier, Tuck

If EDD goes that is 10 with 6 posts even if a couple can play the 3 which I assume would mean E. Will is off the table. Now maybe if EDD doesn't come over and Staley thinks Stewie, and Nneka can play some 3 maybe they take E. Will but you've still got 5 posts so I feel like E. Will has a tough road to the final roster.

With Plum and Loyd you have two player who can play some one but I think at least one more PG makes the team which is basically one of Clarendon or K. Mitchell. Clarendon is certainly capable of being a back up/back up PG and is probably a great teammate so she could get that spot, but f Staley think K. Mitchell in 2 years could be a serious candidate to run the point on the Olympic team I think that would give her the edge.

If they want a SF 1 is collier or Tuck as small forward? I think both are PF who have enough midrange skill to play some SF but neither seem like better options at that spot tha Stewart or Ogwumike or even as her range develops Charles IMO neither are any more equipt to defend that position than any of the other post who could moonlight at that spot. OTOH T. Mitchell while a little small for SF is a good defender and has the speed to match up with the more traditional wings that the other teams will put out there.

So my overall feeling is
1. EDD shows up (I give it 60/40 would should find out sooner rather than later)
2. IF EDD does show up
the last two spots goto one of Clarendon/K. Mitchell and one of T. Mitchell/Tuck/Collier

if EDD doesn't show up 1. spot goes to Clarendon/K. Mitchell and 2 spots go to 2 of T. Mitchell/Collier/Tuck/E, Will

My guess is still
Bird/Plum/K. Mitchell
DT/Loyd
EDD/T. Mitchell
Stewart/N. Ogwumike/Charles
Griner/Fowles

No EDD
Bird/Plum/K. Mitchell
DT/Loyd
Stewart/T. Michell
Charles/N. Ogwumike
Griner/Wilson

no idea who the last spot goes to between E. Will, Collier, Tuck and Collier
Also I won't be too shocked if Clarendon is picked over K. Mitchell, if K. Mitchell re-joins the team I am guessing Clarendon is out.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/15/18 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good analysis ... though I would go with Clarendon over Kelsey Mitchell because the USA doesn't need another scorer, especially at the point. Clarendon is a vet, will run the show and not be seeking her own shots. Plum can slide to the two pretty easily, and now Dawn has more options.

I just don't see Kelsey Mitchell as a point guard. She's a good player, better than she showed this summer I think, but she's a scorer, and scorers want to score.

The US doesn't need scorers. They need shooters on the perimeter, and though Kelsey Mitchell is better at that than Clarendon, Plum can fill that role too.

PostPosted: 09/15/18 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It probably won't matter, but the complete lack of perimeter defenders is hilarious. Virtually every perimeter player they're taking is hidden by their WNBA team on defense as much as possible. You can't hide all of them.

Wonder how much zone we'll see from the US. You obviously don't see it much in the WNBA but without the D3s rule Griner should be a wrecking ball in the middle of a pretty basic 2-3 (and will have some practice at it from her time at UMMC). If you have her at the rim and everyone else running opponents off the three-point line, at worst you're just giving up a load of mid-range jump shots that probably don't beat you.

PostPosted: 09/15/18 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

T. Mitchell isn't too bad defensively...which would be the reason she might possibly make the team.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 09/16/18 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You could honestly make a team out of the players that opted to sit out. Fowles, Moore, Diggins, Gray, C. Ogwumike, McCoughtry (injured), Parker, Hayes, A. Thomas, McBride.

Last edited by toad455 on 09/16/18 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 09/16/18 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It probably won't matter, but the complete lack of perimeter defenders is hilarious. Virtually every perimeter player they're taking is hidden by their WNBA team on defense as much as possible. You can't hide all of them.....

I've been wondering the same thing; hence, why I'm completely puzzled as to how Diamond and Sims were booted in place of the Mitchells and K. Plum. I was thinking that since Angel and Maya are out, Diamond would have been a good replacement...quick hands and great in transition. Do they really feel as though Clarendon ( who I like), Plum and K. Mitchell (who has promise but is as shoot first as they come) are the USAB guards of the future? It makes no sense to me for now or the future. The need for preparation at the guard spot has been abundantly clear for nearly a decade. Why they haven't done anything about it, is beyond me!!

The ridiculousness of USAB has us without this year's record breaking PG (Slooty) and even K. Toliver... who I'm pretty sure opted to play for other countries bc they didn't think they would have a chance in the US. I'm still wondering what was the deal with Diggins and C. Gray. Was MoJeff even invited? What about Jas Thomas?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/17/18 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the most interesting Team USA in years. Not all the same old, same old, usual suspects, but a lot of new and untyped blood.
Shades

PostPosted: 09/17/18 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/09/wwc-13-finalists.aspx

Final 13
Sue Bird (Seattle Storm)
Tina Charles (New York Liberty)
Layshia Clarendon (Connecticut Sun)
Elena Delle Donne (Washington Mystics)
Brittney Griner (Phoenix Mercury)
Jewell Loyd (Seattle Storm)
Nneka Ogwumike (Los Angeles Sparks)
Kelsey Plum (Las Vegas Aces)
Breanna Stewart (Seattle Storm)
Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury)
Morgan Tuck (Connecticut Sun)
Elizabeth Williams (Atlanta Dream)
A’ja Wilson (Las Vegas Aces)

I suppose they didn’t want to cut down to 12 without giving newbie Loyd some kind of evaluation process.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/17/18 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird/Plum
Taurasi/Loyd/Clarendon
Delle Donne/Tuck
Stewart/Charles/Ogwumike/Wilson
Griner/Williams

I don’t think they should keep Clarendon, but it looks like they don’t have much choice to achieve any kind of balance.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/17/18 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That last cut should be Tuck. Do both Delle Donne & Stewart get forced to play SF? They could cut Clarendon instead and use Taurasi as the third PG option.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/17/18 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surprised they kept Williams, considering Staley's barely been playing her in the recent warm-up games. Keeping 13 could be down to still not being sure about Delle Donne's health, or just general insurance in case someone gets hurt before Saturday. Leaves something like:

Bird/Clarendon/Plum
Taurasi/Loyd
Stewart/Tuck
Charles/Wilson/Delle Donne
Griner/Ogwumike/Williams

Although who the hell is actually going to play the 3 on this roster remains up in the air. Considering Tuck was largely a 4 in Connecticut, Taurasi might be the player on this roster who spent the most time there during the 2018 WNBA season.

PostPosted: 09/17/18 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
This is the most interesting Team USA in years. Not all the same old, same old, usual suspects, but a lot of new and untyped blood.

A bit shaky but it's kind of a nice mix of old and young.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/17/18 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Surprised they kept Williams, considering Staley's barely been playing her in the recent warm-up games. Keeping 13 could be down to still not being sure about Delle Donne's health, or just general insurance in case someone gets hurt before Saturday. Leaves something like:

Bird/Clarendon/Plum
Taurasi/Loyd
Stewart/Tuck
Charles/Wilson/Delle Donne
Griner/Ogwumike/Williams

Although who the hell is actually going to play the 3 on this roster remains up in the air. Considering Tuck was largely a 4 in Connecticut, Taurasi might be the player on this roster who spent the most time there during the 2018 WNBA season.

yeah, I assume Williams is insurance in case EDD can't play. Who woulda thought Tuck, Clarendon, or Plum would make the team? But all have made a case for themselves.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/17/18 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

A bit shaky but it's kind of a nice mix of old and young.

Agreed. And it just seems like Tuck will be the last cut. Without Clarendon, they're thin at the guard spot unless they use Delle Donne at the 2 occasionally.

PG: Bird/Clarendon
SG: Taurasi/Loyd/Plum
SF: Delle Donne/Stewart
PF: Charles/Wilson/Ogwumike
C: Griner/Williams

Last edited by toad455 on 09/17/18 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/17/18 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
That last cut should be Tuck. Do both Delle Donne & Stewart get forced to play SF? They could cut Clarendon instead and use Taurasi as the third PG option.

They've been starting both Clarendon and Tuck in all the recent warm-up games. Williams's minutes may suggest that we shouldn't read much into lineup choices, but it'd be a weird thing to do with players you're going to cut. And there are 7 post players on the remaining roster (yeah, a couple are gonna play out of position, but in reality there are seven). That doesn't scream 'cut a perimeter player' to me.

ETA: And Delle Donne could barely move to defend at the 4 in the Finals. Now she's supposed to slide out and chase wings instead?

PostPosted: 09/17/18 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

PG: Bird/Clarendon
SG: Taurasi/Loyd/Plum
SF: Delle Donne/Stewart
PF: Charles/Wilson/Ogwumike
C: Griner/Williams

Mhm.... the league and Finals MVP should definitely back up Delle Donne.

Tuck showed up in this camp. Might as well reward her.
Maybe Williams is a tough cut because she went through the trouble to get there early, unlike some other players. But I suspect she’ll be the one to go, unless somebody can’t pass the physical.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 19 of 23

Jump to: