RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tully...not quite right???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:13 pm    ::: Tully...not quite right??? Reply Reply with quote

Rumor has it that Tully has actually NOT signed with SASS, but has actually signed with Indiana.

Trying to get confirmation on this...

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

now THAT makes more sense. I thought SASS didn't sound right.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That might make more sense...

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm...

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:24 pm    ::: Re: Tully...not quite right??? Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Rumor has it that Tully has actually NOT signed with SASS, but has actually signed with Indiana.

Trying to get confirmation on this...

That makes even less sense than the SASS. The Fever already have a backup PG with a career 2.17 ATO ratio (compared to Tully's 1.61) and who shoots better from three than Tully does from the floor, not to mention being 5 years younger.

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight wrote:
Quote:
That makes even less sense than the SASS. The Fever already have a backup PG with a career 2.17 ATO ratio (compared to Tully's 1.61) and who shoots better from three than Tully does from the floor, not to mention being 5 years younger.

Are you referring to Niele Ivey, Pilight? If so, it is quite possible, Ivey will be back in the starting lineup, moving Kelly Miller to the 2 (where she is better suited).

Last edited by CamrnCrz1974 on 02/10/05 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:26 pm    ::: Re: Tully...not quite right??? Reply Reply with quote

Making less sense is exactly why the Fever Org. would sign her...

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Are you referring to Niele Ivey, Pilight? If so, it is quite possible, Ivey will be back in the starting lineup, moving Kelly Miller to the 2 (where she is better suited).

That means Deanna Jackson goes to the bench? Or more ridiculously undersized front-line games with Catch at the 4 and Nat Williams at the 5?

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deanna and Niele for Pee Wee?

(not that I don't like those two in Indy)

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
Deanna and Niele for Pee Wee?

(not that I don't like those two in Indy)

If I were running the SASS and you made me that offer, I would do it quick before you came to your senses.

They could move Jackson to the 4. She's a better rebounder than she's been allowed to show, she's taller than Catch, and it allows the superstar to stay in her best position.

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

That means Deanna Jackson goes to the bench? Or more ridiculously undersized front-line games with Catch at the 4 and Nat Williams at the 5?

I was a huge Deanna Jackson fan and thought she would be great in Indiana. As it stands, she was one of the biggest disappointments of 2004. She scored fewer points than she did in Cleveland...and in more minutes. She only averaged 6.9 points per game, while shooting 36 percent from the floor. And she did not even make one three pointer last season, after making 29 (and shooting 41 percent from beyond the arc) in 2003.

If I were the Fever, I would consider trading for Coco Miller, as I think the Miller twins can both be effective if, and only if, they play together. If not, then start Ivey, Miller, Catch, Sandora Irvin (if they can get her at #2), and Williams. Deanna Jackson will be good as the backup 2 and 3, with Tully as the backup point.

Slovydal wrote:

They could move Jackson to the 4. She's a better rebounder than she's been allowed to show, she's taller than Catch, and it allows the superstar to stay in her best position.

I disagree. Jackson is very slender and weighs less than Catchings. I think she is best suited as moving between the 2 and the 3 off the bench.

Last edited by CamrnCrz1974 on 02/10/05 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deanna's an incredible rebounder.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well said Cam; I think you're going to see a pretty "severe" reshaping of the Indiana team this offseason.

They were a big disappointment last year, and a sold veteran backup PG like Tully, with strong defensive skills and a championship background will be an asset in determining who shall stay and who shall go.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Catch at the 3 and Deanna as her back up.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, see her weight (only 159 pounds). She has never averaged more than 3.3 rebounds per game.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everyone in Indiana had a bad year, partly because everybody on the team was playing out of position. Cryin' Kelly Miller as 2 playing the 1, Deanna Jackson as a 3/4 playing the 2, Catch as a 3 playing the 4, Nat Williams as a 4 playing the 5, Steph White as a bench player in the starting lineup, Ebony Hoffman as a big nothing getting to play at all, and so on.

A rational team would have fired Winters before Halloween, then again a rational team would have never hired him in the first place...

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That sums it up perfectly!
All the players had bad shot percentages from getting jerked around so much.
The first time I saw Deanna in a Fever uniform at a pre-season game I was blown away by her rebounding. It was HOW she went after the ball that impressed me.
My question about Deanna and Niele for Pee Wee is based on the knowledge of how fond Dan is of Deanna, and the Fever's tendency to "overpay" Also, I wonder if they appreciate Niele in the first place.

Fever - go ahead and tank the season to get rid of Winters and draft Nikki Blue.
Make Dawn Staley an offer she can't refuse to coach in '06

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Everyone in Indiana had a bad year, partly because everybody on the team was playing out of position

Quote:
That makes even less sense than the SASS.

Pilight, how do you reconcile your two comments? First you say the signing did not make sense because of Ivey, but then note everyone played out of position. Wouldn't it follow that it would make more sense to have Ivey as a true point in the starting lineup, with a Tully as a true point backing her up?

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 02/10/05 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovy had a liquid lunch today...J/K, man.

I had never put my finger on why the Fever struggled so much last year, because they obviously have some talent...more obviously in the wrong places.

Which brings to mind the subject of a coach pushing his "system" versus utilizing a system that uses the "players" he/she has on the roster.

I see VC guilty of this at this point in his coaching career.

Any thoughts from my favorite bball mavens?

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/05 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
how do you reconcile your two comments? First you say the signing did not make sense because of Ivey, but then note everyone played out of position. Wouldn't it follow that it would make more sense to have Ivey as a true point in the starting lineup, with a Tully as a true point backing her up?

Nah, I'd use Kelly Miller as the backup point, sliding her over and bringing in Coretta Brown (or Steph White, or even Starbird) at the 2. I'd prefer Cryin' Kelly as a backup PG than Tully.

PostPosted: 02/10/05 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd prefer Cryin' Kelly as a backup PG than Tully.

You're kidding me right? What has Kelly ever won except her silly award from last year? Tully is a proven, hard nosed, tough defending in your face veteran WITH A RING, which is what Indiana needs.

Let Kelly go join Coco in Washington. Give me Tully instead if I'm trying to build a champion while Nat Williams is around and Tamika's still young!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/10/05 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting, Pilight. I agree regarding Coretta. She really was not used well by Winters last year.

That being said, I only think Kelly can play the point effectively if Coco is the 2.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/10/05 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't get the Coretta fascination around here. Even in the NWBl she's only playing 19 min. a game and has more TOs than assists. Kim Williams and Keisha Anderson are getting more run than she is.

What's the deal? Why does everyone think she's so hot?

Alepp03

PostPosted: 02/10/05 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am more concerned with what happened with Coco last year. In 03, she proved she could get it done even without Claw on the court averaging 12.5 ppg on a really solid shooting percentage (45%, 36% from 3)

Last year, she played much less, was less effective, but still shot a decent percentage (43%). I understand that her and Alana more or less play the same position, and I would pick Alana over Coco any day, but I really think that Coco can be a starter in this league. Against the Sting in 02 she was silent but deadly. She doesn't make a lot of noise or command a lot of attention, but she racks up a decent stat line and does her job. She isn't necessarily a star, but she does have the goods to be a star-ter.

Maybe in 06 the Millers can rejoin in Chicago... haha

PostPosted: 02/10/05 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
What has Kelly ever won except her silly award from last year? Tully is a proven, hard nosed, tough defending in your face veteran WITH A RING, which is what Indiana needs.

Tully got a ring by sitting on the bench. She was about as important to the Storm's run as Kelly Miller was to the Sting's trip to the 2001 finals.

Charlotte went to the playoffs every year Miller was there, and suddenly missed when she was gone. Tully has been in the league since 2000 and never saw the playoffs until last year.

Kelly Miller led the entire WNBA in 3P% in 2002. Tully has never led the league in anything.

Kelly Miller went to the F4 as a collegian and hit the game winner in the last seconds of the finals of the SEC tournament as a senior.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: