RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

B1G Favorite

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3772
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/06/17 1:38 pm    ::: B1G Favorite Reply Reply with quote

Graduations and Transfers have changed the scope of the b1G Ten.

Gone to graduation:

Tori Jankoska Michigan State
Alli Disterhoft: Iowa
Ashley Morrisette: Purdue
Breanna Jones: Maryland to WNBA
Nia COffey: Northwestern to WNBA
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough: Maryland to WNBA

TRansfers:

Jessica Shepherd: Nebraska to Notre Dame
Lindsey Spann: Penn State to South Carolina
Destiny Slocum: Maryland to Oregon State

Lost to injury:

Teniya Page: Penn State

There's not a boatload of talent coming into the league at least next year. Who are the favorites?



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4526



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/06/17 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio State should be the favorite, I think everyone else is playing for second.

Purdue beat Ohio State last year in the Big Ten tournament and have some good young talent but I don't know if they can keep up with OSU in a higher scoring game without Morrisette.

Maryland is the defending champion but they lost a lot to graduation and transfer.

Michigan and Indiana to me have better returning production than Maryland but you have to give Maryland some benefit of the doubt with their Big Ten titles each year they have been in the league.

So I'd say OSU 1, Purdue 2, Maryland 3, Michigan 4, Indiana 5

Penn State was not very good with Paige, I can't imagine how bad they could be without her. Coquese Washington has really had a downward turn in her coaching tenure the past few years.


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 3107
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/06/17 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan lost a four-year starter in PG Siera Thompson. The other two PGs transferred (Brozoski and Gondrezick). IMHO if Brozoski had a crystal ball, she would have stayed if she knew Gondrezick would go. Supposedly freshman Deja Church will be looked to for PG duties, but Katelynn Flaherty might have to do more which is not her strength.

Hallie Thome just gets better and better. Freshman forward Hailey Brown, who impressed in Canada's U19 bronze, is definitely going to bring up the talent level.

Guards Nicole Munger (foot) and Akienreh Johnson (ACL) will really impact the team if they come back healthy.

I like that this is the year for a foreign trip.


calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3036
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/06/17 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still see Maryland as a co favorite with Ohio St. Michigan, Purdue and Penn St, should battle for third.


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 3107
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/06/17 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was thinking IU would be up there, but they only have 9 eligible players of which 5 are freshman. Buss and Cahill return 33ppg. The other two returnees had 5.4 combined. The Hoosiers lost a lot with the departures of Gassion, Anderson and McBride.


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 3107
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/06/17 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I still see Maryland as a co favorite with Ohio St. Michigan, Purdue and Penn St, should battle for third.


Penn St is in a world of hurt if Page can't play this year. The already lost 1/2 of their scoring from last season.

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/womens-basketball/article165333812.html


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3772
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/06/17 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I was thinking IU would be up there, but they only have 9 eligible players of which 5 are freshman. Buss and Cahill return 33ppg. The other two returnees had 5.4 combined. The Hoosiers lost a lot with the departures of Gassion, Anderson and McBride.


I was thinking the same thing regardless the inexperience of the Hoosiers. Although there are a lot of ab1G teams that might be hard pressed.d to put a twosome like abuse and Cahill together.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3772
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/06/17 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State might be the team in the B1G that adds the most new talent. Former South Carolina Gamecock Shay Colley is eligible and she just made the Canadian Seniors team that began competition in the FIBA Americup. Plus they add Forward Sidney Cooks who was a Top 10 prospect. Taryn McCutheon had a solid year as a frosh point (although she may have benefitted from other teams focusing on Jankoska) and Brandeis Agee was the only other scorer who averaged double figures.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4812
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/07/17 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It might be more interesting to debate who's going to be in the basement. I think Illinois will reside there once again despite a couple of nice recruits and a coaching change. Wisconsin has begun to dig its way out but will never return to the days of Jane Albright because they don't have an AD who takes WBB seriously....or any other women's sport except maybe hockey. Nebraska continues to be hurt by defections. Penn State was wrecked by the injury to Teniya Page and we'll just have to see what happens there, I don't know that they have much else.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 735
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/07/17 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Ohio State would make a bigger move than they did last season. MD survived Lexie Brown's departure, IMO they are better coached as a team than OSU seems to be, and they still have talent. It will be a MD-OSU battle...


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3772
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/07/17 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
It might be more interesting to debate who's going to be in the basement. I think Illinois will reside there once again despite a couple of nice recruits and a coaching change. Wisconsin has begun to dig its way out but will never return to the days of Jane Albright because they don't have an AD who takes WBB seriously....or any other women's sport except maybe hockey. Nebraska continues to be hurt by defections. Penn State was wrecked by the injury to Teniya Page and we'll just have to see what happens there, I don't know that they have much else.


Northwestern lost Coffey and two other four year starters. Even with them, they did t set the league on fire. Without them they could be very bad. And will the Rojos of Rutgers live up to the hype and deliver CViv from last seasons historically bad season?



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
bucks4now



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 631



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/09/17 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OSU lost2 starters to transfers and has no recruits coming in. I'm not optimistic about this year considering our lack of defense and we finished the season.

I had a friend ask me if I wanted to go to Duke for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. I told her no because I'm tired of the expectations of this team and our underachieving. I'll watch the game on TV.


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 3107
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/11/17 6:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
OSU lost2 starters to transfers and has no recruits coming in. I'm not optimistic about this year considering our lack of defense and we finished the season.

I had a friend ask me if I wanted to go to Duke for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. I told her no because I'm tired of the expectations of this team and our underachieving. I'll watch the game on TV.


After I read this, I looked at the roster. WTH is McGuff going to do if all of the RS JRs decide they are done playing at the end of this season? He's got a lot of highly ranked 2018s considering OSU, but do they sign if they don't have anyone to play with?

Mavunga RS SR
K. Mitchell SR
Calhoun RS JR
C. Mitchell RS JR
Holland RS SR
Harper RS SR
Doss SR
Hart SR
Waterman RS JR
Caretti SO


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 3107
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/11/17 6:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
It might be more interesting to debate who's going to be in the basement. I think Illinois will reside there once again despite a couple of nice recruits and a coaching change. Wisconsin has begun to dig its way out but will never return to the days of Jane Albright because they don't have an AD who takes WBB seriously....or any other women's sport except maybe hockey. Nebraska continues to be hurt by defections. Penn State was wrecked by the injury to Teniya Page and we'll just have to see what happens there, I don't know that they have much else.


Northwestern lost Coffey and two other four year starters. Even with them, they did t set the league on fire. Without them they could be very bad. And will the Rojos of Rutgers live up to the hype and deliver CViv from last seasons historically bad season?


Coffey, Inman, Deary and Douglas = 51 ppg in 2017.....ouch.


bucks4now



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 631



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/11/17 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
OSU lost2 starters to transfers and has no recruits coming in. I'm not optimistic about this year considering our lack of defense and we finished the season.

I had a friend ask me if I wanted to go to Duke for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. I told her no because I'm tired of the expectations of this team and our underachieving. I'll watch the game on TV.


After I read this, I looked at the roster. WTH is McGuff going to do if all of the RS JRs decide they are done playing at the end of this season? He's got a lot of highly ranked 2018s considering OSU, but do they sign if they don't have anyone to play with?

Mavunga RS SR
K. Mitchell SR
Calhoun RS JR
C. Mitchell RS JR
Holland RS SR
Harper RS SR
Doss SR
Hart SR
Waterman RS JR
Caretti SO



Holland officially retired in June. Too many injuries. She was first recruited by Foster but went to Duke when he was fired.

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170613/ohio-state--womens-basketball-kianna-holland-ends-playing-career-due-to-injuries


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 3107
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/11/17 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:


Holland officially retired in June. Too many injuries. She was first recruited by Foster but went to Duke when he was fired.

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170613/ohio-state--womens-basketball-kianna-holland-ends-playing-career-due-to-injuries


That's too bad. The SID hasn't updated the roster on the site.


bucks4now



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 631



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/11/17 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
bucks4now wrote:


Holland officially retired in June. Too many injuries. She was first recruited by Foster but went to Duke when he was fired.

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170613/ohio-state--womens-basketball-kianna-holland-ends-playing-career-due-to-injuries


That's too bad. The SID hasn't updated the roster on the site.


It'a on the OSU website with an article.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3772
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/11/17 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa returns a loaded roster and features maybe one of the best low post scorers in the league in Megan Gustafson. But they need a solid point guard to run the show; if Tania Davis is back from a knee injury sustained mid-B1G play last year, then Iowa has the trigger to key the HAWK perimeter threat. Hawkeyes year in-and-out struggle with rebounding against conference foes and they need young forwards like Carly Mohn and Jinaya Huston to be able to pull down caroms.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3772
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/11/17 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
OSU lost2 starters to transfers and has no recruits coming in. I'm not optimistic about this year considering our lack of defense and we finished the season.

I had a friend ask me if I wanted to go to Duke for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. I told her no because I'm tired of the expectations of this team and our underachieving. I'll watch the game on TV.


Kelsey Mitchell's scoring will cover a lot of inadequacies on this team. THeOSU will miss Sha Coopers all around skill set, tho. She could step on and give the team what they needed.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49080



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/11/17 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell
Doss/Harper
Calhoun
Hart
Mavunga

Something like that?
I've liked what I've seen from Harper before but I'm not sure where she's at now.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin