Total Votes : 39

pilight

PostPosted: 07/31/17 7:32 am    ::: COY Reply Reply with quote

Monday Poll time!

PostPosted: 07/31/17 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing's changed here. CM

kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 07/31/17 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the coach who has lead her team to 19-2.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/31/17 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kojthiabkuv wrote:

Ditto.

PostPosted: 07/31/17 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
kojthiabkuv wrote:

Ditto.

Losing to the Sky disqualifies you from this award, if not losing in the WNBA Finals as the #1 seed the prior year after winning. #AglerRobbed Very Happy

pilight

PostPosted: 07/31/17 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Losing to the Sky disqualifies you from this award, if not losing in the WNBA Finals as the #1 seed the prior year after winning

Only two current head coaches have never lost to the Sky: Pokey Chatman and Amber Stocks. Which one are you voting for?

PostPosted: 07/31/17 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Losing to the Sky disqualifies you from this award, if not losing in the WNBA Finals as the #1 seed the prior year after winning

Only two current head coaches have never lost to the Sky: Pokey Chatman and Amber Stocks. Which one are you voting for?

Curt Miller, because he didn't lose to the Sky this year. Smile

Kailapea

PostPosted: 07/31/17 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kojthiabkuv wrote:

Just for conversation sake, Why? The Lynx are a great team and well coached. They made few off season moves and, I would say, expected to repeat as regular season champs and play for another title. That's a give me. But why does that make her the front runner in the argument for COY? I would think the discussion should center around a coach of a team that has had a significant turn around or improvement? I'm not saying she shouldn't be in the conversation, but why should she be the automatic choice for something her team is expected to do?

I know how it's done, in this league and would guess, unless something major changes, it will go to her. I just don't necessarily agree with a lot of goings on around the league, including how award winners a selected.

PostPosted: 07/31/17 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:
kojthiabkuv wrote:

Just for conversation sake, Why? The Lynx are a great team and well coached. They made few off season moves and, I would say, expected to repeat as regular season champs and play for another title. That's a give me. But why does that make her the front runner in the argument for COY? I would think the discussion should center around a coach of a team that has had a significant turn around or improvement? I'm not saying she shouldn't be in the conversation, but why should she be the automatic choice for something her team is expected to do?

I know how it's done, in this league and would guess, unless something major changes, it will go to her. I just don't necessarily agree with a lot of goings on around the league, including how award winners a selected.

I'll let Coach Reeve answer that...

http://www.startribune.com/lynx-coach-cheryl-reeve-talks-media-coverage-challenge-of-being-at-the-top/437404283/
Quote:
Q The Lynx have the league’s best record — again. Does it get harder or easier to stay on top as the years go by?

A I think the simple answer is it is harder. It’s harder because from 2011 until now, we’ve seen 11 other teams get better, adding better players. … We’ve seen the talent gap close. There are only 12 teams. That’s why I think it’s significant what this team is doing. It would be easy for these guys to say, “We’ve had the limelight and our share.” It would be easy to soften to it. But when you’re around these players, they grow in their passion and get even more interested in accomplishing things. It is just unheard of.

adamj95

PostPosted: 07/31/17 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve should be the front runner because her team is 19-2. Every single year people keep saying the Lynx are too old but every single year they show up and go to work. With the amount of talent this Lynx team has, they could set the record for most wins in a regular season. If they do that, Reeve will get my vote at the end of the season.

Kailapea

PostPosted: 07/31/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kojthiabkuv wrote:
Kailapea wrote:
kojthiabkuv wrote:

I'll let Coach Reeve answer that...

http://www.startribune.com/lynx-coach-cheryl-reeve-talks-media-coverage-challenge-of-being-at-the-top/437404283/
Quote:
Q The Lynx have the league’s best record — again. Does it get harder or easier to stay on top as the years go by?

A I think the simple answer is it is harder. It’s harder because from 2011 until now, we’ve seen 11 other teams get better, adding better players. … We’ve seen the talent gap close. There are only 12 teams. That’s why I think it’s significant what this team is doing. It would be easy for these guys to say, “We’ve had the limelight and our share.” It would be easy to soften to it. But when you’re around these players, they grow in their passion and get even more interested in accomplishing things. It is just unheard of.

When you have a team who is as talented and cohesive as the Lynx are, how much of it is coaching, and how much is the comfort and confidence that long time teammates have in one another (without question, Minnesota has some of the best players across the board - despite their "age"). I would suspect that if Reeve was out of the picture, for a couple of games, the team would still have success. But if you look at teams like Conn and WA, who have exceeded, or already matched, their wins from last season and are likely to exceed last years finishes.... Those coaches seriously need to be in the discussion as well.

My only point is it shouldn't necessarily be a gimme cause you have the best record.

PostPosted: 07/31/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington added the 2015 MVP and a starter from last year's champs. Of course they're better than they were. If you're going to discount Reeve's record for having too much talent you can't reasonably vote for Thibault based on his team's improvement.

Dallas has already matched their win total from last season. Does that make Fred Williams a COY contender?

PostPosted: 07/31/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Washington added the 2015 MVP and a starter from last year's champs. Of course they're better than they were. If you're going to discount Reeve's record for having too much talent you can't reasonably vote for Thibault based on his team's improvement.

Dallas has already matched their win total from last season. Does that make Fred Williams a COY contender?

I'm not discounting anything she's done or her team is doing. I am just posing the question.. Doesn't there need to be conversation or should the award be handed over based solely on a teams success.

PostPosted: 07/31/17 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

If fred even garnered a vote for COY id spit fire on his entire life & say he took a trip to the bermuda triangle thus the reasons for his sudden disappearance !

PostPosted: 07/31/17 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It shouldn't be the Biggest Turnaround award like pilight likes to make it out to be. Connecticut hugely underperformed last year. This year they're maybe slightly better than they should be. Does Miller really deserve all the credit for Connecticut's improvement? If so, show me with something more than cliches and sales pitches.

The simple answer is the Lynx are at a franchise best 19-2. Best record 21 games in ever. Is any other team at a franchise best record?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 07/31/17 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Best record 21 games in ever

...still belongs to the 1998 Houston Comets, who were 20-1 through 21 games.

Quote:
Is any other team at a franchise best record?

If the Wings are considered a separate franchise from the Shock, then yes. The Mystics are only one game off of their best ever 23 game record (the 2002 Mystics were 15-8 before falling to 17-15 at season end).

Last edited by pilight on 07/31/17 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/31/17 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It shouldn't be the Biggest Turnaround award like pilight likes to make it out to be. Connecticut hugely underperformed last year. This year they're maybe slightly better than they should be. Does Miller really deserve all the credit for Connecticut's improvement? If so, show me with something more than cliches and sales pitches.

The simple answer is the Lynx are at a franchise best 19-2. Best record 21 games in ever. Is any other team at a franchise best record?

The Lynx underperformed last year (should've won at least 30+ games in the regular season, then win the Finals), and Reeve still got COY, so I want someone else to win this year to make up for her "undeserved" award last year.

The Sparks were 20-1 to start last year, IIRC.

Reeve took scrubs no teams wanted in Maya Moore, and Sylvia Fowles and turned them into All-Stars while Miller inherited some of the greatest players in WNBA history in Jasmine Thomas, Alyssa Thomas, and a player teams like Seattle were tanking for in Jonquel Jones. Smile

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 07/31/17 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/31/17 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

duplicate

Shades

PostPosted: 07/31/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
Best record 21 games in ever

...still belongs to the 1998 Houston Comets, who were 20-1 through 21 games.

You edited it out, but I said "franchise best". Your follow up shows you knew what I meant, so I'm not sure why you're being that way.

pilight wrote:
Quote:
Is any other team at a franchise best record?

If the Wings are considered a separate franchise from the Shock, then yes. The Mystics are only one game off of their best ever 23 game record (the 2002 Mystics were 15-8 before falling to 17-15 at season end).

I'm skeptical of your findings, but seeing that Tulsa's first or second season was something like the worst WNBA season ever, it's a very low bar set for them.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/31/17 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My vote goes to Miller. Everyone thought they would be in the bottom and that he should be fired. He turned this team of young players around.

Reeve has the MVP and Maya Moore on her team..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/31/17 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Nothing's changed here.

True, regardless of whom people support. Same candidates, same arguments.
Randy

PostPosted: 07/31/17 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
Nothing's changed here.

True, regardless of whom people support. Same candidates, same arguments.

Same people arguing. But that is the purpose of sport, so pass the popcorn.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/31/17 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

The team is missing Chiney Ogwumike, the former ROY and the team's leading rebounder and second leading scorer last year (not to mention the leader in free throws made and second on the team in field goals made).

Yet Connecticut is 7 wins better than at this point last year. And a lot of that has to do with coaching decisions (e.g., turning Bentley into a sub off the bench instead of starting; moving Alyssa Thomas to the four to be a playmaking forward; etc.).

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/31/17 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:

The team is missing Chiney Ogwumike, the former ROY and the team's leading rebounder and second leading scorer last year (not to mention the leader in free throws made and second on the team in field goals made).

Yet Connecticut is 7 wins better than at this point last year. And a lot of that has to do with coaching decisions (e.g., turning Bentley into a sub off the bench instead of starting; moving Alyssa Thomas to the four to be a playmaking forward; etc.).

You do realize that moving Thomas to the 4 was his only option, right? It wasn't some stroke of mad genious or anything. Really it should be WTF took you so long.

Compare that to turning Rebekkah Brunson(!) into one of the league's top 3pt threats...

I'll repeat the same thing I say every week, as long as the Lynx are on pace for a 30 win season Reeve should be the only legitimate option. If they don't hit that mark, then Miller comes into the conversation. But to reward him for his team terribly underperforming last year is kind of dumb. They should have been at least mediocre last year, so the step up to the "better than average" they are this year is really not all that.

PostPosted: 07/31/17 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:

You do realize that moving Thomas to the 4 was his only option, right? It wasn't some stroke of mad genious or anything. Really it should be WTF took you so long.

Compare that to turning Rebekkah Brunson(!) into one of the league's top 3pt threats...

'Only option' is a little tough. When Tuck got hurt Kizer was still healthy, so he could've kept traditional bigs at the 4/5 spots and left AThomas at the 3. But yeah, the credit you give to Miller is complicated a little by the way he lucked into the lineups that've worked. Bentley only got benched because she went overseas and the team played too well in her absence to let her back in. AThomas only got the play the 4 because of injuries and absences, after years of refusing to even try her there. Stricklen only got heavy minutes at the 3 because with Tuck hurt and AThomas sliding over they were running out of options on the wing. But it's still hard to ignore how many players have improved dramatically under Miller's watch this season.

And you could apply the 'WTF took you so long' question to making Brunson a three-point shooter as well...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: