RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Foreign Junkets 2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/02/17 11:08 pm    ::: Foreign Junkets 2017 Reply Reply with quote

Since travel season seems to be starting, I thought it would be interesting to have a thread to collect news of this summer's foreign "team building" exercises.

It seems these used to be pretty straightforward Italy or France or Spain or the like. Now teams are trying to outdo one another every four years with ever more exotic locales. I also find it amusing that they meet up to play exhibitions against foreign opponents also travelling from thousands of miles away. (Hey most players get one trip. If I was transferring, I might ask potential schools up front when and where the next trip is planned and see if I could squeeze two interesting international trips out of my career. Cool )

UVA is headed to Costa Rica now, where they will play two games vs the University of Ottowa and one against the Costa Rica national team. Here's an article about their trip. http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/073117aab.html

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/02/17 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke travels to Italy starting August 14th visiting Rome Florence and Venice. They will play the Ditch National Team, a team of Italian All-Stars, and a club from Slovenia.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211658131&DB_OEM_ID=4200

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/03/17 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan also headed to Italy and to Greece. They'll play mostly club teams from the two nations.

http://mgoblue.com/news/2017/7/24/womens-basketball-to-take-foreign-trip-to-italy-and-greece.aspx?path=wbball

mzonefan

PostPosted: 08/03/17 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana is also going to Italy.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/03/17 2:44 pm    ::: Re: Foreign Junkets 2017 Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
(Hey most players get one trip. If I was transferring, I might ask potential schools up front when and where the next trip is planned and see if I could squeeze two interesting international trips out of my career. Cool )

Laughing I actually thought of this myself so I bet some of those transfers have as well.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/03/17 4:22 pm    ::: Re: Foreign Junkets 2017 Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
(Hey most players get one trip. If I was transferring, I might ask potential schools up front when and where the next trip is planned and see if I could squeeze two interesting international trips out of my career. Cool )

Laughing I actually thought of this myself so I bet some of those transfers have as well.

The rules specifically say that a player may only make one trip at a single school (no taking a second trip in a fifth year), but do not prohibit 2 or even 3 trips at different schools. Let's see, 1 trip as a freshman, transfer, take a second trip, graduate student transfer, take a third trip. Sounds good to me. Better than most of the reasons for tranferring.

By the way, you are permitted to take a foreign trip and play in the exhibition games during your "sit out" year after transferring.

As an aside, there's also a specific rule allowing schools to pay for their players to get passports (which they can keep).

CompSci87

PostPosted: 08/03/17 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford will be going to Italy in September.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 08/05/17 3:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina has already had their fun - they visited Tokyo Japan in late June, and played three scrimmages against the Japan National Team....

Kookiebean

PostPosted: 08/10/17 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

University Of Utah in Italy August 5 to August 15.

PostPosted: 08/11/17 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK State is currently in Australia.

noleman

PostPosted: 08/11/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FSU won their 2nd game against a group of Sicily All-Stars 122-36.

Chatrice White led the way with 22 points
Grad-Transfer Alix had 11 assists.

In their 1st game a couple of days ago against Italy Selezione, FSU won 103-33.

Imani Wright led the way with 23 points
Alix had 9 assists.

crispyten

PostPosted: 08/15/17 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia Tech is in Italy Aug. 7-20. With three players from Italy, they should have no problem finding interpreters and tour guides.

- Senior, combo guard, Antonia Peresson is playing in her home town of Pordenone, Italy.
- Sophomore, guard, Francesca Pan (2016-17 ACC freshman of the year) is from Bassaco del Grappa, Italy.
- Incoming freshman, center, Lorela Cubaj is from Terni, Italy and played on Italy's U19 in July.

Vanderbilt is in Costa Rica Aug. 12-19.

In addition to playing basketball and touring, the players and staff sized and fitted 400 Costa Rican children with shoes with the help of Soles4Souls, a Nashville non-profit.

Last edited by crispyten on 09/04/17 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 08/16/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uconn beat the Dutch national team Collier lead first game with 16, KLS lead second with 23 and 5 assists having not played much in the first half of first game. Looked like Geno was sending a message to the underclass as he played them solely in 4th and they went 6-24. little wake up call to show them how hard it is to play without the starters.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/16/17 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal is heading down to Australia and New Zealand, homes of junior Sara Anastasieska and Senior Penina Davidson, respectively. Sara is a transfer from UT San Antonio in 2016 who is eligible to play this season.

http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/8/9/womens-basketball-bears-abroad.aspx?path=wbball

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/16/17 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke downed the Dutch National Team lead by Lexie Browns 16, Rebecca Greenwells 13, and 12 each from Soph. Leonna Odom, and Fr. MiKayla Boykin.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/20/17 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most of Duke's team will continue touring Italy but Lexie Brown, Rebecca Greenwell, and Bego Faz Davalos must leave the team to get back to their Masters program.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/24/17 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
Stanford will be going to Italy in September.

from newsletter
Quote:
The Cardinal will leave campus on Tuesday, Sept. 5 and return to Stanford on Friday, Sept. 15. The journey, which programs are able to take once every four years, will have Stanford traveling to Rome (Sept. 6-Cool, Orvieto (Sept. 9), Florence (Sept. 9-11) and Venice (Sept. 12-14).

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 08/24/17 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan's got a special web page, hash tag twitter feed, etc. for #MGoEurope.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/2017/8/16/womens-basketball-in-europe-2017.aspx

They had a live periscope feed of today's 109-58 win against the Italian All-Stars in Rome.

crispyten

PostPosted: 09/04/17 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

crispyten wrote:
Georgia Tech is in Italy Aug. 7-20. With three players from Italy, they should have no problem finding interpreters and tour guides.

- Senior, combo guard, Antonia Peresson is playing in her home town of Pordenone, Italy.
- Sophomore, guard, Francesca Pan (2016-17 ACC freshman of the year) is from Bassaco del Grappa, Italy.
- Incoming freshman, center, Lorela Cubaj is from Terni, Italy and played on Italy's U19 in July.

Vanderbilt is in Costa Rica Aug. 12-19.

In addition to playing basketball and touring, the players and staff sized and fitted 400 Costa Rican children with shoes with the help of Soles4Souls, a Nashville non-profit.

Georgia Tech played four games in Italy. Antonia Peresson was able to show off her 3-point skills to her hometown family and friends. Francesca Pan had sprained her ankle playing for the Italian U20 team and played just enough for Tech to say she participated. Lorela Cubaj had played for the Italian U19 team and apparently skipped these games so she could go to Atlanta to get ready for school.
Tech defeated Bosnia's U19 team Orlivi Banja Luka 101-31 and 96-18.
Tech defeated a Slovenian team 81-40. All three games played in Pordenone.
In Venice, Tech defeated a professional team, Celje Slovenia 60-41.
(A few days later Celje Slovenia defeated UConn 79-59. Wish I could read something into that fact, but I'm afraid these games don't mean much except to give the students some great life experiences).

Vanderbilt played two games and spent a lot of time learning about Costa Rica.
Vandy defeated University of Ottawa 70-56 and a Costa Rican team 76-56.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/05/17 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Siena went to Cuba!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: