someone else
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 41

pilight

PostPosted: 07/24/17 6:49 am    ::: MVP Reply Reply with quote

Monday Poll time!

PostPosted: 07/24/17 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griner is out of the race for me because of her injury. She'll be missing at least a few more games, probably more.

JJ will be MVP in the future.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/24/17 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Griner is out of the race for me because of her injury. She'll be missing at least a few more games, probably more.

Rolling Eyes

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Wow, did you burn much of your gray matter coming up with that incredibly intellectual reply? Care to explain your eye roll? You don't see Jonquel Jones as a possible future MVP candidate? I mean, if your going to take all that time to reply, at least add something to the conversation.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Wow, did you burn much of your gray matter coming up with that incredibly intellectual reply? Care to explain your eye roll? You don't see Jonquel Jones as a possible future MVP candidate?

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 07/24/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just can't accept someone who's not the best player on their own team as the MVP. Without injury it would be Griner easily, but I guess Charles is my front-runner now.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/24/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
I just can't accept someone who's not the best player on their own team as the MVP. Without injury it would be Griner easily, but I guess Charles is my front-runner now.

Who's better than Jonquel on her team in your opinon? im curious to know

PostPosted: 07/24/17 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

??????????????????????????? Easily griner ? Lets just forget Sylvia fowles whos been the front runner for MVP since game 1 this year Laughing Arrow

PostPosted: 07/24/17 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

For that matter, who is playing better than Fowles on the Lynx?

PostPosted: 07/24/17 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never mentioned JJ. Fantastic player, will be in contention throughout her career.

As for the Lynx, are we pretending that Maya is not the best player in the world because she started slow?

adamj95

PostPosted: 07/24/17 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Agree. Maya may be the best player in the world, but she is having an off season shooting wise. Fowles will be MVP if she keeps up her production.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/24/17 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Agree. Maya may be the best player in the world, but she is having an off season shooting wise. Fowles will be MVP if she keeps up her production.

Is Fowles playing at a high level on her own? Is she creating her own shots? Does she benefit from unselfish play from not only Maya (who practices the two-man game with Fowles extensively) and Whalen but of all people former cover girl of Me-ball Magazine, Seimone Augustus? Of all the candidates, Fowles as MVP represents a team award, and I'm positive she would agree.

In 2014, Maya had to strap the team on her back. She really owned the MVP award that year.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 07/24/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Is Fowles playing at a high level on her own? Is she creating her own shots? Does she benefit from unselfish play from not only Maya (who practices the two-man game with Fowles extensively) and Whalen but of all people former cover girl of Me-ball Magazine, Seimone Augustus? Of all the candidates, Fowles as MVP represents a team award, and I'm positive she would agree.

In 2014, Maya had to strap the team on her back. She really owned the MVP award that year.

Of course she benefits from people being able to get her the ball. That has always been the case for true post players (as opposed to stretch players).

But she has become the central focus of other team's defenders. Every game now, as soon as she touches the ball she is doubled. Teams are selling out to prevent her from dominating them. Not even Maya is getting thay sort of attention right now. If anything, Fowles is making it easier on the rest of the team as she is able to get them more space and clean up their misses.

PostPosted: 07/24/17 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

As for the Lynx, are we pretending that Maya is not the best player in the world because she started slow?

So by your definition we should only be looking at who historically has been a team's best player, not who is currently playing the best on the team? If that is your standard, I couldn't disagree more.

Maya is having a down year by her standards. She has been very inefficient. Fowles, on the other hand, has been dominate since game one this season. Say you have never watched a WNBA game before this season, and you knew nothing of the player's histories. Watching the Lynx now without listening to the commentators, who would you think was the team's best player?

PostPosted: 07/24/17 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

So by your definition we should only be looking at who historically has been a team's best player, not who is currently playing the best on the team? If that is your standard, I couldn't disagree more.

Maya is having a down year by her standards. She has been very inefficient. Fowles, on the other hand, has been dominate since game one this season. Say you have never watched a WNBA game before this season, and you knew nothing of the player's histories. Watching the Lynx now without listening to the commentators, who would you think was the team's best player?

It would also mean that Nneka probably shouldn't have won it last year.

PostPosted: 07/24/17 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

No, you should be looking at whatever criteria you think are important. I have my criteria and by them my top 3 before Griner's injury would be Griner/Charles/Fowles. Syl is having a brilliant season, but it's like if Klay Thompson was having a great season for the Warriors with Curry slumping, you feel me? I just personally would prefer Tina Charles, who's putting up the same/better numbers than Fowles with worse supporting cast, even if Fowles is much better defensively.

As for the "best Lynx player" question, it would depend on the game.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 07/24/17 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Yea I wasn't a huge fan of Nneka winning last year. But she won because of historic efficiency and since that's the precedent, Fowles is going to win this year, barring any setback.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/24/17 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Shocked Idea Idea Idea

PostPosted: 07/24/17 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Fowles, on the other hand, has been dominate since game one this season.

Team effort.

justintyme wrote:
Say you have never watched a WNBA game before this season, and you knew nothing of the player's histories.

That definitely works in favor of Fowles. She's supposed to be this indomitable force inside and yet has never won a WNBA championship or a MVP without her current teammates. On the other hand, the Core Before has won two championships without Fowles. Curious how that works.

We even have both Brunson and Whalen as legitimate three point threats this season. That's only going to loosen up the lane for Fowles. In reality this season is probably the least doubled she's ever been in her career.

I'm not saying Fowles isn't in a great position to win MVP given the usual criteria (that aren't always held up), but to completely discount what Maya in particular and the other teammates mean to the team and Fowles' game is very hard to stomach.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/24/17 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

No, you should be looking at whatever criteria you think are important. I have my criteria and by them my top 3 before Griner's injury would be Griner/Charles/Fowles. Syl is having a brilliant season, but it's like if Klay Thompson was having a great season for the Warriors with Curry slumping, you feel me? I just personally would prefer Tina Charles, who's putting up the same/better numbers than Fowles with worse supporting cast, even if Fowles is much better defensively.

So that's the Fowles that's shooting 67% from the field for 20p/10r in 30mpg (a PER of 33, for those who like those sorts of things) vs the Charles getting her 20/10 in 33mpg shooting 46% (PER of 22)? Efficiency has to matter to some extent. Fowles is taking less than 12 shot attempts per game to get her points, while Charles needs 17.5 for hers. That's nearly six shots per game that the Lynx can do something else with.

I'm really not sure how you could see Charles as having better numbers, whatever light you're looking at them under.

PostPosted: 07/24/17 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

So that's the Fowles that's shooting 67% from the field for 20p/10r in 30mpg (a PER of 33, for those who like those sorts of things) vs the Charles getting her 20/10 in 33mpg shooting 46% (PER of 22)? Efficiency has to matter to some extent. Fowles is taking less than 12 shot attempts per game to get her points, while Charles needs 17.5 for hers. That's nearly six shots per game that the Lynx can do something else with.

I'm really not sure how you could see Charles as having better numbers, whatever light you're looking at them under.

The 3 best NYL scorers after Charles are shooting 42.1%, 35.2%, and 35.6%. That offense runs through Tina, depends on her. She has to be taking those shots in order for her team to win. Fowles doesn't. That's why Maya takes more shots than her.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/24/17 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do not want to listen to the truth or facts I demand alternative facts. Damn liberal fake news! Very Happy

PostPosted: 07/24/17 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

Welcome to Rebkell's, Aladyyn. Don't be shy, ok Wink

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

What's to say that Griner won't come back and pick up where she left off. If no one passes her in points will she be put back at the top as the leading scorer. I'd have to look up the # of games she would need to play in order to qualify for MVP.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/25/17 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

What's to say that Griner won't come back and pick up where she left off. If no one passes her in points will she be put back at the top as the leading scorer. I'd have to look up the # of games she would need to play in order to qualify for MVP.

There's no official qualifying number for MVP. Each voter can punish any player however much they'd like for however many games they may have missed. Candace Parker made it onto some people's ballots the year she skipped the first half of the season and only played 16.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: