RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Voepel: What are the key's to the Lynx's winning culture
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 07/27/17 12:25 am    ::: Voepel: What are the key's to the Lynx's winning culture Reply Reply with quote

Maya Moore on Kyrie, LeBron and the Cavs: When the Lynx stick together, 'we win'

Quote:
"The culture that has been set, from leadership on down, of being good to each other," Moore said, repeating a phrase she claims coach Cheryl Reeve uses a lot. "Because it's not going to be everything it can be, and it's not going to feel as good as it can, if we don't approach our journey that way.

"Having done that season after season, especially the four of us who've been together so long -- and adding players who also have that mindset as well -- we win. When we have that commitment of looking out for each other, we can get through things. When the tough parts of the season or lulls come, we can overcome those quicker because we have that chemistry."

Quote:
So when Dallas' Skylar Diggins-Smith asked Augustus at the All-Star Game how Minnesota had put together such a dominant team, the Lynx veteran mapped it out in detail. She explained it was a combination over several years of smart decisions (including hiring Reeve), fortuitous timing and even good luck. But it also required patience, as well as some concessions -- particularly for a star player like Augustus.

"You may have to sacrifice some of your game to win," Augustus said. "With me, I had to be more of a defensive-minded player. I wasn't going to score as many points as I did earlier in my career, but I didn't care. I was at a point where I was tired of losing.

"I knew what had to happen in order for us to win: I needed great players around me. Young players have to understand that if you don't have the right mindset, if you aren't willing to sacrifice for what makes the team work, it's not going to work."

I quoted a lot, but it is a long article and has some really interesting insight into all of this. Well worth a full read, and if not that, at least a click.

PostPosted: 07/27/17 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having two high-end first overall picks, a second overall pick the caliber of a first overall and another player acquired in exchange for a high-end first overall pick never hurts. Laughing

So if Dallas can get 2 or 3 first overall picks to go with Skylar and Gray they should be pretty close to championship caliber. Or if Cambage wanted to play in a dedicated way yearly perhaps they would only need one or two. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/27/17 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Having two high-end first overall picks, a second overall pick the caliber of a first overall and another player acquired in exchange for a high-end first overall pick never hurts. Laughing

So if Dallas can get 2 or 3 first overall picks to go with Skylar and Gray they should be pretty close to championship caliber. Or if Cambage wanted to play in a dedicated way yearly perhaps they would only need one or two. Laughing

Yeah, Augustus sounded like she was upfront about that. "Smart decisions, fortuitous timing, and good luck"....

But so many teams generate that sort of talent (or at least start to), and then either never gel together or are unable to sustain it. Even with all world talent, being in contention for seven straight years is insane. It takes something else to accomplish that. Augustus and Moore believe that it is sacrifice of the personal ego and commitment to team first. Kyrie Irving can't take being in the shadow of another player, can't set his ego aside, and he is far from alone.

Having the pieces fall into place is the necessary first step, but it is far from the final one.

PostPosted: 07/27/17 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

more like getting Augustus & Moore in the draft when the team sucked. Having Brunson fall into their laps when the Monarchs folded*. Having Fowles demand to be traded there. And having Whalen asking to go back to her home state of Minnesota. That's how a team gets 5 All-Stars on their roster.

*still pissed the Liberty didn't take Brunson at #1

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 07/27/17 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
more like getting Augustus & Moore in the draft when the team sucked.

I think if they had been healthy the whole season in 2010 they would have been out of the lottery. The last place Tulsa Shock beat them twice early in the season and they ended the year with the same record as the 4th place Sparks. That is, the team with Augustus, Whalen and Brunson probably didn't suck before they added Moore.

Last edited by tfan on 07/27/17 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/27/17 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
more like getting Augustus & Moore in the draft when the team sucked. Having Brunson fall into their laps when the Monarchs folded*. Having Fowles demand to be traded there. And having Whalen asking to go back to her home state of Minnesota. That's how a team gets 5 All-Stars on their roster.

omg u took the words out my mouth . I was watching the Minny vs Libs game last night thinking WTH were the liberty thinking taking Powell #1 over BBrunson Shocked , Was that a blaze move ? I cant remember back that far in detail but it was Dumb ASF and has her name written all over it

PostPosted: 07/27/17 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Or if they don't waste a #3 pick like they did this year.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 07/27/17 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Or if they don't waste a #3 pick like they did this year.

Minnesota wasted a lottery pick in 2011. They won the championship anyway.

PostPosted: 07/27/17 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nicole Powell had her best scoring year in 2009 (16.7 ppg), the year before the dispersal draft. She was also an all-star that year, while Brunson was an all-star in 2007.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/27/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Keys to the Lynx's winning culture?? Easy. Suck for years and years and build up a bunch of #1 draft picks, and have superstar centers force they're way onto the team via threatening to sit out the year on their former team. That's about all you need to do.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/27/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Nicole Powell had her best scoring year in 2009 (16.7 ppg), the year before the dispersal draft. She was also an all-star that year, while Brunson was an all-star in 2007.

Yeah, the way I remember it that was generally considered a pretty reasonable pick by New York. Minnesota had the easy spot at #2 in the dispersal draft, simply taking whichever of Powell/Brunson was still there.

PostPosted: 07/27/17 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
The Keys to the Lynx's winning culture?? Easy. Suck for years and years and build up a bunch of #1 draft picks, and have superstar centers force they're way onto the team via threatening to sit out the year on their former team. That's about all you need to do.

Getting Big Syl did't hurt too much either Wink

Randy

PostPosted: 07/27/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They had already built their winning culture. Once that was accomplished, getting ring shoppers aboard was the easy part.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/27/17 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

I was not aware that two #1 picks constituted a "bunch". Unless you mean first round picks, in which case it's worth noting that San Antonio has just as many as Minnesota and had more before the Currie trade.

Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 07/28/17 1:36 pm    ::: Luck Matters But Isn't Everything Reply Reply with quote

There are a lot of people here who can't admit that great teams aren't ONLY lucky teams. Minnesota was lucky, sure, but they took that luck and maximized what it gave them. If you refuse to give them credit for that then you are just jealous.

Many teams have runs of good luck. And many teams don't use that luck to create a winning culture. Luck? After years of bad luck the Lynx got some good luck...and they didn't squander it. They nurtured it.

The funny thing is that you can't duplicate this kind of thing. Every great team is built through luck and smarts and talent. But every great team is also unique.

#NATC

PostPosted: 07/28/17 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

Exactly. Selecting Powell before Brunson was not that crazy at the time.

PostPosted: 07/29/17 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Getting Big Syl did't hurt too much either Wink

I said that when I said Having superstar centers forcing trades to the Lynx. Lol.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/29/17 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone who wants to discount luck, ask how many championships the core of Monique Currie, Monica Wright (taken not via a trade, but after coming in second in the 2010 lottery), Demya Walker, and Liz Cambage woud have won.

How many championships Seattle would have after taking Jackie Stiles and Stacey-Dales Schuman in consecutive drafts?

How would LA have looked last season with the dynamic duo of Alexis Hornbuckle and Deveraux Peters?

How might Dallas look this season with Brittany Griner and Maya Moore as its stars?

How many No. 1 picks were all-stars this year, compared to No. 2 picks? How many No. 1 picks are on the Olympic team compared to No. 2 and No. 3 picks?

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/29/17 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Anyone who wants to discount luck, ask how many championships the core of Monique Currie, Monica Wright (taken not via a trade, but after coming in second in the 2010 lottery), Demya Walker, and Liz Cambage woud have won.

How many championships Seattle would have after taking Jackie Stiles and Stacey-Dales Schuman in consecutive drafts?

How would LA have looked last season with the dynamic duo of Alexis Hornbuckle and Deveraux Peters?

How might Dallas look this season with Brittany Griner and Maya Moore as its stars?

How many No. 1 picks were all-stars this year, compared to No. 2 picks? How many No. 1 picks are on the Olympic team compared to No. 2 and No. 3 picks?

Damn! If you think that Dallas could have gotten Maya Moore, and still been bad enough to get Brittney Griner, then you might hate Maya Moore even more than I do!

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/29/17 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Damn! If you think that Dallas could have gotten Maya Moore, and still been bad enough to get Brittney Griner, then you might hate Maya Moore even more than I do!

You mean like how Phoenix got Diana Taurasi and was still bad enough to get Cappie Pondexter, Penny Taylor, and Brittany Griner (and the No. 1 pick they turned into Tangela Smith)?

Or how Seattle got Lauren Jackson and was still bad enough to get Sue Bird?

Randy

PostPosted: 07/29/17 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't forget - the Shock had Nolan Richardson as coach. I'm pretty sure that fact alone would have kept the Shock in the lottery for a while longer even with Maya Moore.

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/29/17 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luck cannot be discounted. To win, you need talent, and aquiring it in a league like the WNBA involves not only being bad for a while but doing it at the right time (and then not missing on the picks when they fall in your lap). But luck is not the whole story, just the first step. After that it is about getting players to meld together and to put their egos to the side for the better of the team. You need to get them to all buy in. So many teams get the first part done and then fail with the rest. They end up either not winning or having discontent stars that forces an eventual rebuild, or they end up as a flash-in-the-pan success that is not able to maintain sustained greatness.

PostPosted: 07/29/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Ugh, don't remind me. We had Shameka, we didn't need Powell. Brunson would have been so perfect...

And that Whalen trade probably doesn't happen if Minnesota doesn't have that pick from LA that LA got from NY.

Come to think of it, y'all probably owe Blaze a copy of one of your rings. Wink

PostPosted: 07/29/17 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Houston Comets were even more dominant than the Lynx, when they had the most talent. But I don't recall feel good stories about working together in perfect harmony. In fact, it was rumored that Swoopes and Cooper didn't get along.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/29/17 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

You mean like how Phoenix got Diana Taurasi and was still bad enough to get Cappie Pondexter, Penny Taylor, and Brittany Griner (and the No. 1 pick they turned into Tangela Smith)?

Or how Seattle got Lauren Jackson and was still bad enough to get Sue Bird?

Only one of those were the #1 overall pick. Also, I don't really think that Maya Moore would have been shut down in her sophomore season for a toothache, or whatever the hell the official "reason" was.

... I may also think that Lauren Jackson was overrated...

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: