RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Let's dream together...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/21/17 3:35 am    ::: Let's dream together... Reply Reply with quote

And dream big! lol.

So I was watching a YouTube video featuring the great studio guitarist, Larry Carlton. And the interviewer said that he lived in Nashville but Larry said that he'd recently moved to someplace called Wilson County because he likes to fish.

WELL. That was all the jammer had to hear and I was off down another internet rabbit hole looking at properties on Zillow near where Larry Carlton says he lives. So I found this place. lol. I said, dream big. So let's start at the top.

I like old places. Very old. In theory, anyway. I want some acres and I want direct access to some kind of water that looks like a naked supermodel to my city weary eyes. So that's my trip. Use this thread to show what floats your own boats. I've got a lot of places to show.

Starting with this stunner. Built by her husband for the Belle of Nashville. Very Happy $3.9M

The Fairvue Plantation

I don't like all the dark wood. And honestly, if I had the money I wouldn't buy this place. The land itself doesn't thrill me and you would need to employ a Downton Abbey sized staff.

I found this place near Morgantown WV. I really like the look of it. Isolated and almost British. Like you could shoot one of those dreary horror films here. And look at the PRICE...lol... and what you get for the money. It's closer to home. Steeler Country. That lake is very nice to look at and has fish in it but it has been and is in the process of being rehabilitated after years of mining runoff.

Morgantown for $859,900

I've got more. Embarassed Lots more.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/21/17 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 07/21/17 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back in the mid-90's someone left a "higher end real estate" magazine lying around work. It was almost all property in crowded areas and mostly California, particularly Beverly Hills area. Then they had one place in Wisconsin. It was the same price as the other properties, but instead of an acre or two, it was over 200. And bigger square footage with extra amenities like an indoor to go with the outdoor pool and tennis courts. And some number of golf holes. Just an amazing amount of stuff extra if you were willing to sell your Bel Air house and live in suburban or rural Wisconsin.

Last edited by tfan on 07/22/17 12:45 am; edited 3 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 07/21/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having never owned anything more than a small condo, I dream about leaving expensive California and getting a house somewhere where they are cheap. Doesn't even have to be nice and in a good location, but that is the type I will use as desktop wallpaper:

Richard 77

PostPosted: 07/22/17 12:06 am    ::: Re: Let's dream together... Reply Reply with quote

The only dream I have is to be a well-respected and well-read author. I don't need big fancy houses, or sleek cars. I just want to be debt-free. I do have items on a bucket list like biking the U.S., Poland and Romania, as well as finding a nice woman to share my dream with and having a family, but all in due time...

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/22/17 2:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Yeah one of the issues I have with both of the properties I started with is I'm not too keen about lakes. I'm into creeks. Streams. Small rivers. Clean with lots of shade. So this pic looks great to me. Maybe a little too close to the cottage for me but it ain't my dream. Wink

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/22/17 3:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Back in the mid-90's someone left a "higher end real estate" magazine lying around work. It was almost all property in crowded areas and mostly California, particularly Beverly Hills area. Then they had one place in Wisconsin. It was the same price as the other properties, but instead of an acre or two, it was over 200. And bigger square footage with extra amenities like an indoor to go with the outdoor pool and tennis courts. And some number of golf holes. Just an amazing amount of stuff extra if you were willing to sell your Bel Air house and live in suburban or rural Wisconsin.

I've been on Zillow and probably an earlier competitor of Zillow for about 6 years or so. So this I know and it's a pretty good yardstick I think.

In terms of house and land, qualities all being equal, the difference in prices for what you get between California (in general, where you'd want to live) and most of the rest of the country is 10x. Not in every case and not to the dollar but this is pretty much the difference in the money. Land is a wild card of course. A pretty dumpy old farmhouse and barn on 300 acres of prime farmland changes the equation.

In many cases the gap would be more like 5x, 7x, but more often than not my eyeballs see it right up there near 10. Now in the case of the first mansion in Tennessee that I posted, that would not be going for $39M here in Beverly Hills. But it would definitely be in the upper 20s. The second place, $800K^ in Morgantown WV, in Beverly Hills or north of Montana in Santa Monica, that same place would run you an easy $8M. No question.

So, for me, uh... I'm never going to own anything here. Thus the theme of this thread is, for me, taking California money and (dreaming, of course) seeing what that would get us elsewhere in the country.

So, just to blow your minds, the $800K the second house I posted costs, would get you, if you'd have it, a 2+2 800-900 square foot condo on the Westside of LA. Less than that , say $599-699K, will get you a 650 square foot 1+1. And I'm here to tell you, big buildings, shared laundries, and all the problems and issues of too many people living on top of each other. There's no way we're ever going to buy a 40+ unit apartment building lifestyle here when we can just rent it for less and be free and clear. Anyway.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/22/17 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Having never owned anything more than a small condo, I dream about leaving expensive California and getting a house somewhere where they are cheap. Doesn't even have to be nice and in a good location, but that is the type I will use as desktop wallpaper:

Something we have in common. Wink

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/22/17 12:28 pm    ::: Re: Let's dream together... Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
The only dream I have is to be a well-respected and well-read author. I don't need big fancy houses, or sleek cars. I just want to be debt-free. I do have items on a bucket list like biking the U.S., Poland and Romania, as well as finding a nice woman to share my dream with and having a family, but all in due time...

Well I hear you on the first sentence regarding accomplishments. I have many that I'm working on as well and I wish you luck in achieving your dreams in that area.

Travel isn't the highest priority for me but sure I'd like to do some more.

As far as finding or having a nice woman to share your life with... that's where things become... well... you're then on the other side of something, through a looking glass, so to speak, and your life's priorities and concerns and responsibilities change to include this person who is now like a second YOU. lol.

So for so long now I haven't been running on my own desires or needs in terms of what dreams I have. I'm getting a lot of input as well. Wink

After 40 years together and knowing someone is likely to be around after the other one isn't... me being the dude who concerns himself with what the future holds... not really her thing... I have to take a cold hard look at many things. First we assumed for most of the last 30 years in Cali that LA IS our home, and would be for the rest of our lives. Ideally, that would, at this point, be the preferable case. For many reasons, financial, the prospect of getting around the city as our driving skills continue to fade in the face of probably the most intense driving experience in the United States... all of that stuff... it will take almost a well-played chess game level of moves on our part to ensure that we are able to remain here on the westside.

We will be confined to an apartment. Dealing with changing housing market pressures and landlords who are in this to make money, after all. There are always stories of seniors being evicted under the Hatch act and for other snaky reasons that apartment owners and ownership companies cook up. There's plenty of laws in LA but very little mechanism in terms of enforcing those laws.

My entire adult life I've had one primary job and that is ensuring the happiness and well being of mrs jammer. So in this situation we're in, I can easily see, should something happen to me, the many vulnerabilities that she could and would be facing. The shit is daunting.

This place has changed so much. This is, like Manhattan, ground zero for the new gilded age in America. The influx of the well to do from around the globe puts tremendous pressure on people who are not seriously affluent themselves. We're doing okay. But this is the big pond. And it gets deeper and deeper every passing day.

All of this has us entertaining the thought of taking our California money and running back to where you can get a nice house in a great neighborhood for a fraction of what that would cost in California. So the difference for us is this. Accepting that we will never own a home of our own and staying here in a really nice apartment in Beverly Hills or Santa Monica. Or, incredibly, finding that you could actually buy a HECK of a home on a good sized lot in a fairly affluent neighborhood in PA, Maryland, the South somewhere, etc.

Anyway. It's nice to have options. They have been hard earned. And it becomes a pretty weighty responsibility to figure out what would be best for both of us. I'm just trying to have some fun with it. Wink

Again, good luck to you.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/22/17 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about Aliquippa, Pennsylvania? lol. Never thought I'd see something that looks like this back in the old 15-double-oh-1. But there it is and look at THAT price.

Pinehaven Court

So I'm just throwing this up there because it looks so California, on the outside, and is only $579K. This house would be between $5-6M just about anywhere within ten miles of the coast in California. But the interior? Yikes. Not for me. So I won't even post the pics. Anyway. I'm bummed a house I wanted to show is gone. Sad

tfan

PostPosted: 07/22/17 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
tfan wrote:

Something we have in common. Wink

So what areas are you looking at? I loved Portland decades ago, but they just keep filling it in and making it more expensive. So I am considering further south in Oregon or southern Washington. Which is about the only area I vacation to. I have a neighbor who is looking at Reno which sounds very cheap now, but with Tesla and Google expanding there it may start moving up if it hasn't already.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/22/17 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay. I GOTTA weigh in here. Laughing

(By the way, if ANYONE here can help me post pics of my own, I'd be DELIGHTED to share what IS my Dream Realized....I just can't get 'em here!)

For now, I'll post facsimiles of what I have as illustrations of Dreams Realized:
[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLKnZ8zT171pV1p5koS_zcy9vYdOpiMeTCoc497iZ4O-TolR2YAg[/img] My home is of similar size. On a half-acre lot.

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFIrwW9Gh7AvgrcSrvkQr8Hk7UCuxUtD5eXKGkmUx2-ZECeUmoNw[/img] I have 3 goats a bit like these. I have wanted my own goats since I was a kid (pun intended).

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRGHm292b8HfnDEFOBfB6c_42J4-wD7ODMXS3OxQ_DyiuBNNIVzw[/img] I am retired from a career as a teacher, which was my most burning desire as a youngster.

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRI8C9Oa_GvlgDMkeOqqjEzsdp-luhg7PAl-ePf_4ttjmpsfu3ZPw[/img] I made my partner of 22 years my husband in 2012.

^(Jammer, can you fix these?)^

While I love the pretty pics of houses that are (for many) quite unattainable--especially if you live in Cali--I have come to believe that these HUGE aspirations of Large Material Acquisitions are maybe a significant part of what's wrong with our society: WE'RE TOO GREEDY.

No. There is nothing "wrong" with desiring/dreaming of such material things, but the expectation that one has somehow NOT fulfilled an important dream if you DON'T get that far is a source of great unhappiness, and the perception that you AREN'T living The American Dream.

If I'm not mistaken, the OP here was meant to invoke thought about how various Dreams--and their attainment--may vary with geography. I merely suggest that, since Dreams are CREATED by ourselves, we keep them realistic and not predicate them on what (our corporate machinery/media) feed to us as The American Way: Bigger/Better/Pricier/BUY-HAVE MORE.

Recognize and affirm the Dreams you already live. Cool

PostPosted: 07/23/17 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My dream house Very Happy

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/23/17 2:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

I hear you, Howee, and I can assure you that both me and the mrs jammer are truly appreciative.

But to say I'm weary of this city is understatement. And I have great concerns about what the future holds for us here in a megalopolis of greed and opulence.

I long to be around some serious nature. I grew up where the woods was never more than a few blocks away. Creeks, fields, meadows, wooded paths. So it's not an endless American materialism I'm chasing but a desire to get back to having some space around me that's green, quiet, and mine.

The question of whether it is even RESPONSIBLE to continue for the duration of your life pouring California rent money out of your pocketbook and into a landlord's wallet, or whether the wiser choice is to run away from that like bats out of hell and get somewhere where rents, property values, mortgages etc. would enable to you OWN your own home... these are all concerns that we would be negligent to not be considering. Anyway.

I don't think I can help you with your images, they don't end in an image format I recognize. But let me see what I can do.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/23/17 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

(By the way, if ANYONE here can help me post pics of my own, I'd be DELIGHTED to share what IS my Dream Realized....I just can't get 'em here!)

I upload pictures that can't be linked with an [iimg] tag to tinypic.com. There may be better ones as tinypic is slow and dies sometimes, but it's free.
Quote:

For now, I'll post facsimiles of what I have as illustrations of Dreams Realized:
[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLKnZ8zT171pV1p5koS_zcy9vYdOpiMeTCoc497iZ4O-TolR2YAg[/img] My home is of similar size. On a half-acre lot.

Quote:

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFIrwW9Gh7AvgrcSrvkQr8Hk7UCuxUtD5eXKGkmUx2-ZECeUmoNw[/img] I have 3 goats a bit like these. I have wanted my own goats since I was a kid (pun intended).

Quote:

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRGHm292b8HfnDEFOBfB6c_42J4-wD7ODMXS3OxQ_DyiuBNNIVzw[/img] I am retired from a career as a teacher, which was my most burning desire as a youngster.

Quote:
[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRI8C9Oa_GvlgDMkeOqqjEzsdp-luhg7PAl-ePf_4ttjmpsfu3ZPw[/img] I made my partner of 22 years my husband in 2012.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/23/17 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Howee wrote:

I upload pictures that can't be linked with an [iimg] tag to tinypic.com. There may be better ones as tinypic is slow and dies sometimes, but it's free.
Quote:

My home is of similar size. On a half-acre lot.

Quote:

I have 3 goats a bit like these. I have wanted my own goats since I was a kid (pun intended).

Quote:

I am retired from a career as a teacher, which was my most burning desire as a youngster.

Laughing This is NOT the image I provided for myself as a teacher, Tfan!! Laughing

Quote:
I made my partner of 22 years my husband in 2012.

#NATC

PostPosted: 07/23/17 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

Imgur.com is another good one that doesn't need you to sign up for an account. It also has a phone app.

PostPosted: 07/24/17 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Howee wrote:

I hear you, Howee, and I can assure you that both me and the mrs jammer are truly appreciative.

In the appreciative dept. We come home from dinner last night and we're standing next to our cars in the street talking to a neighbor lady. A Range Rover drives past and I'm thinking... is that ......?

Conversation continues then I see this person walking up the sidewalk behind us, right past our building, etc. and I'm "HEY!, great concert at the Kodak Theater a few years ago." He's on the cell phone but he puts his hands together like humble prayer kind of thing and says thank you. I'm like... "That tune, Sail On, LOVE that." By now the girls are like, "We love you, Lionel!" Etc. He was like, "Thank you so much," etc. Super humble and nice. Anyway. So... yeah... we have to and do remain appreciative. Just figured I'd share.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: