RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jonquel Jones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrappy

PostPosted: 07/22/17 9:13 pm    ::: Jonquel Jones Reply Reply with quote

eye for talent? or just pure luck? i think connecticut found a real gem.

good bigs are hard to come by these days in basketball.

PostPosted: 07/22/17 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, when we did a poll who would be the best her year...after Stewie, I voted for Jonquel. She just has tremendous talent and still a lot of upside. I think anybody who watched her at all in college would have had a pretty good idea. But Chelsea was just what LA needed and Jonquel what CT needed, so it was a decent trade.

- Amanda Gorman
barryi22

PostPosted: 07/22/17 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought she was the most impressive player on the court today. She's not as polished as Stewart in some areas, but I think she has more upside and might be better than her already. Jonquel has good handles on the perimeter and her release from deep is effortless. The 10 point stretch she had in the first half was a thing of beauty. She's a unique breed of player with wing skills in a long, athletic 6-6 body.

She can also drive to the basket and finishes well around the rim. Offensively her potential is endless. I'd love to see her in a system that puts her as a wing who creates from 15-20 feet out, but also runs sets to get her on the block or within 10 feet.

Defensively, she could develop into a menace inside with her length and nose for rebounds. Stewart moves better off the ball, has a stronger midrange game, and is a better passer, but give Jones a couple of years to further develop in those areas and she honestly could be the best player in the league by 2020.

barryi22

PostPosted: 07/22/17 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="myrtle"]well, when we did a poll who would be the best her year...after Stewie, I voted for Jonquel. She just has tremendous talent and still a lot of upside. I think anybody who watched her at all in college would have had a pretty good idea. But Chelsea was just what LA needed and Jonquel what CT needed, so it was a decent trade.[/quote]

Great trade for both teams. LA doesn't win a title last year without Gray, and they aren't #2 in the league without Gray this year. Jones has been the centerpiece for a very surprising Connecticut team that is 3rd in the league.

If Gray stays in Connecticut, I don't think she gets the same opportunity to shine like she has at LA playing with J. Thomas, Bentley and A. Thomas. In LA she's the perfect fit with Toliver's departure.

If Jones was in LA, last year she likely sees fewer minutes behind Candace and Nneka. That said, if they put her at the 3 this year with Nneka/Candace at the 4/5, that would be one of heck of a scary front court...but they'd have no point guard.

blaase22

PostPosted: 07/22/17 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or you know the sun could have both
If they just drafted Jones over Banham.

barryi22 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
well, when we did a poll who would be the best her year...after Stewie, I voted for Jonquel. She just has tremendous talent and still a lot of upside. I think anybody who watched her at all in college would have had a pretty good idea. But Chelsea was just what LA needed and Jonquel what CT needed, so it was a decent trade.

Great trade for both teams. LA doesn't win a title last year without Gray, and they aren't #2 in the league without Gray this year. Jones has been the centerpiece for a very surprising Connecticut team that is 3rd in the league.

If Gray stays in Connecticut, I don't think she gets the same opportunity to shine like she has at LA playing with J. Thomas, Bentley and A. Thomas. In LA she's the perfect fit with Toliver's departure.

If Jones was in LA, last year she likely sees fewer minutes behind Candace and Nneka. That said, if they put her at the 3 this year with Nneka/Candace at the 4/5, that would be one of heck of a scary front court...but they'd have no point guard.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/23/17 6:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

barryi22 wrote:
If Jones was in LA, last year she likely sees fewer minutes behind Candace and Nneka.

A lot fewer, especially if Lavender is still on the team. Definitely wouldn't be an All Star this year. For the Sun, it's hard to say if she's an All Star if Chiney doesn't get hurt, so the stars were definitely in alignment for her.

barryi22 wrote:
That said, if they put her at the 3 this year with Nneka/Candace at the 4/5, that would be one of heck of a scary front court.

I think Nneka would be better at SF both size-wise and defensively. Plus she's a decent threat with the three ball.

barryi22 wrote:
but they'd have no point guard.

Toler screwed up by not locking up Toliver. I dunno.... does the time-space continuum allow Sims to still be on the team if they keep Jones? I've been hearing for years how great Sims is as a PG.

And did Agler ever really want Jones, or was that just his pick to facilitate a prearranged trade?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/23/17 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In college Jones showed flashes of brilliance that made people think she could be a megastar. She killed St. Joseph's on more than one occasion. But then she would also disappear for games. I thought of her in much the same way as I thought of Amber Harris, tremendous upside if she could ever commit herself 100% to not only playing basketball, but learning how to utilize her skills within a team concept. Alas, Amber has never been able to do this. Congratulations to Jonquel and the Connecticut coaching staff. She should be a star for many years to come, and if she and Cheney can stay healthy and play well together, the Sun will be shining brightly.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/23/17 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jones also needs to thank Chiney for being injured this season. Would Miller have started Jones if Chiney was playing this season(& bring A Thomas off the bench)? Who knows what kind of line-up they would have started with(JThomas-Bentley-AThomas-Jones-Ogwumike?). Now for next season they should start JThomas-Williams-AThomas-Jones-Ogwumike. Their main bench players would be Kizer-Stricklen-Tuck & their draft pick.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/23/17 10:19 am    ::: Re: Jonquel Jones Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
eye for talent? or just pure luck? i think connecticut found a real gem.

good bigs are hard to come by these days in basketball.

It wasn't just pure luck. Miller wanted Jonquel well before draft night happened. He and the Sparks had the deal in place to trade Gray for her earlier that day.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/23/17 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chiney being out put more pressure on Jonquel, but she was going to start in Camille Little's spot. Everyone says Chiney, Chiney, but it's dumping Little that opened that spot. Kizer was brought in for insurance.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/23/17 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
In college Jones showed flashes of brilliance that made people think she could be a megastar. She killed St. Joseph's on more than one occasion. But then she would also disappear for games. I thought of her in much the same way as I thought of Amber Harris, tremendous upside if she could ever commit herself 100% to not only playing basketball, but learning how to utilize her skills within a team concept. Alas, Amber has never been able to do this. Congratulations to Jonquel and the Connecticut coaching staff. She should be a star for many years to come, and if she and Cheney can stay healthy and play well together, the Sun will be shining brightly.

Jones didn't always look to score, but I wouldn't say that she disappeared. In the games I saw, Jonquel would still be out there rebounding and serving as a presence on defense. Hell, lots of times she'd be the player bringing the ball up court. In contrast, Amber Harris really did disappear for long stretches. It was almost the norm for her to play hard for about five minutes each half -- enough to rack up 20 & 10 -- and then you wouldn't hear her name again. I think Jones' stock was severely hurt by her injury late in her senior year. She missed 10 games, and then looked rusty when she came back. That's pretty much the worst time to get hurt since scouts are narrowing down the field and really focusing on the players they want. But if you saw Jonquel earlier in the year, there was no questioning her talent -- especially that Stanford game where she put up 27 & 17 and shot 5/6 from 3pt range.

PostPosted: 07/23/17 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was wrong about her and I'm glad I was. She was still so raw in college- I didn't know how much she would develop so quickly.

(now with spelling variations)
sigur3

PostPosted: 07/23/17 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

idk, when I watched her in college, I saw a player who was just oozing potential. Raw yes, but she already had the length and mobility (things you can't teach) and was ahead of the curve with the handle and the 3-point shot. Defending without fouling and getting into WNBA shape were her biggest obstacles IMO, as long as she can do that then the sky's the limit for her.

I think it's interesting how the age of the hybrid forward with EDD, Parker, Stewart, Nneka, etc. is discussed and while Jones is often thrown into that conversation, she's even a different player than any of those others. That girl is gonna be something special.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/23/17 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

I never thought Harris had the mobility or shooting ability of JJ. She also had more of a supporting cast at xavier which maybe made her look better than she was. Though she had potential, it has never looked like she has much motivation.

- Amanda Gorman
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/23/17 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
idk, when I watched her in college, I saw a player who was just oozing potential. Raw yes, but she already had the length and mobility (things you can't teach) and was ahead of the curve with the handle and the 3-point shot. Defending without fouling and getting into WNBA shape were her biggest obstacles IMO, as long as she can do that then the sky's the limit for her.

I think it's interesting how the age of the hybrid forward with EDD, Parker, Stewart, Nneka, etc. is discussed and while Jones is often thrown into that conversation, she's even a different player than any of those others. That girl is gonna be something special.

She looks and plays a lot like Azura' Stevens. Or should I say, Azura' after a year playing for Geno. Obviously JJ has been proving it in the WNBA, while Azura' is potential. Same height. Same inside/outside game. We'll see how she does this year at UConn. After seeing her at Duke, I COMPLETELY supported her transfer as I saw a player who could come out of the gates earning big bucks instead of waiting 2-3 years to develop after college (like other Duke wbb players have had to).

~rAf
stever

PostPosted: 07/23/17 7:11 pm    ::: Former UConn stars rave about Jonquel Jones Reply Reply with quote

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20170723/former-uconn-stars-rave-about-connecticut-suns-jonquel-jones

Quote:
Taurasi and fellow former Husky Sue Bird made sure to stop Jones and chat a little after the game.

It gave Jones a chance to apologize to Bird for missing the party on Friday night, but also gave Taurasi the opportunity to offer words of encouragement to the 23-year-old native of the Bahamas.

“I just said, keep the wave going,” Taurasi said. “Use this momentum because it’s moments like this that for a young kid can go a long way. She just has a certain ability that not many people have, so if she puts herself in the right positions as far as playing basketball and taking it serious and really wants to be one of the best to ever play, not everyone has that set of skills. I just told her to keep the wave going.”

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/24/17 6:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Or you know the sun could have both
If they just drafted Jones over Banham.

barryi22 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Miller didn't want both. Sure Gray has blossomed this season in LA, but when she was in Connecticut, even if briefly, she looked horrible and slow. Sure she was coming off injuries, but that's another reason Miller didn't want her. Her injury prone history. She didn't really fit into Miller's system as an atheltic uptempo point guard either. Now, comparing her to Rachel Banham, keeping Gray as Jazzz's backup would have been a much better option as Banham is still quite crappy. Miller went from having a better option as Thomas's backup to basically no option as Thomas's backup. So yes, I'd rather have had the Sun draft Tuck 3rd and Jones 4th and kept Gray as Thomas's backup. But in retrospect, both Jazzz and Gray have blossomed after being separated. Both are starter worthy, and now both are all-stars.

In the upcoming draft, the Sun need to focus their attention on drafting a great guard and deleting Rachel Banham. The best option would probably be Kia Nurse.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/24/17 6:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what country would Jones be playing for in FIBA or the Olympics.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/24/17 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Id assume the bahamas , but .....

PostPosted: 07/24/17 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Bahama's but I don't think they qualified, so I'm guessing none. Which I'd be happy about.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/24/17 10:05 am    ::: Re: Jonquel Jones Reply Reply with quote

nm

toad455

PostPosted: 07/24/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are there any other US college players on the Bahamas NT?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
fanaticka

PostPosted: 07/24/17 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Waltiea Rolle, who played for North Carolina, is from the Bahamas, but I don't think she is currently on the team.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/24/17 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fanaticka wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Waltiea Rolle, who played for North Carolina, is from the Bahamas, but I don't think she is currently on the team.

Neither was Jones in their most recent tournament. awhom111 helpfully recounted it all, including the Bahamas squad: http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92124

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: