PostPosted: 07/24/17 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Sykes.

I switched to Sykes as well.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/24/17 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grays body of work speaks for itself.

PostPosted: 07/24/17 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grays FG% has dropped to 37,7% and 26,6 % from 3. Sykes is 42,6 from the field a nice 38,6% from 3. My vote would go to her right now.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/24/17 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Grays body of work speaks for itself.

Gray has started to hit that dreaded rookie wall. Sykes started off slower but has really heated up as of late. If she keeps going at her current pace, and Gray keeps going at her current place, it should be in Sykes favor by the end of the season.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/24/17 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So because a player who did absolutely nothing the 1st 10 games starts getting hot the latter half she gets the nod over hte player who has played a steady pace since game 1 and seems to be hitting a slump for the last 3 games or so ? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/24/17 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
So because a player who did absolutely nothing the 1st 10 games starts getting hot the latter half she gets the nod over hte player who has played a steady pace since game 1 and seems to be hitting a slump for the last 3 games or so ? Rolling Eyes

Can't blame Sykes for playing 26 total minutes(5.2 mpg) in the first 5 games.Sykes is putting up nearly the same numbers as Gray despite playing 25% less minutes.

Last 15 gms:
14.9p/4.5r/1.7a/42%/40%/73% in 26.7 mpg---Sykes has hit 36 of her last 38 free throws after hitting only 3 of 13 during a two game stretch.

Gray has been solid,but Sykes is playing like a beast.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/24/17 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or does this have more to do with ATL needing to find there next star and dallas already having Diggins and possibly cambage next season so the feel good story of Sykes being the next big thing in a market that needs that future doll too hard to pass up ?

PostPosted: 07/24/17 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Or does this have more to do with ATL needing to find there next star and dallas already having Diggins and possibly cambage next season so the feel good story of Sykes being the next big thing in a market that needs that future doll too hard to pass up ?

Your being a homer. Disagree with everything u said here. I also said if Sykes keeps steady and keeps upping her game while Gray's shooting percentages keep regressing the rest of the season, Sykes should win.

And Dallas would actually benefit from having a ROY 'doll' more than Atlanta because Dallas thus far has been probably the worst market in the league since moving from Tulsa. There was more fan support and attendance in Tulsa in their last season than has been in Dallas so far.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/24/17 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People voted on reflex last week and didn't looking at the numbers, and now they're flipping their vote.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92148&start=14

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/24/17 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
People voted on reflex last week and didn't looking at the numbers, and now they're flipping their vote.

My point exactly....And yes im a homer duhh Cool Gray has been the most consisten rookie over the entirety of the season not just the last 2 or 3 weeks so im sticking with my vote. A . Gray ROY 2018

PostPosted: 07/24/17 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

They flipped because of my post Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 07/24/17 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

My point exactly....And yes im a homer duhh Cool Gray has been the most consisten rookie over the entirety of the season not just the last 2 or 3 weeks so im sticking with my vote. A . Gray ROY 2018

Uh, you seem to be missing my point. My point was Sykes deserved way more than 22% of the vote. Most of the people that voted for Gray did so before the stats were posted a day later.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When was the last time, if ever, that the leading scorer didn't win ROY?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gray may have produced more consistently over the season so far, but the overall numbers are pretty similar, illustrating how much more impressive Sykes has been lately. Combined with Skyes's percentages and advanced numbers being better, she's at least pulled level at this point (and recent performance suggests she's likely to pull ahead in upcoming games).

That said, helping Sykes out is that a lot of rookies open up explosively and then drop off as the League works them out and scout them better. Basically not playing in the early games means that the last few weeks have essentially been that explosive opening for her. Now that she'll be in the scouting report for the rest of the season, things might get more difficult. A big drop off - and for someone who does like to shoot a lot, the percentages could fall off a cliff if she goes cold - could push Gray back in front.

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

I think Armintie Price/Herrington was outscored by Lindsey Harding the year Herrington won it. I'll leave it to pilight to tell us if there were others Smile.

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I think Armintie Price/Herrington was outscored by Lindsey Harding the year Herrington won it. I'll leave it to pilight to tell us if there were others Smile.

That sounds right. Though Harding was injured and only played 20 games, or she certainly would have won.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

The last time it happened was 2014, when Odyssey Sims led all rookies in scoring but Chiney Ogwumike won ROY. It also happened in 2001, 2003, and 2007.

OTOH, there has never been a ROY who shot under 40% for the season. A big part of why Lauren Jackson lost to Jackie Stiles in 2001 was Jackson's poor FG%.

Last edited by pilight on 07/24/17 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Shades wrote:

They flipped because of my post Twisted Evil

Hardly. Don't flatter yourself

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Your being a homer. Disagree with everything u said here. I also said if Sykes keeps steady and keeps upping her game while Gray's shooting percentages keep regressing the rest of the season, Sykes should win.

And Dallas would actually benefit from having a ROY 'doll' more than Atlanta because Dallas thus far has been probably the worst market in the league since moving from Tulsa. There was more fan support and attendance in Tulsa in their last season than has been in Dallas so far.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had both on college fantasy teams so watched them quite a lot. I'm actually somewhat surprised both have adapted to the W so quickly. Gray has always been steady and does what her team needs. Sykes has a lot of upside if she would remember that it is a team game and she actually has teammates, but it's hard for me to vote for her so long as it's continually all about 'me'. The game is more than statistics.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I had both on college fantasy teams so watched them quite a lot. I'm actually somewhat surprised both have adapted to the W so quickly. Gray has always been steady and does what her team needs. Sykes has a lot of upside if she would remember that it is a team game and she actually has teammates, but it's hard for me to vote for her so long as it's continually all about 'me'. The game is more than statistics.

FWIW, Sykes averages more assists per game than Gray, despite averaging fewer minutes. Sykes had five assists in her last game. Gray has one assist in the month of July.

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I've thought Sykes has flashed some nice passing vision in recent games. She's seeing on some of her drives that people are wide open on the perimeter and that might be a better option than forcing the layup. And as long as she stays pretty efficient, shooting a bunch doesn't bother me. You only become the dreaded 'volume scorer' when the percentages are crappy and you need lots of shots to get your points.

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, I've thought Sykes has flashed some nice passing vision in recent games. She's seeing on some of her drives that people are wide open on the perimeter and that might be a better option than forcing the layup. And as long as she stays pretty efficient, shooting a bunch doesn't bother me. You only become the dreaded 'volume scorer' when the percentages are crappy and you need lots of shots to get your points.

Otherwise known as Alex Bentley.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: