RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2017-18 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/19/17 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ezi Magbegor

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-uQ8Z_zhyJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She says whether she stays in Australia or goes to the U.S. "depends on whether I get offered a scholarship to the school in America I want to go to."

?????????? Rumors, please.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f7yn4o4XhKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That school is not UCONN .

PostPosted: 10/19/17 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ezi Magbegor

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-uQ8Z_zhyJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She says whether she stays in Australia or goes to the U.S. "depends on whether I get offered a scholarship to the school in America I want to go to."

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f7yn4o4XhKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

UConn is recruiting her so I put her in this thread, but you could be right.

Her doubt about getting a scholarship seems unlikely to be about her basketball ability, which would seem to merit a scholarship from any coach. Therefore, it may be that the doubt is related to her getting academically accepted, which suggests a school with top academic standards.
Shades

PostPosted: 10/19/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Her brother goes to the University of West Georgia. Sounds like UConn is interested.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/22/17 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Eziyoda Magbegor has been hailed as one of the best young basketball players in the world - some even say she's the next Lauren Jackson.

Quote:
She's still weighing up her options between continuing her WNBL career or heading to a United States college next year.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/act-sport/wnbl-canberra-capitals-young-gun-eziyoda-magbegor-forging-her-own-legacy-20171019-gz4o9u.html

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 10/22/17 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/22/17 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Christyn Williams, the No. 1 high school player in the Class of 2018, has narrowed her college choices.

. . . . she is choosing between UConn and South Carolina.

Her trip to UConn was last weekend, when she visited with post player Olivia Nelson-Ododa. . . .

Williams’ high school coach . . . said . . . that she would sign her letter of intent on Nov. 10 at her school. She will make her announcement at the 12:15 p.m. (Eastern time) ceremony.

. . . . Nelson-Ododa (6-4) is also expected to announce her decision during the early signing period . . . .

Nelson-Ododa is fifth in ESPN’s HoopGurlz Class of 2018 rankings. . . .

So Nelson-Ododa, who has been a top UConn target throughout high school, could fill the need for a post player. Williams, a physical shooting guard, is the best player in the class and has been a longtime UConn target.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-sp-uconn-women-christyn-williams-1022-story.html
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/22/17 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

UConn is recruiting her so I put her in this thread, but you could be right.

Her doubt about getting a scholarship seems unlikely to be about her basketball ability, which would seem to merit a scholarship from any coach. Therefore, it may be that the doubt is related to her getting academically accepted, which suggests a school with top academic standards.

I wish it were Stanford but we have a lot of trouble getting foreign kids academically qualified. Plus we have no more scholarships available in 2018. Crying or Very sad When I see that Ododa has us on her short list, it makes me cry too since we don't have a scholarship.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/29/17 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Undeclared and extraordinary, Olivia Nelson-Ododa healing, observing and mulling

Quote:
Her dad, Sebastian, was in the stands, telling himself that his daughter would get up and be fine.

Then he heard her scream.

Quote:
Nelson-Ododa, a straight-A student who takes honors courses and wants to study medicine, has made official visits to Connecticut, Florida State and South Carolina. She will tour Duke next weekend.

Quote:
Nelson-Ododa said all the schools have impressed her so far, but one part of one visit stands out.

During her trip to South Carolina's campus, she got to sit in on two knee surgeries.
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/29/17 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:
Nelson-Ododa said all the schools have impressed her so far, but one part of one visit stands out.

During her trip to South Carolina's campus, she got to sit in on two knee surgeries.

Well, that would have done it for me. After I feinted and they picked me off the floor, that would be my last choice. Of course, I never had any aspirations to become a doctor either. Wink

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/01/17 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tonight's UConn exhibition game against Fort Hays State will be streamed for free at 7 pm ET HERE.

Game notes are HERE.

Freshman Batouly Camara will not be playing due to injury.

HERE is Geno commenting on Freshman Lexi Gordon, who is having trouble keeping up with the fast pace; and HERE on freshman Mikayla Coombs, who is not having trouble with the pace but with being too tentative. Both are typical freshman issues, according to Geno.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/03/17 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Z Factor in resumed action:

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/03/17 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ONO has a new entry on her blog.

Quote:
A lot of people talk about rankings and the thing that they say is that they don’t matter, but I don’t think that’s true to a competitor.

We all care on some level about our ranking so when I saw that I dropped from No. 1 to No. 5 it motivated me.

Quote:
I’m down to five schools now: Duke, UConn, Georgia, South Carolina and Florida State. I have my fourth visit coming up this weekend to Duke and then I’ll see what I want to do after this one. I don’t know if I’ll take the last visit as of now.

Quote:
These visits are so important to me because I, honestly, don’t know what I’m gonna do.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/05/17 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad to see the only worthy PG start.

PostPosted: 11/08/17 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

If Dangerfield is the only worthy PG, we'll probably see only a seven player rotation in big/close/contested games, assuming there are any.

Did you hear what Geno said about having a full bench? He said it was a mixed blessing, and compared it to having a full tool box at home. He then said a full toolbox is no more useful to him than a mostly empty toolbox, because he doesn't know how to use all the extra tools, and that he'd probably not even open a full toolbox. I don't think he was joking.

I'm currently hoping and hyping on behalf of Mikayla Coombs as a PG until she proves me wrong. Bent hasn't shown me magic at either guard position, and Gordon and AEH don't have PG handling skills.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/10/17 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2018 #1 Christyn Williams signed with UConn a few minutes ago.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1rmGPOBdVyXKN

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/21355082/no-1-prospect-christyn-williams-signs-connecticut-huskies
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/10/17 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

If Dangerfield is the only worthy PG, we'll probably see only a seven player rotation in big/close/contested games, assuming there are any.

Did you hear what Geno said about having a full bench? He said it was a mixed blessing, and compared it to having a full tool box at home. He then said a full toolbox is no more useful to him than a mostly empty toolbox, because he doesn't know how to use all the extra tools, and that he'd probably not even open a full toolbox. I don't think he was joking.

I'm currently hoping and hyping on behalf of Mikayla Coombs as a PG until she proves me wrong. Bent hasn't shown me magic at either guard position, and Gordon and AEH don't have PG handling skills.

I hope Coombs (and all the frosh) become great Huskies.

Re the toolbox bit, I understand problems can arise from having a long, capable bench. I'd rather have two tools too many than two too few.

PostPosted: 11/13/17 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting Geno interview covering Christyn Williams, intensity and cockiness in players, recruiting in general now and then, the real America, okey-dokey, cheating, KLS, how it will be more difficult this season for KLS and Collier:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QOMbhfWT9NE" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/13/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ONO's announcement announcement:

https://twitter.com/OliviaKNelson/status/929875653763010560
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/14/17 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some comments on the excessive Azurá Stevens hype coming out of ESPN and Connecticut. Stevens is a very good player who may become even better at UConn, but some of the hype about her is too premature and over the top.

Let's start with this hagiography by Graham Hays:

Is Azurá Stevens the best Husky of them all?

Quote:
Now a roster that features three returning All-Americans (Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson Gabby Williams) and a Canadian Olympian (Kia Nurse) includes a 6-foot-6 player with a soft touch and the potential to be the best of them all. The best in Storrs, Connecticut. The best in America.

Sorry, Mr. Hays, but Azurá Stevens has done nothing yet in high school or college that proves her worthy of carrying A'ja Wilson's sandals.

In high school, no one evaluated Stevens as a top star. She was ranked: No. 57 (Prospect Nation), No. 55 (Blue Star), No. 27 (ASGR), No. 23 (Girls Basketball Report/HoopGurlz). These rankings fall far, far short of the Oort Cloud #1 ranking heights of A'ja Wilson or, at different times in different services, Stevens' own teammates, Katie Lou Samuelson, Gabby Williams, Crystal Dangerfield and Megan Walker, or the #5 ranking of Napheesa Collier. Did all these high school rankers miss the fact that Stevens was the best player in America?

What has Stevens done in college? She scored a nice but not eye-popping 938 points in two years at Duke, on teams that compiled a mediocre two-year record of 19-13 in the ACC. Then she sat for a year at UConn.

So, let's not burden the beginning of Stevens' UConn career with the unsupportable label of "best player in America". That said, if she's played intelligently and plays intelligently, and gets the minutes, it wouldn't surprise me if Stevens' height and skills allow her to score more than one or both of her much shorter post-playing teammates, Collier and Williams. But, even if so, that still wouldn't make her better than A'ja Wilson.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/15/17 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ONO announcement live video stream:

http://esenetworks.com/live-event.aspx?id=4566&live-event-id=158060
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/15/17 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCONO . . . as expected . . . which is why she was always in this thread.
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 11/15/17 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing careful Glenn a certain poster may start ripping on her as you gave her a nickname with Uconn in it or maybe that's just white kids 😉

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/15/17 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Olivia Nelson-Ododa announcement PHOTO

Now that UConn has signed #1 Christyn Williams at guard, whom Geno has called the best high school player in America, and Olivia Nelson-Ododa, who was the former #1 before injuring her ACL and who is the best 6-4 high school player in America, UConn fans on Wooster Street in New Haven are already reported to be lamenting the tedious team they will have to endure this season until they can get to the exciting team of next season.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 11/15/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Now that UConn has signed #1 Christyn Williams at guard, whom Geno has called the best high school player in America, and Olivia Nelson-Ododa, who was the former #1 before injuring her ACL and who is the best 6-4 high school player in America, UConn fans on Wooster Street in New Haven are already reported to be lamenting the tedious team they will have to endure this season until they can get to the exciting team of next season.
But there are at least two restaurants where they can find an interim cure if not to satisfy their seemingly rapacious appetite with arguably the best pizza in the world.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 11/15/17 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/15/17 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

But there are at least two restaurants where they can find an interim cure if not to satisfy their rapacious appetite with arguably the best pizza in the world.

No fooling the apizza lovers.

Now if you also love the taste of tea leaves, note that in the video of Geno I posted above, at about 9:05, he said he was waiting on "one more" recruit in the fall after Christyn Williams AND there "could be more down the road, who knows, in the springtime". I don't think I've ever heard Geno even suggest he might have a spring recruit. Who is it? Only Frank, Sally and the Shadow know.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 11/15/17 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

But there are at least two restaurants where they can find an interim cure if not to satisfy their rapacious appetite with arguably the best pizza in the world.

No fooling the apizza lovers.

Now if you also love the taste of tea leaves, note that in the video of Geno I posted above, at about 9:05, he said he was waiting on "one more" recruit in the fall after Christyn Williams AND there "could be more down the road, who knows, in the springtime". I don't think I've ever heard Geno even suggest he might have a spring recruit. Who is it? Only Frank, Sally and the Shadow know.
Very Happy Heard tell we are the last state to use that word, if not generation, apizza.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: