RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Surprising Playoff Possibilities
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadaball

PostPosted: 08/20/17 9:44 pm    ::: Surprising Playoff Possibilities Reply Reply with quote

After today's results, the last few games of the regular season have just gotten much more interesting. Minnesota is no longer cruising in first place. The Lynx currently have a 2 game lead in loss column over LA, but there is a difficult away game at the Sparks (minus Whalen and Brunson). Should they lose that game, and therefore the tiebreaker, the Lynx would have a tenuous one game lead over LA. Given the easy remaining Sparks schedule (one away game @ Phx; the final home game with Ct figures to be meaningless for the Sun), it behooves Minny to win the rest of their games should they lose in LA. There may be no coasting for the injured Lynx.
Tuesday's Phx-Minny game has further implications. Should the Lynx beat the Mercury, Seattle, and Dallas will be closing in on Phx; in fact, it is not far-fetched that next Sunday's Phx-Seattle game could be for 6th place.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/21/17 5:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it's hard to predict who'll be playing who in the play-offs and there's only two weeks left in the regular season. Good for the league though.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 08/26/17 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sun lose last night gives the Liberty a slight chance to get that #3 seed. Sun have a tough remaining three games, all on the road(Washington, Phoenix & Los Angeles). Liberty's big test is Sunday vs. Chicago, then they have San Antonio on Sept. 1 and then finish up at Dallas. For the top seed, Sunday's Lynx-Sparks game will be exciting. Lynx are still without Whalen & Brunson, so it'll be interesting if the Sparks can take advantage and inch closer to that top seed. The battle for spots #6-#8 can go either way. Depending what Chicago does vs. New York on Sunday could make Wednesday's game vs. Dallas very important. Sky do have a tough remaining schedule(@ NY, vs. DAL, @ MIN, vs. SEA).

Here's the remaining schedule for those battling for play-off spots:
TONIGHT:
Wings @ Mystics

SUNDAY:
Sky @ Liberty
Lynx @ Sparks
Mercury @ Storm

Tues., Aug. 29:
Sun @ Mystics

Wed., Aug. 30
Wings @ Sky
Lynx @ Fever

Fri., Sept. 1:
Stars @ Liberty
Storm @ Mystics
Sky @ Lynx
Sun @ Mercury
Dream @ Sparks

Sun., Sept. 3:
Liberty @ Wings
Sun @ Sparks
Dream @ Mercury
Mystics @ Lynx
Storm @ Sky

Shades

PostPosted: 08/26/17 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream are battling for a playoff spot, and they play the Fever tonight.

If the Lynx can win their next two games, they lock up #1. The outcomes of their remaining games against the Sky and Mystics would no longer be a factor in playoff positioning.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 08/26/17 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream basically need to win out get into the play-offs. I think their game vs. Los Angeles on Friday will knock them out. We'll see if they can get through Indiana tonight first. I still think that last game of the regular season between Seattle & Chicago will determine the #8 seed.

Based on the remaining schedule, this is how I see the seeding end up:

#1 Minnesota
#2 Los Angeles
#3 Connecticut
#4 New York
#5 Washington
#6 Phoenix
#7 Dallas
#8 Chicago

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 08/26/17 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

If the Lynx can win their next two games, they lock up #1. The outcomes of their remaining games against the Sky and Mystics would no longer be a factor in playoff positioning.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Dream are at 11-20 and both Seattle and Dallas at 14-17. Wouldn't the Dream be knocked out of the playoffs if both teams won a single game, even if the Dream won their remaining three?

PostPosted: 08/26/17 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Dream are at 11-20 and both Seattle and Dallas at 14-17. Wouldn't the Dream be knocked out of the playoffs if both teams won a single game, even if the Dream won their remaining three?

yes.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/26/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Lynx win the next two games and the Mystics beat the Sun, then the Sparks are locked in at #2 with no incentive to overtax themselves in their remaining games. If the Sparks beat the Lynx on Sunday, it keeps things more interesting down the stretch.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/26/17 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If the Lynx win the next two games and the Mystics beat the Sun, then the Sparks are locked in at #2 with no incentive to overtax themselves in their remaining games. If the Sparks beat the Lynx on Sunday, it keeps things more interesting down the stretch.

I think the Sparks take the win on Sunday. Lynx are still without Whalen & Brunson. I see Gray & Parker or Ogwumike having a big game. Sparks then play Atlanta(win) and close out vs. Connecticut. Lynx then play Chicago & Washington. Chicago's going to be fighting hard to get into the playoffs, so the Sparks getting that #1 seed is still reachable.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/26/17 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Did you notice the title of the thread? Yes, it would be a surprise if the Dream made the playoffs, but it's still a possibility.

If the Liberty, Lynx, and Mercury win on Sunday, and the Mystics win on Tuesday, that Dream pulse gets stronger.... and these results are not inconceivable.

But first it's do or die against the mighty Fever tonight.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/26/17 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even if the dream win their 3 remaining games,they have a 0% chance of making the playoffs.....Atlanta owns the tie-breaker with the storm,but not with the wings/sky.If seattle loses every game,1 of those losses would come against chicago.So the Dream would still lose the tie-breaker to the sky.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/26/17 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Even if the dream win their 3 remaining games,they have a 0% chance of making the playoffs.....Atlanta owns the tie-breaker with the storm,but not with the wings/sky.If seattle loses every game,1 of those losses would come against chicago.So the Dream would still lose the tie-breaker to the sky.

This is not correct. Atlanta still has a mathematical path to the playoffs: they, indeed, do not own the tie-breaker against Chicago, but Chicago has played one fewer game, as of 13:30 ET, 26 Aug. They could still finish with a worse record than Atlanta, which would make the tie-breaker moot.

Atlanta's path to the playoffs = Dream win out (3-0), Seattle loses out (0-3), Chicago beats Seattle, but loses the rest of their games (1-3). Final records: Atlanta 14-20, Seattle 14-20, Chicago 13-21, Atlanta takes the 8th seed via tie-breaker over Seattle.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Shades

PostPosted: 08/26/17 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

So what if that one Storm loss to the Sky was the Sky's last remaining win? They'd end up with 13 wins. There would be no tiebreaker.

Sounds like you're saying there should be an "o" by the Dream in the standings up on wnba.com, but that's not the case.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/26/17 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
zune69 wrote:

This is not correct. Atlanta still has a mathematical path to the playoffs: they, indeed, do not own the tie-breaker against Chicago, but Chicago has played one fewer game, as of 13:30 ET, 26 Aug. They could still finish with a worse record than Atlanta, which would make the tie-breaker moot.

Atlanta's path to the playoffs = Dream win out (3-0), Seattle loses out (0-3), Chicago beats Seattle, but loses the rest of their games (1-3). Final records: Atlanta 14-20, Seattle 14-20, Chicago 13-21, Atlanta takes the 8th seed via tie-breaker over Seattle.

This is where Mr. Spock would say:

"The odds, Captain are 2,987,274 to 1 against us."

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/26/17 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
zune69 wrote:

This is where Mr. Spock would say:

"The odds, Captain are 2,987,274 to 1 against us."

Which, by staggering coincidence, is the telephone number of a girl that Arthur once met at a party at a flat in Islington, whom he totally failed to get off with...

toad455

PostPosted: 08/26/17 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
zune69 wrote:

My magic 8 ball says "doubtful".

zune69

PostPosted: 08/26/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

Shades wrote:

So what if that one Storm loss to the Sky was the Sky's last remaining win? They'd end up with 13 wins. There would be no tiebreaker.

Sounds like you're saying there should be an "o" by the Dream in the standings up on wnba.com, but that's not the case.

I stand corrected...I thought chicago had 13 wins,not 12.

jap

PostPosted: 08/26/17 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

I think the Sparks take the win on Sunday. Lynx are still without Whalen & Brunson. I see Gray & Parker or Ogwumike having a big game. Sparks then play Atlanta(win) and close out vs. Connecticut. Lynx then play Chicago & Washington. Chicago's going to be fighting hard to get into the playoffs, so the Sparks getting that #1 seed is still reachable.

Los Lynx needs to lose at least two games, including one to the Sparks, and LA has to win at least two more times, including a victory over Los Lynx, for the Sparks to claim the top seed by virtue of having identical records and LA winning the regular season series.

Nneka is pumping herself up for post season play. Ace has been doing the same lately. Chelsea is back to stroking those lovely rainbow treys, and Odyssey is coming on down the stretch. Expect Riquna to be campaigning strong for playing time as she lost out on last year's championship experience and would hate to miss out on another opportunity. Essence has come back from injury bringing defensive punch off the bench and surprisingly so extra offensive energy. Jantel has been quietly reclaiming last year's form, and Sandrine & Tiffany are ready to rumble.

PostPosted: 08/26/17 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Nneka is doing roids now to pump herself up?

Shades

PostPosted: 08/26/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's Odyssey, I'm Nneka, and we're going to PUMP you up.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/26/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
She's Odyssey, I'm Nneka, and we're going to PUMP you up.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/29/17 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

posted this question in the Sun @ Mystics thread but didn't get an answer. If the Mystics, Mercury & Wings all finish at 17-17, who gets what seed?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/29/17 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
posted this question in the Sun @ Mystics thread but didn't get an answer. If the Mystics, Mercury & Wings all finish at 17-17, who gets what seed?

Good Question...what does .com reference as the 2nd or 3rd Tie breaker? Too lazy to look lol

PostPosted: 08/29/17 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Head to head would break the tie. Merc are 4-2, Wings 3-3, Mystics 2-4. So Phoenix would be #5, Dallas #6, and Washington #7.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Head to head would break the tie. Merc are 4-2, Wings 3-3, Mystics 2-4. So Phoenix would be #5, Dallas #6, and Washington #7.

thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: