RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Expecting 30-40 inches of rain in the
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/24/17 5:29 pm    ::: Expecting 30-40 inches of rain in the Reply Reply with quote

area between Corpus Christi and Houston from Hurricane Harvey.

Estimating 300,000 people will lose power, potentially for weeks.

Any Rebkellians in the path?

Stay safe.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/24/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's an amazing amount.

I also read that gas prices will most likely be affected. I just filled up!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/24/17 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In a place that can't handle much rain anyway. Good luck to those folks.

PostPosted: 08/24/17 8:36 pm    ::: Re: Expecting 30-40 inches of rain in the Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Stay safe.

I'm not, but I have a friend who is. She moved to Texas soon after leaving New Orleans in 2005 (Katrina). Mistie's mom is also there.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/24/17 8:55 pm    ::: Re: Expecting 30-40 inches of rain in the Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Stay safe.

I'm not, but I have a friend who is. She moved to Texas soon after leaving New Orleans in 2005 (Katrina). Mistie's mom is also there.

BTW, they said New Orleans could get as much as eight inches of rain from Harvey, which they are ill equipped to handle.

Hope your friend stays safe.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/24/17 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

U.S. Has Gone a Record 142 Months Without a Major Hurricane Strike

Quote:
August 24, 2017 marks a record 142 straight months since the last major hurricane made landfall in the continental United States. But that record major-hurricane drought may be coming to an end.

Quote:
A major hurricane is Category 3 or higher . . . .

Quote:
The last major hurricane to hit the continental United States was Hurricane Wilma, which struck Florida on Oct. 24, 2005. Prior to the current 142-month stretch without a major hurricane strike in the continental U.S., the longest period without a major hurricane making landfall was the 96 months between September 1860 and August 1869.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/24/17 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They said on the news that Harvey is expected to make landfall as either a 3 or a 4.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 08/25/17 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm in Houston, so I don't expect much except for some rain this weekend. Next week we are expecting to the re-attack of Harvey....and even then, I'm not that worried. It will rain, there will be some flooding, usually isn't near as bad as all the "experts" say it will be.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/25/17 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DirecTV is showing Houston and San Antonio and other Texas city TV stations live on 361-2 for some local information and video.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/25/17 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cat 4 now. This will be as bad as the experts are warning it could be. Katrina II.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/25/17 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What they seem to be really worried about is the amount of rain. They say it's going to stall over the coast and just sit there dumping rain. Some models say until Monday, some models say until Wednesday.

Five days of hurricane rains would be a lot of water.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/27/17 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unprecedented. Latest model has the storm going back out over the gulf and becoming reinvigorated and making another landfall and then heading straight over Houston. They are talking about the possibility of 40-50 additional inches of rain on top of the 20 that already has so much of the city under water.

Tweet from the National Weather Service:

"This event is unprecedented & all impacts are unknown & beyond anything experienced."

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/27/17 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
I'm in Houston, so I don't expect much except for some rain this weekend. Next week we are expecting to the re-attack of Harvey....and even then, I'm not that worried. It will rain, there will be some flooding, usually isn't near as bad as all the "experts" say it will be.

Might need to reconsider that.

I really hope you and your family are doing ok and don't suffer too much damage. Best of luck in getting through this.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 08/27/17 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it's really an amazing event

PostPosted: 08/27/17 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:

If you're out there with power... stay safe. And let us know how you're doing if/when you can.

(now with spelling variations)
Genero36

PostPosted: 08/28/17 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 08/28/17 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hope you're ok Hawkeye

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

That's part of their "heritage" too- a black adult caring for their children, so many would likely miss the point.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just as an example of scale, they said on the news this morning that the Brazos river is already 5 feet higher than the highest flood stage ever recorded. But it has not yet crested and in addition they're still expecting another foot or more of rain.

They've ordered evacuation of 100,000 people in the vicinity and they are worried about the levees because they have no idea whether they will withstand that amount of water.

And after Harvey gets done with Houston, it's headed East towards Beamont. The Neches River in Beaumont is reportedly already two feet above it's highest ever recorded flood stage, and they're expected over two feet of additional rain in Beaumont.

Look up at the subject of this thread. When I started it, they were predicting a then-astounding 30-40 inches of rain. They now say there will be areas that receive over 60 inches of rain from Harvey.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The politics of this situation re: climate change; rescinded Obama disaster rebuild safety standards; reduced FEMA funding; etc, - underscore the impotence/crassness of Republican rule.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cruz and the rest of the Texas Republicans voted against the Sandy relief funding bill.

Now Cruz says he was all in favor of helping Sandy victims, he just objected to the pork in the legislation.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/29/17 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
The politics of this situation re: climate change; rescinded Obama disaster rebuild safety standards; reduced FEMA funding; etc, - underscore the impotence/crassness of Republican rule.

It goes back farther than that. That whole "We're Texans, we can do whatever we damn well please" bullshit bravado set things up for this kind of disaster.

The Texas Gulf coast, including Houston, has had massive growth and unrestrained development, much of it in wetlands. Not only are those areas flat and prone to flooding, but the massive destruction of wetlands further diminishes the ability of nature to absorb and dissipate the water.

Plus:

"Other areas of concern include the troubling fact that building code in Texas is voluntary unless a municipality adopts a code and enforces it. According to building-code progress studies of 18 coastal states completed by the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety for 2012 and 2015, Texas had a 2012 score of 18 out of 100 in 2012, rising to 36 out of 100 in 2015. Virginia, comparatively, scored a 95 in both reports and Florida a 95 in 2012 and a 94 in 2015."

Yeah, God forbid the Government actually tell people the minimum standards to which they have to build their home or office. We're Texans. We don't stand for no Government telling us what to do. Yeee Ha.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/the-globe-and-mail-bc-edition/20170829/281732679619577

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/29/17 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right . . . if Obama had been in office the past seven months, the effects of this 800-year flood, which the National Weather Service has today said is due to a record for total rainfall from a single tropical cyclone in all of continental United States history, would have been less.

Ridiculous.

According the the NY Times as of right now, 13 deaths have been attributed to Harvey. That's miraculously hopeful. Wikipedia says that Katrina caused 1,833 deaths and that Sandy caused 233.

Obama -- who said he could "slow the rise of the oceans" in his nomination speech -- surely could have saved all the 1 to 4 million lives lost in the 1931 China floods and the 280,000 lives lost in the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami.

Let's politicize everything. That's so helpful.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/29/17 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're right. Nothing Trump has done has altered the impact of this storm (other than perhaps delaying appointments of senior FEMA officials). Hasn't been enough time for his actions to have any effect.

It'll be the storms ten and twenty years from now where his actions now will cause unnecessary additional loss of life and property.

Which is not to say that the magnitude of loss from Harvey has not been increased by decades of political decisions, poor planning, denial, and greed.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 08/29/17 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Right . . . if Obama had been in office the past seven months, the effects of this 800-year flood, which the National Weather Service has today said is due to a record for total rainfall from a single tropical cyclone in all of continental United States history, would have been less.

Ridiculous.

According the the NY Times as of right now, 13 deaths have been attributed to Harvey. That's miraculously hopeful. Wikipedia says that Katrina caused 1,833 deaths and that Sandy caused 233.

Obama -- who said he could "slow the rise of the oceans" in his nomination speech -- surely could have saved all the 1 to 4 million lives lost in the 1931 China floods and the 280,000 lives lost in the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami.

Let's politicize everything. That's so helpful.

A Trumpster bitching about politicizing things and invoking straw men? Oh my!

I like this red herring...or is it more a non sequitur?

"Obama -- who said he could "slow the rise of the oceans" in his nomination speech"

Here's that statement, in context:

"The journey will be difficult. The road will be long. I face this challenge with profound humility, and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people. Because if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth. This was the moment - this was the time - when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals. Thank you, God Bless you, and may God Bless the United States of America."

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: