RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Team USA
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 08/26/17 11:00 pm    ::: 2018 Team USA Reply Reply with quote

As was expected, they will be doing a training camp soon to start evaluating players. What is more interesting is seeing which college coaches were invited to help out:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/08/wnt-court-coaches.aspx

I know that no other time works for the college coaches, but I really hate the timing of this camp. Not only will players be out during the WNBA playoffs, but you are asking a lot of fringe players to choose between possibly upsetting the foreign clubs that pay the bulk of their salary and the chance to represent the United States. I would much prefer WNBA coaches took charge of the camps during the European international breaks and maybe there could be a college coach led camp in April for players who take the overseas season off or play outside of Europe.
toad455

PostPosted: 08/27/17 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at the roster from the 2016 Olympics, I think it's time team USA replaced some of the aging vets(Whalen, Bird, Augustus & Taurasi). Along with Catchings, that would be 5 spots available for the 2018 team. Parker replaces Catchings. Diggins replaces Whalen. Jefferson(if healthy) replaces Bird. Loyd replaces Taurasi. And N. Ogwumike replaces Augustus. With the team kind of heavy at SF/PF, I wonder if McCoughtry gets replaced by a guard(C. Gray?)?

PG: Diggins/Jefferson/C. Gray
SG: Moore/Loyd
SF: Delle Donne/Parker
PF: Charles/Stewart/Ogwumike
C: Fowles/Griner
LAST CUTS: McCoughtry, A. Gray, Dolson, Hayes

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With all the talk about no-one being good enough in the recent rotation, IMO they will leap frog some players. Jefferson is hurt, Lloyd is a gunner, Ogwumike et al are all 4/5s which is 7 players virtually for the same spots. The only newbie could be Diggins IMO but I am not sure they like her. So I see fresh blood being brought in. That would make sense as their are too many egos in your group.

BTW love C Gray but the knock will be her quickness at the PG position.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/27/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trying to be a little more realistic here

Bird/Diggins
Taurasi/Loyd
Moore/McCoughtry
Parker/Stewart/NOgwumike/Delle Donne/Wilson
Fowles/Griner/Charles

Guard bubbles (will benefit if going younger)
Sims, CGray, AGray, Hayes

How does Staley not work Wilson into the fray after Geno has done it with his players for so many years? There's an overload at PF as usual. I suspect a couple will have illness, injury, or other excuse when the time comes.

If Staley wants to go younger at guard, maybe Bird and Taurasi will be on the outside looking in, but they're both in good enough shape to be on the team. Bird is having a very good season.

Leaving the true elite SF's in their position instead of forcing the versatile bigs there.

I believe Charles has always traditionally been slotted as a center in the Team USA system.

Expect the debate will be heavy and brutal on this team.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 08/27/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, the post options for Team USA is stacked. You have the locks of Griner, Charles, Fowles & Stewart. Parker should be a lock. Delle Donne will play SF. Hopefully this doesn't leave out N. Ogwumike. The SG spot seems to be the thinnest to replace. There's basically Loyd, Sims(combo) & Hayes.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/27/17 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Delle Donne will play SF.

No, your Magic 8 ball is broken. She's one my top candidates to not be available for whatever reason.

In 2014, Parker, Catchings, and Delle Donne were all not available. Made things a little easier.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/27/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Delle Donne will play SF.

No, your Magic 8 ball is broken. She's one my top candidates to not be available for whatever reason.

In 2014, Parker, Catchings, and Delle Donne were all not available. Made things a little easier.

Unless one of the locks sits out or is injured, EDD will be playing SF. Would suck for Ogwumike to get cut because of this.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/27/17 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
The only newbie could be Diggins IMO but I am not sure they like her.

No, just the former head coach (and Shades).

So, it depends if Geno is still calling the shots. If so, you can probably cross Parker and Diggins off the list.

I thought he was done with it until he showed up as the newly created workout czar for the U24 team this summer talking about how his role was all about having the invited players build and demonstrate skills for their future participation on the senior team.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 08/27/17 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any chance Aj’a Wilson could make this team?
Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/27/17 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they have to consider Diggins. She is having an great season. She just has to prove that she can switch that into a more of a passing role.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 08/27/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

Not in 2018. Too much talent in the post for 2018. It's possible someone like Ogwumike or Parker might not make the team.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/27/17 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You guys do tend to give less of a shit about Worlds than the Olympics though, which does tend to lead to more dropouts. Sims, Dupree and pre-MVP-Nneka were all there in 2014. But I'd be surprised if they got far enough down the list for Wilson to make it. That squad toad455 listed above had seven players who are really 4/5s unless you're shoehorning them in becuase they're too good to leave out. If one or two are unavailable you probably go perimeter for the replacement.

PostPosted: 08/27/17 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You'd have to think so.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/27/17 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
The only newbie could be Diggins IMO but I am not sure they like her.

No, just the former head coach (and Shades).

She's on my proposed 2018 roster, and I campaigned heavily for her for the 2014 team, but never mind the facts.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 08/27/17 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Not in 2018. Too much talent in the post for 2018. It's possible someone like Ogwumike or Parker might not make the team.

Or maybe Delle’s done, I mean you could always play Parker as somewhat of a 3.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/27/17 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
I think they have to consider Diggins. She is having an great season. She just has to prove that she can switch that into a more of a passing role.

So being 4th in the league in apg isn't good enough? And that's on a team where she's also the top scoring option.

It's a lot easier to rack up assists if you have Stewart and Loyd, or Parker and Ogwumike, or Delle Donne and Meesseman or Moore and Fowles, or Griner, or Jones or the like as targets for your passes and aren't expected to be your team's leading scorer.

Averaging 5.8 apg in her situation seems pretty good.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Worlds always has some unexpected players not being available as well as some others getting a decent audition so I'm guessing something like

Diggins/C. Gray/J. Thomas or Jefferson
Loyd/Sims
Moore/McCoughtry
N. Ogwumike/Stewart/Charles
Griner/Wilson

Some PG auditions, Loyd gets her first shot, Sims gets her second. A Vet who took the W season off reminds everyone that she is one of the best American's playing basketball. Staley continues the college tradition with Wilson (even if she has to call her a Center, but Charles, Stewart and Nneka can all play Center in the international games as well without hurting the team. And SC won a National Championship with Wilson playing at Center for a bunch of minutes). ANd if more spots open up I won't be completely shocked to see A. Thomas or Dolson, or if Sims or Loyd or other guards pass I could see someone like K. Mitchell work her way in or maybe even SC alumni A. Gray. There will be a surprise or two for the Worlds. Also if Parker wants back in they'll give her a spot, but I'm not sure she will want to do it, pure speculation on my part, just a feeling.

But no one above should relax minus the Olympic alumni because DT, EDD, and Fowles will likely be trying to get back into the mix for 20.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

everyone thinking Wilson is a lock because of Staley needs to second guess themselves. The post options for 2018 are stacked. There's Fowles, Griner, Charles, N. Ogwumike, Parker, Stewart, Delle Donne, Dolson. I doubt I see Wilson making the team. 2020, probably.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We'll see I'm almost second guessing myself and thinking A. Gray makes it over Sims.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
everyone thinking Wilson is a lock because of Staley needs to second guess themselves. The post options for 2018 are stacked.

The post options were stacked in 2016, and yet Stewart leap frogged Parker and Ogwumike. I guess you're saying Staley don't have it like Geno.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/27/17 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
everyone thinking Wilson is a lock because of Staley needs to second guess themselves. The post options for 2018 are stacked.

The post options were stacked in 2016, and yet Stewart leap frogged Parker and Ogwumike. I guess you're saying Staley don't have it like Geno.

or that Staley would put a rookie on her roster over Stewart, Ogwumike or Parker.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/27/17 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

or that Staley would put a rookie on her roster over Stewart, Ogwumike or Parker.

Or that the committee isn't going to bow down to whatever Staley wants the way they did to Geno.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/27/17 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to make my guess even weirder and more out there. I think many current stars skip the Worlds, Staley has not as much input as Geno but still gets to work with players she is familiar with (especially if they're coming off rookie of the year or MVP of the National Championship team that Staley coached on their way to being the next #1 pick in the WNBA to be part of the National team in other words enough of a legit resume to get by). And the Worlds gets a youth movement/audition for the future kind of look. Which doesn't mean a lot of the usual suspects won't be back in 2020

Diggins/C. Gray/J. Thomas or Jefferson (if healthy)
Loyd/A. Gray (glue player, doesn't need the ball or shots to be effective playing alongside the big guns)
Moore/McCoughtry
N. Ogwumike/Stewart/Wilson
Griner/Dolson

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/28/17 4:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

So being 4th in the league in apg isn't good enough? And that's on a team where she's also the top scoring option.

It's a lot easier to rack up assists if you have Stewart and Loyd, or Parker and Ogwumike, or Delle Donne and Meesseman or Moore and Fowles, or Griner, or Jones or the like as targets for your passes and aren't expected to be your team's leading scorer.

Averaging 5.8 apg in her situation seems pretty good.

Its also easier to rack up assists when you have the ball in your hands almost all the time.. That is not going to be the case with team USA. As a fan of true pointguards i think that Diggins still dribbles the ball too much and holds on the ball too long. You cant have that with team USA.
So yes i think she is having a great season and that she should be seriously considered for a spot on the team and a chance to prove that she is their PG for the future. BUT she has to think pass first..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/28/17 6:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

BTW love C Gray but the knock will be her quickness at the PG position.

Neither Bird nor Whalen are the quickest things in sneakers either. It hasn't hampered them too much.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: